2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an e-mail asking for a pre-requisite clarification request.

I then got a response to that stating that I should expect to receive the request within 48 hours.

Marcy at Mayo is very helpful indeed!

:luck:

What did they ask you? About Biochem, maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Minnesota?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that they will notify applicants to submit their LORs...

I think they will as well, because some people may not have their LORs designated yet. Mine are ready to go...

Members don't see this ad :)
So you got a request for the pre-req clarification AND they told you they will be starting to request LORs in 48 hours? Do I understand that correctly? That would be insane to get the LOR request within a week from paying my fee to Mayo.

And yes, Marcy is awesome.

Here's how it went down:

Them:
Hey bamtuba, we need to clarify that you did/will take X. Let us know so we can process your app.

Me:
Cool. You are awesome. I plan on taking X soon.

Them:
Cool. We know we are awesome. You can expect to receive a request for LORs in the next 48 hours. Keep in touch.

Me:
Hey SDN, it looks like the wheels are a-movin'

Everybody else:
:scared: Oh no.
:thumbup: Congrats.
:love: I love Mayo.

Me:
:luck: everybodys

:)

I think they will as well, because some people may not have their LORs designated yet. Mine are ready to go...

For some reason I didn't think of this as my LORs are already up. I think this is correct though...they should request for LORs in case they are not yet assigned.

Here's how it went down:

Them:
Hey bamtuba, we need to clarify that you did/will take X. Let us know so we can process your app.

Me:

Them:
Cool. We know we are awesome. You can expect to receive a request for LORs in the next 48 hours. Keep in touch.

Me:

Everybody else:

Me:

LOL...that's pretty accurate... was this over the phone?

At least I may get to know as soon as 2 days!!

Here's how it went down:

Them:

Me:

Them:

Me:

Everybody else:

Me:

When did you pay your fee to Mayo?

Since you seem to have such a good connection with Mayo, tell them to review my app too, please...:D

When did you pay your fee to Mayo?

Since you seem to have such a good connection with Mayo, tell them to review my app too, please...:D

I paid less than one week ago.

Um...I ain't got no connections. They just needed some clarification and decided to share things with me after I responded.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. Besides, its just one more step in the process.

I paid less than one week ago.

Um...I ain't got no connections. They just needed some clarification and decided to share things with me after I responded.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. Besides, its just one more step in the process.

Well assuming we both paid on the first day, then I hopefully will receive a LOR request soon too...:xf: (crossed fingers, and knocking on wood).

I didn't think you had connections at Mayo, but if any one does and is looking for some one to help, I am waiting.

One more step with Mayo is a big deal though. After LORs there is an inverview step and and acceptance step, so that is pretty good to get that far.

Well it is only July 1st, so don't be too stressed. You definitely do not want to waste any time though either. As I have said multiple times, Mayo is running on an accelerated cycle this year, so being late this year is worse than in years past. Now like I said, it is still only July 1st, so even on an accelerated cycle it is still early. If you want an idea of how long it is taking people to get verified check out the 2009-2010 AMCAS verification thread in the main pre-allo forum.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you just decide 5 days ago to apply this cycle?

I anticipated that I would do horribly on the MCAT because I didn't study apart from taking about 5 full length AAMC practice tests. The spring semester was crazy and time got away from me and I didn't want to take the MCAT, but my mom had paid for it and she was determined that I was taking it. So I took it and felt terrible about it and thought I would just retake it in a year and stay an extra year to do my master's. But when I got my score back, it was a lot better than I expected- good enough to apply.

Here's how it went down:

Them:

Me:

Them:

Me:

Everybody else:

Me:

Almost exact same thing happened to me, verbatim. At first I was like, "oh crap." Then after the response I was like "wait... so was I not weeded out? seriously? freakin' sweet!"

Almost exact same thing happened to me, verbatim. At first I was like, "oh crap." Then after the response I was like "wait... so was I not weeded out? seriously? freakin' sweet!"

Now I wish I had a missing prereq too, so I could find out this information ahead of the crowd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters of recommendation!!! :) :) :) happiest girl alive tonight.

I got a letter of rec request!! :love: My $100 wasn't wasted!

Good luck to the rest of you!!

This was the email if anyone is curious:

Dear *********,

Thank you for your application to Mayo Medical School. To continue the review of your application we request that you submit letters of reference.

For the 2010 Admissions Cycle, we are accepting recommendation letters only through the AMCAS letter service. We will not accept any letters sent directly to our office.

When letters are requested, please visit the AMCAS Web site, http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm, for more information on how to submit letters of recommendation to Mayo Medical School. To ensure the efficient processing of your letters by AMCAS, please carefully follow all instructions.

We require three letters of reference or a composite letter from a premedical committee. You may submit additional letters if you desire. Your references should be written by persons who know you well and whose opinions have bearing on the likelihood of your success in medical school. At least one of the references should be from a member of the science faculty. A letter from a teaching assistant is acceptable. Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference.

The review of your application file will continue upon receipt of the letters of reference. You will be notified via email when a change is made to your application status.

Sincerely,

Patricia Barrier, M.D., M.P.H.
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Chair, Admissions Committee

What do we have to do to send the LORs to Mayo through AMCAS? Nothing? I don't understand this system. Some one please help me, I am freaking excited right now and can't think straight.

What do we have to do to send the LORs to Mayo through AMCAS? Nothing? I don't understand this system. Some one please help me, I am freaking excited right now and can't think straight.

Story of my life. I'm going to go dance on my bed and then somehow fall asleep.

I still don't understand this dang AMCAS letter service...I wish there was an actual send button for the letters. That way I could say to myself, "I have sent my letters to Mayo." As it is, I don't know what to do. I hope Mayo sends a LOR received email. I just double checked my AMCAS, and I have my LORs already designated for Mayo. I need to be less neurotic perhaps?

Hi guys, I have a question. Mayo says that letter authors should put your AMCAS ID number in their letter of rec. Is there a reason for this? I never knew that letter authors had to.

Hi guys, I have a question. Mayo says that letter authors should put your AMCAS ID number in their letter of rec. Is there a reason for this? I never knew that letter authors had to.

I don't know that my letter writers did this, but maybe it is so they are less likely to lose them?

Once amcas has your letters and you have designated which ones you want to go to mayo they will automatically have access to them. I am crazy neurotic too but I think I should probably just go to sleep....

Yet another reason to use Interfolio - they put your ID number on the letters (or attach it to the letters that you send to AMCAS)...

Me neither...I wonder if this means anything.

Maybe you will get yours tonight. I am almost positive that if they don't want to proceed with your application that they will tell you. I had a friend apply to Mayo last year, and he told me that within 2 days of paying his fee he was rejected. If you ask me, no email is better than a rejection email. It means there is still hope.

I still don't understand this dang AMCAS letter service...I wish there was an actual send button for the letters. That way I could say to myself, "I have sent my letters to Mayo." As it is, I don't know what to do. I hope Mayo sends a LOR received email. I just double checked my AMCAS, and I have my LORs already designated for Mayo. I need to be less neurotic perhaps?

I just wanted to give you all a heads up that you should get a confirmation of Mayo's receipt of your LOR. It might take up to a week (probably less time because you are all early) but it should come. Hope this takes some stress off all of you. You all are freaking out already haha.

omg.. I havn't received LOR request e-mail.. anyone on the same boat as me? I submitted on the very day secondary app was available..

Edit: hope this doesn't mean automatic rejection

Last edited:
omg.. I havn't received LOR request e-mail.. anyone on the same boat as me? I submitted on the very day secondary app was available..

Edit: hope this doesn't mean automatic rejection

same here....

i think we just have to be patient on this one.

cmon guys, it's only July 2. let's just chill out a little bit.

Damn, I feel for you all who have not yet received the LOR request. I understand the stress, I would be absolutely freaking out. Just stay positive, no email doesn't mean anything. Maybe tonight they will send out more.

Damn, I feel for you all who have not yet received the LOR request. I understand the stress, I would be absolutely freaking out. Just stay positive, no email doesn't mean anything. Maybe tonight they will send out more.

Thanks bud...not too freaked out lol

Haha. I appreciate your sympathy. And, to be honest, I AM freaking out:eek:. I absolutely love Mayo and I want them to get a chance to read my LORs before they reject me. The 2AM emails don't make things any better

you guys need to relax. not getting an email yet doesnt mean a damn thing. stop looking into everything like its life or death, you look like psychopaths

Haha. I appreciate your sympathy. And, to be honest, I AM freaking out:eek:. I absolutely love Mayo and I want them to get a chance to read my LORs before they reject me. The 2AM emails don't make things any better

No need to freak out man...you got amazing stats! they'd be sorry to not give you LOR request

The 2AM emails don't make things any better

I am further west, so the emails come at about midnight my time. I don't know what is worse though, 2 a.m. or midnight. Midnight is about an hour or two too late for me to want to just stay up, but at the same time it is only midnight. At least at 2 a.m. it would be crazy to stay up THAT late, so going to sleep isn't a bad thing. Plus, since you are two hours ahead of me, if we both see it at 9 a.m. in our respective time zones you will see it first. I do wonder why they chose such late emails, maybe they don't want us losing sleep freaking out after getting an email late in the evening.

Nah, I think it's because servers work quickly when no one else in the office is using their own computers so they are able to send mass emails quickly. Also, any delay in sending it out between people at awkward hours means that Mayo's office doesn't get bombarded with antsy pre-med phone calls of, "OMG did you lose my application?!"

I got a letter of rec request!! :love: My $100 wasn't wasted!

Good luck to the rest of you!!

This was the email if anyone is curious:

Dear *********,

Thank you for your application to Mayo Medical School. To continue the review of your application we request that you submit letters of reference.

For the 2010 Admissions Cycle, we are accepting recommendation letters only through the AMCAS letter service. We will not accept any letters sent directly to our office.

When letters are requested, please visit the AMCAS Web site, http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm, for more information on how to submit letters of recommendation to Mayo Medical School. To ensure the efficient processing of your letters by AMCAS, please carefully follow all instructions.

We require three letters of reference or a composite letter from a premedical committee. You may submit additional letters if you desire. Your references should be written by persons who know you well and whose opinions have bearing on the likelihood of your success in medical school. At least one of the references should be from a member of the science faculty. A letter from a teaching assistant is acceptable. Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference.

The review of your application file will continue upon receipt of the letters of reference. You will be notified via email when a change is made to your application status.

Sincerely,

Patricia Barrier, M.D., M.P.H.
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Chair, Admissions Committee

I got this exact same email. I have had my 4 LOR letters inserted into my AMCAS for over 3 weeks now...

Do I have to do anything else?

I got this exact same email. I have had my 4 LOR letters inserted into my AMCAS for over 3 weeks now...

Do I have to do anything else?

Wait for them to get back to you in a couple of weeks or so. Welcome to the wonderful world of waiting that is most of the application cycle...

Best of luck 2014'ers!

Wait for them to get back to you in a couple of weeks or so. Welcome to the wonderful world of waiting that is most of the application cycle...

Best of luck 2014'ers!

They seem to be doing an excellent job of getting back to us within 48 hours to confirm they received whatever they needed. They did it with the fee. I am just wanting Mayo to let me know they have my letters, then I am fine waiting for them to do their thing with them. I am just paranoid that I will think I have everything set to go and then find out a few weeks down the line that they never received my letters or something. Then at that point be screwed.

Argh, I screwed up in some timing and now I have to wait a week and a half for my letters to be sent in.

Oh well. C'est la vie.

well, no sense worrying about it today. everyone's on vacation anyway. even monday might be pushing it haha, I wouldn't expect anything till tuesday earliest (set low expectations so you won't be disappointed :thumbup:)

This weekend is boring. I have no secondaries left to finish. I felt it was important for me to tell all of you this...:rolleyes:

So I'm taking Biochem in the Fall... does anyone know if this will satisfy Mayo's requirement? Is it required you take biochem (and have a grade for admissions to review) before you apply or just before you matriculate?

So I'm taking Biochem in the Fall... does anyone know if this will satisfy Mayo's requirement? Is it required you take biochem (and have a grade for admissions to review) before you apply or just before you matriculate?

You only need it before you matriculate.

Matriculate.

This weekend is boring. I have no secondaries left to finish. I felt it was important for me to tell all of you this...:rolleyes:
Me too! Thank god for the weekends... I had four on my plate and finished them on Friday, now I'm just rotating them around people for proofreading over the weekend. I can definitely deal with that! lol

Me too! Thank god for the weekends... I had four on my plate and finished them on Friday, now I'm just rotating them around people for proofreading over the weekend. I can definitely deal with that! lol

You had four left to do? I haven't even received four secondaries. So far, it is Mayo (not really a secondary), WashU (no essays), and Pitt (short essays), so I haven't really had anything to do. I was hoping that after the 24th I would be staying busy with secondaries.

After looking at your MDapps, you are applying to 7 of the 11 schools I am applying to! Looks like we are interested in similar schools/locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.