2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Is the OOS tuition as horrible as I heard?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I will be an incoming MS1 this fall. Let me know if you have any questions about the app process! It's going to be a tough, long year, but it's definitely worth it :)

Ha, not as bad as SIU, they charge a meager $82K per year for OOS.

The only OOS SIU accepts is combined MD/JD. That being said, UIC's OOS tuition is insane.

:eek:

After seeing those numbers, I don't think I'll be applying here.

UIC offers a scholarship that covers the difference between OOS and IS tuition. From what I have noticed in the past two app cycles, these are usually given to students that have marked 'disadvantaged' on their AMCAS app, or to students that are URM.

Seeing that you are hispanic in your MDApps, I would apply if I were you. The secondary is not bad at all, and you might get the scholarship if you earn acceptance. Good luck!

I see that UIC accepts a wide-range of MCAT scores and GPA. Is this largely due to URMs or are their numbers less for non-URMs also? I am just curious because I am not URM but I have a lower than average MCAT and GPA. (I am also OOS but with significant ties to Illinois)

Another question, sorry: Does anyone know what the policy at UIC is for determining the OOS/IS status for tuition? Is it the "must-have-lived-here-for-12-months-before-matriculation" rule?

Because even though I am an Indiana resident now, I will be working in Chicago starting this August all the way through next August. Also, I am still a dependent of my parents, but it just happens to be that my parents are planning on moving to Chicago later this summer as well (unrelated to my wanting to go to medical school there).

UIC offers a scholarship that covers the difference between OOS and IS tuition. From what I have noticed in the past two app cycles, these are usually given to students that have marked 'disadvantaged' on their AMCAS app, or to students that are URM.

Seeing that you are hispanic in your MDApps, I would apply if I were you. The secondary is not bad at all, and you might get the scholarship if you earn acceptance. Good luck!

If that's the case, I'll consider applying here! Thank you very much for that info.

If that's the case, I'll consider applying here! Thank you very much for that info.

Just a thought.... I was accepted into UIC this year but had to withdraw bc the OOS tuition was insane. I'm a disadvantaged student and am Hispanic, and I was not offered a scholarship to cover the difference between the IS and OOS tuition (I heard only 25 URMs and/or disadvantaged students are offered this scholarship).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I had a question about the behavioral/social science pre-requisite that is required. Does anyone know if the 3 courses need to be completed before submitting the primary application or anytime before matriculation? I know different schools have different policies on when they want their pre-reqs completed so i just want to make sure.

Thanks so much in advance and good luck to everyone who is applying!

How relatively difficult would it be to become an Illinois resident after 1-2 years of medical school and obtain IS tuition? I don't think I could afford 4 years at the OOS rate, but was very interested in this school due to strong ties to IL.

Hi, I had a question about the behavioral/social science pre-requisite that is required. Does anyone know if the 3 courses need to be completed before submitting the primary application or anytime before matriculation? I know different schools have different policies on when they want their pre-reqs completed so i just want to make sure.

Thanks so much in advance and good luck to everyone who is applying!

No, you don't have to have taken it before submitting. I did my last pre-req second semester senior year.

Also, one of my fellow M2s on the behavioral science pre-req: "There was a behavioral science pre-req? Whoops. Guess it didn't matter that much."

1) Behavioral science just need to be complete before matriculation (I did my last one at a local community college over the summer)

2) It's nearly impossible to get IL tuition - you need a IL driver's license dated at least a year before you APPLY, tax returns, car insurance/registration, voting registration, and to have declared it on your AMCAS.
For poster above - if your parents move, you're still a dependent, and your current state school disowns you, you'll have a better shot at getting IS.

3) UIC accepts a slightly wider range of GPA's/MCATs (mostly because they have a huge class, and it's all about averages). It's usually from students with special circumstances - non-traditional, advanced degree, etc. E.g. a student who had a mediocre undergrad GPA 10 years ago, a pretty good MCAT score, and a successful business career in the middle might have a better chance than at some other schools. They tend to count your most recent work heavily. Ultimately, they need people who are going to succeed in medical school and on the licensing exams, so they can't be too flexible. Also it's not enough to say "I had a terrible semester in undergrad due to X disaster", you have to say what you learned from it.

ok-i haven't taken a single psych class and would rather not just b/c of u of illinois. So if someone gets in (and decides to go!) , one could just postpone taking classes until May?

Is this the only school that "requires" psychology as pre-req?

Hi, all! Been lurking for a while, but I finally have some information to add to the discussion!

I interviewed in early October and never heard much of anything except the occasional "we reserve the right not to decide until June" e-mail. Very disappointing, to say the least. 4 days ago, I got a letter saying I was in the first quartile of the alternate list (I guess everyone gets told they're in the first quartile? I don't know). Two days later, I received a call from Linda Singleton offering me a spot.

So I guess they say that they don't have a numbered list on the quartile. They pick by "best match" or something to that effect. My last name is Ackerman, so given the short turnaround between alternate list and acceptance, it sure looks like they chose me alphabetically? I hope that's just a coincidence, but won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

The other relevant detail is that (as one might expect) the Chicago campus is filled, so I chose an offer for the Peoria campus in the UPR track. I will be filing a petition for transfer, but I do not expect it to succeed.

That's my two cents for those seeking timing, alternate list and campus availability information. If this post is somehow in the wrong place, my apologies. I'm new :D

Ha! I guess I did post in the wrong forum! I was thinking 2012/2013 matriculation. Sad trombone. I suppose I'll take my info on over to the right thread.

Any of you guys applying to Illinois have below-average stats? I want to know if I'm alone here.
cGPA: 3.58 sGPA: 3.48 MCAT: 29

Just a thought.... I was accepted into UIC this year but had to withdraw bc the OOS tuition was insane. I'm a disadvantaged student and am Hispanic, and I was not offered a scholarship to cover the difference between the IS and OOS tuition (I heard only 25 URMs and/or disadvantaged students are offered this scholarship).

I'm sorry to hear that...

Now I really don't know whether to apply here or not. Hm.

I just applied for early decision at U of I yesterday. Does anyone know how long I might expect to wait to receive a supplemental application? How early do interviews start?

I see that UIC accepts a wide-range of MCAT scores and GPA. Is this largely due to URMs or are their numbers less for non-URMs also? I am just curious because I am not URM but I have a lower than average MCAT and GPA. (I am also OOS but with significant ties to Illinois)

I can say from my experience this last cycle that they accept people based on a more holistic approach. When I interviewed they were saying how they take as much of a variety of people as they can get their hands on. I know this because they told me that, then immediately asked me about the music that I play (that I advertised on my application). My scores were still pretty good 3.8 GPA, 31 MCAT, but I still do think they do take a lot of other things into account. Also, from what I gathered in talking to the other interviewees they seemed to be a very diverse, experienced group

Hi! I have a question concerning secondary prompt to last year's applicants!
I just checked previous year's prompt and was wondering if character limit was including space or not. Or is the admission committee ever strict about this ...??

Thanks in advance!

What do you mean by "experienced?"

Well most of the applicants I was talking to had graduated from undergrad, and were either in grad school, or had a graduate degree and were working in their field. I have a feeling that's why I got stuck on the waitlist haha (I was just a college senior)

Well most of the applicants I was talking to had graduated from undergrad, and were either in grad school, or had a graduate degree and were working in their field. I have a feeling that's why I got stuck on the waitlist haha (I was just a college senior)

Hmm, I wonder if that's something U of I looks for. That wouldn't be good for me, as I have no intention of going to grad school before medical school.

Hmm, I wonder if that's something U of I looks for. That wouldn't be good for me, as I have no intention of going to grad school before medical school.

I don't think that's something they "look for" per se. I still think a plurality of the class came to UIC directly out of undergrad or maybe after 1 year.

But it is a very diverse student body in terms of life experience.

(I like this pizza icon. Go Irish.)

Yea me either. But I was also a very late applicant. I submitted my secondary in late October, and didn't interview until March 30th. That also has a great deal to do with it because while I was a fairly strong applicant based on numbers, toward the end that doesn't matter as much because the adcom becomes more and more selective holistically (strong numbers AND well rounded extracurriculars) to pick people to interview. So if me (or anybody for that matter) is interviewing later in the cycle, everybody at the interview is going to have good scores, and most people are likely going to interview well, and so the adcom is forced to pick the people with the most credentials (everybody with me was at least 2 years older than me and had graduate degrees). That's why I always advise all my friends to be sure to apply no later than June and not even bother applying if they don't submit to amcas by at least late July so that you can get an interview early on. Feel free to message me if this doesn't make sense lol

I'm confused, according to the top where it lists 4 campuses here:http://www.medicine.uic.edu/

When applying, are you applying to all 4 different campuses or just UIC SOM? Or does each campus specialize in something during your program? thanks!

I'm confused, according to the top where it lists 4 campuses here:http://www.medicine.uic.edu/

When applying, are you applying to all 4 different campuses or just UIC SOM? Or does each campus specialize in something during your program? thanks!

UIC has four campuses:
Chicago (M1-M4) 175 people
Urbana/Champaign (M1-M4, M1 for Rockford/Peoria) 25
Peoria (M2-M4) 50
Rockford (M2-M4) 50

You apply to UIC. If you are accepted, you rank each of the four campuses and are then placed at one of the four. It's possible to petition for a site transfer; these seem to be successful pretty often.

There are pluses and minuses to each campus.

Does anyone know if they offer merit-based scholarships straight from the school? Do you have to apply for them separately?

Does anyone know if they offer merit-based scholarships straight from the school? Do you have to apply for them separately?

I don't think very many of those are given out. I'm not positive, but I've never heard of anyone getting one either on SDN or any of my friends. You'd have to have ridiculous scores I'd think

See above about the OOS minority need based scholarship they offer, but other than that I have not heard of any person getting any type of scholarship for their regular MD program. The R-med program is a good deal if that's what you're in to.

Does anyone know when U of I sends out secondary applications?

There are a limited number of merit based scholarships for MD-only accepted applicants. There is no application; the school will contact you if you have been awarded these (based on your admission application, etc.). These merit scholarship range from a small amount (I think $5K/year) to full (but only a few people get this).

Due to a generous gift from a UIC-COM alumnus, there is also NEW merit scholarship program, the "Sweeney Scholarship," which gives your M1/M2 tuition free--and you can re-up for it if you do well on Step I for tuition-free M3/M4. I'm not sure exactly how many are selected for this, as this is a new program.

So I got the secondary this morning too and it says not to exceed the word limit, 250 words, but when I copy/paste my essay from word, it doesn't give me an error message or chops off the end after 250 words, and I definitely have way more than 250 words. Does anyone know if we can go over 250 words?

I hate secondaries where they ask the exact same info as the primary. Do they even read the primary?

What is the secondary essays? Is it the same as previous years? Like the following prompts:

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (Do not exceed 250 words)
.2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (Do not exceed 250 words).

I hate secondaries where they ask the exact same info as the primary. Do they even read the primary?

Yes, the same :)
What is the secondary essays? Is it the same as previous years? Like the following prompts:

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (Do not exceed 250 words)
.2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (Do not exceed 250 words).

I must have totally skipped over the 3 required behavioral/social sciences courses when researching this school. Is that for real? Seems kind of excessive...

Just submitted my secondary. I really liked the two essay questions because I think that they allowed me to highlight two important things about my application.

Good luck to everyone else filling out their secondaries!

Should we put down stuff like "Dean's List" and other awards in the EC section? No, right?

There are a limited number of merit based scholarships for MD-only accepted applicants. There is no application; the school will contact you if you have been awarded these (based on your admission application, etc.). These merit scholarship range from a small amount (I think $5K/year) to full (but only a few people get this).

Due to a generous gift from a UIC-COM alumnus, there is also NEW merit scholarship program, the "Sweeney Scholarship," which gives your M1/M2 tuition free--and you can re-up for it if you do well on Step I for tuition-free M3/M4. I'm not sure exactly how many are selected for this, as this is a new program.

There were 10 Sweeney scholarships last year (it's first year). Perhaps they've increased the award for this year, but last year it was: OOSers get to pay IS tuition all 4 years plus a $10k/yr scholarship for M3 & M4 if you score 1 standard deviation above the mean on step 1. ISers get a $25k/yr scholarship, guaranteed for M1 & M2, and renewable for M3 & M4 if you score 1 standard deviation above the mean on step 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.