2009-2010 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys Ms. Davis says the waitlist is holding steady....no movement today. She said there are a few people still left from the high list. July 1st is the last day to hear something. Personally I have already registered to take courses starting June 15th at a local university. I am also probably gonna take the MCAT again. Good luck.

Wow that was definitely some sad movement this year...thanks for calling ASSA.

Good luck on the MCAT! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

What I dont get is why they would have 200+ people on the official waitlist if they have no formula of making sure they get to it? I love the school but this process is def taking a toll on me. Been on this list since early February.

What I dont get is why they would have 200+ people on the official waitlist if they have no formula of making sure they get to it? I love the school but this process is def taking a toll on me. Been on this list since early February.

I definitely agree, it's strange why they have so many people on the WL for a class of 90-100. My other WL has a class of 300 and they also have 200 on the list so it doesn't seem to make sense.

I also don't understand why they interview so many applicants! They should just make it more competitive. Everyone that has gotten off the list has interviewed in late March. This makes sense as to what assa was saying before, the high list is composed of those who were accepted after the class was full. We haven't seen anyone who interviewed before March get off yet.

I interviewed in Jan so I feel you pain...

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought the waitlist was 200+ total, both high/ranked and regular/unranked? Meharry isn't doing anything differently from last year or the year before. Just like this year, they interviewed into May, and had long waitlists that they were able to pull students from. This is just a new year, a new generation of students (who are on their sht for real!), and therefore a different outcome. No one can predict from year to year. Next year they could take 120 students off the waitlist. You never know. I doubt that it'll happen, though. With sites like SDN, people are just more educated. We're all helping each other and in the process, making it harder and harder for each other as each cycle comes and goes. But it doesn't mean that Meharry should change anything and underprepare. They have to put themselves in the best position possible to make sure that each class is filled, even if that means that many of us are left without a spot in said class, which happens every year. This is the blessing and the curse of it all.

I definitely agree, it's strange why they have so many people on the WL for a class of 90-100. My other WL has a class of 300 and they also have 200 on the list so it doesn't seem to make sense.

I also don't understand why they interview so many applicants! They should just make it more competitive. Everyone that has gotten off the list has interviewed in late March. This makes sense as to what assa was saying before, the high list is composed of those who were accepted after the class was full. We haven't seen anyone who interviewed before March get off yet.

I interviewed in Jan so I feel you pain...

I'm guessing that they interview so many people to give those diamonds in the rough a chance to shine. Imagine if they interviewed less people, or made their interview selection more rigorous. You and I might not have made it to Nashville. You and I might not have a chance to get off the waitlist. So while yes, there is a huge waitlist, I'm glad they gave us the opportunity. And while it's frustrating watching something so close slip right through our fingers, we have to understand that if it isn't going to happen, then it wasn't meant to happen this way. And from there, it's up to us to determine our next moves.

Sorry to get all preachy. I understand how antsy we're all becoming, because I myself am FREAKIN OUT like crazy trying to find something to do and somewhere to be this Fall, but we shouldn't kick a gift horse in the mouth. Meharry did not have to choose us to interview, and they certainly couldn't have predicted that the waitlist would be so frigid this cycle. They have to leave their options open, too, just like everyone else. And maybe even moreso than everybody else, since their waitlists have probably seen more movement than most in past years. I'm always rooting for us, but I'm rooting for Meharry, too, and praying that they are making those decisions that are best for them, even if they don't include me.

We'll be alright, no matter the outcome. These schools did not make us, and by default they should not break us or our spirits.

I can't say I'm mad at meharry, just wondering if all my hard work and sleepless nights were for nothing. I'm starting to give up hope an look into other options. I'm reapplying this last time but I'm also going to apply to masters program. It would be nice to see more ppl get off the list though

I can't say I'm mad at meharry, just wondering if all my hard work and sleepless nights were for nothing. I'm starting to give up hope an look into other options. I'm reapplying this last time but I'm also going to apply to masters program. It would be nice to see more ppl get off the list though

Ya it's just kind of stressful when you have done everything you can to show them interest. I completely feel you!

I'm applying to a SMP program for next fall. I don't really want to go to SGU but I might get waitlisted for my program as well. That would suck!

Anyways I really sincerely hope there is more WL movement or at least they get to those of us who are on the middle list!

Hey is anyone applying to Meharry EDP?

How does EDP work?

I personally don't think anyone should apply anywhere EDP unless they will be out the country during the regular season. Basically you only get to apply to one school, and if you are offered an interview you will get a decision by October 1st or are deferred to the regular season. If you are accepted you are committed to that school and can't apply elsewhere. If you are not accepted your application to other programs will be delayed as you will not be allowed to apply anywhere else until the program you applied EDP renders a decision. The regular application season first day of acceptance is October 15th so no point in locking yourself down to one school, in my opinion.

I personally don't think anyone should apply anywhere EDP unless they will be out the country during the regular season. Basically you only get to apply to one school, and if you are offered an interview you will get a decision by October 1st or are deferred to the regular season. If you are accepted you are committed to that school and can't apply elsewhere. If you are not accepted your application to other programs will be delayed as you will not be allowed to apply anywhere else until the program you applied EDP renders a decision. The regular application season first day of acceptance is October 15th so no point in locking yourself down to one school, in my opinion.

Thanks for the info! I just really want to go to Meharry :( I think I have my heart set on the school now. I also heard through the grapevine that it is favorable for WL students to apply EDP. Just curious I guess!

This forum got really really sad...hang in there everyone. I hope at least one of us will get off the list before July!

Does anyone have an idea of how many pple are left on the high list?

I keep hearing this "a few people left" so I'm assuming it's ~5...but call and ask!

I would call but my office phone has no Long distance and my cell phone gets .25 bars here :laugh:

I also heard that it is great for WL's to apply EDP. I was plannig on taking 2 years off and apply next cycle. but i may just apply this cycle EDP to Meharry only.

Still :xf: !

I also heard that it is great for WL's to apply EDP. I was plannig on taking 2 years off and apply next cycle. but i may just apply this cycle EDP to Meharry only.

Still :xf: !

Yep I called today and asked if they think they were gonna get to the middle List. She said yes. Well I guess at this point we can't do much.Let's keep hope alive. I so wanna go to this school

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I called today and asked if they think they were gonna get to the middle List. She said yes. Well I guess at this point we can't do much.Let's keep hope alive. I so wanna go to this school

Wow this made me feel a little less hopeless! Thanks so much for calling! I'm going to call and get some info on EDP tomorrow. I'm not sure why WL movement has seemed to be at a glacial pace but I'm hoping they at least pull 5 of us from the middle list.

I called admissions today. They said the WL is holding steady right now but there has been a some movement in the past week. Mrs. Davis didn't know anything about the high vs. middle list situation.

I also asked about EDP, usually they take 0-2 people every year so it doesn't look like a good idea to apply to it.

Good luck guys.

I called admissions today. They said the WL is holding steady right now but there has been a some movement in the past week. Mrs. Davis didn't know anything about the high vs. middle list situation.

I also asked about EDP, usually they take 0-2 people every year so it doesn't look like a good idea to apply to it.

Good luck guys.

Seems like she is the only one taking calls.

Seems like she is the only one taking calls.

Ya she is really nice. I told her how stressed out I was and she was super cool about it. She told me she has been doing it forever and se knows how anixous we all are.

Everyone stopped posting here, I know it looks kind of grim because no one has been taken of the list but we still have until 7/1.

So that is still a month more of possibilities of taken off the list. At this point we will have to pray that everyone else is going to get into their state school or something.

Also it seems like in life things come in waves. You know when you work at a place and you get no customers and then all of a sudden you get like a crap load? The theory is that people do things in groups and that people have patterns of thinking to move in groups.

Well let us hope this applies to the WL movement as well. Maybe it has been slow for the last week but maybe next week 10 people will withdraw! Anyways stay in there, I hope one of us will get in at least.

Yeah, it's looking kinda bleak. But anything can happen, there's still time. That would be a nice story to tell. I have aleady started to apply for next year. I think it might work out better for me like that. I have to save money and buy a car; also pay some bills. But we should still pray for each other. An we all should at least become friends on facebook.

Time is flying by quickly. Come on Meharry! When I called this week they said they were hoping to be done with their high list this week. I dont think at this point though updates may help as they probably already reviewed their files

Also I bet they have already selected their post bac class since that starts early June. Anyone heard any news about it?

Time is flying by quickly. Come on Meharry! When I called this week they said they were hoping to be done with their high list this week. I dont think at this point though updates may help as they probably already reviewed their files

Also I bet they have already selected their post bac class since that starts early June. Anyone heard any news about it?

I asked Mr. Mosley about the Post Bac group. He said that they usually don't select people from the Waitlist. He said that he would not that I was interested in the program though. I read in another thread that they usually invite people to interview specifically for the post bac class.

I asked Mr. Mosley about the Post Bac group. He said that they usually don't select people from the Waitlist. He said that he would not that I was interested in the program though. I read in another thread that they usually invite people to interview specifically for the post bac class.

Did you speak with him today? Did he give you any other info about the high vs middle waitlist situation?

Last time I called him he said that at this point he has no control over our files because they are with the Admission's Committee. So it's probably too late to express any interest.

I really hope they are done with the high list soon! Here is to June and and the middle list!

Last time I called him he said that at this point he has no control over our files because they are with the Admission's Committee. So it's probably too late to express any interest.

I really hope they are done with the high list soon! Here is to June and and the middle list!

Isn't he the director? Hmmm I wonder who this "committee" person is:xf:

Isn't he the director? Hmmm I wonder who this "committee" person is:xf:

He is the director but they also have an Admission's Committee. I don't think he is a part of the committee but he does have the power to recommend applicants to the committee and also take note of our interest in the school.

Our files are with the admission's committee now which is not just one person but several.

He is the director but they also have an Admission's Committee. I don't think he is a part of the committee but he does have the power to recommend applicants to the committee and also take note of our interest in the school.

Our files are with the admission's committee now which is not just one person but several.
Yea, I do know the committee is a group of people. However, I thought that since he could place updates in our files or check the status of our files then the files would be with him. O well here's to the month of June:luck:

Did you speak with him today? Did he give you any other info about the high vs middle waitlist situation?

Nope. I didnt speak to him today. This was last week, Thursday. At that time he told me they would begin ranking people on the middle list in about 2 weeks. I've almost thrown in the towel myself. I just registered for some courses at my undergrad, looking into some post bacs that are still accepting apps now, and working on my apps for next year. I applied pretty late this app cycle so im getting the jump start now for next year.

Good luck to all of you. If we dont get in this year, I am hoping congratulate all of you in a thread next year.

Yea, I do know the committee is a group of people. However, I thought that since he could place updates in our files or check the status of our files then the files would be with him. O well here's to the month of June:luck:

Oh hehe, you are right, he did have our files and was placing updates and what not. But the last time I called him ~1 week ago, he told me not to send him or email him anything because our files were with Ad Com instead of him.

I'm assuming that maybe they are starting to rank us? Anyways I asked him if I could send in anymore updates and he said at this point just wait. There is nothing we can do to change out files or add to our files.

I also asked Mr. Mosley how exactly we get ranked. He said basically the Ad Com gets together and go over our files. Mr. Mosley can recommend people to the committee (I'm assuming this is based on who is showed interest, aka us SDNers!). Then the Ad Com talks about what they like about us, what they don't like about us. Then they take a vote.

I hope they are done with the high list!

Oh hehe, you are right, he did have our files and was placing updates and what not. But the last time I called him ~1 week ago, he told me not to send him or email him anything because our files were with Ad Com instead of him.

I'm assuming that maybe they are starting to rank us? Anyways I asked him if I could send in anymore updates and he said at this point just wait. There is nothing we can do to change out files or add to our files.

I also asked Mr. Mosley how exactly we get ranked. He said basically the Ad Com gets together and go over our files. Mr. Mosley can recommend people to the committee (I'm assuming this is based on who is showed interest, aka us SDNers!). Then the Ad Com talks about what they like about us, what they don't like about us. Then they take a vote.

I hope they are done with the high list!
I guess there was really nothing like a ranked middle list then? O boy this may turn out to be the vote of the century:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:.
The last time I talked with him, after he told me my status, he sounded kinda rushed ( like he wanted to get off the phone). Am guessing cos I started asking him follow up questions about my odds of acceptance:smuggrin:

I guess there was really nothing like a ranked middle list then? O boy this may turn out to be the vote of the century:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:.
The last time I talked with him, after he told me my status, he sounded kinda rushed ( like he wanted to get off the phone). Am guessing cos I started asking him follow up questions about my odds of acceptance:smuggrin:

Well the first time I called him he told me I was on the ranked list. The second time I called him he told me the ranked list was the top of the middle list. This last time I called him, he sounded rushed as well and told me that the ad com has told him not to give anything anyway. I asked him if the ranked list doesn't exist anymore and he neither denied it or confirmed it. He just kept saying he can't give anything away anymore.

So who knows?? :laugh:

For those accepted, has any of you completed the online insurance enrollment? I have no clue where to do this. Any help will be appreciated.

For those accepted, has any of you completed the online insurance enrollment? I have no clue where to do this. Any help will be appreciated.

You mean as in the Medical Insurance. The steps are in one of the letters in the orientation packet, but here is the link ----> www.aetnastudenthealth.com

Have you joined our group on Facebook?? If not you should do so! Lots of good info we have already shared amongst the Class of 2014 and Class of 2013 has also offered their insight as well. "Meharry Medical College School of Medicine--Class of 2014!!" ---> http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=105587076137055&ref=ts

Well congrats on your acceptance and I look forward to meeting you soon :)

Alright! Here's to the first week of June! There is about 4 weeks left until we are all officially rejected.

Good luck guys, I know it is looking really grim but who knows? Maybe someone here will get in still.

:luck:

Hi these questions are for anyone that is currently living or has lived in Nashville.

What are some areas to avoid (i.e. high crime rate) when it comes to looking for an apartment?

Also are there any areas where are the areas/ apartments where many meharry or vanderbilt medical students stay?

To some of those that are waiting for an acceptance. Hope is not all lost. I am waiting for an acceptance to one of the two medical schools I am waitlisted for, one of which I am ranked on the 1st tier. Meharry is a great school and if the other schools dont call before june 24th I will be attending but I would prefer to stay closer to my family. So dont lose hope yet.

Hi these questions are for anyone that is currently living or has lived in Nashville.

What are some areas to avoid (i.e. high crime rate) when it comes to looking for an apartment?

Also are there any areas where are the areas/ apartments where many meharry or vanderbilt medical students stay?

To some of those that are waiting for an acceptance. Hope is not all lost. I am waiting for an acceptance to one of the two medical schools I am waitlisted for, one of which I am ranked on the 1st tier. Meharry is a great school and if the other schools dont call before june 24th I will be attending but I would prefer to stay closer to my family. So dont lose hope yet.

God I hope you get in and your spot goes to one of us! We are starting to lose hope it seems but this year overall the WL has been kind of slow.

Anyone hear any new news on Meharry? I think if I don't get in to Meharry or the other school I'm going to SGU.

word is...the waitlist is still moving. someone got pulled a few days ago via phone call. as long as other schools waitlist keep moving meharry will also keep moving because i am sure there are a lot of people who are in the same position as redkid who are still waiting on their #1 school.

goodluck!!

word is...the waitlist is still moving. someone got pulled a few days ago via phone call. as long as other schools waitlist keep moving meharry will also keep moving because i am sure there are a lot of people who are in the same position as redkid who are still waiting on their #1 school.

goodluck!!

You are right......Mosley told me the waitlist is moving this morning......

Did he tell you if it was the high list or middle?

This is like the golden question! Well thanks guys for calling I'm glad the WL is still moving...even at a glacial pace at least it is going.

Honestly if just 1 or 2 of us get off I would really be happy :D

Here is to next week!

goodluck!!

I think this key. As far as I now, most schools don't start until August so their WL movement goes well into June. Usually around July everything slows. So let us hope that others are getting off other WLs as well in this month.

I'm jealous. I haven't ever gotten mr mosely on the phone. I really don't think the high wait list is done with. 3 more weeks, I hope someone gets good news soon. :-(

Ok guys Ms. Davis says the waitlist is holding steady....no movement today. She said there are a few people still left from the high list. July 1st is the last day to hear something. Personally I have already registered to take courses starting June 15th at a local university. I am also probably gonna take the MCAT again. Good luck.

Good plans. I'm probably going to head to sgu.

I am also waitlisted at my state school which is my #1 choice. Their waitlist is not ranked so I don't know where I stand. Hoping to hear from them soon, so that I can know if I will be definitely attending Meharry by June 11th.

I was told students stay as close to the school as possible. There are also alot that stay in the Bellevue area, but many have complained of the drive. Being about 40 min sometimes in traffic, although Bellevue is only 15-20 min away. We have listed alot of apartments on the Facebook Group and people critiqued them there.

I am also waitlisted at my state school which is my #1 choice. Their waitlist is not ranked so I don't know where I stand. Hoping to hear from them soon, so that I can know if I will be definitely attending Meharry by June 11th.

What happens on June 11th?

Status
Not open for further replies.