2010-2011 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey MDSeeker,

LaGuardia is the closest airport to the Bronx, so look for tickets there.

I HIGHLY recommend taking the bus to Manhattan and then transferring to the train that will take you to the Bronx; it takes about an hour or so, and it only costs around six bucks with all of the transfers. A cab from LaGuardia will cost you around 40 dollars. Also, if you're going to take a cab, only take a yellow city taxi; one of the students who I interviewed with took an unlicensed taxi and the driver gouged the hell out of him (over 100 bucks from JFK to Einstein).

Finally, I'd recommend either staying with an Einstein student. It's free, and they always give great advice. I wish you luck on your interviews 👍

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry, I do not know any student over there. Is any hotel nearby the school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rejected by email today pre-interview, complete mid-august. emailed them a letter of interest yesterday...hope that didn't have anything to do with it:/
 
seems like rejections are being released by sequential order of complete date. this is going to be painful to wait out. i so want to call them to get more certainty about my status..
 
Anyone know how many people usually come off the waitlist? I know that there was little movement amongst board members last year, but does someone have an actual number, or can any current student gauge how many in their class were waitlisted?
 
Anyone know how many people usually come off the waitlist? I know that there was little movement amongst board members last year, but does someone have an actual number, or can any current student gauge how many in their class were waitlisted?

I'd like to know this as well, although I'm under the impression that WL=Rejection.
 
just FYI, I called in to see when how long interview season will last and I was told till the end of april or beginning of may.

Haven't heard a thing since sending my secondary in july
 
We, first years, just finished anatomy and biochem- the rest of the year is cake!! Anyone who comes to Einstein will find that after march you basically have easy and minimal class - life is good here at Einstein =).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those of you who got interviews @ AECOM, can i ask you how your scores were? thanks!

also, for the 2ndary "why do you have a W" what kind of answers did you guys write?
 
Last edited:
yeah im expecting the axe any day now...you guys know if there is still the possibility of an interview invite, or is everything pre-interview from now going to be rejection?
 
yeah im expecting the axe any day now...you guys know if there is still the possibility of an interview invite, or is everything pre-interview from now going to be rejection?


same here... it seems that Einstein has stopped sending out interview invites a while ago. i wonder if they give out pre-interview rejections alphabetically 🙁
 
Rejected from Einstein this morning, pre-interview. Sent a good interest letter/update letter a month ago, but I guess it didn't work lol. Maybe they never acknowledged it either.
 
I've got an Einstein interview on the 24th of March. Of the schools at which I have received an interview, Einstein is my top choice. However, I've also received a full scholarship at SUNY Upstate including one year of free housing.

At this point, I'd only consider choosing Einstein if the tuition cost was substantially reduced (say ~$20K per year as opposed to $46K). How likely do you think it is to receive a large aid package from AECOM? Do you think it's more likely if I mention my other offer? Do you guys think it's even worth it to interview here anymore?
 
I've got an Einstein interview on the 24th of March. Of the schools at which I have received an interview, Einstein is my top choice. However, I've also received a full scholarship at SUNY Upstate including one year of free housing.

At this point, I'd only consider choosing Einstein if the tuition cost was substantially reduced (say ~$20K per year as opposed to $46K). How likely do you think it is to receive a large aid package from AECOM? Do you think it's more likely if I mention my other offer? Do you guys think it's even worth it to interview here anymore?

Noooooooo do not tell them about your other scholarship offer during your interview. Wait until you are accepted to multiple schools, and then you bring up the scholarship and watch them fight over you.

feelsgoodman
 
Is anyone else still standing after today's waves of pre-interview rejections? I still don't understand if they're looking for the last invites or if they simply haven't gotten around to rejecting us yet.
 
Is anyone else still standing after today's waves of pre-interview rejections? I still don't understand if they're looking for the last invites or if they simply haven't gotten around to rejecting us yet.

I was complete in October and still haven't heard a peep, rejection or not. I would hope they wouldn't keep people around hoping even though they know all interview dates are passed/full. Only thing to do is wait some more. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not applying this cycle, but I'm going to apply in June. Quick question: how strict are they on having 1 of your LOR come from a prof in your major's department? I know that some schools are lenient on this requirement... is AECOM one of them? Thanks!
 
Rejected from Einstein this morning, pre-interview. Sent a good interest letter/update letter a month ago, but I guess it didn't work lol. Maybe they never acknowledged it either.

you didn't get a confirmation email? i just sent an update letter as well as got my professor to write an updated letter of recommendation just last week...and they responded saying that it'll be in my file....im not sure how good it will do....seeing as yours was not helpful.. 🙁

i really hope i get in...at least an interview to give m some false hope.:scared: anyone can shed some more light on einstein?
 
For those who have already interviewed at Albert Einstein, how long can we usually expect the interview to be in duration?

Does the interviewer (I am assuming there is only one) have a copy of both your AMCAS application and your secondary application on hand?

Many thanks!
 
For those who have already interviewed at Albert Einstein, how long can we usually expect the interview to be in duration?

Does the interviewer (I am assuming there is only one) have a copy of both your AMCAS application and your secondary application on hand?

Many thanks!

You do have one interviewer. Mine lasted somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes (sorry, it was awhile ago). It might have gone longer, but my interviewer was a clinician and seemed extremely busy (had to wait for some time while he finished some work, then someone came in and told him he was "needed" as soon as possible, which ended our conversation). I would expect anything from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your interviewer.

I'm pretty sure that he had read my file, but not sure about the secondary (not brought up, but there wasn't anything too exciting on mine).
 
So, I've already interviewed at AECOM. Received an e-mail today inviting me back to the school to undergo a second interview. Anybody have any experience with this? I live pretty far away (and I'm pretty poor), do you think I could suggest a phone interview?
 
For those who have already interviewed at Albert Einstein, how long can we usually expect the interview to be in duration?

Does the interviewer (I am assuming there is only one) have a copy of both your AMCAS application and your secondary application on hand?

Many thanks!

The interview was about 45 mins for me.. they have a copy of your file which includes anything you've sent them (letters, recc letters, and AMCAS application)..There was no secondary essay for Einstein so I don't know if it is that important to be read.. but I assume they probably looked at it!
 
So, I've already interviewed at AECOM. Received an e-mail today inviting me back to the school to undergo a second interview. Anybody have any experience with this? I live pretty far away (and I'm pretty poor), do you think I could suggest a phone interview?

Whaa? I haven't heard of this happening. Did you request a second interview, or complain about your first?
 
Whaa? I haven't heard of this happening. Did you request a second interview, or complain about your first?

Nope. In fact I felt like my interview went pretty well.

I found this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=12932 where someone had a similar experience, but it's from 2001. I cannot find anything else on SDN.

On Einstein's admission website I found this: http://www.einstein.yu.edu/admissions/page.aspx?id=772 where, in the last line, they state "Occasionally, the Admissions Committee invites applicants back for a second interview if further information is needed."

I'd appreciate it if someone with a similar experience would chime in. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're concerned with anonymity. Thanks!
 
Nope. In fact I felt like my interview went pretty well.

I found this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=12932 where someone had a similar experience, but it's from 2001. I cannot find anything else on SDN.

On Einstein's admission website I found this: http://www.einstein.yu.edu/admissions/page.aspx?id=772 where, in the last line, they state "Occasionally, the Admissions Committee invites applicants back for a second interview if further information is needed."

I'd appreciate it if someone with a similar experience would chime in. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're concerned with anonymity. Thanks!

Interesting. Sorry I can't be more of a help, but if it were me, I would call the admissions office and explain, and maybe they'll offer to do it over the phone. It sounds like they do this for a very specific reason (they want to know something), and flying to NYC to answer a question that can be answered over the phone seems pretty extreme. Worth a shot to ask, IMO...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any post-interview decision e-mails gone out today? They seem to have switched to every other Monday, so I was thinking there'd be e-mails going out today?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.