2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that update... Now the rest of my day will be spent hitting the email refresh button lol. Although that complete email really isn't that interesting I'm assuming.
nope not interesting .. just letting me know that the next communication will be either an invite or a rejection... probably at 2:33AM... I have develop the habit of waking up at 4:00AM and checking my email:laugh: so thats cool
 
nope not interesting .. just letting me know that the next communication will be either an invite or a rejection... probably at 2:33AM... I have develop the habit of waking up at 4:00AM and checking my email:laugh: so thats cool

Also just received LOR receipt email. Hooray for my prediction from this morning being correct... they rarely are in this process.

For others who are wondering when they will receive this notification, my letters for Mayo were sent at the same time as my letters for Rochester. On Rochester's website, there is a document tracking feature which says when your letters were physically received. I don't think it's a coincidence that Rochester received my letters last night, after their offices closed, and today Mayo sent receipt of letters.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also just received LOR receipt email. Hooray for my prediction from this morning being correct... they rarely are in this process.

For others who are wondering when they will receive this notification, my letters for Mayo were sent at the same time as my letters for Rochester. On Rochester's website, there is a document tracking feature which says when your letters were physically received. I don't think it's a coincidence that Rochester received my letters last night, after their offices closed, and today Mayo sent receipt of letters.

You physically sent them instead of just using the AMCAS letters service?
 
You physically sent them instead of just using the AMCAS letters service?

Let me rephrase that - instead of the date the school physically received them, the date AMCAS actually transmitted them to be received. I'm just guessing this based on timestamped dates of receipt from other schools. I've often seen a big difference between the three events surrounding letter transmission, where AMCAS notifies the school of the letters (where I've been emailed by the school of this), where AMCAS says the letters are ready (where I've been emailed by AMCAS), and where the letters have been received and not simply processed (where I've been notified by the school of this). These seem to be three separate events, especially where the 2nd and 3rd aren't the same. I think the LOR receipt email from Mayo may be originating from the last of these three, not the first. This could be the source of the delay between assigning letters in AMCAS and receiving this email from Mayo. But this is speculation, and really doesn't mean anything.
 
Let me rephrase that - instead of the date the school physically received them, the date AMCAS actually transmitted them to be received. I'm just guessing this based on timestamped dates of receipt from other schools. I've often seen a big difference between the three events surrounding letter transmission, where AMCAS notifies the school of the letters (where I've been emailed by the school of this), where AMCAS says the letters are ready (where I've been emailed by AMCAS), and where the letters have been received and not simply processed (where I've been notified by the school of this). These seem to be three separate events, especially where the 2nd and 3rd aren't the same. I think the LOR receipt email from Mayo may be originating from the last of these three, not the first. This could be the source of the delay between assigning letters in AMCAS and receiving this email from Mayo. But this is speculation, and really doesn't mean anything.

I don't think I've gotten any feedback from any schools about if and when they received my letters. Mayo sent an email specifically saying they'd received your LORs? I just got the LOR request, and since then nothing.
 
Ya that is something to worry about, but then again there is a lot of speculation in your post. Just because the last posted on SDN was for interviews in November doesn't necessarily mean there aren't interviews left in October, or maybe even September! I think the best thing to do during this process is to avoid over analyzing anything, it really does absolutely no good and only makes you more stressed than you need to be. There is only one truth in this process, being that anything can and will happen despite the most factual predictions.

Who knows, there could be some major set backs this cycle for the admissions committee and they decide to interview into January.
When I chose my interview date last week, the first available dates were 11/1 & 11/5. The months of September and October were filled.
 
Thanks guys for the thoughts and thanks Acoustic for your info. I agree they wouldn't be sending out LOR requests just for fun. I guess the spots are filling up but there will be some left also.
 
I don't think I've gotten any feedback from any schools about if and when they received my letters. Mayo sent an email specifically saying they'd received your LORs? I just got the LOR request, and since then nothing.

Some schools have specifically said they received them, and Mayo sends an email to that same effect. Earlier I was surmising when they might have actually sent this email, either when AMCAS notifies them that letters are going to be sent or when they actually receive them from AMCAS, as if these two events are different.

Mayo definitely sends an email saying your letters have been "received and attached to your AMCAS file", but this doesn't necessarily mean wether it took them so long after AMCAS said they sent them because they were processing the letters or if AMCAS hadn't sent them until recently. Once again, this is mostly pointless speculation resulting from anticipation about receiving that email from Mayo.
 
Hi guys, I received an interview date for Oct 29th!!! which is a friday and i am not sure if i should stay there that night (plus the day before) and leave on the 30th. Is there much to do? Do people usually stay 2 nights?
 
Hi guys, I received an interview date for Oct 29th!!! which is a friday and i am not sure if i should stay there that night (plus the day before) and leave on the 30th. Is there much to do? Do people usually stay 2 nights?

Congrats iPod01!! It must feel great! gl on your interview
 
How long is the typical turnaround between the fee payment, LOR request and interview notification/rejection?

Fee paid on 9/15, still no word on LOR's.
 
Hi guys, I received an interview date for Oct 29th!!! which is a friday and i am not sure if i should stay there that night (plus the day before) and leave on the 30th. Is there much to do? Do people usually stay 2 nights?

The primary reason people stay two nights is that they can't get a flight out of Rochester right after their interview (although they might have luck getting one out of Minneapolis). IMHO, you probably won't get much out of staying a second night that you couldn't get out of one night. Rochester's a tiny city.
 
Hey guys,
I've really appreciated all the info on mayo from the students. A couple more questions. I was wondering if mayo videotapes or audio tapes lecture? Also are you required to attend lecture? Does everyone go? Thanks!!
 
Hi guys, I received an interview date for Oct 29th!!! which is a friday and i am not sure if i should stay there that night (plus the day before) and leave on the 30th. Is there much to do? Do people usually stay 2 nights?

Congrats!! Do you mind posting when you got your LOR request and when you got the received email? Goodluck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I've really appreciated all the info on mayo from the students. A couple more questions. I was wondering if mayo videotapes or audio tapes lecture? Also are you required to attend lecture? Does everyone go? Thanks!!


Hey NYer,
A) I'm assuming you're from NY, so hi from a fellow east coaster. B) Answers to your questions: Mayo doesn't video/audiotape lectures for us (some students audiotape themselves, but nothing official is set up). And yes, we are basically required to attend lecture. This is not a good school for people who don't like going to class - the professors know us all on a first name basis, and if someone is absent it is addressed immediately. A good amount of the material we learn cannot be gleaned just from looking at the powerpoint presentations, etc from professors, so skipping class is not a realistic option if you want to pass! Hope this helps 😳)
~Nerday
 
If they're still sending out LOR requests in mid-September, it's because they have an expectation that they may want to interview and then accept some of those people. The admissions staff has been through this before. If they think there'll still be spots for some of these people, there'll probably be spots for some of these people.

It's stressful waiting, I know, but don't panic.


Alright, guys, calm down. Mid-September? They send LOR requests throughout the admissions process. AMCAS doesn't close until what, October? One of my classmates applied the very last day AMCAS was open, and he's here. Don't worry about things not flying in September...the season is young.
 
Also just received LOR receipt email. Hooray for my prediction from this morning being correct... they rarely are in this process.

For others who are wondering when they will receive this notification, my letters for Mayo were sent at the same time as my letters for Rochester. On Rochester's website, there is a document tracking feature which says when your letters were physically received. I don't think it's a coincidence that Rochester received my letters last night, after their offices closed, and today Mayo sent receipt of letters.

You designated your letters on 9/8, right? I did mine over a week before that, and still haven't heard anything. Wonder what the deal is.

It's starting to feel like when you have a 45 minute wait at a restaurant, and you see people getting tables that you swear came in 30 minutes after you. :scared:
 
You designated your letters on 9/8, right? I did mine over a week before that, and still haven't heard anything. Wonder what the deal is.

It's starting to feel like when you have a 45 minute wait at a restaurant, and you see people getting tables that you swear came in 30 minutes after you. :scared:

Yep. Designated letters 9/8, all letters received by AMCAS 9/9, Mayo completion email 9/23.

My letter request went out 8/5 though. So the more appropriate analogy is you've been waiting at the restaurant for 45 minutes while a group that's been there 30 minutes gets seated because they had reservations for a half hour ago but they're the idiots who don't hear their name being called lol.

It will happen soon enough for you. Patience is difficult, I know, but at least keep solace in the idea that the email itself is rather boring and uneventful and doesn't necessarily mean you're that much closer to an interview decision.
 
Yep. Designated letters 9/8, all letters received by AMCAS 9/9, Mayo completion email 9/23.

My letter request went out 8/5 though. So the more appropriate analogy is you've been waiting at the restaurant for 45 minutes while a group that's been there 30 minutes gets seated because they had reservations for a half hour ago but they're the idiots who don't hear their name being called lol.

It will happen soon enough for you. Patience is difficult, I know, but at least keep solace in the idea that the email itself is rather boring and uneventful and doesn't necessarily mean you're that much closer to an interview decision.

Ah, okay, the 8/5 request is more than likely the difference. That makes sense.
 
Alright, guys, calm down. Mid-September? They send LOR requests throughout the admissions process. AMCAS doesn't close until what, October? One of my classmates applied the very last day AMCAS was open, and he's here. Don't worry about things not flying in September...the season is young.

Thanks for the reassurance, Nerday. Knowing that the final interviews are given in mid-December, it is a bit worrying if they haven't asked for LOR's yet or given a complete email. It's good to know that a classmate of yours got in after applying on the final day. Rochester is a great small town, and Mayo Medical School sounds like a fantastic place to develop as a "whole" doctor, not just a researcher or a clinician.
 
I'll be interviewing next Monday - the 4th. Is anyone meeting for coffee, drinks, etc, on Sunday night? I'm flying into Minneapolis, renting a car, and staying with a student host.
 
I'll be interviewing next Monday - the 4th. Is anyone meeting for coffee, drinks, etc, on Sunday night? I'm flying into Minneapolis, renting a car, and staying with a student host.

We'll probably do a dinner or something that night. What time are you arriving? I know I'm hosting a girl, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind eating something 😉. Just let your host know that you want to meet some others, and they will probably get that going for you.
 
Yep. Designated letters 9/8, all letters received by AMCAS 9/9, Mayo completion email 9/23.

My letter request went out 8/5 though. So the more appropriate analogy is you've been waiting at the restaurant for 45 minutes while a group that's been there 30 minutes gets seated because they had reservations for a half hour ago but they're the idiots who don't hear their name being called lol.

It will happen soon enough for you. Patience is difficult, I know, but at least keep solace in the idea that the email itself is rather boring and uneventful and doesn't necessarily mean you're that much closer to an interview decision.

Yeah, that's probably always the case. Leave it to me to twist into some conspiracy where I end up screwed. :laugh:

I guess they must put people in the queue based on when they are invited. I overlooked that part.
 
We'll probably do a dinner or something that night. What time are you arriving? I know I'm hosting a girl, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind eating something 😉. Just let your host know that you want to meet some others, and they will probably get that going for you.

I'm getting into Minneapolis at 3:45 PM.
 
Talked to Carmen (I think) in admissions and she said Mayo interviews until mid Dec and as of right now they are almost filled on Nov. interviews....
 
Talked to Carmen (I think) in admissions and she said Mayo interviews until mid Dec and as of right now they are almost filled on Nov. interviews....

Does anyone know if this is abnormal at this time of year? Nerday said that one of her classmates applied in mid-October last year and still got in. Almost being done with November interviews makes it sound like someone who applies now won't even get a look at an interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be interviewing next Monday - the 4th. Is anyone meeting for coffee, drinks, etc, on Sunday night? I'm flying into Minneapolis, renting a car, and staying with a student host.

FYI--there is a shuttle (GoRochesterDirect Shuttle: gorochesterdirect.com) that runs between MSP and downtown Rochester (which is a very walk-able city). It costs $55 for a round trip and would probably be a more economical option for you. If you're staying with a student host, getting from downtown to their place shouldn't be a problem without a car.
 
Does anyone know if this is abnormal at this time of year? Nerday said that one of her classmates applied in mid-October last year and still got in. Almost being done with November interviews makes it sound like someone who applies now won't even get a look at an interview.

per Mayo's website, "an earlier review process has been implemented."

http://www.mayo.edu/mms/md-admissions.html

i interpret this to mean this year's admissions process is moving along earlier than last year or in years past. i guess only time will tell how many more invitations will be extended this year.
:xf:
 
FYI--there is a shuttle (GoRochesterDirect Shuttle: gorochesterdirect.com) that runs between MSP and downtown Rochester (which is a very walk-able city). It costs $55 for a round trip and would probably be a more economical option for you. If you're staying with a student host, getting from downtown to their place shouldn't be a problem without a car.

Renting a car is much cheaper than $55. I rented a car for $18. Why depend on a shuttle when you can drive yourself?
 
Does anyone know if Mayo is still processing LoRs? All my letters are in by August. I got LoR request on 9/1 but haven't heard from the school since then.
 
Renting a car is much cheaper than $55. I rented a car for $18. Why depend on a shuttle when you can drive yourself?

That post was too short a reply. I'm sorry, I was studying and saw the post and replied in note-taking style.

I've lived in the Southwest my entire life and have spent a total of 3 days of my adult life without access to a car. They were very uncomfortable days. I know that there are people whose brains have been programmed by a different culture. This is the 4th time that someone from Rochester has mentioned the shuttle and I am confused by it every time. Isn't being car- less kind of like having your arms and legs chopped off?
 
That post was too short a reply. I'm sorry, I was studying and saw the post and replied in note-taking style.

I've lived in the Southwest my entire life and have spent a total of 3 days of my adult life without access to a car. They were very uncomfortable days. I know that there are people whose brains have been programmed by a different culture. This is the 4th time that someone from Rochester has mentioned the shuttle and I am confused by it every time. Isn't being car- less kind of like having your arms and legs chopped off?


Haha, in Rochester it's fine (especially for just a couple of days - we have classmates here without cars and they are alive and thriving!). Once you arrive here from Minneapolis, you can walk everywhere that's important. It's not crazy walks - mostly within 10 minutes. It's a nice little city to shuttle around on foot, so no, it wouldn't be awful to be without a car. However, interview season is stressful and if having a car floats your boat you should do it. I'm sure not everybody would keep an iPod with them at all times during interviews to play rescue music after stressful interviews like I did 😉 ...we all have our thing.
 
Does anyone know if Mayo is still processing LoRs? All my letters are in by August. I got LoR request on 9/1 but haven't heard from the school since then.

I am also waiting from that day in case you wanted to know. I'm just trying to be patient but its hard when they are saying that interviews are filling up for Nov. I really want to interview at Mayo so I hope that they have interview spots left to hand me one!
 
Haha, in Rochester it's fine (especially for just a couple of days - we have classmates here without cars and they are alive and thriving!). Once you arrive here from Minneapolis, you can walk everywhere that's important. It's not crazy walks - mostly within 10 minutes. It's a nice little city to shuttle around on foot, so no, it wouldn't be awful to be without a car. However, interview season is stressful and if having a car floats your boat you should do it. I'm sure not everybody would keep an iPod with them at all times during interviews to play rescue music after stressful interviews like I did 😉 ...we all have our thing.

I looked at the googlemaps network of biking trails through the city. Goodness, it looks like it's easier to bike than to drive. That would be nice, especially if they are mostly covered and winter accessible. I love to bike. My wife and I have a tandem. I had a mountain bike until last Saturday but my planned 30 mile ride got cut short by a thief.
 
I am also waiting from that day in case you wanted to know. I'm just trying to be patient but its hard when they are saying that interviews are filling up for Nov. I really want to interview at Mayo so I hope that they have interview spots left to hand me one!

Same here.... 9/1 LOR and I haven't even received a complete email yet.
 
Same here.... 9/1 LOR and I haven't even received a complete email yet.

I got a 9/10 LOR request, and am trying not to worry. Has anyone gotten a complete email and/or interview recently? If so, when was your LOR request?
 
Same here.... 9/1 LOR and I haven't even received a complete email yet.

fore everyone wondering about LOR requests and whatnot: i called yesterday after I realized that I should've gotten a complete email after Mayo requested my letters (at first, i assumed that I could just go on my merry way and wait for an interview invite....or a a rejection but I don't want to think about that! 😕). I got my LOR request from 8/31, and sent my letters into AMCAS about two months before that.

I called Mayo yesterday and the lady said that it was typical to have to wait ~8 weeks before letters were downloaded (she said mine should be downloaded around tomorrow) and then after that, it would be many more weeks before I would hear the results of my review...:xf:
 
I got a 9/10 LOR request, and am trying not to worry. Has anyone gotten a complete email and/or interview recently? If so, when was your LOR request?

I wouldn't worry in the slightest until well after those who got 9/1 requests hear something.



@Chickpea-thanks for the update.
 
Renting a car is much cheaper than $55. I rented a car for $18. Why depend on a shuttle when you can drive yourself?

I figured that with all of the taxes they add to rental cars and the price of gas between cities that a rental would be more expensive, but I guess I don't rent cars enough to know you can get them for such low of a price. The cheapest way is the best way!
 
fore everyone wondering about LOR requests and whatnot: i called yesterday after I realized that I should've gotten a complete email after Mayo requested my letters (at first, i assumed that I could just go on my merry way and wait for an interview invite....or a a rejection but I don't want to think about that! 😕). I got my LOR request from 8/31, and sent my letters into AMCAS about two months before that.

I called Mayo yesterday and the lady said that it was typical to have to wait ~8 weeks before letters were downloaded (she said mine should be downloaded around tomorrow) and then after that, it would be many more weeks before I would hear the results of my review...:xf:

Wow! That is a long turnaround time. Looks like I may need to apply next year, but earlier! Mayo is such a fantastic place...

Thanks for reporting back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FYI, I checked last year's thread and someone posted a response from Marcy about the LOR/interview invite process. Some useful info. This was on September 17th.

Unfortunately, there is not an exact timeline that I can give applicants as far as the time that it takes to get a Letter of Recommendation received e-mail after the actual request. Nor is there an exact timeline from any one status to the next. I understand this is hard for applicants, but you must continue to be patient. To date we have accepted just over 3000 applications. We are requesting letters from roughly 900-1000 applicants, and this process does take some time.

If letters are in AMCAS, there is no need to call and check on them because we will retrieve them at the next point that we are retrieving letters. Just like the LOR request e-mail states, "please note that if you have sent your letters to AMCAS prior to receiving this notification, you do not need to resend them. This email is letting you know that we will now begin retrieving your letters." It is not done daily, weekly, monthly or on any predictable schedule. Applicants don't always realize that we are not only processing letters, but we are processing new applicants in the process, interview invites and now we are processing applicants that are attending onsite interviews as well. I realize that the amount of time it takes for something to happen with an application may seem like an eternity for an applicant, but in reality, it is not an unreasonable response time in relationship to the volume of applicants in the med school admissions process.

In addition, because of our rolling admissions process, we will always retrieve letters in the order that we requested them from applicants, meaning that those people that we just requested letters from earlier in September will not be processed until we have processed all the LOR requests from July and August. We appreciate applicants being patient, and we will continue to process as efficiently as possible.

To date, roughly 180 invites have gone out, and there will be approximately 270 invites extended. The speculation that we are waiting for all applications to be reviewed before inviting anymore applicants is incorrect. More invites will be sent as they are made.
 
I figured that with all of the taxes they add to rental cars and the price of gas between cities that a rental would be more expensive, but I guess I don't rent cars enough to know you can get them for such low of a price. The cheapest way is the best way!

My total cost - taxes and all - was $36.27. I could have got it $4 cheaper, but I'm not perfect on the travel sites yet.
 
Thanks chickpea and dpekerholmn for the info. I will just sit tight and wait. Good thing I have a bunch of tests this week and next to keep me occupied...lol.
 
Thanks chickpea and dpekerholmn for the info. I will just sit tight and wait. Good thing I have a bunch of tests this week and next to keep me occupied...lol.
Went home yesterday and saw a big envelope with Mayo Clinic on it ... I freaked out cuz i did not even interview so I was like its pretty obnoxious for a rejection mail... Then i looked at it, and it was my moms name on it asking her to do a mamogram or something. I was relieved it wasnt a rejection letter and same time disappointed it was not a communication from Mayo to me... On the envelope it said please respond in the next 10 days and i said to myself I wish your admissions responded to me that fast...lol
 
Went home yesterday and saw a big envelope with Mayo Clinic on it ... I freaked out cuz i did not even interview so I was like its pretty obnoxious for a rejection mail... Then i looked at it, and it was my moms name on it asking her to do a mamogram or something. I was relieved it wasnt a rejection letter and same time disappointed it was not a communication from Mayo to me... On the envelope it said please respond in the next 10 days and i said to myself I wish your admissions responded to me that fast...lol

Haha that EXACT same thing happened to me yesterday but with UCSF. I live in San Francisco and there was some large envelope with the words med school on it, but it was for my neighbor and was some sort of public health awareness seminar. Disappointed and relieved at the same time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.