2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great. How long do you think I'll need to wait until I hear back from them?

Is there anything that I can do at this point?

The pattern I have observed is that they will send you a LOR request around two weeks after you have paid your fee; then the LOR received email ten days later. Then two to four weeks later, an interview invite.

There is nothing you can do at this point, assuming you have already submitted your LOR's.
 
The pattern I have observed is that they will send you a LOR request around two weeks after you have paid your fee; then the LOR received email ten days later. Then two to four weeks later, an interview invite.

There is nothing you can do at this point, assuming you have already submitted your LOR's.


Yep, this was almost exactly my time frame. I received the interview invite Aug 18 and LOR received on 7/22.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a beautiful day in Rochester today (they exist!), fyi. For those of you who just got interview invites, (1) congratulations! and (2) let me know if you want to have coffee with myself or other current students when you get here. It's a good opportunity to hear how things really are at Mayo (awesome, btw) and ask any questions you are too afraid to ask at the actual interview. Just PM me if you want in!
Much love,
Nerday
 
Paid the fee 8/6... still no word... no LOR request or rejection or anything.... That can't be good...

OOS / 3.99cGPA / 4.0sGPA / 28M (9-9-10) 🙁
 
Paid the fee 8/6... still no word... no LOR request or rejection or anything.... That can't be good...

OOS / 3.99cGPA / 4.0sGPA / 28M (9-9-10) 🙁

Hey, no worries. There are some of us who paid mid to late July who haven't heard anything back
 
Oh really? Okay good..naturally I assumed I was the only one whose fee was received 7/19 and had not heard anything at the moment. `
 
It's a beautiful day in Rochester today (they exist!), fyi. For those of you who just got interview invites, (1) congratulations! and (2) let me know if you want to have coffee with myself or other current students when you get here. It's a good opportunity to hear how things really are at Mayo (awesome, btw) and ask any questions you are too afraid to ask at the actual interview. Just PM me if you want in!
Much love,
Nerday

Nerday, I wish you posted more often. Every time you write, I get more insight into Mayo (i.e. love Mayo a little more).
 
It's a beautiful day in Rochester today (they exist!), fyi. For those of you who just got interview invites, (1) congratulations! and (2) let me know if you want to have coffee with myself or other current students when you get here. It's a good opportunity to hear how things really are at Mayo (awesome, btw) and ask any questions you are too afraid to ask at the actual interview. Just PM me if you want in!
Much love,
Nerday

I'm definitely going to take you up on that offer. I'll be up there 10/10-10/11 - you down?
 
Also interviewing on 10/11 and would love to hang out with other interviewees! Maybe on 10/10 .. are you all flying out right after interview day ends?
 
Also interviewing on 10/11 and would love to hang out with other interviewees! Maybe on 10/10 .. are you all flying out right after interview day ends?

Yay! It would be awesome to meet before hand.. I think I'll get into Rochester around 4:00 pm on Sunday and would love to meet up with other interviewees and nerday 🙂

I'm flying out around 7:00 out of rochester the day of the interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds awesome! I'm leaving right after the interview for the airport also, so maybe share a cab to make it a bit cheaper 🙂
 
I'm definitely going to take you up on that offer. I'll be up there 10/10-10/11 - you down?

Sounds good Cole-io. I'm gonna arrange to do a big coffee date where I take whoever wants to go to coffee the night of Sunday the 10th. My goal is to look pimpin', but also to answer questions/welcome you guys to Rochester. I imagine some of you will be staying with host students (recommended!), so you may want to hang with them or bring them to coffee. I can't guarantee it'll be a lot of talking time (I'll be in anatomy by the time y'all get here, and that means time-crunched Nerday), but I'll do my best. PM me when your interviewer gets closer and let me know when ok times would be.
Best of luck, kiddos, keep on truckin'.
 
For those of you who will be in town for the 9/10 interview, a few M1's (and interviewees staying with student hosts) will be meeting up this Thursday, (9/9) to catch part of the Vikings game. We'll be meeting at 8:30 or 9ish at Dooley's (for those of you staying with student hosts, ask them to take you! For those of you staying in a hotel, your front deskperson should be able to direct you there--it's right downtown).

And Nerday, I guess you can come if you want (although you might scare them all away).

Look forward to meeting you all.
 
For those of you who will be in town for the 9/10 interview, a few M1's (and interviewees staying with student hosts) will be meeting up this Thursday, (9/9) to catch part of the Vikings game. We'll be meeting at 8:30 or 9ish at Dooley's (for those of you staying with student hosts, ask them to take you! For those of you staying in a hotel, your front deskperson should be able to direct you there--it's right downtown).

And Nerday, I guess you can come if you want (although you might scare them all away).

Look forward to meeting you all.


SortaBigDeal is just trying to throw me under the bus because he's jealous of my popularity (actually, I have no friends). I'll make an appearance just to see who faints at the sight of me. Also, FYI interviewees, Dooley's is a pub but you don't have to drink (you can, but don't worry if you don't want to)! All interviewees who just want to hang out with students are welcome to come 🙂 Also FYI, none of us have any impact on decisions, so don't be nervous about hanging out with us. Ok, I wish you all safe flights/drives and try not to stress!
 
SortaBigDeal is just trying to throw me under the bus because he's jealous of my popularity (actually, I have no friends). I'll make an appearance just to see who faints at the sight of me. Also, FYI interviewees, Dooley's is a pub but you don't have to drink (you can, but don't worry if you don't want to)! All interviewees who just want to hang out with students are welcome to come 🙂 Also FYI, none of us have any impact on decisions, so don't be nervous about hanging out with us. Ok, I wish you all safe flights/drives and try not to stress!

To add to what Nerday said, Dooley's doesn't card at the door until about 10:00pm on weeknights (that's when things shift from being restaurant-y to more pub-y) so even if you're not 21 yet, you can still come out with us. We really want to meet you! From my experience, it really helps ease the nerves when you meet current students and other interviewees the night before your interview day.

A more important note about Dooley's is that they have free all-you-can-eat popcorn (students traveling on a budget can thank me for this tip later).

I hope you all can make it! PM me if you need more details.
 
To add to what Nerday said, Dooley's doesn't card at the door until about 10:00pm on weeknights (that's when things shift from being restaurant-y to more pub-y) so even if you're not 21 yet, you can still come out with us. We really want to meet you! From my experience, it really helps ease the nerves when you meet current students and other interviewees the night before your interview day.

A more important note about Dooley's is that they have free all-you-can-eat popcorn (students traveling on a budget can thank me for this tip later).

I hope you all can make it! PM me if you need more details.
Sounds like so much fun! Anyway you guys are also meeting up on October 10th?? 🙂
 
Sounds like so much fun! Anyway you guys are also meeting up on October 10th?? 🙂

No guarantees, but I'd imagine so. We're trying to get all of the hosts and their interviewees together the night before each interview day whenever we can. Interviewees not staying with students are welcome to join as well. We'll try to post the plans here whenever we have them figured out (might be day-of, so be forewarned). If you stay with a student host--which you should 😀--you'll get this info straight from them.

We'll only be one week into anatonmy on October 10, so I'd imagine the odds of us hanging out downtown with you might be pretty high 😉.

Of course, Nerday is down with hanging out with anyone at any time since she has no life.
 
No guarantees, but I'd imagine so. We're trying to get all of the hosts and their interviewees together the night before each interview day whenever we can. Interviewees not staying with students are welcome to join as well. We'll try to post the plans here whenever we have them figured out (might be day-of, so be forewarned). If you stay with a student host--which you should 😀--you'll get this info straight from them.

We'll only be one week into anatonmy on October 10, so I'd imagine the odds of us hanging out downtown with you might be pretty high 😉.

Of course, Nerday is down with hanging out with anyone at any time since she has no life.

Sounds great!! Can't wait to hopefully meet some of you soon 🙂
 
EDIT: Wow, I'm tired. Was checking through the thread and responded to an old post. My bad! Classes are getting the best of me.
 
To add to what Nerday said, Dooley's doesn't card at the door until about 10:00pm on weeknights (that's when things shift from being restaurant-y to more pub-y) so even if you're not 21 yet, you can still come out with us. We really want to meet you! From my experience, it really helps ease the nerves when you meet current students and other interviewees the night before your interview day.

A more important note about Dooley's is that they have free all-you-can-eat popcorn (students traveling on a budget can thank me for this tip later).

I hope you all can make it! PM me if you need more details.


Hey all, just a heads up. If anyone is interested in watching the game in full, I'll be there by 7:30, can't miss my Vikes! PM if you want to meet up.
 
i havent gotten an email yet about student hosts for the 10/15 interview date, but do you guys know if they host us for one or two nights? the way flights work out, i need to stay there for two nights and wanna see if i need a hotel (hopefully not!)
 
i havent gotten an email yet about student hosts for the 10/15 interview date, but do you guys know if they host us for one or two nights? the way flights work out, i need to stay there for two nights and wanna see if i need a hotel (hopefully not!)

I just got the e-mail for student hosts for that interview date, so check your inbox soon!
 
i havent gotten an email yet about student hosts for the 10/15 interview date, but do you guys know if they host us for one or two nights? the way flights work out, i need to stay there for two nights and wanna see if i need a hotel (hopefully not!)

Your host is only required to host you for one night, but you can ask [nicely!] to stay for two on your host request form. Realistically, somebody here should be able to host you for the second night, even if it is a different student than your first host. Just indicate on your host request form that you're looking for a two night stand (har har har) and the hosting gurus will see what they can do!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your host is only required to host you for one night, but you can ask [nicely!] to stay for two on your host request form. Realistically, somebody here should be able to host you for the second night, even if it is a different student than your first host. Just indicate on your host request form that you're looking for a two night stand (har har har) and the hosting gurus will see what they can do!

We get two-night requests all the time because flights out of Rochester are often hard to get the evening after your interview (my sarcasm tells me that RST is a pretty big airport). As Nerday said, our policy that student hosts are only committed to host visiting students for the night preceding interview day; however, hosts can accomodate you for an additional day if they are able and willing.

Unfortunately, we will not know if your host is able to host you for the second night until after we match you with them (usually about a week before your interview). If you are requesting a two-night stay, we recommend that for the time being you make arrangements at a local hotel for the additional night you will be staying. If the student host is able to accommodate you for an additional night, you can cancel the hotel reservation–most hotels will allow you to cancel your reservation 24-48 hours prior to check-in time without penalty (and you should have an answer by that deadline).

Hope this helps.
 
I just got my LOR received email today, and I was wondering if Mayo is willing to listen to quick updates on my application (pre-interview request). I know some schools frown upon this when done before an interview invite-- so I just wanted to make sure.

Any advice is appreciated!
 
I just got my LOR received email today, and I was wondering if Mayo is willing to listen to quick updates on my application (pre-interview request). I know some schools frown upon this when done before an interview invite-- so I just wanted to make sure.

Any advice is appreciated!
when did AAMC receive your letters? mine got there a week and a half ago and im wondering when i would be complete
 
I just got my LOR received email today, and I was wondering if Mayo is willing to listen to quick updates on my application (pre-interview request). I know some schools frown upon this when done before an interview invite-- so I just wanted to make sure.

Any advice is appreciated!


When did they request your LOR?
 
I got my LOR request on Aug 31st-- although I just got the "complete" notice for receiving my letters today (September 9).

I actually submitted my LOR's to AMCAS a month ago. When I initially sent my letters to AMCAS, it took exactly one week for me to get the "Letters Received" email notification.

Hope that helps.
 
Just to let you know, a different email address is being used this year than the one last year which was on last year's SDN thread. The correct email should be on an email sent to students who are invited for an interview.

Good luck in the process!
 
Does anyone know how long it takes the student host program to get back to us after we submit the form/sign up for a host?

When you send an initial email to the student host coordinators, you will usually recieve a response within a day that includes a link with a form for you to input when you will be coming, preferences, etc...

The time it takes to match you up with a student after you fill out the form is variable. As a general rule, you should expect to be paired up with a host one week before your interview date. Things can't be arranged too early because we often don't know what each host's schedule can allow that far in advance.

We don't anticipate any problems fulfilling all of the requests that are sent to us--we should be able to host every interviewee that fills out the form requesting to stay with a student. If it alleviates any worries, you can make reservations at a hotel "just in case" (they usually let you cancel your reservation 24-48 hours before check-in without penalty) but I don't really think this is necessary.
 
We get two-night requests all the time because flights out of Rochester are often hard to get the evening after your interview (my sarcasm tells me that RST is a pretty big airport). As Nerday said, our policy that student hosts are only committed to host visiting students for the night preceding interview day; however, hosts can accomodate you for an additional day if they are able and willing.

Unfortunately, we will not know if your host is able to host you for the second night until after we match you with them (usually about a week before your interview). If you are requesting a two-night stay, we recommend that for the time being you make arrangements at a local hotel for the additional night you will be staying. If the student host is able to accommodate you for an additional night, you can cancel the hotel reservation–most hotels will allow you to cancel your reservation 24-48 hours prior to check-in time without penalty (and you should have an answer by that deadline).

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much! I cant wait 🙂
 
I got an LOR request email! As a data point for anyone else still waiting, I got a fee received email 8/19, and the LOR request 9/10.
 
got my LoR request on Sep 1. all letters are in AMCAS already. I thought it normally takes 10 days for the school to process our letters but I haven't heard any word yet. hope the process could go faster. love you, Mayo 😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
got my LoR request on Sep 1. all letters are in AMCAS already. I thought it normally takes 10 days for the school to process our letters but I haven't heard any word yet. hope the process could go faster. love you, Mayo 😍

It takes a while... I think it took 2 weeks to get the complete e-mail after my LORs were submitted.
 
I cannot wait to learn how to winterize my horse!!!!


When describing my interest in MMS, I told my fiance that she could pursue some oddball interest in a city like Rochester. Thing is, she's an electrical engineer and incredibly smart...but like everyone who has spent enough time with Maxwell's equations she has realized that there is something magical about things like winterizing horses, ghost hunting, chicken farming, and other Minnesotan activities. Personally, I am partial to "Spicy Foods in India" and the "Super Couponing Video Workshop." With those powers combined, I am Captain Planet!

For real though--I can't wait to check out Rochester. Love the outdoors and it sounds like heaven! Looking for a good place to go running this weekend before the interview...any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
For real though--I can't wait to check out Rochester. Love the outdoors and it sounds like heaven! Looking for a good place to go running this weekend before the interview...any suggestions?

There are miles and miles of running trails and some nice neighborhoods. I will totally go for a run with you this weekend if you're up for it. PM me with your email and we can go from there!
 
Hey guys my fee was received on 7/19 and I still have yet to hear anything (almost 2 months end of this week). I am also a reapplicant, however, so I'm thinking maybe they're holding off on my application. I received a LOR request last year.

Is anyone else still waiting from this long ago?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.