2008-2009 University of Central Florida (UCF) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are interview invites still going out?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Any updates?? When will be the next round of acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, we will continue invitations to interview through early to mid March. We will cease to interview at the end of March per current plans.

I'm praying for an interview :).

I recall receiving a phone call at home from REL a few months ago concerning my continued interest in the school as an OOS applicant.. I am still wondering when/if I'll hear from UCF!

haha, thanks, yeah I should have checked.

We will make more admissions decisions during the evening of Jan 27 and I will make calls on the 28th. It was originally scheduled for this week but the meeting that we needed did not materialize. Sorry for the delay.....

I recall receiving a phone call at home from REL a few months ago concerning my continued interest in the school as an OOS applicant.. I am still wondering when/if I'll hear from UCF!

I would recommend that you call REL to see "what's the deal?", tho Friday will be a tough day to catch him unless it's around 4pm.

I would recommend that you call REL to see "what's the deal?", tho Friday will be a tough day to catch him unless it's around 4pm.

:laugh: at the fact that you are referring to yourself as him rather then use of the word "me" to refer to yourself.

And to jbarredo, I know how you feel. I think we all hope for such and for those who've interviewed and still waiting to get off a waitlist or even for a decision good luck!!!

so calls will be made out on the 28th, ill be praying lol

read an article today on a delta flight in their in-flight magazine about orlando. ucf is all over the article, and the med school is mentioned multiple times. Even had a picture of the new building. got me excited about the school all over again. maybe it was a good omen for this week . :rolleyes:

http://delta-sky.com/portrait/orlando/index.php

Members don't see this ad :)
read an article today on a delta flight in their in-flight magazine about orlando. ucf is all over the article, and the med school is mentioned multiple times. Even had a picture of the new building. got me excited about the school all over again. maybe it was a good omen for this week . :rolleyes:

http://delta-sky.com/portrait/orlando/index.php

Do you mean the partners in progress article?

I guess today is the day that some ppl will be getting some very good news, i hope the best for everyone

The university I attend just announced a freeze on capital projects not yet begun due to massive losses in investments stemming from the recession. This got me thinking about how UCFCOM, a new school with many construction projects ahead, will fare. How do you all think this economic downturn will affect UCF?

While I am certainly not speaking for the UCFCOM, many academic institutions are facing the prospect of reduced funding due to a reduction in the value of their investments, a reduction in the amount of government funding that they receive, and increased competition for a smaller pool of philanthropy. I truly believe that the economic impact that the UCFCOM will have on Central Florida places it at a competitive advantage in respect to other schools in regard to philanthropy and governmental support. The fact that the UCFCOM was able to secure enough funding to provide forty full scholarships in the economic environment that we have recently seen attests to its value to Central Florida and beyond. That being said, your question highlights the fact that it will be essential for the Class of 2013 to make an immediate impact on Central Florida by becoming an active part of the community. Through doing so, the UCFCOM will further ingratiate itself to potential donors and facilitate the future funding that will enable it to become a premier medical school. Members of the pioneer class truly have a unique opportunity to become a part of an endeavor that is much larger than they are!

Last edited:
While I am certainly not speaking for the UCFCOM, many academic institutions are facing the prospect of reduced funding due to a reduction in the value of their investments, a reduction in the amount of government funding that they receive, and increased competition for a smaller pool of philanthropy. I truly believe that the economic impact that the UCFCOM will have on Central Florida places it at a competitive advantage in respect to other schools in regard to philanthropy and governmental support. The fact that the UCFCOM was able to secure enough funding to provide forty full scholarships in the economic environment that we have recently seen attests to its value to Central Florida and beyond. That being said, your question highlights the fact that it will be essential for the Class of 2013 to make an immediate impact on Central Florida by becoming an active part of the community. Through doing so, the UCFCOM will further ingratiate itself to potential donors and facilitate the future funding that will enable it to become a premier medical school. Members of the pioneer class truly have a unique opportunity to become a part of an endeavor that is much larger than they are!

I think any school in their right of mind will not cut cost to their brand new COM, so I am sure this wont be the case for UCF.

The second part (c/o 2013) sounds alot like my UCF secondary essay. So far no interview so :confused:, lol

I think any school in their right of mind will not cut cost to their brand new COM, so I am sure this wont be the case for UCF.

The second part (c/o 2013) sounds alot like my UCF secondary essay. So far no interview so :confused:, lol

Yah I don't think UCF will be as badly affected as some of the other schools.

Here are my reasons why I believe this. There are a lot more people in Orlando who are contributing donations to the school in large sums, a lot more ground to work with in creating new jobs through the medical school that they won't cut the bulk of it from the new school, and so forth.

One of the things they've continually stated is that it is their hope that the new medical school will create more jobs in the region and I believe it will do that while doing its ultimate job of increasing both medical research and number of physicians trained to practice in Orlando and its surrounding areas.

What happens to the scholarship money if an HPSP student gets admitted? Would the military get a bill for zero dollars or would the student be credited with the scholarship? Or would the school hold the scholarship funds and bill the military full tuition?

What happens to the scholarship money if an HPSP student gets admitted? Would the military get a bill for zero dollars or would the student be credited with the scholarship? Or would the school hold the scholarship funds and bill the military full tuition?

Hmm that's an interesting question. I would assume they'd still get the scholarship money but who knows.

REL,

Any input on this. This seems to be an interesting question.

What I've gathered in talking with my recruiter (although he's being pretty dodgy about addressing this situation) is that you'll still get the $20k sign-on bonus and the monthly stipend, but the tuition money would essentially be unrecoverable. I figured that any overlapping tuition scholarship would be refunded to me, but apparently that's not the case.

If I ultimately decide to go to UCF, I'm not going to sign on because it just seems silly to have the same commitment yet not receive the same benefits as everyone else. I plan on just signing on after my residency. In my opinion it works out for the best because you'll have full autonomy in choosing a residency and you can still pursue a career in mil med if that's what you feel called to do.

Hmm that's an interesting question. I would assume they'd still get the scholarship money but who knows.

REL,

Any input on this. This seems to be an interesting question.

It seems like it would depend on how the scholarship is paid, which I don't know the answer to.

That being said, it would seem wrong to discriminate based on the student's ability to pay regarding a class-wide, non 'need-based' scholarship (instead distribute the same funds to every student in the class regardless of whether the student is independently wealthy, signed on to HPSP, receiving lottery payouts, whatever else). The only problem I would see here would be if the school is issuing the scholarship by setting the tuition to zero, in which case there is no way the military would give any additional benefit to the student (they would just go nuts at having landed a tuition-free recruit).

What I've gathered in talking with my recruiter (although he's being pretty dodgy about addressing this situation) is that you'll still get the $20k sign-on bonus and the monthly stipend, but the tuition money would essentially be unrecoverable. I figured that any overlapping tuition scholarship would be refunded to me, but apparently that's not the case.

If I ultimately decide to go to UCF, I'm not going to sign on because it just seems silly to have the same commitment yet not receive the same benefits as everyone else. I plan on just signing on after my residency. In my opinion it works out for the best because you'll have full autonomy in choosing a residency and you can still pursue a career in mil med if that's what you feel called to do.

See, this is what worried me. That is sad because if you're someone who really wants to serve in the military, then it is going to be very difficult and demoralizing to be in this class, knowing that everyone else there is enjoying a benefit that the military effectively stripped from you.

The way I look at HPSP is that you're paying tuition with your service contract. Regular students pay tuition with an interest contract. So the regular students lose the burden of their contract, and while I hesitate to call the HPSP service contract a burden because most HPSP students want to serve, they wouldn't see any additional benefit (whereas regular students not having debt will always be a benefit).

See, this is what worried me. That is sad because if you're someone who really wants to serve in the military, then it is going to be very difficult and demoralizing to be in this class, knowing that everyone else there is enjoying a benefit that the military effectively stripped from you.

The way I look at HPSP is that you're paying tuition with your service contract. Regular students pay tuition with an interest contract. So the regular students lose the burden of their contract, and while I hesitate to call the HPSP service contract a burden because most HPSP students want to serve, they wouldn't see any additional benefit (whereas regular students not having debt will always be a benefit).

I don't see how it would be demoralizing to be in this class if you want to serve in the military. How does the fact that your classmates are getting a full ride along with you affect your desire to pursue military medicine at all? I'm not sure I'm following you, what do you mean a benefit that the military has stripped from you?

If you both go to UCF and do the HPSP you will still see a benefit ($20,000 from the start and ~$2,000/month is nothing to sneeze at), but it's true that you won't receive the same amount of financial aid from the military as those who aren't blessed enough to already have a full scholarship. That being said, if you don't feel it's worth it to take on the service commitment knowing the military isn't investing as much in you then you don't have to do the HPSP. I agree that if I'm going to have the same service commitment the military should provide me with the same compensation, that's precisely why I won't join the military until later on in my training.

Either way, this is a great problem to have. Especially if you have the desire to serve and pursue military medicine regardless of the scholarship.

I don't see how it would be demoralizing to be in this class if you want to serve in the military. How does the fact that your classmates are getting a full ride along with you affect your desire to pursue military medicine at all? I'm not sure I'm following you, what do you mean a benefit that the military has stripped from you?

If you both go to UCF and do the HPSP you will still see a benefit ($20,000 from the start and ~$2,000/month is nothing to sneeze at), but it's true that you won't receive the same amount of financial aid from the military as those who aren't blessed enough to already have a full scholarship. That being said, if you don't feel it's worth it to take on the service commitment knowing the military isn't investing as much in you then you don't have to do the HPSP. I agree that if I'm going to have the same service commitment the military should provide me with the same compensation, that's precisely why I won't join the military until later on in my training.

Either way, this is a great problem to have. Especially if you have the desire to serve and pursue military medicine regardless of the scholarship.

I would see this turning into a giant fight between the health corps and the school. The school wanting to bill the health corps full tuition and the military refusing to front any tuition.

"I'm not sure I'm following you, what do you mean a benefit that the military has stripped from you?

If you both go to UCF and do the HPSP you will still see a benefit ($20,000 from the start and ~$2,000/month is nothing to sneeze at)..."

What I'm talking about is the additional benefit that non-HPSP students would get. You get the 20k and stipend no matter where you go. Instead, the military would try to take (I'm assuming) the scholarship funds away from you - that's what I'm talking about when I say stripping a benefit.

What this boils down to is this question: UCF has allocated funds for every student in the first class. If one of those students is an HPSP student, where do those funds go? There are only 3 answers here:

1. The student
2. UCF
3. The military (most likely scenario in my opinion)

In the case of the non-HPSP student, those funds will be going to #1 everytime. So would it be right for the funds to go to #2 or #3 in the case of an HPSP student?

I would see this turning into a giant fight between the health corps and the school. The school wanting to bill the health corps full tuition and the military refusing to front any tuition.

"I'm not sure I'm following you, what do you mean a benefit that the military has stripped from you?

If you both go to UCF and do the HPSP you will still see a benefit ($20,000 from the start and ~$2,000/month is nothing to sneeze at)..."

What I'm talking about is the additional benefit that non-HPSP students would get. You get the 20k and stipend no matter where you go. Instead, the military would try to take (I'm assuming) the scholarship funds away from you - that's what I'm talking about when I say stripping a benefit.

What this boils down to is this question: UCF has allocated funds for every student in the first class. If one of those students is an HPSP student, where do those funds go? There are only 3 answers here:

1. The student
2. UCF
3. The military (most likely scenario in my opinion)

In the case of the non-HPSP student, those funds will be going to #1 everytime. So would it be right for the funds to go to #2 or #3 in the case of an HPSP student?

I'd assume the student would get the money from UCF but like MDean86 said, might not get all the money from the army because of such outside of the stipend. But REL if you are out there please comment.

Let's go back to the basic rule of Financial Aid. There is a Cost of Attendance which is the total cost of education and other costs of survival like food, housing, gas, etc. This figure is derived from researching costs in the area of that school for all of these reasonable costs.

For UCF the most recent estimate for the COA is about $48,500 for the first year class. The Charter Class Scholarship is $40,000 per year. Using these figures a student in the charter class can receive an additional $8,500 in funding above and beyond the Charter Class Scholarship. It is possible that a student may have a scholarship to cover this amount or even take out the Federal Stafford Loan to fill this amount if needed. AT NO TIME can any monetary awards/loans exceed the COA.

Now to begin to answer the questions posed. If an applicant comes to the COM with a $10,000 scholarship, the Charter Class Scholarship must be reduced to $38,500. If an applicant comes with the HPSP that pays tuition and required fees and required insurance (let's guesstimate that amount to be $26,000) and also the monthly stipend for the 10 months in school at ($2,000 per month), then the Charter Class Scholarship must be reduced to $2,000). These guesstimates are all based on the COA which will be adjusted again prior to the charter class entering. The COA will be reestimated at the beginning of each year in July/August. There are other adjustments to the COA based on living arrangements (living with another student, living with parents, etc.) and duration of academic year (ie. Med I = 10 months, Med III = 12 months).

This is my understanding of the system --- I'm not the expert, but I understand it enuf that the above is pretty close to right. Now all that follows is MY understanding of the process and may not be entirely on target. I believe that the hierarchy is outside scholarship/HPSP first then filled in with Charter Class Scholarship up to the $48,500 amount noted. I suspect that any Charter Class Scholarship monies not spent would be used for future applicants.

Finally, for those of you who interviewed, our Dir Stu Fin Svcs provided a lengthy powerpoint on the drive that you were provided. It may be that this is addressed in the longer presentation. Though I didnt see it, it may also be addressed at the UCF COM SFS site: http://www.med.ucf.edu/academics/financial_aid/ This site is constantly being updated. If all else fails, call the number provided.

Last edited:
Let's go back to the basic rule of Financial Aid. There is a Cost of Attendance which is the total cost of education and other costs of survival like food, housing, gas, etc. This figure is derived from researching costs in the area of that school for all of these reasonable costs.

For UCF the most recent estimate for the COA is about $48,500 for the first year class. The Charter Class Scholarship is $40,000 per year. Using these figures a student in the charter class can receive an additional $8,500 in funding above and beyond the Charter Class Scholarship. It is possible that a student may have a scholarship to cover this amount or even take out the Federal Stafford Loan to fill this amount if needed. AT NO TIME can any monetary awards/loans exceed the COA.

Now to begin to answer the questions posed. If an applicant comes to the COM with a $10,000 scholarship, the Charter Class Scholarship must be reduced to $38,500. If an applicant comes with the HPSP that pays tuition and required fees and required insurance (let's guesstimate that amount to be $26,000) and also the monthly stipend for the 10 months in school at ($2,000 per month), then the Charter Class Scholarship must be reduced to $2,000). These guesstimates are all based on the COA which will be adjusted again prior to the charter class entering. The COA will be reestimated at the beginning of each year in July/August. There are other adjustments to the COA based on living arrangements (living with another student, living with parents, etc.) and duration of academic year (ie. Med I = 10 months, Med III = 12 months).

This is my understanding of the system --- I'm not the expert, but I understand it enuf that the above is pretty close to right. Now all that follows is MY understanding of the process and may not be entirely on target. I believe that the hierarchy is outside scholarship/HPSP first then filled in with Charter Class Scholarship up to the $48,500 amount noted. I suspect that any Charter Class Scholarship monies not spent would be used for future applicants.

Finally, for those of you who interviewed, our Dir Stu Fin Svcs provided a lengthy powerpoint on the drive that you were provided. It may be that this is addressed in the longer presentation. Though I didnt see it, it may also be addressed at the UCF COM SFS site: http://www.med.ucf.edu/academics/financial_aid/ This site is constantly being updated. If all else fails, call the number provided.

Thank you. This is interesting.

I'm really hoping to get an interview . I would love to be back at UCF!

Let's go back to the basic rule of Financial Aid...

Thanks for your reply. So it looks like UCF would retain the scholarship money in its general fund. I didn't expect they would claim the Army stipend as a scholarship though. I assumed it would be viewed as a secondary income source (like a student who runs a home-business or holds part-time employment). Especially considering that the Army stipend is taxed as income. Given that information, doesn't sound like there will be any HPSP students in the inaugural class.

Given that information, doesn't sound like there will be any HPSP students in the inaugural class.

Probably not, but that's not to say there won't be anyone in the charter class pursuing military medicine.

Thanks for your reply. So it looks like UCF would retain the scholarship money in its general fund. I didn't expect they would claim the Army stipend as a scholarship though. I assumed it would be viewed as a secondary income source (like a student who runs a home-business or holds part-time employment). Especially considering that the Army stipend is taxed as income. Given that information, doesn't sound like there will be any HPSP students in the inaugural class.

I will take as task for verification on the stipend.

Hey everyone, I went ahead and set up a Facebook group for the charter class so that potential members can start to get to know one another! I'm looking forward to meeting and learning more about the rest of you!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=48155748757

Hey guys,

I just withdrew my interview slot, so hopefully that opens up something for another oos. Mr. Larkin is a very pleasant man to speak with, and really cares about the school. I wish you all the best of luck!

Hey guys,

I just withdrew my interview slot, so hopefully that opens up something for another oos. Mr. Larkin is a very pleasant man to speak with, and really cares about the school. I wish you all the best of luck!

In the event that there is any trouble filling this slot, I will offer to interview in place of ganesha123. ;) Best of luck to everyone who is involved on this thread, regardless of your acceptance status.

Everyone cross your fingers and toes, there's only like 11 or 12 seats left!

So this is crazy...I am about to walk into work when I get a call from a number I don't recognize. I pick up and it's UCF. Well I got rejected post-secondary from there a week ago, so I thought maybe they were calling to do a feedback survey, since they're a new school and all. Well it turns out that I was mistakenly rejected, and I get to interview! And on top of that, it is on a date when I was already going to be there visiting my dad, so I am super-stoked! Hope they have some seats left.

So this is crazy...I am about to walk into work when I get a call from a number I don't recognize. I pick up and it's UCF. Well I got rejected post-secondary from there a week ago, so I thought maybe they were calling to do a feedback survey, since they're a new school and all. Well it turns out that I was mistakenly rejected, and I get to interview! And on top of that, it is on a date when I was already going to be there visiting my dad, so I am super-stoked! Hope they have some seats left.

:laugh: :laugh: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! Hopefully you get in.

Since UCF is new and there is NO info on what GPA's are being accepted or MCAT scores, im wondering for those of you who got accepted - if you want to post it - what were your GPA's (AO and BCPM or just Undergrad) and MCAT scores?

its safe to say that they are only looking at the top scorers here- they need to establish themselves this first year with a knockout class

(don't worry, I'm just bitter about rejection pre interview)

Since UCF is new and there is NO info on what GPA's are being accepted or MCAT scores, im wondering for those of you who got accepted - if you want to post it - what were your GPA's (AO and BCPM or just Undergrad) and MCAT scores?

I can't speak for those officially accepted but I've heard they've interviewed people with as low as 24s-28s and high as mid to late 30s. So there has been a range of people who have been interviewed at least. Not sure about those who were actually accepted.

I am guessing there will be an average at least near early 30s when all is said and done. But who knows it might be slightly higher.

I don't think people will be posting their private data, but good luck with that.

I can't speak for those officially accepted but I've heard they've interviewed people with as low as 24s-28s and high as mid to late 30s. So there has been a range of people who have been interviewed at least. Not sure about those who were actually accepted.

I am guessing there will be an average at least near early 30s when all is said and done. But who knows it might be slightly higher.

I don't think people will be posting their private data, but good luck with that.

REL said a while back that they had accepted someone(s?) with as low as a 28. As for the upper end of the range, they've accepted at least as high as a 41.

Guju, a good way to find out info about people who've been accepted may be to check out MDapps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.