2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you know if they will accept courses such as intro to neuroscience, ethics or social science courses falling into economics topics for these requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Permanent Resident of the United States with a Green Card. Anyone happen to know where to send a copy of this to? I tried calling admissions, but they haven't yet picked up / called back.

I'm a Permanent Resident of the United States with a Green Card. Anyone happen to know where to send a copy of this to? I tried calling admissions, but they haven't yet picked up / called back.

"Mailing Address:
Office of Medical College Admissions (MC 783)
UIC College of Medicine, 808 South Wood Street, Room 165 CME
Chicago, Illinois 60612-7302"

I might not be right, but I sent it to this address. This information can be found in the instructions section of UIC secondary application :)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Mailing Address:
Office of Medical College Admissions (MC 783)
UIC College of Medicine, 808 South Wood Street, Room 165 CME
Chicago, Illinois 60612-7302"

I might not be right, but I sent it to this address. This information can be found in the instructions section of UIC secondary application :)

Thank you! I guess i'm overlooking things because of the flurry of secondaries coming in haha.

Do any of you know if they will accept courses such as intro to neuroscience, ethics or social science courses falling into economics topics for these requirements?

I don't think they'll take neuroscience. But for me they took intro psych, and both econs. If you get your secondary there's a part of it where you fill out a chart that has those classes and it actually gives you options of classes you have taken that fulfill the requirements so you can see if you have all you need there.

Hi everyone! I seem to have only gotten an email with a "check status" log in but no secondary :( For those of you that received secondaries: when were you verified? are your apps complete (ie. including MCAT scores, LOR's etc)?

Hi everyone! I seem to have only gotten an email with a "check status" log in but no secondary :( For those of you that received secondaries: when were you verified? are your apps complete (ie. including MCAT scores, LOR's etc)?

I second this. The check status page says I was sent a secondary, but I never received an e-mail. I only got the check status e-mail.

I don't think they'll take neuroscience. But for me they took intro psych, and both econs. If you get your secondary there's a part of it where you fill out a chart that has those classes and it actually gives you options of classes you have taken that fulfill the requirements so you can see if you have all you need there.

Perfect. Yep I submitted the other day and noticed that my economics courses came up under that drop down box / chart you speak of. That is what got me wondering. Awesome.

Does anyone have a clue what the screen is in order to receive a secondary?

My status was changed to "application is in process."

I'm still waiting for my second set of MCAT scores to come in, so I'm not sure if this means that I am being reviewed for a possible interview or on hold until my new scores come in.

Does anyone know if this school holds back sending a secondary until they get your MCAT score?

If so, I take the MCAT on the 27th this month -- is that going to hurt me?

Edit: I wanna mention that they did send me the Applicant Status Check website to login and check the progress of my app. When I first received it I thought it was secondaries but there are no essays to be found on the page.

Still waiting on a secondary too and my app has been in and verified since June and that is with my MCAT scores.

hey guys looked through the thread but didn't seem to be answered.

I am getting different sides of the OOS friendliness of this school. I"m a mass res, (3.7, 33). What's UIC's OOS friendliness like? (I know I know, check msar but I've gotten much more insightful opinions from these threads than the raw numbers can give)

Also, my dad went to medical school here back in the day. Most secondaries ask if a family member has attended their school, does this help in any significant way?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys looked through the thread but didn't seem to be answered.

I am getting different sides of the OOS friendliness of this school. I"m a mass res, (3.7, 33). What's UIC's OOS friendliness like? (I know I know, check msar but I've gotten much more insightful opinions from these threads than the raw numbers can give)

Also, my dad went to medical school here back in the day. Most secondaries ask if a family member has attended their school, does this help in any significant way?

i think it depends what you mean by OOS friendly. i wouldn't say UIC is super selective as far as med schools go, and they seem to accept a lot of OOSers. i think your stats are competitive at this school.

but keep in mind that UIC charges OOSers $75k/yr+ for tuition. if when all is said and done this cycle UIC was your only acceptance, would you be willing to fork out that much money? many people in that situation might prefer to be a re-applicant. as i recall several people on last year's thread went through this agonizing decision.

As a reapplicant, I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to talk about the stress of being rejected the first time around for secondary question #1 and how I positively responded to it (Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (Do not exceed 250 words)). Any thoughts?

As a reapplicant, I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to talk about the stress of being rejected the first time around for secondary question #1 and how I positively responded to it (Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (Do not exceed 250 words)). Any thoughts?

I have been told by an adcom member at a different school that it is okay to talk about being a re-applicant and how it affected you and you overcame, etc. I would say don't make it the *only* point of your essay though. For example, you could discuss how you were really stressed at that time due to (1) being rejected (2) ... (3) ... etc. I think to include it is fine, but to make it the only thing might not be best, because there are a lot of re-applicants and you want to stand out. Just my opinion though.

Okay that is a very good point. I wasn't going to mention just the rejection but more so that as one aspect of the stressful situation. Since you heard that from an ADCOM member I'll definitely be taking that into consideration. Thanks.

Okay that is a very good point. I wasn't going to mention just the rejection but more so that as one aspect of the stressful situation. Since you heard that from an ADCOM member I'll definitely be taking that into consideration. Thanks.

No problem.
Here's an article by that adcom about re-applicants, if you're interested... (we did talk face to face about it, but here's his internet musings)
http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/reapplicantadvice/pages/index.aspx

Hey guys, what about the advanced biology requirement (the "at least 200 level course") ? No one in this thread has mentioned it. Does everyone here all take graduate biology courses ?? I didn't know there would be such a requirement when I did my undergrad :(.

It's not graduate-level biology. It's just a biology course above the level of general biology. Genetics, molecular biology, cellular biology, physiology, etc would all be fine.

I listed biochemistry as my upper-level bio even though on my transcript it was listed as a CHEM class. My school actually cross-lists biochem as both a BIO and CHEM class depending on who's taking it and for what major. I made a small note of this on my secondary, you guys think UI will count it as my upper level
bio?

It's not graduate-level biology. It's just a biology course above the level of general biology. Genetics, molecular biology, cellular biology, physiology, etc would all be fine.

I was doubting they asked for an upper-division biology course too. But their website says: "One course of advanced-level biology (must be at least a 200 level course)." Isn't a 200 level course usually graduate-level course ??

Have you received a confirmation about if they got your copy of the green card? I was trying to look for that on the status check page but no luck.

In the U of I system, 200 levels are undergraduate courses. When they say they are looking for an advanced class, they mean a class above the general bio, like a genetics class or cell biology class, etc

In the U of I system, 200 levels are undergraduate courses. When they say they are looking for an advanced class, they mean a class above the general bio, like a genetics class or cell biology class, etc

I see. This is a TREMENDOUS relief for me. Thank you very much for the info.

Yea, I don't think the ADCOM necessarily looks down upon any specific topic. The point of this particular essay is to make sure you can effectively communicate through writing and also to make sure that you can effectively handle stress (the incredible future stress of med school and being a doctor). Just be honest and you'll write the best essay that you can

Anyone else's formatting get totally bugged out upon submitting? I copied and pasted from a non-word text editor and it still made my apostrophes into strange symbols and completely ignored any paragraph breaks...

Why is every school having such trouble with the concept of accepting copied and pasted information? Seriously frustrating.

Submitted 7/25, status still says waiting letter review by them. Anyone else have any real status changes?

Does anyone know how bad it would be to go over the 250 max word count? Both of my essays still add up to 500 words....if that matters.

Today they must have reviewed/processed my LOR. My status now says 'Application is in process'

Anyone else's formatting get totally bugged out upon submitting? I copied and pasted from a non-word text editor and it still made my apostrophes into strange symbols and completely ignored any paragraph breaks...

Why is every school having such trouble with the concept of accepting copied and pasted information? Seriously frustrating.

any insight on this?

Anyone know how early U of I starts sending out interview invites?

Why are we required to give contact information for our employer if we're employed full time? I've never seen this asked on any of my other secondaries, do they contact our employers? If there's a current student that could answer this for me, that'd be great...

Hey guys, I looked through the thread and it didn't seem to be answered. I added most of activities/work/research in my AMCAS application, so would it be ok to use them again in the secondary?

For the stress essay, how is everyone answering ALL of the questions in 250 words? Are you focusing more on describing the situation? how you dealt with it? Lessons learned? if it happened again? I am talking about changing majors and schools but I only have space to describe the situation and how I dealt with it. Are people trying to answer all five or so questions or just trying to write a good essay?

Also, is there any place to mention if a parent attended U of I medical school or if this would help in being considered for an interview?

For the stress essay, how is everyone answering ALL of the questions in 250 words? Are you focusing more on describing the situation? how you dealt with it? Lessons learned? if it happened again? I am talking about changing majors and schools but I only have space to describe the situation and how I dealt with it. Are people trying to answer all five or so questions or just trying to write a good essay?

I think the point of the 250 limit is to not completely swamp the ADCOM with all the essays they have to read. If you are concise and descriptive, you shouldn't have too difficult of a time fitting each of your answers in 250 words. If the situation does not permit that, try narrowing down the topic so it can fit

Submitted 7/25, status still says waiting letter review by them. Anyone else have any real status changes?

mine is still stuck as well. it says

"Recommendation(s): 6 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 6, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review"

Should I call them to check in?

I'm stuck at the same status. How long has this taken for most people?

Does anyone know how we would fill out the courses if you attended a quarter system university? They only give 2 spots for Gen chem, etc.

I've been stuck at that status for like 2 weeks, which is insanely long since AMCAS sent my letters over a month ago

Also, does anyone know if any upper division biology course would work for the "advanced level biology?" On the website, it requires a 200 level course. However, at my school, 200+ is only for graduate students.

Also, does anyone know if any upper division biology course would work for the "advanced level biology?" On the website, it requires a 200 level course. However, at my school, 200+ is only for graduate students.

Yes.

Does anyone know how we would fill out the courses if you attended a quarter system university? They only give 2 spots for Gen chem, etc.

I am on the quarters system as well and just put down the first two classes of each sequence

Is it true that the 21% tuition hike was rescinded? Great news, if true.

Can someone help me out? I've been invited to an interview, but when I click "check supplemental application status", nothing happens.

mine is still stuck as well. it says

"Recommendation(s): 6 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 6, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review"

Should I call them to check in?

I'm stuck at the same status. How long has this taken for most people?

I just checked my status, it appears my letters made it in! My application is now "in process" Although weirdly two of my letters have a submit date of 8/9, even though I submitted them far in advance via AMCAS.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.