-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
700th post! Woohoo!
I think you got #701.... I think this thread is definitely getting quiet though haha. Hopefully that's not a bad sign...
I think you got #701.... I think this thread is definitely getting quiet though haha. Hopefully that's not a bad sign...
Looks like your right...fortunately counting is not a premed requirement. This thread has calmed down a bit though. I think people are finally getting mote of those 1:33 am emails and settling down a bit, or the Rochester cold is slowing things down.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like your right...fortunately counting is not a premed requirement. This thread has calmed down a bit though. I think people are finally getting mote of those 1:33 am emails and settling down a bit, or the Rochester cold is slowing things down.
This Minnesota Cold motif is worse than Beethoven's 5th symphony. Come on, how bad can it be? I've lived in Denver.
This Minnesota Cold motif is worse than Beethoven's 5th symphony. Come on, how bad can it be? I've lived in Denver.
You have ski mountains to escape to, mayo has ski "hills.". Used to live in CO myself but I don't know if it compares to January in rochester. Still, I love the cold and having a full four seasons!
You have ski mountains to escape to, mayo has ski "hills.". Used to live in CO myself but I don't know if it compares to January in rochester. Still, I love the cold and having a full four seasons!
I live in Oklahoma now - near the "rolling Osage Hills" the key to that phrase is "hills" as in they go up at least 50 and sometimes 75 feet!
Even ski "hills" seem nice. Do they have lifts also? If they are cheap, then it sounds like I would do more skiing in Minnesota than I did in Colorado - where I was unwilling to pay $1000 for a season pass for my family and then fight the traffic after that.
I'll be interviewing next Monday - the 4th. Is anyone meeting for coffee, drinks, etc, on Sunday night? I'm flying into Minneapolis, renting a car, and staying with a student host.
hey, i'll be interviewing on the 4th as well! see you then.
D
deleted332297
This Minnesota Cold motif is worse than Beethoven's 5th symphony. Come on, how bad can it be? I've lived in Denver.
My husband lived in Denver for a year, and grew up in Minnesota. It's way worse. January and February can regularly hit the -10 and -20 range, where you only get maybe one of those days in Denver. In Denver, you get snowfalls and the snow is usually mostly gone by the afternoon. In Minnesota, it sticks around all winter and turns into slush. In Minnesota, you are lucky if you get a day above freezing before March.
The ski hills are tiny runs, and a black diamond in Minnesota is comparable to a blue in Colorado. Nonetheless, there is a long skiing season.
Minnesota does make you really appreciate the spring! And the fall is absolutely gorgeous. Summer can get very sticky with the high humidity, which perhaps Oklahoma has some of but Colorado is nice and dry. The lakes are wonderful ways to cool off (although Olmsted county, where Rochester is, apparently doesn't have any natural lakes because of the lack of glaciation).
I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but CO knocks MN out of the park when it comes to winter weather. Minnesota has plenty of great outdoor experiences. Lots of lakes for canoeing and swimming and fishing (and the Boundary Waters especially for some nice camping). Lots of parks and green, open space. Lots of bike trails. The winter just isn't pretty -- although when the snow first falls, it can look mesmerizing. I could go on and on about plenty of cultural experiences as well -- Minnesota has a very high quality of life. It's just that stretch of January-mid March that can get a little dicey.
I hope you are visiting in about 2-4 weeks...the trees will be gorgeous!
Went home yesterday and saw a big envelope with Mayo Clinic on it ... I freaked out cuz i did not even interview so I was like its pretty obnoxious for a rejection mail... Then i looked at it, and it was my moms name on it asking her to do a mamogram or something. I was relieved it wasnt a rejection letter and same time disappointed it was not a communication from Mayo to me... On the envelope it said please respond in the next 10 days and i said to myself I wish your admissions responded to me that fast...lol
Heh, I'm constantly receiving mailings from medical schools just sending information about meetings, seminars, etc. They're just ads, and have nothing to do with my application, but I never fail to see the name/logo printed on the envelope first and get extremely excited and anxious for a moment. I never thought getting the mail would turn into such an emotional process.

Has anyone who received a LOR request in September hear back yet?
I'm still waiting for my LOR receipt email, and I received the request 9/10.
Thanks!
I'm still waiting for my LOR receipt email, and I received the request 9/10.
Thanks!
Has anyone who received a LOR request in September hear back yet?
I'm still waiting for my LOR receipt email, and I received the request 9/10.
Thanks!
you are on for more waiting. mine were just downloaded and the letters were in in 9/2 and the request was sent 7/31
I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but CO knocks MN out of the park when it comes to winter weather.
Actually, you sound more like Garrison Keillor. I can feel the Lutheranism creeping up on me.
D
deleted332297
Actually, you sound more like Garrison Keillor. I can feel the Lutheranism creeping up on me.
Ah, yes, Minnesota. All the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.
for those that want to know I got the letters received email today 🙂! Lor request 9/1.
I like how they put a timeline in the email by saying that reviewing will take up to 4 weeks. I was thinking it would take longer than that so I am happy I only have to wait around four weeks to hear back
I like how they put a timeline in the email by saying that reviewing will take up to 4 weeks. I was thinking it would take longer than that so I am happy I only have to wait around four weeks to hear back
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a 9/1 request too and also got the LOR received email today after much waiting. Does the 4 week screening period mean that after 4 weeks we will either be offered an interview or rejected?
I think that's what they mean but I would definitely anticipate a much longer time. I got the complete email 9/22 so I'll let you know when I hear
I was a 9/1 request too and also got the LOR received email today after much waiting. Does the 4 week screening period mean that after 4 weeks we will either be offered an interview or rejected?
I was a 9/10 request, and got the LOR received email just now. It doesn't mean much that they received the letters, of course, but I'm still excited to see some movement here!
Actually, you sound more like Garrison Keillor. I can feel the Lutheranism creeping up on me.
If I get an interview, I'm flying Lutheran Air.
http://bobmurriramblings.blogspot.com/2009/11/humor-lutheran-airlines-audio-only.html
I got this email today. Just wanted to double check - is this the same thing as the complete email?
Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file. Your application is in review and you will be notified as soon as the review is completed.
Sincerely,
Marcy Landswerk
Admissions
Mayo Medical School
[email protected]
My LOR request - 9/1
Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file. Your application is in review and you will be notified as soon as the review is completed.
Sincerely,
Marcy Landswerk
Admissions
Mayo Medical School
[email protected]
My LOR request - 9/1
I got this email today. Just wanted to double check - is this the same thing as the complete email?
Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file. Your application is in review and you will be notified as soon as the review is completed.
Sincerely,
Marcy Landswerk
Admissions
Mayo Medical School
[email protected]
My LOR request - 9/1
Yep. A little uneventful huh?
I got this email today. Just wanted to double check - is this the same thing as the complete email?
Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file. Your application is in review and you will be notified as soon as the review is completed.
Sincerely,
Marcy Landswerk
Admissions
Mayo Medical School
[email protected]
My LOR request - 9/1
I got this email today as well. What are the chances of being invited to interview?
Yep. A little uneventful huh?
After all that waiting...
jk, I'm still glad to get it 😳
After all that waiting...
jk, I'm still glad to get it 😳
Ya that was a pretty amazing day... One... step... closer...
Am I the only one who received a 9/10 LOR but hasn't received the "receipt" email? Should I start getting worried?
Am I the only one who received a 9/10 LOR but hasn't received the "receipt" email? Should I start getting worried?
I'm in the same boat.
If our letters of reference are already in AMCAS, why does Mayo need to send out requests for them?
Just as a courtesy to let u kno that you aremoving on to the next step. They do not read everyones letters only a selected number of applicants
Am I the only one who received a 9/10 LOR but hasn't received the "receipt" email? Should I start getting worried?
Hi, I called and I was informed that because they have a lot of applicants, they are still in the process of downloading our letters. The person who I spoke to was REALLY nice!! 🙂
She asked me to be patient and that we should be receiving notification soon. I hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much of an advantage is it to have done research at Mayo (their SURF program, for example)? Obviously it would help a person's application, but I am wondering if you all think it would be very significant or just a minor boost to one's application.
Thanks and good luck to everyone applying.
Thanks and good luck to everyone applying.
How much of an advantage is it to have done research at Mayo (their SURF program, for example)? Obviously it would help a person's application, but I am wondering if you all think it would be very significant or just a minor boost to one's application.
Thanks and good luck to everyone applying.
I think the only way something like this could be advantageous (at Mayo or any other school) would be if you got a great rec from a faculty member there. I don't think simply doing a program there is in and of itself helpful.
has anyone received an interview invite recently?
Last edited:
I think the only way something like this could be advantageous (at Mayo or any other school) would be if you got a great rec from a faculty member there. I don't think simply doing a program there is in and of itself helpful.
I agree that doing research at a school you're applying to isn't necessarily going to improve your chances of admission, unless the person you worked with is respected or otherwise has sway with the admissions committee. Even then, that probably only goes so far. But then again if that program you mentioned is particularly hard to complete or be chosen for, that might say something that only people at Mayo would know.
+1has anyone received an interview invite recently?
D
deleted332297
I paid the fee on 9/14, and no LOR yet. Has anyone else paid the fee in the last month? LOR yet or not?
It's probably a bad idea to start this trend lol... but it seems decisions come out in waves on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I think all of my notifications were on Thursdays.
How long does it typically take for someone to recieve an LOR request from the school?
I took me almost a month to the day from AMCAS submission (not verification) to when LORs were requested. I didn't get a request for a fee, as I'm applying on fee waivers. I completed AMCAS on 7/3 I think and got the LOR request 8/5? Something like that. But it seems things are running slower now, as the admissions office's work has probably only exponentially increased.
How much of an advantage is it to have done research at Mayo (their SURF program, for example)? Obviously it would help a person's application, but I am wondering if you all think it would be very significant or just a minor boost to one's application.
Thanks and good luck to everyone applying.
Plenty of people in my class did the SURF program or worked in one of the research programs. Me, on the other hand, got rejected 3 years in a row for SURF but still got into the medical school (yay!). I certainly wouldn't call it a crucial aspect of an application.
How much of an advantage is it to have done research at Mayo (their SURF program, for example)? Obviously it would help a person's application, but I am wondering if you all think it would be very significant or just a minor boost to one's application.
Thanks and good luck to everyone applying.
To my knowledge, five (out of 50) members of the newest MMS class participated in the SURF program. Two of these are among the 8 MD/PhD students and three are among the 42 MD-only students. I think one or two others in the class did research outside of the SURF program.
Getting a LOR from a Mayo faculty or doing the SURF program is not going to get you a free ticket in the door. Although some SURF students were admitted this past year, others were not. It may seem like an awfully high proportion of the class did the SURF program, but it is important to consider that programs like SURF are competitive themselves (something like only the top 10% of applicants to the SURF program are offered spots for the summer) so SURF participants are already made a huge cut by virtue of being selected for the program. Don't let a selection bias like this throw you off.
Participation in SURF won't help an application to Mayo by virtue of the applicant being "in the system" or "having connections on the inside" but participation may be seen as a strength on your application because it demonstrates that you had a quality research experience (which you could very well have gotten someplace other than Mayo). Don't get trapped into thinking that one component of your application is going to make or break you. Mayo takes a very holistic approach in their selection process and will look at you as a "whole person" when making decisions.
Anyone else thoroughly enjoy their interview day? I know I had a blast...meeting current students, touring the gigantic/beautiful clinic, learning about Mayo's unique features, and enjoying a great lunch. Definitely my top choice.
1 month now and still no LOR confirmation. Is it possible the adcoms forgot about mine?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took me almost a month to the day from AMCAS submission (not verification) to when LORs were requested. I didn't get a request for a fee, as I'm applying on fee waivers. I completed AMCAS on 7/3 I think and got the LOR request 8/5? Something like that. But it seems things are running slower now, as the admissions office's work has probably only exponentially increased.
Thanks for the info! Its probably going to be a loooong time before I hear back from them at this rate
Anyone else thoroughly enjoy their interview day? I know I had a blast...meeting current students, touring the gigantic/beautiful clinic, learning about Mayo's unique features, and enjoying a great lunch. Definitely my top choice.
+1
There's no place like Mayo!
everyone!Anyone else thoroughly enjoy their interview day? I know I had a blast...meeting current students, touring the gigantic/beautiful clinic, learning about Mayo's unique features, and enjoying a great lunch. Definitely my top choice.
I managed to work myself up into total hyperactive mode. Although I enjoyed meeting you afob, I can assure you that I don't normally talk that fast.
I've gone to lots and lots of interviews in my professional life and have always managed to win the job in each one. In this case, however, I wanted an acceptance there more than I have ever wanted any job for which I have interviewed. I should have done some relaxation exercises before I went in.
Mayo is incredible and I dearly hope that they can see past the spastic surface that I unfortunately showed.
Maybe you'll fill the "spastic student" slot?
Maybe you'll fill the "spastic student" slot?
Among the general population, I'm on the 99 percentile of hyperactivity. Among pre-meds? probably 60. I'm sure that there would be some competition for that particular chair.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.