2008-2009 NYU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ButImLETired

Prodigal member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essays:

Why have you chosen to apply to NYU School of Medicine? (1500 chars max)

Where do you see your future medical career?* Note: here there is a scrolldown menu. The options are: Academic medical, Research, Health Care administration, Private Practice, Public Health, Business/Law and OtherWhy? (1500 chars max)

If you have taken any time off or have graduated, describe what you have done during this time? (1500 chars max)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LOR Requirement:

Applicants are required to submit a premedical committee appraisal letter or two letters from individual professors (at least one science). Additional letters are welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mean to steal Shemarty's thunder but I figured I'd just make a thread for this since I just got it.

Essays:

Why have you chosen to apply to NYU School of Medicine? (1500 chars max)

Where do you see your future medical career?* Note: here there is a scrolldown menu. The options are: Academic medical, Research, Health Care administration, Private Practice, Public Health, Business/Law and OtherWhy? (1500 chars max)

If you have taken any time off or have graduated, describe what you have done during this time? (1500 chars max)

They seem to have added more questions this year. Last year they only asked the last one, what you're doing if you have taken time off from school.

how did you get the questions, I dont see a link on their site...?

i always feel pseudo ashamed for entering a secondary i haven't been invited to yet.....always crashing the application party.

It seems like the people who got email invites can't access the application, but those of us who haven't been invited yet can get in without a hitch. :laugh:

:/ I haven't gotten an email invite, nor can I get in... maybe I'm just cursed .__.

:/ I haven't gotten an email invite, nor can I get in... maybe I'm just cursed .__.

Actually I'm in the same boat.....

how many folks here have actually received an email invite from NYU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Soo... Does it hurt you to access these and submit early?

got email invite yesterday morning and have access to it

Has anyone who did not receive the email successfully log in and submit?

I was unable to log-in before.

I received the email this morning and I can now log-in.

I received the email this morning and successfully logged in.

Do not copy and paste any word documents onto the application.

They mean it...it destroyed my formating and made me look totally illiterate. Basically, it chunked everything and added all sorts of weird characters....i called the office and they said it should be ok...:(..so sad

They mean it...it destroyed my formating and made me look totally illiterate. Basically, it chunked everything and added all sorts of weird characters....i called the office and they said it should be ok...:(..so sad

Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat! hahah. I couldn't help it after seeing that avatar.

Anyone get a confirmation email after submission? I submitted and paid but never got an email.

nope.

But it says in the FAQ that you will not receive a payment/submission conformation email, and that the last page (where it shows your app and credit card info) is your conformation.

For one of the questions, what do they mean by academic medical? Like you teach in a clinical hospital while you're a doctor?

For one of the questions, what do they mean by academic medical? Like you teach in a clinical hospital while you're a doctor?

You'd be a professor in a teaching hospital (one associated w/ a medical school usually).

That involves clinical medicine, teaching residents/medical students, and research.

good luck on the app guys. I got in this year but ill be entering with all of you who get in next yr as I deferred.

I copy-pasted from Notepad, and everything still got messed up. On the receipt page, 2 of the 3 essays were cut off in the middle of the first sentence. The last essay is fine, but there are no line breaks between paragraphs.

I copy-pasted from Notepad, and everything still got messed up. On the receipt page, 2 of the 3 essays were cut off in the middle of the first sentence. The last essay is fine, but there are no line breaks between paragraphs.

I called admissions and they said it would all be ok. ;) We'll be ok, I think :D

I called admissions and they said it would all be ok. ;) We'll be ok, I think :D

I called the tech helpdesk number that's at the end of the application summary, and the person I spoke to said that it's a new web application, and they've had problems with it. He opened up a help ticket, so hopefully they get back to me about that.

Anybody complete? I think I am now.

I received this email today:

Dear Applicant:

This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken.

Thank you,
Admissions Office
NYU School of Medicine

Scean: Received 7/17; Submitted 7/17; Complete 7/18

Anybody complete? I think I am now.

I received this email today:

Dear Applicant:

This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken.

Thank you,
Admissions Office
NYU School of Medicine

Me too, wow! They on their game almost as much as MCW...

sorry to double check, what exactly is an academic medical? i understand the research and patient care part, but is it necessary that you have to teach residents at these insitutions?

I called the tech helpdesk number that's at the end of the application summary, and the person I spoke to said that it's a new web application, and they've had problems with it. He opened up a help ticket, so hopefully they get back to me about that.

So how exactly do we submit this thing without any formatting issues? Re-type the essays directly into the forms?

So how exactly do we submit this thing without any formatting issues? Re-type the essays directly into the forms?

That would be my advice.

Other than that, I got the email from them saying that my file is complete. So far I've been really impressed by how professional, courteous, and responsive NYU has been. Much better than some other schools...

Last edited:
I'm Canadian so I'm a bit unfamiliar with U.S. terminology. When they say public health, is that like public health policy or does it mean working in underserved areas where they don't have insurance? I would either like to work in family practice or internal medicine...is that considered public health, or private practice?? :oops:

I'm Canadian so I'm a bit unfamiliar with U.S. terminology. When they say public health, is that like public health policy or does it mean working in underserved areas where they don't have insurance? I would either like to work in family practice or internal medicine...is that considered public health, or private practice?? :oops:

Public health tends to mean "public health policy." I'd say you should probably select "private practice."

copingmethods: Received: 7/17; Submitted: 7/18; Complete: ??

is academic medicine like working in a teaching hospital? i want to work in a big private or public hospital where you can see loads of stuff. lol

Academic/teaching hospitals are some of the best in the country, "loads of stuff" tends to happen at these institutions.

Awesome...last year they had no required essays and this year they have two. I was looking forward to the secondary too. Such bs...

Hey guys,

NYU is non-rolling right? It's really one of my top choices but I wasn't going to work on it until later....just wanted to make sure i had the right information.

did anyone figure out how to do the essay part besides manually typing it in?

Hey guys,

NYU is non-rolling right? It's really one of my top choices but I wasn't going to work on it until later....just wanted to make sure i had the right information.

Correct.

manually type it in is the ONLY solution so far. worked for me. :laugh:

I copied into notepad (not wordpad) and then pasted into the text box. this should technically be equivalent to typing it in, i believe, because there's absolutely no formatting in notepad. however, on my final screen the apostrophes were converted into question marks... they'll get what i mean though. i didn't know they would be converted because when i pasted into the textbox everything looked perfect. (so my guess is that apostrophes will be converted no matter how you input the text).

I had the same result as yallo with TextEdit

I had the same result as yallo with TextEdit

I actually went ahead and typed the essays into the boxes, but I couldn't separate paragraphs. I don't have question marks for apostrophes or anything like that, but it just looks like a run-on paragraph ie written by a kindergartner

their secondary app is frustrating.

I have tried typing it in manually two times now with the page only to expire when I was complete. If the page code does not do well with copy and pasting, at least implement a "save" function..

it's not that big of a deal to have ' replaced by ?... i just copy and pasted and sent it off. if a lot of people have this problem, it'll make it all the better.

For the second essay - can somebody please explain what option I should choose from the drop-down menu if I want to work at a large urban hospital. None of the choices really fit that.

I actually went ahead and typed the essays into the boxes, but I couldn't separate paragraphs. I don't have question marks for apostrophes or anything like that, but it just looks like a run-on paragraph ie written by a kindergartner

lol at the NYU adcomm trying to read all these. Someone in their tech department needs to get fired.

For the second essay - can somebody please explain what option I should choose from the drop-down menu if I want to work at a large urban hospital. None of the choices really fit that.

Large urban hospitals are often academic medical centers. If academic medicine (includes research, teaching) doesn't interest you, then maybe private practice or group practice (I forget what the categories are) would be the best - maybe someone w/ more knowledge on the topic could throw in their $0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.