2012-2013 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I was floored by the amazing people at this school throughout the application process! Best of luck to everyone applying, and GO GATORS!!!

Do they accept Canadians?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard so many good things about UF! Really excited to be applying here. Hopefully they'll show me some love

So... do they accept Canadians? :)

Good luck to everyone applying this year, in cweave's absence I will try to hang around and answer any questions you have. So feel free to ask me ANYTHING about my experience applying to and/or studying here at UF COM

I will be applying here.... I am instate and I have a few friends who will be M3 here so I would not mind getting in here but I don't expect much because my Stats are not the strongest...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying here.... I am instate and I have a few friends who will be M3 here so I would not mind getting in here but I don't expect much because my Stats are not the strongest...

The admissions committee is definitely not all about the stats anymore.....I debated not even applying to UF because i did not have strong letters of rec from my science professors and I know a few of my other classmates who didn't think they had a chance to get in based on their stats......don't count yourself out

The admissions committee is definitely not all about the stats anymore.....I debated not even applying to UF because i did not have strong letters of rec from my science professors and I know a few of my other classmates who didn't think they had a chance to get in based on their stats......don't count yourself out

Believe it i am not out until the fat lady sings ... I will stick with it until acceptance or rejection. Thanks for the boost though

Hey all! Good luck. I'll try my best to answer questions as well, just having lived through the process. It's surreal so think I'll be starting soon.

Also, this year will be the first year for the new curriculum, which looks to be pretty exciting. I'll be able to post more details about that once our class starts.

This is one of my top choices! Excited to start the application process! Good luck to everyone applying :xf:

AMCAS primary submitted on 6/6. Hoping for the best!

Has there been any news about their new curriculum yet? I'm excited to find out more about it.

Not yet but I am sure a new student will be happy to tell us all about it in due time...

I'll be able to tell you more in a few weeks. This is what they covered in second look:
  1. Block scheduling - They rearranged the information by systems. The first part of the year will still be anatomy and basics of medicine.
  2. Reduced time in basic science - Basic sciences will be covered in 18 instead of 24 months. Step 1 will be taken in March/April of second year.
  3. Reduction in lecture hours - They reworked the lectures to take out overly redundant information.
  4. Small groups - The class will be broken up into 17ish small groups. A member for the faculty will be assigned to each group. Every Tuesday and/or Wednesday the group meets to cover important information from lectures, look at case studies, etc. You are with the same small group for all of your basic science curriculum.
  5. Fridays - Friday afternoons are left open for "discovery" (research), shadowing, studying, etc.
  6. Preceptorships - Are still included in the curriculum.
  7. Summer between MS1 and MS2 - Is still open. Looks like they strongly encourage the MSRP in the summer, but it's not required.
  8. Clinical rotations - Start the second year after Step 1, so there's more rotations.

I'll let you all know how it goes throughout the year. I'm really excited, especially about the small group aspect of the curriculum. I'm not overly excited about taking Step 1 in the spring, but at least it will be over sooner. Hope that helps!

I'll be able to tell you more in a few weeks. This is what they covered in second look:
  1. Block scheduling - They rearranged the information by systems. The first part of the year will still be anatomy and basics of medicine.
  2. Reduced time in basic science - Basic sciences will be covered in 18 instead of 24 months. Step 1 will be taken in March/April of second year.
  3. Reduction in lecture hours - They reworked the lectures to take out overly redundant information.
  4. Small groups - The class will be broken up into 17ish small groups. A member for the faculty will be assigned to each group. Every Tuesday and/or Wednesday the group meets to cover important information from lectures, look at case studies, etc. You are with the same small group for all of your basic science curriculum.
  5. Fridays - Friday afternoons are left open for "discovery" (research), shadowing, studying, etc.
  7. Summer between MS1 and MS2 - Is still open. Looks like they strongly encourage the MSRP in the summer, but it's not required.
  8. Clinical rotations - Start the second year after Step 1, so there's more rotations.

I'll let you all know how it goes throughout the year. I'm really excited, especially about the small group aspect of the curriculum. I'm not overly excited about taking Step 1 in the spring, but at least it will be over sooner. Hope that helps!

It does thank you... Let us know how things are going as you get going...

This is sort of along the lines of what I was expecting, so I'm glad it's happening. Thanks for the info!

does anyone know how much the secondary changes from year to year? I saw last year's topics and they were not that great

I am also an incoming first year medical student. While I don't get on here much, I am open to any questions you guys may have on the interview process (it's still pretty fresh in my memory) or on the medical school in general.

In regards to the essays, I actually preferred last year's essays to the essays given in prior application years. They were more meaningful (in my opinion) because the topics revolved around some very important aspects of the medical career.

Good luck! UFCOM is a great school!

IMO it is the quality of the letter that is key..........better to have three strong letters from people who know you well and can write more than just the generic bla bla bla letter than add in a 4th not so great letter just to have another letter....

IMO it is the quality of the letter that is key..........better to have three strong letters from people who know you well and can write more than just the generic bla bla bla letter than add in a 4th not so great letter just to have another letter....

Completely agree. :thumbup:

all five are required here but other schools give the extra two as optional

I was just verified and got the secondary. They work fast! How many activities did you guys put for in between graduation and enrollment? I will be graduating at the end of next spring, so it would only be summer activities.

I was just verified and got the secondary. They work fast! How many activities did you guys put for in between graduation and enrollment? I will be graduating at the end of next spring, so it would only be summer activities.

I don't really think that field matters that much, especially if you're not taking time off in between (that is, if it's only going to be the summer). As far as I understand it, that part of the application is dealt with by some centralized UF grad school department and isn't part of the actual secondary that goes to the med school admissions committee. Just put whatever you're doing in that time. I just put that I'm visiting my dad's family cause that's the only out of the ordinary thing I'm doing that summer.

I don't really think that field matters that much, especially if you're not taking time off in between (that is, if it's only going to be the summer). As far as I understand it, that part of the application is dealt with by some centralized UF grad school department and isn't part of the actual secondary that goes to the med school admissions committee. Just put whatever you're doing in that time. I just put that I'm visiting my dad's family cause that's the only out of the ordinary thing I'm doing that summer.

Thanks!

Is anyone having trouble making the gatorlink account to check the application status after submission? I submitted yesterday but when I put in the id to make the account, it doesn't work.

So, it's likely they changed things this year, but there was some confusion with the secondaries at UF last year as well. We got TWO different "secondaries" that we had to fill out. First, we got an application that goes out to all students applying to UF graduate schools. This one had things about state residency and "what are you doing in between undergraduate and graduate school." There were a few very general essays, if I'm recalling correctly. Then, about a month or so later, we got the actual secondary for the medical school. This had essays that were very specific to the medical school.

From what I'm reading, it looks like they sent out the 1st, more general secondary, but not the medical school specific one. I could be totally wrong on this, though!

So, it's likely they changed things this year, but there was some confusion with the secondaries at UF last year as well. We got TWO different "secondaries" that we had to fill out. First, we got an application that goes out to all students applying to UF graduate schools. This one had things about state residency and "what are you doing in between undergraduate and graduate school." There were a few very general essays, if I'm recalling correctly. Then, about a month or so later, we got the actual secondary for the medical school. This had essays that were very specific to the medical school.

From what I'm reading, it looks like they sent out the 1st, more general secondary, but not the medical school specific one. I could be totally wrong on this, though!

This is how it was when I applied as well. First app is a general UF Graduate School app that is processed on main campus....Later, we received the real Secondary App. directly from UF COM...

They sent both in the same email. The first is to basically get into the system and establish a UF account per se and get residency info. Later in the email they included a link to the app with username and password. The "second" secondary is the same interface used for Columbia, NYU, and Hofstra. This is the spot that has the essays. I'm a UF undergrad right now so I kind of understand the rigamarole. Hope this clears up any confusion.

They sent both in the same email. The first is to basically get into the system and establish a UF account per se and get residency info. Later in the email they included a link to the app with username and password. The "second" secondary is the same interface used for Columbia, NYU, and Hofstra. This is the spot that has the essays. I'm a UF undergrad right now so I kind of understand the rigamarole. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks! you're a lifesaver

Even if you were applying to UF vet school or even just regular graduate school you would have to do that first part of the application. Not sure of the reason but it is what it is lol

Status
Not open for further replies.