You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well, I guess I'm out...
bummer.
did you receive a rejection pre-interview? email?
did you receive a rejection pre-interview? email?
received no word.
On page 21 it was said that interviews were being given for april. They cant really be interviewing in may. I simply figured that they're giving invitations in batches up until the end of this month--today being the last thursday of the month, and that whoever received one, is probably among the last, if not the last group.
since i didnt receive one today, its probably curtains... *shrugs*
It looks like the nearest subway stop connecting Bronx and Manhattan is the 5 train on Pelham Pkwy, about a mile from AECOM. How easy is it to walk there, and what are the neighborhoods like between the two (sketchy? safe?). Anyone know?
It looks like the nearest subway stop connecting Bronx and Manhattan is the 5 train on Pelham Pkwy, about a mile from AECOM. How easy is it to walk there, and what are the neighborhoods like between the two (sketchy? safe?). Anyone know?
The neighborhood's not bad, but a mile's far. I don't know how much longer it would take you but there's a bus that stops right in front of the building you interview at. That's what I took back to manhattan afterwards. It's like the Bxm10 I think : http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm10cur.pdf
Or call the admissions office to ask which bus or which stop it is. They're really nice about giving directions. Goodluck!
It looks like the nearest subway stop connecting Bronx and Manhattan is the 5 train on Pelham Pkwy, about a mile from AECOM. How easy is it to walk there, and what are the neighborhoods like between the two (sketchy? safe?). Anyone know?
From the 5 stop, take the 21 bus and it'll drop you directly in front of the admissions building (belfer) or you can take the 6 train which is closer and walk from there or take a bus. Both are very safe during the day time but the weather in ny is sometimes less then ideal for walking. A cab would only be like 5 dollars too from the train stop.
Seeing as the last Thursday in February has passed, and I haven't heard a thing (since preliminary screening completed when the status page was still up), there's a good chance that I will be rejected.
If they do send out any more invites, I would very much like one.
If they do send out any more invites, I would very much like one.
Thanks for all the responses. I've already interviewed (used the bus), but I was just trying to ge a sense of how convenient it is to get into Manhattan with the subway. Sounds like, given good weather, it's pretty easy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
they dont email rejections?
Does anyone know what the future will be for Einstein's relationship with North Shore-Long Island Jewish Medical Center, now that Hofstra is opening its medical school (which will be affiliated with NS-LIJ)?
Was just at NS-LIJ and heard straight from an admin that LIJ will continue to be one of Einstein's hospitals even with Hofstra.
Not that there is a big shortage of hospitals for Einstein students... Jacobi, Weiler, Monte, BI in manhattan to name a few that are all primarily just for Einstein.
People interested in getting more manhattan exposure might be pleased to know that you can do rotations at BI where you get a furnished apartment FREE while you are doing your rotation. Yes that is FREE rent in manhattan for months at a time... they aren't very competitive to get a spot at either bc by the time third year hits most people like to just stay around campus (walk to jacobi or weiler).
Over the summer you can get a 2500 dollar stipend to do research anywhere as long as you find a mentor and a project to work on. I found one pretty easily by just cold emailing the other university that I was interested in doing a summer at. Basically if you tell them your free labor bc your school will sponser the $ almost any place will take you.
I everyone! I am a first year at Einstein and would be happy to answer any of your questions. Regarding getting to campus on the subway, the best bet is to take the express 5 or 6 trains. Get off the 5 train at 180th street and take the BX21 bus from across the street. Get off the 6 train at Westchester Square and take the BX21 bus from in front of the station or the BX31 from behind the station. Another poster was also correct about the BxM10 bus that runs express from Manhattan to the Bronx. Also, if you haven't heard from Einstein yet, don't give up. I got my interview invite at the end of Feb. or start of March, and should have interviewed in May (I didn't because I had other East Coast interviews and they kindly made room for me on another date). I was admitted around the 4th of July. Even though it's hard, don't give up on Einstein. They might come through at the last minute (which is true for any school)! This is an amazing school and I'm so glad that I chose to come here. Good luck with all of your applications and let me know if you have any questions.
Anyone know if any post-interview decisions came out last Friday (2/25)?
Anyone know if any post-interview decisions came out last Friday (2/25)?
I don't believe so. At least no one posted so on SDN if they did.
I don't believe so. At least no one posted so on SDN if they did.
Thanks! I wonder if we'll hear anything tomorrow then?

Hey guys,
I just called the admissions office; after telling them that the last I heard from the school was that my file was at the 'File with the Committee' (before the status link went down), they said that the my file status is still at the same stage.
Hope this helps.
I just called the admissions office; after telling them that the last I heard from the school was that my file was at the 'File with the Committee' (before the status link went down), they said that the my file status is still at the same stage.
Hope this helps.
ACCEPTED TODAY! Interviewed Jan 3rd 😀😀
Congrats! May I ask how you were notified (phone call, e-mail)?
For everyone out there that is keeping track of acceptances/interview timelines, I was interviewed on Jan. 24th and I was at the "File with the Committee" stage on Feb. 15th.
Congrats! May I ask how you were notified (phone call, e-mail)?
For everyone out there that is keeping track of acceptances/interview timelines, I was interviewed on Jan. 24th and I was at the "File with the Committee" stage on Feb. 15th.
Thank you! I was notified by email.
ACCEPTED TODAY! Interviewed Jan 3rd 😀😀
Congrats. Looks like I should be expecting a waitlist/rejection email sometime soon then 🙁. Does Einstein usually send out rejections after acceptances?
Sorry TJAMJAJ 🙁 Hope you'll have better luck elsewhere!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just FYI , I received a pre-interview rejection from them today (via email).
Same here
I everyone! I am a first year at Einstein and would be happy to answer any of your questions. Regarding getting to campus on the subway, the best bet is to take the express 5 or 6 trains. Get off the 5 train at 180th street and take the BX21 bus from across the street. Get off the 6 train at Westchester Square and take the BX21 bus from in front of the station or the BX31 from behind the station. Another poster was also correct about the BxM10 bus that runs express from Manhattan to the Bronx. Also, if you haven't heard from Einstein yet, don't give up. I got my interview invite at the end of Feb. or start of March, and should have interviewed in May (I didn't because I had other East Coast interviews and they kindly made room for me on another date). I was admitted around the 4th of July. Even though it's hard, don't give up on Einstein. They might come through at the last minute (which is true for any school)! This is an amazing school and I'm so glad that I chose to come here. Good luck with all of your applications and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info. Maybe there are still a few more invites going out over the next week or so.
Congrats! May I ask how you were notified (phone call, e-mail)?
For everyone out there that is keeping track of acceptances/interview timelines, I was interviewed on Jan. 24th and I was at the "File with the Committee" stage on Feb. 15th.
bushidobrown, did you send a letter of interest post-interview?
bushidobrown, did you send a letter of interest post-interview?
I did not; I'm a little iffy as to how useful a LOI really is.
I did, however, send thank you notes to my interviewer and the lady in admissions that helped me reschedule my interview date.
Anyone know if Einstein sends post-interview rejections by both email and snail mail, or just snail? Also, are they usually sent out at the same time as acceptances? Really wish the status page was still up...
Anyone know if Einstein sends post-interview rejections by both email and snail mail, or just snail? Also, are they usually sent out at the same time as acceptances? Really wish the status page was still up...
Previously, they've been sending out e-mails for acceptances and waitlists, and snail mailing the rejections at around the same time. I don't know if that's changed though? Were they only sending out pre-interview rejections by snail mail before though? Maybe they're having mercy on our nerves and sending them out via snail mail now?
MD Seeker, is that the only day that's left for interviews? or just the day they gave you?
Regarding your question, you can check the interview feedback link at the top of the SDN page.
No, not the only time. It mentioned about a period you can pick. I send my time back and end up with Mar 25.
I received an acceptance from Einstein via email today, and I've been on cloud nine ever since. I interviewed mid-November and my status had been 'File with Committee' up until the secondary page was closed down. I sent them an update letter about a month ago.
I received an acceptance from Einstein via email today, and I've been on cloud nine ever since. I interviewed mid-November and my status had been 'File with Committee' up until the secondary page was closed down. I sent them an update letter about a month ago.
Congrats 🙂 ! I also interviewed in November, so I know that was quite a wait!
Waitlist email today. Interviewed January 28th.
hmm...i interviewed mid january and haven't heard anything yet...
ACCEPTED TODAY! Interviewed Jan 3rd 😀😀
Congrats!!!! You're the second person who was interviewed Jan 3rd to be accepted!!
Interviewed Jan first week too.. but haven't heard anything... gettin nervous!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmm...i interviewed mid january and haven't heard anything yet...
Same here!
where are you guys checking the status page? (i haven't gotten an interview yet) 🙁(((( my #1 school
Hi! Which airport is more convenient to the school for interviewing and which hotel is closser? How much it will be if taking a cab from airport to the school? My time is on Mar 25, anyone want to share a room on Mar 24?
Thanks!
Hey MDSeeker,
LaGuardia is the closest airport to the Bronx, so look for tickets there.
I HIGHLY recommend taking the bus to Manhattan and then transferring to the train that will take you to the Bronx; it takes about an hour or so, and it only costs around six bucks with all of the transfers. A cab from LaGuardia will cost you around 40 dollars. Also, if you're going to take a cab, only take a yellow city taxi; one of the students who I interviewed with took an unlicensed taxi and the driver gouged the hell out of him (over 100 bucks from JFK to Einstein).
Finally, I'd recommend either staying with an Einstein student. It's free, and they always give great advice. I wish you luck on your interviews 👍
where are you guys checking the status page? (i haven't gotten an interview yet) 🙁(((( my #1 school
There used to be a status page where you could check the status of your application, but it was shut down when the secondary application closed on February 15th. We're all anxious because we're waiting to hear directly from the school.
ACCEPTED TODAY! Interviewed Jan 3rd 😀😀
nice that was my date too
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K