2009-2010 University of Illinois (UIC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent in my petition at the end of the first week of May, and I received a call this morning, so not even two weeks for me. Unfortunately, I missed the call and have to call back tomorrow morning to find out what the decision was :laugh:.

May I ask your reason for the petition? and were you holding any other acceptances yesterday?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my petition at the end of the first week of May, and I received a call this morning, so not even two weeks for me. Unfortunately, I missed the call and have to call back tomorrow morning to find out what the decision was :laugh:.

Seems like I'd be at somewhat of a disadvantage as I'm going to remain out of country for quite some time. So what I'm wondering is what if they keep trying to call me (that is if my petition does get granted) and no one picks up??!

Seems like I'd be at somewhat of a disadvantage as I'm going to remain out of country for quite some time. So what I'm wondering is what if they keep trying to call me (that is if my petition does get granted) and no one picks up??!

Honestly I think if they keep calling and you don't pick up they might just move on to another petition. The reason for that might be that they are trying to fill the class asap. I also got that impression when I was talking on the phone with the person that let me know about my petition. She wanted to MAKE SURE that I was going to UIC. She asked me several times that if I was holding out on any other school that I needed to let them know and cc her in the e-mail to them.

Anyways, what I would recommend is that you find a way to call the office of admissions and ask her to put in your file to e-mail you instead of calling. Like that you would have more control over the situation. Of course this is just my opinion though.

Good luck!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I think if they keep calling and you don't pick up they might just move on to another petition. The reason for that might be that they are trying to fill the class asap. I also got that impression when I was talking on the phone with the person that let me know about my petition. She wanted to MAKE SURE that I was going to UIC. She asked me several times that if I was holding out on any other school that I needed to let them know and cc her in the e-mail to them.

Anyways, what I would recommend is that you find a way to call the office of admissions and ask her to put in your file to e-mail you instead of calling. Like that you would have more control over the situation. Of course this is just my opinion though.

Wow, thanks for the info. That puts my mind at slightly more at ease...because I'm holding another acceptance but I'm holding out for UIC..

That's great info pri84. Based on your advice, I just emailed them requesting a temporary email correspondence. Thanks again! :love:

My petition to Chicago was accepted! I was excited about Urbana/Peoria, but I'm more excited about the clinical opportunities at Chicago.

May I ask your reason for the petition? and were you holding any other acceptances yesterday?

I wrote that I was interested in becoming an academic physician at a large, metropolitan hospital and that I was interested in clinical research. I specifically told them that I had no family or medical reason to be transferred from Peoria to Chicago. My letter was two short paragraphs, here's a representative highlight:

" My desire for a transfer does not stem from personal reasons or the perceived prestige of one site over another, but rather for academic reasons. The opportunity for research is one of the main reasons I was drawn to the UIC-COM, and I intended to apply for the MD/MS in Clinical and Translation Science Degree Program. My eventual career goal is to become a clinical researcher at a major metropolitan academic medical complex, and I believe that the Chicago site in uniquely qualified to prepare me for this future."

My petition to Chicago was accepted! I was excited about Urbana/Peoria, but I'm more excited about the clinical opportunities at Chicago.

I wrote that I was interested in becoming an academic physician at a large, metropolitan hospital and that I was interested in clinical research. I specifically told them that I had no family or medical reason to be transferred from Peoria to Chicago. My letter was two short paragraphs, here's a representative highlight:

" My desire for a transfer does not stem from personal reasons or the perceived prestige of one site over another, but rather for academic reasons. The opportunity for research is one of the main reasons I was drawn to the UIC-COM, and I intended to apply for the MD/MS in Clinical and Translation Science Degree Program. My eventual career goal is to become a clinical researcher at a major metropolitan academic medical complex, and I believe that the Chicago site in uniquely qualified to prepare me for this future."

Congrats! May I ask how (US Mail or email) and to whom you submitted your petition?

Congrats! May I ask how (US Mail or email) and to whom you submitted your petition?

US Mail. I sent it to the admissions office, and I addressed the letter "To Whom It May Concern". I didn't address it to anyone in particular.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/uiccomdeansletter/

Check out the comments on the signatures pages 1 through 5.

Whether or not the employee in question should have been let go, what is concerning is the consistency and tone of the comments from current and former students.

Do any current students or others have any thoughts on the sentiments echoed...?

<--This definitely scared me when I read it. I honestly felt like everyone had thier own agenda when I went there. Everyone was so busy... I kind of felt like I was a number, instead of a person (if that makes any sense). But then again, I'm coming from an HBCU which is known for having that "familial feel". I didn't know what to think of it but maybe all of that will change when classes start and I start to get to know the faculty.

Do you guys think that U Illinois College of Medicine students are at a disadvantage with a traditional medical curriculum when so many other schools have made changes to the way they educate future doctors?

Thats something thats been on my mind too..

I addressed my petition to Dr. Girotti. Well, I actually met him personally during my interview day so when I wrote him I was more like explaining my situation and asking him for advice more than anything. He then replied (very fast, like one hour later) saying that he would consider my e-mail to him as my official petition (not the official petition that I had attached to the e-mail). My petition was granted 2 days later... yey! :D

Good luck to you!

and thanks for all the good wishes you guys have sent me! I really hope to get to meet some of you soon.

Is anyone here attending the Chicago SPP?

I'll be in the Chicago SPP. I just filled out the paperwork and faxed it over today :) It was optional and I chose to do it because thought it would be a great way to meet some classmates, instructors and get accustomed to the environment. See you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be in the Chicago SPP. I just filled out the paperwork and faxed it over today :) It was optional and I chose to do it because thought it would be a great way to meet some classmates, instructors and get accustomed to the environment. See you there!

Is this program by invitation only? I would like to participate in this program, if possible.

Cool... thanks for the reply MookDzi. Are you subletting a room or are you staying in the dorms? I am trying to figure that out right now and it's taking much longer than I anticipated!!!

Any M1's Chicago bound looking for a roomate? PM me. Thanks! I'm a female and currently apartment shopping :D.

Is this program by invitation only? I would like to participate in this program, if possible.

I think the one in Chicago is by invitation only...at least that's what the flyer said that they sent about it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the one in Urbana requires invitation.

Is anyone doing SPP in Urbana? I'm gearing up for the move now!

so what time do you guys usually see status changes?? Cuz I heard the committee has one last meeting and today is the 3rd thursday....

Who knows...wish I knew cause my time is running out..

lol what u mean? The deadline to withdraw was past few days.. at most you're gonna lose a deposit if you're still holding multiple acceptances... unless that other school has set some sort of its own deadline for you to choose b/w them and UIC..!? :rolleyes:

Hey guys,

does anyone here know the what the class schedule will be like during M1? or even the school calendar? I need to find out when classes start, when orientation and white coat ceremony are... things like that?

I still haven't received anything from the school in this regard, if anyone can please help!!!!

Hey guys,

does anyone here know the what the class schedule will be like during M1? or even the school calendar? I need to find out when classes start, when orientation and white coat ceremony are... things like that?

I still haven't received anything from the school in this regard, if anyone can please help!!!!

Monday, August 16 is the first day of classes:
http://chicago.medicine.uic.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=506244&pageId=715502

If the schedule is anything like last year, there are brief little orientation sessions sprinkled throughout the first week of classes, so you pretty much hit the ground running.

When I spoke to Linda Singleton on the phone the other day, she told me that the info packet for Chicago would be sent out within the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone here called the office to ask about site change petition statuses?

Has anyone here called the office to ask about site change petition statuses?

I actually was speaking with Dr. Girotti this morning for another reason and he told me that my petition was granted to switch to Chicago.
Can anyone else whose petition has been granted tell me, essentially, how they received confirmation of their switch (besides a phone call)?

so what time do you guys usually see status changes?? Cuz I heard the committee has one last meeting and today is the 3rd thursday....

i'm waiting anxiously here as well. The only problem with this status change though is that I believe it will be not a guaranteed acceptance but rather any one of acceptance, rejection or waitlist. It'll be nice to at least see something other than decision pending for me.... if it does in fact happen soon

Anyways, good luck michigan!

I actually was speaking with Dr. Girotti this morning for another reason and he told me that my petition was granted to switch to Chicago.
Can anyone else whose petition has been granted tell me, essentially, how they received confirmation of their switch (besides a phone call)?

Do you mind sharing the reason for your petition?

Do you mind sharing the reason for your petition?

Sure! They were pretty much the exact same reasons as VisionaryTic's, i.e. no family or personal reasons, but only an intent to practice medicine in an urban area. I also applied to the UMed program, since I want to work with community organizations and underserved patients. These reasons kind of carried over into my reasons for my petition.

Sure! They were pretty much the exact same reasons as VisionaryTic's, i.e. no family or personal reasons, but only an intent to practice medicine in an urban area. I also applied to the UMed program, since I want to work with community organizations and underserved patients. These reasons kind of carried over into my reasons for my petition.

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate the insight. My reasons for petition were family/medical responsibilities.

Decision Pending!!!

Since December!!!

Anyone have a change today, historically its been a third thursday of the month deal and today is the third thursday of the month.

I dont know how much longer my decision can stay pending

Decision Pending!!!

Since December!!!

Anyone have a change today, historically its been a third thursday of the month deal and today is the third thursday of the month.

I dont know how much longer my decision can stay pending

My status was updated on a Friday afternoon. Perhaps you'll have a status change tomorrow.

Last edited:
Really? I have been following this thread for a while it seems everyone changes were on thursdays, but maybe not?

Sorry that my post sounded so whiny, I figure if Im going to whine about the situation an anonymous forum is a good place.

Just wondering if anyone got a change today.

congratulations to those who got their chicago petitions granted! :D i can't wait to meet all of you in august.

so, show of hands, who is doing UMed with me?

hi sweetpea, i finally accepted my offer for UMed this morning

nice to meet you! (kinda...HA)

Could we apply to the UMed Program during our first year as students at the Chicago campus?

Could we apply to the UMed Program during our first year as students at the Chicago campus?

nope, you had to apply and interview for it after being accepted. it was a one time deal.

lol what u mean? The deadline to withdraw was past few days.. at most you're gonna lose a deposit if you're still holding multiple acceptances... unless that other school has set some sort of its own deadline for you to choose b/w them and UIC..!? :rolleyes:

That's exactly what happenining lol.

I'm doing UMed as well! It should be pretty cool. Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

I wasn't accepted until April -- I interviewed in March. I never even had a chance to apply. :(

You could apply to the UMED program before being accepted. I believe they accepted applications until February or March. I wasn't able to make the first interview during 2nd look day. They are holding alternate interviews tomorrow, which I'll be attending. :scared:

You could apply to the UMED program before being accepted. I believe they accepted applications until February or March. I wasn't able to make the first interview during 2nd look day. They are holding alternate interviews tomorrow, which I'll be attending. :scared:

Good luck.

I didn't even know that the program existed before interviews. I feel stupid...

Yes, I'm subletting from a med student, at the Pointe Apartments Have you found a place yet?

Nice! I'm subletting too but I'm gonna be staying at Capstone Quarters. Did you already signed all the papers and have everything ready? I was trying to avoid going down there again until the weekend before we start classes but I guess that's not gonna happen since I have to pick up the apartment keys

Nice! I'm subletting too but I'm gonna be staying at Capstone Quarters. Did you already signed all the papers and have everything ready? I was trying to avoid going down there again until the weekend before we start classes but I guess that's not gonna happen since I have to pick up the apartment keys
I quasi having everything ready. I'm supposed to meet up with the person when I get there to get the keys. Where are you coming from? I'm from Cali (San Francisco)

Status
Not open for further replies.