2009-2010 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rejection email this morning. good luck to those who are still hanging in the balance!

Members don't see this ad.

pre-interview rejection letter this morning. good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
pre-interview rejection as well! still waiting on 10 schools. guess im done getting invites, i hope not...good luck everybody!

pre-interview rejection as well! still waiting on 10 schools. guess im done getting invites, i hope not...good luck everybody!

Same for me -- pre-interview rejection email this morning. Good luck!

Still nothing for me...are they even giving interviews out still?

Hi guys, I was waitlisted about a month ago. I was wondering if any of you who were recently accepted or rejected could share some stats. I'm willing to put mine up also if anybody cares.

Hi guys, I was waitlisted about a month ago. I was wondering if any of you who were recently accepted or rejected could share some stats. I'm willing to put mine up also if anybody cares.

Got rejected today.

MCAT: mid 30
GPA:3.999

Got accepted to one of my top5 schools, so it doesn't matter too much.

I wonder if the school screens for applicants who view the school as a backup.

Quite surprised that I didn't get an interview invite.

Just got rejected pre-interview. Have been surprised that I wasn't offered an interview earlier, but as I've been accepted to both my state schools and another Catholic school I'm in a good position.

Good luck to everyone else and congrats to those who were accepted.

Got rejected today.

Wow that surprises me you were rejected with good numbers. Glad you have an acceptance though!

They are looking for people who have a ton of community experience and clinical experience. I didn't get in either and I found out that I did not get in because I did not have enough community service. No big loss though.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are looking for people who have a ton of community experience and clinical experience. I didn't get in either and I found out that I did not get in because I did not have enough community service. No big loss though.

Hmm, I have some clinical and more community service but I have a ton of research. I dunno, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what adcoms do =\

Got rejected today.

Sorry that you didn't get an interview. Just to address the bolded part, I cannot claim to know everything about the interview selection process, but I can assure you that we don't pass on people with great scores JUST because they have great scores. For sure, your stats are definitely competitive, but this has been a very competitive year and we have interviewed plenty of applicants with seemingly unreal stats. Our incoming average will probably be around a 30-31 again, but that's the average. There will be more than handful of people with >= 35s in next year's class.

In your case, there's no way for me to know why you didn't get a shot. We look for very well rounded applicants, but there are way too many well rounded people that don't get an interview because of timing or just the shear number of qualified apps. It sucks that we can't interview more, because there are so so many really good applicants, but unfortunately people who would be a great fit just don't get the call sometimes. It's quite possible that they just weren't able to get around to your app in time (not sure when you applied), but I'm happy that you have other options and hope that you think you would be happy at one of those places.

For those hoping to avoid that problem next year, there are some things that can be done to aid your application. First and foremost, apply early, apply early, APPLY EARLY! I cannot stress that enough. Second, send updates as they happen. If it's December and you haven't heard back but you're still hoping to interview, send an update with fall grades/new activities. Little things like that can help.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, just wanted to dispel any myths about us not interviewing people with very competitive stats - this incoming class has students that are absolute studs on paper, but are even better in person. :)

The 1/22 group was discussed last week, but due to the Phoenix open house taking place over the weekend, my guess is that things are running behind a bit. Good luck!

For those keeping track at home, 1/29 is up to bat this week, so given the delays with last week, I wouldn't expect decisions to be made known until later next week.

2/5 is on deck for next week.

Do you know if this is still an accurate timeline? There haven't been any posts of post-interview decisions in a while. Just curious.

I interviewed on 1/22 and I found out this week that I am on the alternate list. Has anyone heard if there will be much movement from the alternate list this year?

Sorry that you didn't get an interview. Just to address the bolded part, I cannot claim to know everything about the interview selection process, but I can assure you that we don't pass on people with great scores JUST because they have great scores. For sure, your stats are definitely competitive, but this has been a very competitive year and we have interviewed plenty of applicants with seemingly unreal stats. Our incoming average will probably be around a 30-31 again, but that's the average. There will be more than handful of people with >= 35s in next year's class.

In your case, there's no way for me to know why you didn't get a shot. We look for very well rounded applicants, but there are way too many well rounded people that don't get an interview because of timing or just the shear number of qualified apps. It sucks that we can't interview more, because there are so so many really good applicants, but unfortunately people who would be a great fit just don't get the call sometimes. It's quite possible that they just weren't able to get around to your app in time (not sure when you applied), but I'm happy that you have other options and hope that you think you would be happy at one of those places.

For those hoping to avoid that problem next year, there are some things that can be done to aid your application. First and foremost, apply early, apply early, APPLY EARLY! I cannot stress that enough. Second, send updates as they happen. If it's December and you haven't heard back but you're still hoping to interview, send an update with fall grades/new activities. Little things like that can help.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, just wanted to dispel any myths about us not interviewing people with very competitive stats - this incoming class has students that are absolute studs on paper, but are even better in person. :)

Thanks for the info.
I was hoping to interview at Creighton, but turned out to be disappointing in the end.
I guess updates are important.
I never bothered to send any, because I thought it would bug the admissions office.

Well good luck to everyone still waiting answers.

I interviewed on 1/22 and I found out this week that I am on the alternate list. Has anyone heard if there will be much movement from the alternate list this year?

Did you find out by email, phone, or snail-mail?

Got rejected yesterday. This was the only rejection where I just had to laugh.

Do you know if this is still an accurate timeline? There haven't been any posts of post-interview decisions in a while. Just curious.

We just discussed 2/12 for the first time today. Not sure when decisions for that group will go out (probably not until next week at the earliest).

I would be very surprised if things weren't happening slower than usual right now given that the entire admissions staff/office is right in the middle of moving from the 6th floor down to the first floor. It has been pretty hectic over there, so anyone that has sent e-mails or made calls or is waiting for a decision, try hard to be patient and as always, best of luck! :)

We just discussed 2/12 for the first time today. Not sure when decisions for that group will go out (probably not until next week at the earliest).

I would be very surprised if things weren't happening slower than usual right now given that the entire admissions staff/office is right in the middle of moving from the 6th floor down to the first floor. It has been pretty hectic over there, so anyone that has sent e-mails or made calls or is waiting for a decision, try hard to be patient and as always, best of luck! :)

Way cool. Thank you for relaying information and appeasing the neurotic demon within. So I am curious. How does the post-interview process work over there? Do they reduce the pool by "x" applicants each time they meet, until they decide on who to admit? How many times do they review each file?

Does anyone know how the admissions office notifies you of the decision? Phone/email/snail mail?
Thanks!!

Does anyone know how the admissions office notifies you of the decision? Phone/email/snail mail?
Thanks!!

Acceptances are by phone, followed by a letter in the mail. Waitlists are by mail only (received one last year :mad:). From what I have noticed, pre-interview rejections are by email. Post-interview rejections, email then letter?

Is there a lot of competition between Creighton students and those from Univ of Nebraska? Would you say one is held higher in reputation than the other? I'm really interested in applying to Creighton because of its Catholic connection, but I don't know how it is with another med school in the same area. Thanks for any reply :)

Accepted today by phone. Interviewed 1/22. The wait is over, haha, damn.

Has anyone else received an email like this?

"The Committee on Admissions is in the process of making a final admissions decision on your file. Before making the decision the Committee requests that you submit an update that details all the community service and shadowing activities that you have completed."

Accepted today by phone. Interviewed 1/22. The wait is over, haha, damn.

I guess those are good emails to get!

Accepted today by phone 3/12 Interviewed on 2/12 Also received an acceptance email!

:clap:

Accepted today by phone 3/12 Interviewed on 2/12 Also received an acceptance email!

:clap:

Congrats!!!
I must say that the Friday acceptance calls really make that weekend AWESOME haha

Accepted today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interviewed 2/12
so SO SOOOOOO Happy!!!!!!

accepted today! got a call from Mr. Jarmon :)
interviewed 2/12. now i have some hard decisions to make!

Congrats all!

Any 2/5 interviewees get accepted?

I'm interviewing on the 27th. Any words of wisdom out there?

I'm interviewing on the 27th. Any words of wisdom out there?

The interviews are very relaxed. Don't be uptight or worried and do your best to highlight the strengths of your application. Show them why they would want to work with you as a student and peer.

Other than that, make sure to check out the interview feedback section.

Goodluck!

Does anyone know if they have gone through all of the files for the 2/12 interviewees? It looks like three people got offers on 3/12. Wonder if that is all they are going to accept out of that group?

Anybody hear anything yet today? Also, just to subside the crazy a bit, what time did all the accepted people receive calls?

Anybody hear anything yet today? Also, just to subside the crazy a bit, what time did all the accepted people receive calls?

i am on the east coast and received the call just after 6pm eastern time from mr. jarmon, so at least that week he stayed after normal business hours to make some calls....best of luck to you!

i am on the east coast and received the call just after 6pm eastern time from mr. jarmon, so at least that week he stayed after normal business hours to make some calls....best of luck to you!

Thanks so much! I'm trying really hard to be patient!

I live in NE and I got a call around 2:30 to 3ish.

niva , when did you interview?

Anyone from 2/19 hear anything?

Anyone think match day may have slowed things down this week?

I just really want to get in here

niva , when did you interview?

Anyone from 2/19 hear anything?

Anyone think match day may have slowed things down this week?

I just really want to get in here

I interviewed on 2/12.

I just withdrew my acceptance. Hope one of you on the waitlist gets it, good luck!

does anyone know anything about a second look day?

I'm not sure if it's official yet, but I've heard that a second look day might be planned for sometime near the end of April. I'll let post once there is a concrete plan.

I'm not sure if it's official yet, but I've heard that a second look day might be planned for sometime near the end of April. I'll let post once there is a concrete plan.

They have two second look days, one in Omaha and one in Phoenix. Just got the email yesterday, so you probably did as well.

Creighton University School of Medicine
Saturday, April 24, 2010

St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center
Saturday, May 8, 2010

Does anyone know what's going on with admissions at this point? Are they going to hold off on any further decisions until after May 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.