2009-2010 University of California - Davis (UCD) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to submit this. What's with the grade thing? Fixed?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got a response from Davis, and while it wasn't really a definitive answer, it sounds like I might be able to be accepted as long as I explain during my potential interview that I am retaking calculus in the spring and that my pre-medical advisory board kinda screwed me. They also said that I might be able to convince them that epidemiology counts, in which case calculus isn't even necessary.

Oh, and for anyone that's wondering, the units are completely unnecessary, so don't try to make your classes add up to the numbers on the secondary.

Does anyone have a problem with submitting the supplementary app? There seems to be no submit button...

So I got a response from Davis, and while it wasn't really a definitive answer, it sounds like I might be able to be accepted as long as I explain during my potential interview that I am retaking calculus in the spring and that my pre-medical advisory board kinda screwed me. They also said that I might be able to convince them that epidemiology counts, in which case calculus isn't even necessary.

Oh, and for anyone that's wondering, the units are completely unnecessary, so don't try to make your classes add up to the numbers on the secondary.

Thanks for addressing that.. I thought a year = a year no matter what.

wait, for you guys, was there "submit" button on your pre-req screen?

Omg, I accidentally hit submit instead of pressing save, and I wasn't even done entering stuff in!:scared:

What the hell is wrong with their system?:mad:

wait, for you guys, was there "submit" button on your pre-req screen?

Omg, I accidentally hit submit instead of pressing save, and I wasn't even done entering stuff in!:scared:

What the hell is wrong with their system?:mad:

if you're talkinga bout their prereq page you can still edit after submitting it i think.

i still don't see a submit button for the secondary....:( i want to turn this in!

if you're talkinga bout their prereq page you can still edit after submitting it i think.

i still don't see a submit button for the secondary....:( i want to turn this in!

me, too. Why is their system so glitchy?

they're not winning any points in the first-impression category for me, that's for sure.

(i'm sorry davis, please accept me still!)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone figure it out yet? Davis told me you have to complete all fields before some submit button pops up. But I did, and I don't see any submit button. wth?

never mind. I see it. Gonna submit in the next minute.

what did you guys put for the question about ties to the community?

what did you guys put for the question about ties to the community?
I wrote that Ive been a cali resident since day 1 and added a personal reason as to why I would love to attend med school at UCD and stay in cali. Unless you have really pressing ties to stay in the cali or to that community in norcal (not like i want to stay in cali becuase tuition is cheap and i hate snow). I think its worthwhile to put some stuff there.

Also anyone know what to do if i dont have a refernce name? One of my expereinces is impossible to get a name or address, because its not one thing its kinda an accumulation of them during a time period in my life.

Last edited:
this may sound ridiculous, but the most difficult part of this secondary is finding the "submit" button, which i still cant seem to find.....

can anyone help me out here?

this may sound ridiculous, but the most difficult part of this secondary is finding the "submit" button, which i still cant seem to find.....

can anyone help me out here?

I have the same problem here, I thought that once the fee was paid through the CME online system and that was verified, I would see a submit button, but I still can't find it. Anyone else have better luck with this?

Hmmm...Does your secondary application status show your letters of rec have been received? Mine does not and I think this is what is holding up the system for me. My LOR's have been in AMCAS since early June. I saw this on the FAQ's as well:
Q. My letters of recommendation were sent by my school through a fee for service company, USPS or e-mail. Why isn't it reflected on the applicant portal?
The Admissions Committee has requested close to 2000 secondary applications. Due to high volume, it is taking the Office of Admissions some time to process these letters. If your school has sent the letters within the 45 days given to complete the secondary materials, you have met the requirement and your application will proceed to the next step once the system has been updated. Please continue to check the applicant portal for updates and thank you for your patience.
I think this LOR's part of the application status page may need to be checked off in order to "proceed to the next step"?

Nevermind, as soon as I posted this, the submit application tab magically appeared in my application. I guess it just took a while for the system to do what it had to do.

Nevermind, as soon as I posted this, the submit application tab magically appeared in my application. I guess it just took a while for the system to do what it had to do.

where did that show up? btw, my lors have been in since june as well, but they are not accounted for by the system. but i still cant submit this damn thing.....

do we have to press the submit button on the prereq course page? I accidentally submitted when I wasn't even done entering stuff in. Or can we still edit it? The edit button still works. Damn it, I hate their system.

It's like, freaking, find Waldo or something.

where did that show up? btw, my lors have been in since june as well, but they are not accounted for by the system. but i still cant submit this damn thing.....

It showed up right between the PSTP/Rural Prime Interest tab and the Log Out tab.

After I submitted, my letters of rec is still listed as "not received" in the app status page. But I have a green check next to application submitted now. I guess they will get in there eventually.

Try logging out, log back in, click through all the tabs, save your essays again and stuff like that. That is what I was doing and suddenly I had the submit application tab show up.

Quick question for koko or anyone else that went to UCD undergrad. They want 1 yr lower div bio w/ lab. but bis 1a didnt have lab so advising said to take another bio class and lab such as NPB 101 and 101L (which is what I took). But these are upper div. What did yall take and put to satisfy this lower div requirement?

my school does a committee letter and we have no control over when they release them. does that mean that UCD will throw out my app and not wait for the letters if it comes in past the 45 day deadline?:thumbdown::)sleep::idea::scared::mad::confused:

Quick question for koko or anyone else that went to UCD undergrad. They want 1 yr lower div bio w/ lab. but bis 1a didnt have lab so advising said to take another bio class and lab such as NPB 101 and 101L (which is what I took). But these are upper div. What did yall take and put to satisfy this lower div requirement?
I just left it alone and said BIS1A-C. I did that for other schools that require us to input into grids too.

Maybe someone can e-mail advising and get a better answer?

Well if you took 1 year of lab (NPB101L) then you should be fine...just put BIS1A as bio with lab...i mean they cant expect you to work miracles with what isnt there...i think they just wanna see if u actually completed all requirements, and if they really want you then they will verify and see that you are good.

I am also in the same situation but I took another lab instead..just dont sweat and turn in a nice secondary~

Well if you took 1 year of lab (NPB101L) then you should be fine...just put BIS1A as bio with lab...i mean they cant expect you to work miracles with what isnt there...i think they just wanna see if u actually completed all requirements, and if they really want you then they will verify and see that you are good.

I am also in the same situation but I took another lab instead..just dont sweat and turn in a nice secondary~
I agree. If anyone can figure out our course series with BIS1A-C + 1 lab, it's UCD SOM.

my school does a committee letter and we have no control over when they release them. does that mean that UCD will throw out my app and not wait for the letters if it comes in past the 45 day deadline?:thumbdown::)sleep::idea::scared::mad::confused:

I'd explain the situation to the school and see what they say, hopefully before you pay the fee. :)

My school does the same...i just listed 5 classes under orgo...itsll be obvious when they look at it. Not to mention im sure UC davis understands this seeing as how they get a lot of apps from schools like UCI that do this.

Yeah I have the same issue. My school doesn't even have a year of "organic chemistry lab." I was always told my two terms of "experimental chemistry," integrated laboratory courses that emphasize organic chemistry but include all types of chemistry, would count for o-chem lab. Who knows. I'll be annoyed if any schools disagree, especially this one.

Probably. You need to make some phone calls.

Wanted to get some opinions on this...

One of my Experiences Im writing about is basically living/working in a rural farming environment for the year I was there blah blah...heres my problem. UCD asks for contact info and I cant give any, becuase its about my cumulative experiences over an entire year. Over that year i worked liked 4 different jobs. I called admissions they basically wouldnt give me a straight answer but they made it sound like UCD is huge on contacting the numbers you put on there and verifying info...you cant verify my expereince really as who are you going to contact? My old landlord to make sure i lived in IL for a year, then contact the state dept of IL to make sure I maintained employment? I mean ugh, if i put N/a...I dont want them to think that its bad (which the admissions office wouldnt tell me but imo they made it sound like it was kinda iffy)...but on the same token I like using this experience as i am interested in possibly rural medicine and this is the reason as to why....

Any thoughts?

One of my Experiences Im writing about is basically living/working in a rural farming environment for the year I was there blah blah...heres my problem. UCD asks for contact info and I cant give any, becuase its about my cumulative experiences over an entire year. Over that year i worked liked 4 different jobs. I called admissions they basically wouldnt give me a straight answer but they made it sound like UCD is huge on contacting the numbers you put on there and verifying info...you cant verify my expereince really as who are you going to contact? My old landlord to make sure i lived in IL for a year, then contact the state dept of IL to make sure I maintained employment? I mean ugh, if i put N/a...I dont want them to think that its bad (which the admissions office wouldnt tell me but imo they made it sound like it was kinda iffy)...but on the same token I like using this experience as i am interested in possibly rural medicine and this is the reason as to why....

Any thoughts?
Just put it down. I'm sure they can understand the lack of contact info from your description. Even if they don't believe you, your interview should clear the matter up and there shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts?

Try to make contact with one of the employers and then use that person. Also, I wouldn't advertise the 4 jobs in one year thing (unless you have some great explanation), it shows a lack of committment.

Try to make contact with one of the employers and then use that person. Also, I wouldn't advertise the 4 jobs in one year thing (unless you have some great explanation), it shows a lack of committment.

Last edited:
Well, I just submitted this one. Still says they don't have my letters or fee, but I guess they'll update it when they update it.

Man I just got cracking on this secondary and this 500 character limit IS brutal. I now feel all of your pain. All of my ideas feel so incomplete.

Man I just got cracking on this secondary and this 500 character limit IS brutal. I now feel all of your pain. All of my ideas feel so incomplete.
ahha yah dude. Its a good lesson in being concise i suppose. Actually i love how UCLA and UCD do that in some ways...if it was like limit of 2k characters...id be hating myself right now :p

how come the prompt isn't up on this thread yet? =P

Use the search function bro.
Part 1:

1. How do you envision your life as a physician? 500 characters.

2. What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that prepare you for a medical career? 500 characters.

3. How will you contribute to and enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community? 500 characters.

4. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? (E.g. ties to UC Davis, the local communities, or the State of California) 500 characters.

Part 2:

At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine.

Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc). 750 characters each.

complete here too!

Reading through this thread there doesn't seem to be a final decision on the units issue. For instance, I took calc 2 and 3 in college which adds up to 9 semester credits, but we need 10 units. Do i need to convert it to quarter units or leave it as credits?

Plus for all of the questions about how they choose who to send secondaries to, my application was finally processed yesterday at 5:16pm and I received an email for my secondary early this morning. I'm going to assume its a quick process that does not involve any in depth look at PS or ECs.

they mean quarter units. fine print says something along the lines of....units are just guidelines...or something like that. go on the website and figure out how many years you need of each.

yup. i emailed them and this was their reply:

"The number of units listed is in quarter units and should be used as a guide only as opposed as the required number of units for each prerequisite."

i still don't really get the wording but ok. i'm guessing that as long as we've done the pre-med science sequence it's all good in the hood. :thumbup:

I took 2 years of math, and didn't do too well in one of the classes. For the prerequisite page are we supposed to put ALL classes within one field -- do I have to put all my classes or just enough to fulfill the requirement? I took first year math I and II, second year math and statistics...

I took 2 years of math, and didn't do too well in one of the classes. For the prerequisite page are we supposed to put ALL classes within one field -- do I have to put all my classes or just enough to fulfill the requirement? I took first year math I and II, second year math and statistics...

Same thing happened for me. I just put the two courses I did the best in. I think they just want to see that you fulfilled the requirement.

Same thing happened for me. I just put the two courses I did the best in. I think they just want to see that you fulfilled the requirement.

Nice, okay, I'll put the 2 most recent. And my semester/quarter thing is a mess so we'll see how that goes...

Hey everyone!

I am starting at UCD in a couple weeks (so I'm not that familiar with the school yet) but just wanted to give you guys a little info from last year's app process.

Here are some numbers from the 2008-2009 app season:
- about 4700 applications
- 2600 secondary applications
- interview 400 - 500 people
- 200 - 250 offers of admission to fill a total class of around 105.

They actually cut that number down to 93 or something close to that and it seemed that the wait list didn't move as much as in the past. 12 of the spots are for the RURAL Prime students.

As for the prereqs, I would go by completing one year of chem, ochem, etc. btw, quarter units = semester units x 1.5 (15 quarter units are 10 semester units)

A few applicants did not complete their English requirement and were out of luck. Make sure you have a year of English (or classics/comparative lit) and make sure to complete the upper division biology semester. You do have to have these done by Jan. 1st. Since most semesters haven't started yet, you can probably still sign up to take any missed classes.

If you have any questions about your particular situation, I would call or send Ed Dagang an email.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there... it's a tortuous waiting game :)

Hey everyone!

I am starting at UCD in a couple weeks (so I'm not that familiar with the school yet) but just wanted to give you guys a little info from last year's app process.

Here are some numbers from the 2008-2009 app season:
- about 4700 applications
- 2600 secondary applications

- interview 400 - 500 people
- 200 - 250 offers of admission to fill a total class of around 105.

They actually cut that number down to 93 or something close to that and it seemed that the wait list didn't move as much as in the past. 12 of the spots are for the RURAL Prime students.

As for the prereqs, I would go by completing one year of chem, ochem, etc. btw, quarter units = semester units x 1.5 (15 quarter units are 10 semester units)

A few applicants did not complete their English requirement and were out of luck. Make sure you have a year of English (or classics/comparative lit) and make sure to complete the upper division biology semester. You do have to have these done by Jan. 1st. Since most semesters haven't started yet, you can probably still sign up to take any missed classes.

If you have any questions about your particular situation, I would call or send Ed Dagang an email.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there... it's a tortuous waiting game :)

Ouch, that's less screening than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.