2008-2009 University of Central Florida (UCF) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. They ask you about your activities listed on your AMCAS - only fill this out if you have OTHER information NOT INCLUDED on your primary.

2. If not in school, what will you be doing in your year off.

3. If you have any withdrawals or grades less than a B-, to explain them and how they were resolved.

4. Only one essay. It is the standard essay for all Florida schools.....how will you add to the diversity of the school, the field of medicine, etc. in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

when did you receive it? my amcas has been complete for a while and i haven't received anything from UCF, but have all the other fl schools.

If you look under the secondaries thread, apparently some people have been asked to test drive their online secondary. (not me though)

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the word/character count on the essay for secondary ucf apps?

when did you receive it? my amcas has been complete for a while and i haven't received anything from UCF, but have all the other fl schools.

I got mine today...I don't think I'm part of the "testing" population. I believe that was several weeks ago (?)

The essay length is 1-2 pages. No more than 2 pages. It can be uploaded or typed directly into the text box.

Here is the exact prompt:

"Please provide a 1-2 page essay to help us understand who you are. Include what you can contribute to your class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that have shaped your character. You may also consider including information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved. This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement."

Last edited:
Got mine today. I'm guessing there gonna start sending them out to everyone now. do they screen?

Got mine today. I'm guessing there gonna start sending them out to everyone now. do they screen?

If I remember correctly it was one of the 'self-screens' where they tell you to apply if you have above certain stats, beyond that I don't know. I got mine on the 8th. I submitted on the 13th and they had me complete on the 16th, they seem to have their act together.

If I remember correctly it was one of the 'self-screens' where they tell you to apply if you have above certain stats, beyond that I don't know. I got mine on the 8th. I submitted on the 13th and they had me complete on the 16th, they seem to have their act together.
with no students...I would hope so!!!

ignore this, doing admin stuff

How are you all dealing with the "optional" questions that ask for information not included on the AMCAS application? I feel like I did a pretty good job covering everything on AMCAS and I don't want to be redundant, but at the same time I don't feel comfortable leaving most of the fields blank. I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this section.

How are you all dealing with the "optional" questions that ask for information not included on the AMCAS application? I feel like I did a pretty good job covering everything on AMCAS and I don't want to be redundant, but at the same time I don't feel comfortable leaving most of the fields blank. I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this section.

I know what you mean. I added VERY brief comments in almost all of the boxes (some of them to clarify information on my AMCAS app re: teamwork, etc). I don't know that what I added either helped or detracted from my application. Generally, I think it's perfectly acceptable to leave them blank; I believe REL said as much in another thread.

Good luck :luck:.

I just received the invitation for the secondary today, I was really excited until I saw the amount of personal information they required. This is the most that I have seen from any secondary application to date. I really went "uggh!!" when I saw the essay question. I have said pretty much everything on the amcas, I am not sure how I am going to proceed with this one. Anyway I am sure I will work something out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received the invitation for the secondary today, I was really excited until I saw the amount of personal information they required. This is the most that I have seen from any secondary application to date. I really went "uggh!!" when I saw the essay question. I have said pretty much everything on the amcas, I am not sure how I am going to proceed with this one. Anyway I am sure I will work something out.

I left every single field blank. REL himself(works at UCF ADCOM) said that it was fine if you had a through explanation on your amcas.

EDIT: Obviously I did the essay portion, and you should do a good job on that. I'm referring to the activities part on the page before

just submitted today! anyone know when interview invitations start rolling out?

Being that the first class is free I think the extra information isn't out of line....

Hi everyone! This thread is so helpful. It's nice to know other people have similar feelings as me regarding some of the questions.

Does anyone have any advice on how to answer this question: "If you have experienced academic difficulties while in college, please briefly explain the circumstances and provide information about any grades below "B minus" or course withdrawals."

Unfortunately, I got 5 C's on my transcript, most of them for my physical sciences like physics and chemistry. For some reason, I studied hard and the concepts make sense in class but I just never did well on the tests. I'm just not sure how to word it so I don't seem like an stupid idiot who can't get a good grade.

Any advice?

im still waiting to recieve this secondary. i was amcas verified in late july and ive received a lot of other secondaries but not this one yet. ugh! im so impatient! :D

Haha, I'm excited I haven't been rejected either. However, I'm wondering if ANYONE has :) Anybody know anything about the time-line for notice. The email we received from REL could be interpreted in a couple of different ways with regard to letters of rejection.

Haha, I'm excited I haven't been rejected either.

:thumbup: I was thinking the same thing when I woke up Monday: Haven't been automatically rejected yet!

What email are you referring to? I was complete last week and have not received an email except the one inviting me to the secondary.

Hi everyone! This thread is so helpful. It's nice to know other people have similar feelings as me regarding some of the questions.

Does anyone have any advice on how to answer this question: "If you have experienced academic difficulties while in college, please briefly explain the circumstances and provide information about any grades below "B minus" or course withdrawals."

Unfortunately, I got 5 C's on my transcript, most of them for my physical sciences like physics and chemistry. For some reason, I studied hard and the concepts make sense in class but I just never did well on the tests. I'm just not sure how to word it so I don't seem like an stupid idiot who can't get a good grade.

Any advice?

Just say that. I just explained exactly what happened, no need to really make anything up or put it a certain way. I'm sure they are going to get the exact same answers from 1000's of applicants.

What email are you referring to? I was complete last week and have not received an email except the one inviting me to the secondary.

Maybe they're sending out e-mails re: interviews in batches.

Basically, the e-mail said: "we will be considering your file over the course of 10 business days and we will record you as "absolutely interview, interview if we have time, and rejection." If you hear from us in 10 days it likely means rejection." [be aware: I'm paraphrasing rather liberally.]

Don't worry, you're not missing anything yet as far as I know :)

blah, they still haven't gotten my character letters!

Any advice?

I personally wouldn't answer the question. I would just write them a nice essay explaining what else you had going on in your life and leave it at that. I know I am not going to take the time to explain every grade below a B-.

I personally wouldn't answer the question. I would just write them a nice essay explaining what else you had going on in your life and leave it at that. I know I am not going to take the time to explain every grade below a B-.

I don't know if you're serious, but I think that is terrible advice. If they ask you explicitly to explain something that's on your transcript, then do it. Trying to ignore it or act like it didn't happen isn't going to fool the adcoms. If anything, it will make them question your ability to follow very simple instructions. I would try to word the response in a way that makes it look like it was a learning experience, but simply refusing to answer the question isn't going to help you at all.

I don't know if you're serious, but I think that is terrible advice. If they ask you explicitly to explain something that's on your transcript, then do it. Trying to ignore it or act like it didn't happen isn't going to fool the adcoms. If anything, it will make them question your ability to follow very simple instructions. I would try to word the response in a way that makes it look like it was a learning experience, but simply refusing to answer the question isn't going to help you at all.

That's my boy.

Agreed. WTF, you cant just choose not to answer the question.

As a non-trad I had too many of such grades to address individually it would have been redundant and pointless. I stated the fact that I had numerous grades as such, talked about the circumstances that led to it, told them what i could have done different and pointed to more recent coursework as evidence of overcoming it.

Just submitted. I'm really really hoping that it was the longest secondary I'll have to do...

on a separate note, I'm a bit worried about my photo. I used a good photo, in the right format, but it sort of came out weird on their "dashboard" thing. It's a bit scrunched up, so my head looks real narrow. I sure hope they realize that I really don't look like that =/

Just submitted. I'm really really hoping that it was the longest secondary I'll have to do...

on a separate note, I'm a bit worried about my photo. I used a good photo, in the right format, but it sort of came out weird on their "dashboard" thing. It's a bit scrunched up, so my head looks real narrow. I sure hope they realize that I really don't look like that =/

Freeaaaaaakkkkkk!!!!!

Jk, they tell you on the secondary that they wont see your dashboard, it comes out perfectly normal on their end.

If that's the longest secondary you have to do, you didn't apply to many schools...many of the schools I applied to are much, much more involved and the essays required much more thought. UCF's is pretty straight-forward in application terms.

If that's the longest secondary you have to do, you didn't apply to many schools...

It was one of the longer secondaries I had to do, too.

I mean, sure, you could leave the whole middle section blank, but I definitely had some things to add.

Anyone with a packet of letters sent from a school how did you fill out the LOR section? My school sends a committee letter included in a LOR packet which includes all my individual letters. Do I still need to fill out the names of the people whom wrote the character letters for me? I don't want the folks at UCF waiting to recieve letters from someone when they already have them included in the packet. The reason I ask this is because it says the section with the names is required.

If this doesn't make sense its becuase i've had like 12 cups of coffee and and finishing my 4th monster for the day. I still have like 7 more secondaries to complete and im trying to get them done by next monday. Wish me luck.

Anyone with a packet of letters sent from a school how did you fill out the LOR section? My school sends a committee letter included in a LOR packet which includes all my individual letters. Do I still need to fill out the names of the people whom wrote the character letters for me? I don't want the folks at UCF waiting to recieve letters from someone when they already have them included in the packet. The reason I ask this is because it says the section with the names is required.

If this doesn't make sense its becuase i've had like 12 cups of coffee and and finishing my 4th monster for the day. I still have like 7 more secondaries to complete and im trying to get them done by next monday. Wish me luck.

Wow...
You should e-mail them at [email protected] with your question. They respond pretty quickly in my experience.

Has anyone heard anything?

So, I was getting impatient and called UCF, and they said they were planning to start sending out interview invites in mid to late september, maybe around the 15th or 20th. Just wanted to pass on the news!

I have a packet. I listed them all separately, and UCF marked each letter received.

Good luck.

So, I was getting impatient and called UCF, and they said they were planning to start sending out interview invites in mid to late september, maybe around the 15th or 20th. Just wanted to pass on the news!

Thanks!

If that's the longest secondary you have to do, you didn't apply to many schools...many of the schools I applied to are much, much more involved and the essays required much more thought. UCF's is pretty straight-forward in application terms.

I actually applied to 32 schools if you checked my profile. Since I have not yet done all 32 secondaries, I am sure there are applications longer than the one I had to do for UCF. I was merely expressing a hope that the rest would be shorter than UCF's. This hope was shattered when I did FIU, Tulane, and Northwestern.

thanks!

Did everyone get an email when they were complete? My dashboard has said my application was complete for a while, but I never got an email saying that. Wondering if I should call..

I think they're reviewing in batches I was complete almost a month ago and got an email last week.

are these character letters required?

Every other school I applied to only required my premed committee letter...

are these character letters required?

Every other school I applied to only required my premed committee letter...

yeah they are, your best bet is to get one from a physician you've worked with and maybe an employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.