2009-2010 University of Illinois (UIC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. It's really closer to $280k for OOS (60k for M1 and M4, 80k for M2 and M3).

If you are of African-American, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, or Native American descent (basically everyone except caucasians, middle easterners/East Indians, and Asians), you can enroll in the Urban Medicine Program and pay in-state tuition even if you're out of state.

I'm 1/4 Native American and I claimed Native American and white on my application... then I got told to apply to this program and now I pay in-state tuition. That obviously wasn't my intention from the get go... just a happy coincidence. =P

They have the Urban Medicine program at other campuses? I thought it was only in Chicago...

Members don't see this ad.

If you are of African-American, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, or Native American descent (basically everyone except caucasians, middle easterners/East Indians, and Asians), you can enroll in the Urban Medicine Program and pay in-state tuition even if you're out of state.

I'm 1/4 Native American and I claimed Native American and white on my application... then I got told to apply to this program and now I pay in-state tuition. That obviously wasn't my intention from the get go... just a happy coincidence. =P
FWIW, cost of attendance for UIC in Chicago (non-resident) is $92,000/yr.:

92,000 * 4 = $368,000 (w/o interest applied) :eek:

Cost of tuition without fees, or anything else:

68,420 * 4 = around $273,000

http://www.medicine.uic.edu/finaid/cost/COA/

So Kai, you're right in terms of tuition, which is what Eventually refers to, but then he says "what OOSers end up paying after four years??" That number IS closer to cost of attendance, which, with interest, could very realistically be $400,000.

FWIW, cost of attendance for UIC in Chicago (non-resident) is $92,000/yr.:

92,000 * 4 = $368,000 (w/o interest applied) :eek:

Cost of tuition without fees, or anything else:

68,420 * 4 = around $273,000

http://www.medicine.uic.edu/finaid/cost/COA/

So Kai, you're right in terms of tuition, which is what Eventually refers to, but then he says "what OOSers end up paying after four years??" That number IS closer to cost of attendance, which, with interest, could very realistically be $400,000.

No it'd be higher than $400,000, you forgot the extra tuition in M2 and M3 because of mandatory summers. So for an OOS, M1 & M4 = $92,000 and M2 & M3 = $122,000 so just the total is $428K!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No it'd be higher than $400,000, you forgot the extra tuition in M2 and M3 because of mandatory summers. So for an OOS, M1 & M4 = $92,000 and M2 & M3 = $122,000 so just the total is $428K!!

Yep thats what I figured. UMed deadline was March 15 and I didn't even know about it!

There has to be some way OOS people attend UIC without banking on winning the lottery!

OOS CoA for chicago campus as stated on their website is: $432K and this is not accounting the 7-10% increase in tuition that is about to happen.

Glad that issue is now officially taken care of lol

OOS CoA for chicago campus as stated on their website is: $432K and this is not accounting the 7-10% increase in tuition that is about to happen.

Ok so I'm in-state but I'm too worried about the tuition increase. Is it final that they're going to have a tuition increase and more importantly, are we going to have to face with tuition increases each and every year or are these only valid for incoming students so I mean if we had been M2s there right now, would the tuition increases be applicable to us? Because if so, considering the nearly bankrupt situation of state of illinois, we even in-staters would be looking at paying close to $300K with these tuition increases and OOS would easily go over half a million dollars.

p.s. OOS CoA doesn't include the cost of staying in chicago during M1 summer for say research with faculty that a lot of med students do.

Ok so I'm in-state but I'm too worried about the tuition increase. Is it final that they're going to have a tuition increase and more importantly, are we going to have to face with tuition increases each and every year or are these only valid for incoming students so I mean if we had been M2s there right now, would the tuition increases be applicable to us? Because if so, considering the nearly bankrupt situation of state of illinois, we even in-staters would be looking at paying close to $300K with these tuition increases and OOS would easily go over half a million dollars.

p.s. OOS CoA doesn't include the cost of staying in chicago during M1 summer for say research with faculty that a lot of med students do.

From what I hear the tuition increase will certainly happen (unless our bankrupt state finds a way to support its school better which is unlikely to happen anytime soon) but no one is sure what the increase will be. I talked to someone about this during second look and they said the increase is expected to around 7-10%. But we will have wait until the summer (when the UIC board of directors meet) to find out for sure.

From what I hear the tuition increase will certainly happen (unless our bankrupt state finds a way to support its school better which is unlikely to happen anytime soon) but no one is sure what the increase will be. I talked to someone about this during second look and they said the increase is expected to around 7-10%. But we will have wait until the summer (when the UIC board of directors meet) to find out for sure.

I have heard 9-9.5% is most likely. In addition, I would anticipate tuition increases for the foreseeable future.

Just to clarify - Urban MEDICINE (UMED) is different than Urban HEALTH (UHP).

UMed is for any students who apply who want to by physician leaders in urban communities. UHP is for minority students. You do not get an OOS tuition waiver for UMed.

I really want to know this too. Anyone know?

UMed is for any students who apply who want to by physician leaders in urban communities. UHP is for minority students. You do not get an OOS tuition waiver for UMed.

Thanks for that clarification!

hey, newish at this... whats the deal with the May 15th deadline and what does it mean for the "hold" all star team? They going to possibly give us a few answers?

Thanks for any help and congratulations for all of you that are in

Members don't see this ad :)

I really want to know this too. Anyone know?

Unlike the undergrad U of I system, you don't lock in tuition rates for professional school. As such, all classes are susceptible to tuition increases each year.

Heh.. that shows about how involved in that program I am. I'm pretty much just in it for the tuition break.

Crucify me.

:sleep:

does anyone know when the deadline is to accept the financial aid package?

i went on the financial aid website (http://www.uic.edu/depts/financialaid/calendar.shtml) and there are a few deadline dates to accept the award/sign promissory notes. i'm a little confused about the timing of all this -- the website, for example, says that today is the last day to accept an award/sign a promissory note for the spring 2010 semester, but that doesn't apply to new students like us, right...? we want to accept the award by december 5?

i just want to make sure that none of us will accidentally miss a deadline (the finaid site is also down for maintenance right now).

Hi guys,

I am a bit confused on my status...I interviewed on 11/12/2009. I received a "rejection" letter with an application to the UHP-Post bacc program in late Feb. The deadline to the app was march 29th. I mailed everything before that and checked with the office to ensure that everything was in. Later I received a letter through SNAIL mail that was dated march 29th, telling me that after further consideration UIC-COM could not offer be acceptance, but there was NO mention of the post-bacc or UHP office. Also, on my online status it said that a final decision was made on my application 03-29-10.

According to this:
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/uhp/programs/pap.htm

post-bacc students are selected in may and the program starts in June. Can anyone tell me what they know about this program? I am also nervous that I didn't even get into this program and still have my hopes up. From reading my situation, what do you think. I would appreciate anything! Thank you all!

Hi guys,

I am a bit confused on my status...I interviewed on 11/12/2009. I received a "rejection" letter with an application to the UHP-Post bacc program in late Feb. The deadline to the app was march 29th. I mailed everything before that and checked with the office to ensure that everything was in. Later I received a letter through SNAIL mail that was dated march 29th, telling me that after further consideration UIC-COM could not offer be acceptance, but there was NO mention of the post-bacc or UHP office. Also, on my online status it said that a final decision was made on my application 03-29-10.

According to this:
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/uhp/programs/pap.htm

post-bacc students are selected in may and the program starts in June. Can anyone tell me what they know about this program? I am also nervous that I didn't even get into this program and still have my hopes up. From reading my situation, what do you think. I would appreciate anything! Thank you all!

That's weird that it seems like they sent you two rejection letters without mentioning in the second if the decision was regarding the post bac. If I were you I would contact someone at the UHP office to double check. Try contacting Ken Morgan...

It sounds like maybe they didn't update your status/file the first time they sent you correspondence asking you to apply for the program and later updated it to final decision on the 29th resulting in an additional rejection letter (I'm hoping :xf:). Otherwise they just sent you the generic rejection letter they send to all candidates for general admissions in reference to the post bac. I hope that's not the case.

How soon before the deadline did you send your information in for the program?

are they freakin' insane?! What the fudge, part of the reason I liked the idea of UIC so much was that they were going to be one of the cheaper schools, IS and all.....now looks like they'll turn out to be one of the most expensive, by far! over $70K/yr M2 and beyond? I don't know how people can afford this....the country's screwed for money, it's short on doctors, they raised insurance so MORE people can see doctors......and their solution is to hike med school tuition astronomically so LESS people want to/can afford to become physicians? please, someone tell me the logic to this?

Our country is run by a bunch of *****s....I'm sorry, it's just aggravating, I hope I didn't offend anyone...

Last edited:
are they freakin' insane?! What the fudge, part of the reason I liked the idea of UIC so much was that they were going to be one of the cheaper schools, IS and all.....now looks like they'll turn out to be one of the most expensive, by far! over $70K/yr M2 and beyond? I don't know how people can afford this....the country's screwed for money, it's short on doctors, they raised insurance so MORE people can see doctors......and their solution is to hike med school tuition astronomically? please, someone tell me the logic to this?

Our country is run by a bunch of *****s....I'm sorry, it's just aggravating, I hope I didn't offend anyone...

:thumbup:
none taken

M2 and beyond is so high because its year round. You guys! We're in med school! Don't trip on the $ because you simply need something new to trip about b/c you're in! For all my fellow primary care ppl, almost all states have great programs to repay student debt following residency.

M2 and beyond is so high because its year round. You guys! We're in med school! Don't trip on the $ because you simply need something new to trip about b/c you're in! For all my fellow primary care ppl, almost all states have great programs to repay student debt following residency.

I'm grateful to be in...but when my best friend in Texas is looking at like 8k a year in tuition to attend her state school it's hard to not be at least a little frustrated. Not to mention it's cheaper to attend SIU. Most of the schools that I applied to don't add on additional tuition for M2 and M3 either...they just include more for obvious living expenses. I :love: Illinois...but you have to admit the COA is kind of crazy for a state school.

I'm grateful to be in...but when my best friend in Texas is looking at like 8k a year in tuition to attend her state school it's hard to not be at least a little frustrated. Not to mention it's cheaper to attend SIU. Most of the schools that I applied to don't add on additional tuition for M2 and M3 either...they just include more for obvious living expenses. I :love: Illinois...but you have to admit the COA is kind of crazy for a state school.

seriously, I'm elated to be accepted to med school (even if it is in rural Illinois...::sigh::), heh, no really I truly am though! But here's the thing, compare this public state school to, say, Rosalind Franklin up the road. Sure, the first years at RFU is an extra 12K or so, and goes up M2 just a few......but then it goes down, interestingly enough, to around 63K, weird huh.....case-in-point, private school being cheaper than a public state school for an IS student is ridiculous. our country really does need to do something about the cost of medicine from both ends, because we're already cruising down a slippery slope, and it' gonna get messy in not too long. just sayin'

Just wondering how the Medical District apartments on ashland are? The website makes it seem like a pretty awesome place but the reviews on the internet were terrible. Is it worth the price or can you find a better place for less near campus and if so, where? Thanks.

does anyone know if the committee is going to meet anymore before may 15th? Or if we haven't heard by now should we just assume waitlist?? :confused:The admissions office doesnt seem to know anything :(

That's weird that it seems like they sent you two rejection letters without mentioning in the second if the decision was regarding the post bac. If I were you I would contact someone at the UHP office to double check. Try contacting Ken Morgan...I

It sounds like maybe they didn't update your status/file the first time they sent you correspondence asking you to apply for the program and later updated it to final decision on the 29th resulting in an additional rejection letter (I'm hoping :xf:). Otherwise they just sent you the generic rejection letter they send to all candidates for general admissions in reference to the post bac. I hope that's not the case.

How soon before the deadline did you send your information in for the program?

Thank you so much for your good wishes and quick response. My stuff was all in by the 26th--well my transcripts took a bit longer but I had talked to Mr. Kenneth Morgan about it and he said it was all right.

You were right, I think that my first status was not updated. I talked to Mr. Morgan today and was told that I am still under consideration! :)
I am really hoping this works out because UIC has always been my top choice; I am not an Illinois resident, but I want to live there (Chicago, preferably). Do you (mybubbles14) or anyone else knows what tuition is like for the post-bacc program? I will pay whatever is needed if I get in, but I would like to have a general idea. Thank you to all who read and consider this.

So does UIC send us more information after we've gotten our site placement? I feel like they haven't given a single "here's-what's-next" notice.

I've noticed people on here have already started setting up their online accounts. Are we expected to do this on our own, or will they at some point mail us the information to get started?

For example, they still haven't mailed me my University ID # for my immunization form - I had to search for it online. Is this normal, is anyone else experiencing this? I realize big state schools have slow administrations, but I just feel like non-SDNers would be getting no guidance whatsoever.

does anyone know if the committee is going to meet anymore before may 15th? Or if we haven't heard by now should we just assume waitlist?? :confused:The admissions office doesnt seem to know anything :(

Are you still at decision pending after interview? I am...

Did you receive a still on hold email?

I believe that they have been meeting every 3rd Thursday which seems to be after May 15th. But maybe things will be different because there were no new interviews and I assume there will be movement on the 15th.

Best of luck to both of us:luck:

Are you still at decision pending after interview? I am...

Did you receive a still on hold email?

I believe that they have been meeting every 3rd Thursday which seems to be after May 15th. But maybe things will be different because there were no new interviews and I assume there will be movement on the 15th.

Best of luck to both of us:luck:

yea good luck you guys! I'm totally sure that this month is an exceptional month, regardless of the "3rd Thursday" rule that applies to every month before this. They'll hear a lot of chatter on their ends and we'll hear more on ours before and after the 15th...:xf::xf: for you!

Well, I sent in my petition today. I have legit medically related family responsibilities for petitioning for chicago campus. part of me is hopeful, but im pretty realistic about things now.

Placed in Urbana-Rockford, and seconding the question about when/how do we get our ID numbers and email accounts and all that jazz. Also, my packet says transcripts must be received by June 15'th... my finals week is the week of June 7'th and I don't think final grades will even be posted until after the 15'th. Anyone know how others have dealt with this in the past, or should I just call the admissions office? Or maybe I can just ask my profs to give me the benefit of the doubt and give me A's now so I can submit transcripts early. :idea:

Well, I sent in my petition today. I have legit medically related family responsibilities for petitioning for chicago campus. part of me is hopeful, but im pretty realistic about things now.

Did you send your petition via e-mail or snail mail?! Could you give me the e-mail or the address you sent it to?!

Thanks!!!!

I need to send my petition in as well. Good luck with yours! :xf:

Okay guys,

So you're all gonna laugh at me, but I'm new on here and I was wondering how everyone is checking their admission status? I interviewed at Rockford on the 31st of March and I haven't recieved a reply yet....how do I check my admission status online?

Thanks!

Okay guys,

So you're all gonna laugh at me, but I'm new on here and I was wondering how everyone is checking their admission status? I interviewed at Rockford on the 31st of March and I haven't recieved a reply yet....how do I check my admission status online?

Thanks!

desiguy - Sift through the last few pages (use Ctrl+F and search for a URL to speed things up). There's a website they have to check your status. Sorry, I'd give it myself, but I'm on my other computer and don't have it bookmarked on this one. But I know a few people have posted it multiple times before.

EDIT: Found it - https://s443-messieruic-comd-uic-edu.proxauto.comd.uic.edu/appstat/

Also, after a decision was made, how long did it take to get the email/mail with your acceptances and rejections? Any posts would be appreciated :)

desiguy - I received my packet in the mail a full week after my status changed, no acceptance email.

For those in Urbana for the 1st year - what resources are you guys using to find apartments? U of I's website has resources for on-campus housing, but anyone have any sites for private apartments?

desiguy - I received my packet in the mail a full week after my status changed, no acceptance email.

For those in Urbana for the 1st year - what resources are you guys using to find apartments? U of I's website has resources for on-campus housing, but anyone have any sites for private apartments?

http://www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu/

They say that they will help set up stuff for you. I'm going to send them an e-mail when I hear back from my petition.

Hey guys!

I just sent in my immunization forms this morning (kinda late, I know), and I was wondering if any of you knew how long I should expect to wait before my online status changes (telling me that they received all of my pre-mat stuff). If anyone has info for me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks a bunch! :)

Hey guys!

I just sent in my immunization forms this morning (kinda late, I know), and I was wondering if any of you knew how long I should expect to wait before my online status changes (telling me that they received all of my pre-mat stuff). If anyone has info for me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks a bunch! :)

Dude why would this be considered late when the deadline to return the forms are June 15th? I'm currently out of town and won't even be back in country until June 7th to even look at the forms.

Now I'm really worried that I'd be late.. ! :mad:

Dude why would this be considered late when the deadline to return the forms are June 15th? I'm currently out of town and won't even be back in country until June 7th to even look at the forms.

Now I'm really worried that I'd be late.. ! :mad:

ohmigosh ohmigosh ohmigosh I am SO sorry!!!! I did not mean to make it sound as though it were literally late ... just late relative to when I got accepted. It was last minute for me considering I got accepted back in October. Please please PLEASE do not worry!!!!!! You are totally fine!!! In fact, I believe that one of my friends last year sent her stuff in at the end of July. :laugh: You're totally totally fine. I promise!!! :) (But bear in mind, the two step TB test takes about two weeks to complete ...).

Just withdraw my acceptance from here (although they probably will not remove my name until Monday as the admissions office is closed today). It's is kind of sad to withdraw from my state school. But given the high CoA and no financial aid whatsoever and scholarship offers from couple other schools, as hard as it is, I have to say adios UIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.