2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also check Southwest... they fly to MSP, but I was able to get back to MSP in time for my 6:00 flight. They fly out of LGA as well. From Dallas, my flight wasn't more than $300.


I was in the same boat--my flight was something like 6:30 p.m. out of MSP but I made it with plenty of time. Flew Delta and spent $206...it was a miracle fare (but then again I booked it the day I heard about my interview). Don't check a bag and its even less to worry about.

If you can fly Delta, they don't usually ask about a suit/dress/etc. if you have it in a light garment bag and treat it as a "hidden third" carry-on. For example, I often travel with an unbeatable carry-on bag (anything by travelpro: http://www.travelpro.com/viewByStyle.cfm?style=Carry-on Luggage#), a medium-weight backpack with a small pocket on the left shoulder strap, and then have my suit/shirt on a hangar hidden in a thin bag dangling from that pocket in the backpack. US Air has asked me (usually during the 2nd leg of a flight) to check the carry-on, but Delta never does.

Kinda veering off topic but it helped a lot when I went to Mayo. I was able to have a total of 3 hrs between the end of my interview and flight taking off, and i still managed to change clothes, re-pack, catch an 80 minute shuttle to MSP, and fly home praying to god i might someday hear good news from the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well this just sucks...still waiting for one of my references to re-send a letter since it wasn't signed. My other 2 referees already sent theirs in by email. I keep trying to contact this referee by e-mail by no reply and the deadline is Nov 15

It would just SUCK if I get rejected from here based on a letter not arriving by Nov 15
 
Fellow SDNers- I think I am right in saying that today is the next committee meeting to discuss acceptances/holds? I interviewed Oct. 15th and got my ranked email last week..
 
Fellow SDNers- I think I am right in saying that today is the next committee meeting to discuss acceptances/holds? I interviewed Oct. 15th and got my ranked email last week..

According to an earlier post, today should be a meeting day (assuming they meet Thursdays every other week with no changes). I also received my rank e-mail last week and was wondering if we'd hear back after this meeting...
 
According to an earlier post, today should be a meeting day (assuming they meet Thursdays every other week with no changes). I also received my rank e-mail last week and was wondering if we'd hear back after this meeting...

hey guys--

well the only thing is that today is Veteran's Day. Not sure if Mayo adcoms are taking the day off. I certainly hope we hear back soon (monday/tuesday) at least of where we are at!

PS-- I know they rank every other Thursdays, but I'm still unsure of when they decide hey we'll put you on hold or accept you...would there be any possibility that they already decided that when they ranked us back a week/two weeks ago?
 
It seems like AdCom has started meeting every Thursday. Word has it they will be meeting today, so we'll start getting emails tonight and through tomorrow.

So... let's get off SDN and go have a beer or something. Real talk.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like AdCom has started meeting every Thursday. Word has it they will be meeting today, so we'll start getting emails tonight and through tomorrow.

So... let's get off SDN and go have a beer or something. Real talk.

that's the things i like to hear! What better way to kick off veterans day
 
Hello crazy premeds of SDN world,

I'm KMO. I just thought after reading through this thread I'd finally chime in. It sure has been fun to read--usually I find SDN to be the most stressful/crazy place out there, but this thread is surprisingly fun to read! Lots of great information. Keep it up, and thanks for the advice from the class of 2014 crowd.

Letters requested on 9/10
Letters received on 10/15
Interview invite on 10/28
Next earliest interview date was 12/7--which is when I'll be there! (Well, a few days earlier than that I suppose) Guess I got in by the skin of my teeth, since Marcy claims the last interview date is like, 12/12 or 12/13.

Just for grins, 30S/3.8. I have a feeling the rec letters and the extracurriculars helped though, but I guess it's impossible to know.

Good luck to those of you still interviewing, and congratulations to those of you who were accepted!

-KMO
 
Just wanted to let everyone know that the class of 2014 has been and will be preoccupied for the better part of this upcoming week with 3 anatomy finals for which to prepare.

If you have an interview coming up this week and people seem a little busy this is why.

Also, the class of 2013 is now on selective time for the next two weeks, so most of those people have left for some well-deserved time off.

You might not hear as much from us on this forum or see many of us hanging around as a result, but if you have questions/need help while you are here we are more than willing to do what we can as time allows!

:luck: everyone!
 
Just wanted to let everyone know that the class of 2014 has been and will be preoccupied for the better part of this upcoming week with 3 anatomy finals for which to prepare.

If you have an interview coming up this week and people seem a little busy this is why.

Also, the class of 2013 is now on selective time for the next two weeks, so most of those people have left for some well-deserved time off.

You might not hear as much from us on this forum or see many of us hanging around as a result, but if you have questions/need help while you are here we are more than willing to do what we can as time allows!

:luck: everyone!
Good luck on your exams! 🙂
 
Ditto


Thx for the insight.

And holy cats! Eight inches of snow in st Paul today! It's like the universe givin us the full Monty on what Rochester entails.

snow! that'll be fun to see on interview day; it doesn't get that cold in the northwest until december hits!

do interviewees bundle up in down coats/trenches/scarves/gloves? I'm assuming that mayo is used to seeing applicants show up like that by now and that they'd rather have toasty warm, high-functioning applicants than half-frozen ones?
 
snow! that'll be fun to see on interview day; it doesn't get that cold in the northwest until december hits!

do interviewees bundle up in down coats/trenches/scarves/gloves? I'm assuming that mayo is used to seeing applicants show up like that by now and that they'd rather have toasty warm, high-functioning applicants than half-frozen ones?

Come with whatever you need to keep warm.

FYI--Rochester got spared this past week as far as snow was concerned. We only got a little bit of wet snow for our first snow, and it's all melted now. We've been pretty fortunate to have a very mild fall.
 
Come with whatever you need to keep warm.

FYI--Rochester got spared this past week as far as snow was concerned. We only got a little bit of wet snow for our first snow, and it's all melted now. We've been pretty fortunate to have a very mild fall.

thanks for the info! i looked up the forecast and it looks like there might be a light snowfall on wednesday. anyways, regardless of weather, i'm REALLY excited to be visiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OMG OMG OMG! I got in!

Happiest day of my life!

congrats! i can't even imagine the high you must be feeling right now.

how did your interview go? I'm visiting in a couple days and I'm super excited. I would give almost anything to be in your shoes in a couple months! 😀
 
thank you!!!! the feeling is absolutely amazing! I choked up when Marcy called and then totally started crying lol

I got a direct acceptance. I interviewed 11/5, ranked 11/11, accepted 11/15
 
Has anyone else been accepted yet? What about you Cole? Reason I'm asking is I have not gotten a call nor have I gotten a hold email, and I was ranked two weeks ago.
 
Oh man, this wait is crazy. Called the admissions office at 11:30 Eastern Time, and they said they were going to start sending calling people who had been accepted then. Migatz posted like twenty minutes later saying he or she had been accepted. I've been waiting for two hours since, and severe depression started setting in as I thought I had been placed on hold. I called again, and found out that everyone is on lunch break. This wait is driving me insane.
 
Oh man, this wait is crazy. Called the admissions office at 11:30 Eastern Time, and they said they were going to start sending calling people who had been accepted then. Migatz posted like twenty minutes later saying he or she had been accepted. I've been waiting for two hours since, and severe depression started setting in as I thought I had been placed on hold. I called again, and found out that everyone is on lunch break. This wait is driving me insane.

Congrats Migatz! I'm in the same boat as you, Mufti. It feels not great hahaha
 
How come there are people who interviewed in November already receiving decisions, yet there are people who interviewed in October who've still heard nothing (except ranked)?
 
I got an acceptance phone call around 11 am. I'm so excited. Congrats everyone else who has also been accepted and good luck to those still waiting.
 
Oh man, this wait is crazy. Called the admissions office at 11:30 Eastern Time, and they said they were going to start sending calling people who had been accepted then. Migatz posted like twenty minutes later saying he or she had been accepted. I've been waiting for two hours since, and severe depression started setting in as I thought I had been placed on hold. I called again, and found out that everyone is on lunch break. This wait is driving me insane.

I feel you dude. This is the one school I really want to go to. Here's an imaginary stiff drink to us both. :xf: I'm guessing they're probably done though - it's not like they're calling many people, and all the calls posted here were received in the morning if I remember correctly.
 
So pretty much on the verge of tears right now. Hold status 🙁 Interviewed 10/15. Never believed I would love a school as much as I do Mayo. 🙁🙁🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also hold status...interviewed 10/25 🙁

I really did fall in love with this school, but it's not too late. There's still hope! At least that's the attitude I'm having with this whole thing...congratulations to everyone who's been accepted and best of luck to those still waiting! I trust that Mayo knows what they're doing and if I'm not accepted, then it's only because I'm not meant to go there. Chins up everyone! 🙂
 
How come there are people who interviewed in November already receiving decisions, yet there are people who interviewed in October who've still heard nothing (except ranked)?

Yeah, I interviewed oct 29th and I have not yet received a ranked email yet? Does this mean my interviewers were not present during the meeting or is it a sign that something sinister is coming my way????
 
Also hold status...interviewed 10/25 🙁

I really did fall in love with this school, but it's not too late. There's still hope! At least that's the attitude I'm having with this whole thing...congratulations to everyone who's been accepted and best of luck to those still waiting! I trust that Mayo knows what they're doing and if I'm not accepted, then it's only because I'm not meant to go there. Chins up everyone! 🙂

Hah I interviewed 10/25 as well. Wonder who you are... 😉
 
Yeah, I interviewed oct 29th and I have not yet received a ranked email yet? Does this mean my interviewers were not present during the meeting or is it a sign that something sinister is coming my way????

Pretty sure it means nothing more other than that one of your interviewers hasn't been present at each of the meetings.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.