2008-2009 University of Central Florida (UCF) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
REL said a while back that they had accepted someone(s?) with as low as a 28. As for the upper end of the range, they've accepted at least as high as a 41.

Guju, a good way to find out info about people who've been accepted may be to check out MDapps

Yah I know. I didn't want to give definite answers which is why I chose to speak the ranges of those interviewed. I know someone else with a 28 who recently got an interview. Well its someone my friend knows. What you have said just confirmed what I already thought.

But as per mdapps that's such a small sampling size for one. For 2, I figure people would have enough sense to check that one themselves so didn't feel the need to mention it. Please don't take offense to that people. Just saying, its a bit obvious that mdapps is out there too, and I didn't think it necessary.

But thanks for the heads up. I was just trying to answer the question, much like you are. Actually its moot point to me now cuz I got rejected a week or 2 ago. Just posting in here for moral support to those still interviewing or waiting to find out decisions and to see what's up with those.

Members don't see this ad.

Yah I know. I didn't want to give definite answers which is why I chose to speak the ranges of those interviewed. I know someone else with a 28 who recently got an interview. Well its someone my friend knows. What you have said just confirmed what I already thought.

But as per mdapps that's such a small sampling size for one. For 2, I figure people would have enough sense to check that one themselves so didn't feel the need to mention it. Please don't take offense to that people. Just saying, its a bit obvious that mdapps is out there too, and I didn't think it necessary.

But thanks for the heads up. I was just trying to answer the question, much like you are. Actually its moot point to me now cuz I got rejected a week or 2 ago. Just posting in here for moral support to those still interviewing or waiting to find out decisions and to see what's up with those.

haha...sorry. i meant to address that last sentence to LCHERNOF

haha...sorry. i meant to address that last sentence to LCHERNOK

Ok that makes more sense. Its all good. I was almost expecting it.

And by the way, congratulations on your acceptance to UCF and other acceptances.

You still trying to decide where you are going to go???

Members don't see this ad :)
REL said a while back that they had accepted someone(s?) with as low as a 28. As for the upper end of the range, they've accepted at least as high as a 41.

Guju, a good way to find out info about people who've been accepted may be to check out MDapps

Currently of the 33 accepted:
MCAT: 28-45
GPA: 3.25-4.00
All have shown the med motivation, comm svc, tmwk/ldrshp, research in their apps.

All Interviewed:
MCAT: 24-(45)
GPA: 3.13-(4.00)

All have shown the med motivation, comm svc, tmwk/ldrshp, research in their apps.

All Interviewed:

Thank you. This will be helpful to those who are applying in the future or who may end up reapplying while in a SMP like me. :)

All Interviewed:

Does this mean someone got a 45?! I thought that never happened?!

Does this mean someone got a 45?! I thought that never happened?!

I had originally thought this as well but then some time back. I forget but it was quite a while ago on here, there was a mod who had confirmed that the AAMC representatives have now confirmed that 45 has been achieved in the past.

Of course that is not to say that it was a 45 with combined scores of different administrations but I believe its possible that a person got a 45 as I know REL would never lie about such a thing as a professional and administrator.

In most recent MCAT score data, if you zoom in you'll see that there was a visible bar on the bar graph for the 44 range. A few years ago 43 was the highest and that didn't even show up on the bar graph. This tells me it might be only 1 out of several several thousand people or 2 at best that got such a high score as a perfect score but that it is possible.

It is pretty interesting though and personally I'd love to meet the genius who pulled that off. hahaha ;) ;) :p

Wow, UCF is going to have an amazing first class. Wow.

Wow, UCF is going to have an amazing first class. Wow.

I absolutely agree!!! And I think they will continue this trend even in the years to come.

It does not surprise me at all to see how things are panning out at UCF. Congratulations to you who have gotten the honor of being in the inauguration class. :)

REL, if you're around to read this (or anyone else in the know) is the March 15th deadline for schools-to-fill-all-seats specific to UCF or is it for all schools? (I remember hearing something about this on the interview day).

I'm not talking about the May 15th deadline to choose only 1 acceptance (for applicants).

REL, if you're around to read this (or anyone else in the know) is the March 15th deadline for schools-to-fill-all-seats specific to UCF or is it for all schools? (I remember hearing something about this on the interview day).

I'm not talking about the May 15th deadline to choose only 1 acceptance (for applicants).

Hmm I am not REL but since you invited others to respond.

EDIT:

I found this from the AAMC website. I didn't copy everything but here's the parts which mention March Dates and admission

Each school:

Between August 1 and March 15 notify the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services of all admission actions within four weeks of those actions being taken.

Between March 16 and the first day of class, notify the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services of all admission actions within seven days of those actions being taken.

Each school notify all applicants - other than Combined College/M.D., Early Decision Program (EDP), and deferred matriculation applicants - of acceptance to medical school only after October 15 of each admission cycle. It may be appropriate to communicate notifications of decisions other than acceptance to medical school to applicants prior to October 15.

By March 30 of the matriculation year, each school have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services.

The bolded might be changed to the 15th this year. So I guess it is for all schools to at least have given out as many seats as are available. But a few may be over accepting past that date or have had spots open up past that date.

Members don't see this ad :)
when will the next round of accepted students be notified?:oops::xf:

That sucks, I have to interview on the 27th. I didn't realize they wouldn't have any spots left, maybe I shouldn't go now...if I won't be accepted anyway. I mean, it would be nice if they would tell you that when they invited you. If I hadn't already been down here on vacation, I would be really upset about having made a trip down here to interview for a spot that didn't exist.

That sucks, I have to interview on the 27th. I didn't realize they wouldn't have any spots left, maybe I shouldn't go now...if I won't be accepted anyway. I mean, it would be nice if they would tell you that when they invited you. If I hadn't already been down here on vacation, I would be really upset about having made a trip down here to interview for a spot that didn't exist.

Call REL and find out if it is worth it. Or ask him on here via PM. Cuz, granted its full scholarship, there may be people still dropping. You never know.

AAMC Traffic rules require all programs to report a full class by March 30. These rules are suggested reading for applicants and medical school programs at the AAMC site. Any who have interviewed here know that I talk a lot about those rules --- it lets you know whether programs are treating you right and what the deadlines are. That being said, you should interview as you always would because ALL programs in Florida offer each seat at least 1.5 times to fill their class. Unlike other programs I do not overfill the class. Some overfill by a long shot and it takes "forever" for their wait list to move because they must attrit all of those overages. Getting onto a wait list may be a very hollow victory at some programs this year. We will have a lot of movement so anyone who impresses the committee and gets a high overall score in our process (that I will explain in great detail) should be in a position to receive an offer. We actually had an opening today......things are on the move.

Figured that I'd bring this thread back alive. Just got accepted!! I still can't believe it. Anyone get any news or make any decisions.

Figured that I'd bring this thread back alive. Just got accepted!! I still can't believe it. Anyone get any news or make any decisions.

WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I wasn't sure there would be movement with full scholarship offers on the table. That's exciting news.

WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I wasn't sure there would be movement with full scholarship offers on the table. That's exciting news.

Thank You! Yeah I didn't really have my hopes very high. I was almost set on UM and started planning for next fall there, but then I got one of the best calls of my life lol. I just never could have imagined, UCF was like this dream that I never thought would come true lol.

Congratulations and welcome to the class!! It's a great group and--if the 2nd look weekend is any indication--we're going to have a lot of fun! See you in the fall!

Friends,

We've talked about it for so long, and now the moment is finally here. The college's White Coat Ceremony is scheduled for August 3 at 9:00. The ceremony is a medical school tradition in which we welcome first-year students as colleagues dedicated to patient care. Each new student will receive his or her white coat from the donors who are sponsoring the student's scholarship. You can watch the White Coat Ceremony live at www.med.ucf.edu.

Presenting the Class of 2013

In response to your requests for information about this select group of candidates, here is a statistical portrait of our incoming students:
§. .• Geographic diversity: out-of-state - 10
§. .• Gender diversity: female - 22
§. .• Ethnic diversity (self-identified): black – 4, hispanic – 6, asian – 4, american indian – 2
§. .• Age range: 21 to 35
§. .• MCAT – 32.2
§. .• GPA – 3.8
§. .• Universities attended in-state: UCF – 8, UF – 6, USF – 5, other – 7
§. .• Universities attended out-of-state: Bucknell, UC Berkeley, Dartmouth - 2, East Carolina, Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins, Louisiana State University, Michigan State, Rice, Rutgers, Tulane, Washington and Lee
§. .• Medical schools turned down: UF – 11, USF – 14, Miami – 5, Boston U., Dartmouth, Georgetown, Pitt, USC, Wake Forest, Illinois and Emory – to name a few (in 18 instances, students chose UCF over top 25 medical schools)
§. .• Predominant majors: chemistry, microbiology, biology, biomedical engineering, psychology
§. .• Other majors: economics, history, art history, electrical engineering and music
§. .• Advanced Degrees: Master's - 3, Ph.D. - 1
. .
Celebrate White Coat Day

Mayors Crotty and Dyer have proclaimed Monday, August 3 "White Coat Day" in Orange County and Orlando. In celebration, we are asking all friends of the medical school to participate in a "White Out" on the day of the ceremony.

It may never snow in Central Florida, but we can create our own "blizzard" to show support of our medical students. If you would like to show your affinity with our new group, please wear white – a shirt, a skirt, shoes, a tie, or even a belt.

You would think we could take a break now – sit back and wait to welcome our Charter class. But there is no time to rest—as of today we have 1,624 applicants for next year!

What an exciting time for our community. Thank you for your continued support of the College of Medicine.

Best wishes,

Deb
signature_9.gif

Deborah C. German, M.D.
Dean, UCF College of Medicine
. .

weird..i was expecting the mcat average to be 36+

Well they did have someone with a 45 and people with 39s but surprisingly no I heard earlier that they accepted people with 28s-32s at the lower range and even interviewed at least one person with a 24 at the lowest range. So guess they were going for the whole package. :D

Are there any current UCF med students still here?

Are there any current UCF med students still here?

Prob. not. Though there is a facebook group you should check out. I can look it up and link it here if you want it.

In case there are any current students monitoring this thread, I'll just go ahead and ask my question:

I currently live about 45 minutes east of the campus in Melbourne. I'm trying to determine if it's a good idea to commute to school from my current house, or to move closer (assuming I get in of course). Does formal instruction take place every day? Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.