2008-2009 University of Michigan Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who are currently scheduling interviews, can someone confirm that 9/19 is still open? I need to reschedule mine from 9/5 to 9/19, and I can't check to make sure that day is still free.

As of two days ago, 9/19 was still available. I can't check anymore because I already scheduled mine for a different day, but you probably still have a pretty good chance to switch.

Members don't see this ad.

Man this is probably the first time I regret not going to a prestigious undergrad. Would have gotten an auto interview with a prestigious name (or what UM considers prestigious) and 3.8, instead I'm on hold and not getting my hopes up for an interview.

I'd be really curious to know which schools U of M considers prestigious. Anyone with auto-invites feel like sharing which undergrad they go/went to?

I'd be really curious to know which schools U of M considers prestigious. Anyone with auto-invites feel like sharing which undergrad they go/went to?

From what I've seen over the past couple years on MDapps and such, definitely top 30 undergrads are included, it might be top 50, definitely not 50 and below.

That's just based on my own observations and memory, I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man this is probably the first time I regret not going to a prestigious undergrad. Would have gotten an auto interview with a prestigious name (or what UM considers prestigious) and 3.8, instead I'm on hold and not getting my hopes up for an interview.

sorry, but I have to say this. NEVER regret where you went to undergrad, unless of course you didn't like it there. Be proud of where you went to school, and remember, your education is what you put into it. I went to an undergrad school that many (including obviously UMich) would think is not prestigious at all. I am so proud of my decision to go to that school, and I am 100% sure that my education there is at least as good as I could've gotten at any school UMich considers to be prestigious. As a matter of fact, I think my education was better, and so I'm immensely proud of going to this school. Never regret your decision. If you don't get accepted to UMich because you didn't go to a school that they consider to be prestigious, then guess what, you shouldn't want to go there anyway.

I really like UMich and they're definitely one of my top choices, but their auto-invite policy is ludicrous and seems rather pretentious on their part. I am completely fine with auto-invites for people with certain GPA/MCAT stuff because it seems that everyone at every school has the opportunity to achieve those things, but to factor the undergraduate school itself into that decision is just stupid, especially for the auto-invites. Oh well, I'm applying MD/PhD, so I don't think it matters for me either way since their policies are different, but I still think it's a stupid policy.

anyway, sorry for the rant, but I feel pretty strongly about this. it's funny, when I first started college I was the opposite and kind of regretted choosing my state school over a "better" school because of money. Now I'm so happy with my choice!! ok, good night!

I'm confused about the chemistry pre-reqs...do they want us to list 2 inorganic courses and 2 organic courses then only one lab out of all 4 of those?? (i had separate labs for every chem class). Or do they want you to list one inorganic course and then 1 inorganic lab in the 2 inorganic boxes and then same for organic? I'm not sure if by 8 hours minimum they mean total for orgo + non-orgo or 8 hours for each. :confused:

i dont know if thats the whole story.. i had abt the same stats as yours, a little lower of a GPA, and i got an auto-invite.. it could have partially been b/c i was engr'ing and non-trad maybe?..:confused:.. id consider UIUC at least as prestigious as UT-Austin, if not more... i almost went there for undergrad!

Legend
SR: Secondary Received
SS: Secondary Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview

Shemarty: SR: 6/25, SS: 7/24, C: 7/24, II: 6/25, I: 9/05
Myuuchan: SR: 6/30, SS: 7/7, C: 7/14, II: ?, I: ?
copingmethods: SR: 6/25, SS: 7/27, C: 7/30, II: ?, I: ?
AsFarAsImCncrnd: SR: 7/17, SS: 7/30, C: ?, II: 7/17, I: 9/12
Schwerbert: SR: 7/2, SS: 7/23, C: 7/25, II: ?, I: ?
Dulcina: SR: 7/25, SS: 7/31, C: 8/4, II: 7/25, I: 9/12
Meetchy: SR: 7/23, SS: 8/1, C: 8/1, II: 7/23, I: 9/12
oober: SR: 8/11, SS: 8/12, C: 8/13, II: 8/11, I: 9/19
Anatidae: SR: 7/11 SS: 7/27 C: 7/27 II: 7/11 I: 9/12

For those who got a "preinterview hold" what did their status message say?

For those who got a "preinterview hold" what did their status message say?

"Your file has had a preliminary review; current status is "hold". No interview decision has been made. Please be patient.Your file has had a preliminary screening by the Admissions Office for the MD program. Determination of the next step of review will take place at a later time and you will be notified if your status changes."

"Your file has had a preliminary review; current status is "hold". No interview decision has been made. Please be patient.Your file has had a preliminary screening by the Admissions Office for the MD program. Determination of the next step of review will take place at a later time and you will be notified if your status changes."

I ask because my status says "Initial review complete".
Your file has gone through an initial review. Additional reviews will be conducted after we receive all required documents (Secondary Application and LORs - through AMCAS). These reviews can take place any time between now and the end of the review cycle (February). Thank you for your patience!

Why would they have reviewed my app when I didn't even have my secondary materials in yet? :confused:

Legend

AsFarAsImCncrnd: SR: 7/17, SS: 7/30, C: 8/14, II: 7/17, I: 9/12

I'm on hold and not getting my hopes up for an interview.
Yeah, me too. Crap. Pretty sure they're just easing the let down of rejection by doing it in small increments.

Yeah, me too. Crap. Pretty sure they're just easing the let down of rejection by doing it in small increments.

Hey.....No, a pre int hold is not the end of the world at all. I'm an undergrad at umich, and I personally know a M2 who got a pre-interview hold, was later offered an interview, and ultimately offered a scholarship.

I dont understand the whole pre int hold thing, but that student told me she knew quite a few people in her class that had the same type of thing happen to them.

No worries

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey.....No, a pre int hold is not the end of the world at all. I'm an undergrad at umich, and I personally know a M2 who got a pre-interview hold, was later offered an interview, and ultimately offered a scholarship.

I dont understand the whole pre int hold thing, but that student told me she knew quite a few people in her class that had the same type of thing happen to them.

No worries
Really? Good to know, thanks HiFi. Here's hopin'!

Did any of you choose a student host for your interview? I just did and to tell you the truth I am kind of looking forward to it.

I love how they say the 25 bucks is for pizza and NOT beer - hopefully my host will have a little more sense than that. But then again maybe it's not a good idea to throw back a pitcher or three the day before my interview.

Legend

JoJo23497: SR: 7/22, SS: 8/23, C: ?, II: ?, I: ?

Does anyone know if they accept a fee waiver?

I don't see an option for it anywhere nor is it mentioned in any of the FAQs, etc, though MSAR says they do.

I didn't realize admissions offices were closed at 3:30 on a weekday :( or I'd call and ask.

LOR question:

So I've been complete at Michigan since 7/30. However, a science prof who has been out of town for months just got back to me and still wants to write me a letter. I want to forward this letter to Michigan, but if I indicate on AMCAS that I want this letter sent to Michigan, will Michigan put a hold on reviewing my app?

Losing to Utah? GG rich rodriguez.

does anyone know if there are interviews this coming tuesday?.. i cant remember if michigan just interviews on fridays or not ..reason im asking is b/c im visiting campus on tuesday (9/2) and thought id try and split shuttle fares from the airport w/ some ppl

http://www.annarborairportshuttle.net/4.html

has anyone received an interview without an automatic invite yet...?

Congrats to anybody who has an interview invite from this or any other school so far!

Remember to post them on the interview invite threads :) It's helpful for other SDN members, not only this year but also in the future!

Thanks!

Come on, now. The interview invite threads are only useful if people actually post on them.

Legend

WillyWonka: SR:6/25, SS: 8/20, C:8/20, II: 6/25, I: 9/12

Who else was there today? Anyone else love it as much as I did? :)

I wasn't there, but I'm glad you enjoyed UofM. Please tell those of us that have interviews soon as much as you can! :)

I wasn't there, but I'm glad you enjoyed UofM. Please tell those of us that have interviews soon as much as you can! :)

I posted feedback, so you can go check that out if you're curious.

But seriously, don't stress about this interview. They are so friendly and welcoming and the entire experience was very unstressful. Throughout the entire day, everyone seemed to be doing their best to ease the tension, and I heard from a lot of the current students that U of M was the most organized and relaxed interview they went on. So have fun, and enjoy the AMAZING facilities/faculty/students. I know I did!

Legend

Shemarty: SR: 6/25, SS: 7/24, C: 7/24, II: 6/25, I: 9/19
WillyWonka: SR:6/25, SS: 8/20, C:8/20, II: 6/25, I: 9/12

Ok...I've been complete since July 20 and have still heard nothing from them. Do you think it's a bad idea to call?

I'm in the same boat. All of the upper tier schools are giving me the cold shoulder thus far. I can imagine my app sitting in the "second tier applicants" pile right now. I don't think I'm going to call.

Man I wish I got some news from Mich.

i remember feeling the same way when i interviewed!..i was actually there this past wk just visiting-- guess you can call it a really late second look :D.. i had an awesome time and cant wait to be there next fall.. gluck to ya :thumbup:

omg im gonna be there on friday! I'm excited/nervous (more excited and less nervous after your post :p)

Anybody else who interviewed on Sept 5th receive a postcard for Dr. Ruiz??

Ahahhaha they sent out a facebook PDF of all the pictures of the people interviewing on the 19th. Man it looks like michigan's class of 2013 will be full of uggos (me included).

Ahahhaha they sent out a facebook PDF of all the pictures of the people interviewing on the 19th. Man it looks like michigan's class of 2013 will be full of uggos (me included).
what?!! they send those pics out?! i better take a good one...mine looks horrible, but i thought only the adcom would see it :p

hey peeps, just some feedback from the interview!

-it was SO unstressful. They really make an effort to put you at ease.
-the students were SO nice and welcoming
-the interviews were conversations, not "grilling" at all
-day went from 7:30-2:30. It was a rush for me to catch my 4:30 flight
-cheapest ride from airport to ann arbor is the michigan flyer ($15)

id be happy to answer any more questions!! good luck guys!

Hey Dulcina, what kind of healthcare/healthpolicy kind of stuff did they ask you about? I guess since it was all conversational did those topics come up in anyway or did the interviewer try to stick to things you referenced on your app?

Hey Dulcina, what kind of healthcare/healthpolicy kind of stuff did they ask you about? I guess since it was all conversational did those topics come up in anyway or did the interviewer try to stick to things you referenced on your app?

they didnt ask about healthcare at all.
one interviewer asked about a couple of the activities on my amcas. the other two just picked one activity (neither were medicine related!!) that they were personally interested in, and we just had a conversation about that.

Where in Ann Arbor does the Michigan Flyer drop you off?

Status
Not open for further replies.