2009-2010 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YAy! Just mailed in the acceptance forms. UAMS is a great school. My apologies to those who did not receive interviews. Hang in there and I am sure you will hear from other schools. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I just got an interview offer here yesterday. I'm an OOS (Texas) but I really have no ties to the state. It's just a great school and I really liked it so I applied. Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom? I'm really open to any help anyone can give me. Thanks!!

Hey guys! I just got an interview offer here yesterday. I'm an OOS (Texas) but I really have no ties to the state. It's just a great school and I really liked it so I applied. Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom? I'm really open to any help anyone can give me. Thanks!!

Getting an interview is the hardest part for OOSers. Getting an invite means you have the stats to get in, so the interview is really the only thing keeping you out. What part of Texas are you from? I grew up in Bedford (DFW area). I was accepted as an instate resident however. Remember they don't know anything about you when you go into the interview room. Therefore, they have no assumptions. You have about 30 minutes to separate yourself. My biggest piece of advice is to let them know you are interested. Whenever there is silence, ask questions about the area, school, social life, service opportunities, etc. Also, pay attention to depts of your interviews. This gives you a reference point that you can turn to if you need something to talk about. For example, I was interviewed by a microbiologist, an anesthesiologist, and a student. I made sure I mentioned something that each of them would have an interest in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help/advice. I'm getting really nervous. I'm from the Houston area and it would be really nice to go to a school thats at least near Texas. I've been on the East Coast for 5 yrs and I'm just sick of the traveling.

Hey, anyone going to this Pharaoh exhibit? anyone know whos gonna be there?

I'll be there tonight. I wonder how long it's going to be?

All I know is that we're supposed to be there around 7 pm... very short on details.

haha ok -- this is ridiculous. Anyone else hearing the blaring lounge music? I'm on the 19th floor, and I can hear the words as clear as if I was in the lobby :(

I can haz sleep?

Interesting. Well, I hope everythign went well. Don't forget to post in our shiny new interview feedback section. That goes for those of you who've interviewed on previous dates, too.

Any idea when OOS should hear back?

Edit: Scratch that, all interviewees have letters mailed informing them of their status on February 20th.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm an OOS from the class of 2013, so feel free to PM me and ask questions. Just wanted to let you know that 113 people were supposed to have interviewed on Saturday. Facts and statistics always made me feel better last year during this process. Also, in case it hasn't already been addressed, I think our class has somewhere in the mid-high twenties range of OOSers too. Hope everyone's interview went well!

The second round of early acceptances go out later on today. Good luck everybody!:xf:

The 2010 Guide for Applicants on the UAMS website has a calender of important events. It lists December 16th January 20th as dates for early acceptances to Arkansas residents to go out.

I thought the same thing. Apparently, the UAMS website is wrong. I have 3 friends that received early acceptance letters on Jan.16th....o well now gotta wait another month.

Selftaught, what were ur stats if you dont mind? I'm getting so paranoid now.

No kidding. I realize that very few early invites go out but I only applied to three schools. UAMS is my first choice and my worry is starting to get to me.

Ya, I only applied to 4 schools (rejected by one already) so I'm getting pretty anxious too. This next month will be a hard one to wait for.....

Dang, that is sweet. I saw your app definitely deserving of it. Hopefully mine will come on Feb. 20th:). I go to Fayetteville but I know a bunch of ppl from UCA.

I thought the same thing. Apparently, the UAMS website is wrong. I have 3 friends that received early acceptance letters on Jan.16th....o well now gotta wait another month.

Selftaught, what were ur stats if you dont mind? I'm getting so paranoid now.

Well my stats are nothing spectacular...32R MCAT and 3.9 gpa. I have a lot of leadership, clinical, and volunteering experiences that helped out a lot. Don't worry about the MCAT and gpa...if you have solid EC's and a good interview then you will be fine. Not many people get the early acceptances from what I hear as only two other people from my school have heard back already. Hang in there and I am sure that February will bring good news for all of you.

Well my stats are nothing spectacular...32R MCAT and 3.9 gpa. I have a lot of leadership, clinical, and volunteering experiences that helped out a lot. Don't worry about the MCAT and gpa...if you have solid EC's and a good interview then you will be fine. Not many people get the early acceptances from what I hear as only two other people from my school have heard back already. Hang in there and I am sure that February will bring good news for all of you.

Ya, my friend that got in has pretty high stats so I wasn't surprised he got in at all. From what I hear, they send 10-12 early acceptances each wave. There are two waves, so I think maybe 20-24 acceptances have been sent out. Hopefully Feb. brings all of us still waiting good news.

Selftaught: Our gpa is the same but ur MCAT is higher. Do you go to school in Arkansas? I'm going to laugh if you go to my school :laugh:

Ya, my friend that got in has pretty high stats so I wasn't surprised he got in at all. From what I hear, they send 10-12 early acceptances each wave. There are two waves, so I think maybe 20-24 acceptances have been sent out. Hopefully Feb. brings all of us still waiting good news.

Selftaught: Our gpa is the same but ur MCAT is higher. Do you go to school in Arkansas? I'm going to laugh if you go to my school :laugh:

Hendrix

Ok. Ya i go to Fayetteville, but I know a good amount of ppl that go to Hendrix.

What? You mean UAMS isn't full of Lyon students?
I guess with only 5 people applying that might be difficult.
How many apply from Fayetville? Or do any of you guys even know? I'm a little curious since our school is so small that it's rare for someone to not get in.

Hey anybody know where we might find information about the rural physician scholarship? Right now I'm thinking I want to go for EM so I figured why not get some of my school paid for if I can. EM is eligible right? Also, I would really like to know which areas of Arkansas will be eligible for me to practice.

Hey anybody know where we might find information about the rural physician scholarship? Right now I'm thinking I want to go for EM so I figured why not get some of my school paid for if I can. EM is eligible right? Also, I would really like to know which areas of Arkansas will be eligible for me to practice.

Yes, Emergency Medicine does qualify as primary care. However, I would be careful. I know that the scholarship sounds nice but you might totally change your mind once you are actually in medical school and you have decent exposure to the field. If you are definite that you want to do EM AND stay in Arkansas then yeah go for it. Also, to the best of my knowledge most cities in Arkansas qualify as rural areas except for places like Little Rock, Fort Smith, Fayetteville, etc.

What? You mean UAMS isn't full of Lyon students?
I guess with only 5 people applying that might be difficult.
How many apply from Fayetville? Or do any of you guys even know? I'm a little curious since our school is so small that it's rare for someone to not get in.

I'm a senior at Fayetteville. There were 80 some odd students applying this year total and I imagine all 80 applied to UAMS.

Yup, I go to Fayetteville and I don't know of any pre-meds that didn't apply to UAMS.

I'm really hoping for an acceptance letter! I've already been accepted to a Texas school, and I might end up going there either way because it's way cheaper (because I'm a Texas resident). I really liked UAMS though!

Yup, I go to Fayetteville and I don't know of any pre-meds that didn't apply to UAMS.

I'm really hoping for an acceptance letter! I've already been accepted to a Texas school, and I might end up going there either way because it's way cheaper (because I'm a Texas resident). I really liked UAMS though!

Go to texas man :smuggrin: You get to save money, and less competition for those of us who don't have an acceptance yet. Win win right? :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm kidding, best of luck to you.

Actually there were fewer than 80 that ended up applying to different med schools. I know of several that didnt apply to UAMS.

That is nothing but music to my ears! :laugh:

It is indeed. The email said they would send out the letters the week of the 15th! I am very nervous. I hope that means they send them out on the 15th and I'll receive mine by the 17th. G luck everyone.

So who else still doesn't have an acceptance and is really needing to hear some good news this week? I know I am.

Last edited:
Just FYI, a waitlist isn't the end of the world. UAMS typically accepts a really big chunk of the waitlisted people. That's something to think hard about when the time comes to decide whether bumping yourself to the top of the list by committing to the rural practice program is worthwhile or not.

Hey everyone, I have a question for all of the in-state UAMS applicants out there. If I understand correctly, UAMS distributes a certain percentage of it's acceptances among the four congressional districts of Arkansas. The central Arkansas congressional district is the one in which I was born have lived for all my life. However, my dad has a small hunting cabin in the southern congressional district, which is the district that produces the fewest applicants. I would think it help my chances If I were to change my primary residence to the place in south Ar.... or is this even possible? It will be a while before I have to apply, but I'm thinking it could take awhile to complete this process. Hope that made sense.

-Thanks

Just FYI, a waitlist isn't the end of the world. UAMS typically accepts a really big chunk of the waitlisted people. That's something to think hard about when the time comes to decide whether bumping yourself to the top of the list by committing to the rural practice program is worthwhile or not.

I'm pretty sure I want to go into EM, possibly family practice. So the rural physcian program doesn't sound too bad in case I do get waitlisted. However, if I sign up for that, and am later offered a slot at another school will I be still be able to go to the other school? Or will I be contractually obligated to attend UAMS?

Sucks how today is Presidents Day and the mail doesnt get sent out! I hope it comes by Wednesday.

Sucks how today is Presidents Day and the mail doesnt get sent out! I hope it comes by Wednesday.

I hate holidays that you don't get off work or school, but there's no mail.

So the e-mail said the week of the 15th. The website says the 20th. Any guesses which one is closer to being right? My money is on the 20th. Mostly bc its the more torturous, ergo more likely of the two.

Hey everyone, I have a question for all of the in-state UAMS applicants out there. If I understand correctly, UAMS distributes a certain percentage of it's acceptances among the four congressional districts of Arkansas. The central Arkansas congressional district is the one in which I was born have lived for all my life. However, my dad has a small hunting cabin in the southern congressional district, which is the district that produces the fewest applicants. I would think it help my chances If I were to change my primary residence to the place in south Ar.... or is this even possible? It will be a while before I have to apply, but I'm thinking it could take awhile to complete this process. Hope that made sense.

-Thanks

Yes, the part about the congressional districts is true. Your chances will be greater if u apply from south AR, but if they find out that you dont actually live there and are just applying from there then you can be in some trouble:). PS, PPL have been caught in the past and had to reapply the next year from their "real residence" and the committee members remembered that person hahaha. So be careful. My advice is just do well in school and study hard for MCAT and apply from Central Ar, which is where I applied from this year and hoping I get in:laugh:. (UNLESS you actually are going to live in south AR then go for it.)

If I understand correctly, UAMS distributes a certain percentage of it's acceptances among the four congressional districts of Arkansas.
Actually, I heard that my class was the last one they did that for. I have no evidence to confirm or refute that claim, and since I can't even remember who told me that, take it with a grain of salt. Just in case, I would absolutely change your place of residence to the cabin. All it takes is a change of address form and 20 minutes of your time to get to and from a post office. If I'm wrong and the district thingy is still in place, being from that southern district is a gigantic advantage. That district's acceptance rate for my class broke 70%, if I recall.

if I sign up for that, and am later offered a slot at another school will I be still be able to go to the other school? Or will I be contractually obligated to attend UAMS?
That's a good question. I would call admissions and figure that out if you get that dreaded "maybe" letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.