2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd chime in for anyone getting disheartened: I'm 3.34, 30R, with good research. Fee received 9/17, LOR request 10/6. I guess I won't expect a LOR confirmation for a while longer.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about that "bad" MCAT score of a 30 😛

It's exciting going through this process with you guys! Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE! (anyone? Texans? come on.)
 
Just thought I'd chime in for anyone getting disheartened: I'm 3.34, 30R, with good research. Fee received 9/17, LOR request 10/6. I guess I won't expect a LOR confirmation for a while longer.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about that "bad" MCAT score of a 30 😛

It's exciting going through this process with you guys! Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE! (anyone? Texans? come on.)

Great attitude! I have the exact same timing. I think we can expect to hear about LOR confirmation about two weeks from now...I hope!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just thought I'd chime in for anyone getting disheartened: I'm 3.34, 30R, with good research. Fee received 9/17, LOR request 10/6. I guess I won't expect a LOR confirmation for a while longer.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about that "bad" MCAT score of a 30 😛

It's exciting going through this process with you guys! Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE! (anyone? Texans? come on.)
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about the 30 MCAT, I interviewed in early October and had an MCAT of 30 as well, unlike some schools Mayo really seems to care about the entire applicant, not just the numbers. In fact, when I interviewed they basically said that at that point they had already decided we all could handle the medical school classes and that numbers were not as important as who you are as a person/applicant. Good luck in the rest of your application process, hope you get an interview.
 
I actually chuckled to myself when I read this. Are you serious? For a possible future MD/PhD, you sure didn't do your research. Mayo is spectacular for research. I mean, common - go to PubMed or whatever engine you use and look up some researchers from the Mayo Clinic. If you come up with any specific research questions I'll forward them to some of our beloved MD/PhD students, but do a little research first.

Fair enough. I just wish they'd improve their website a bit to reflect that. If a school really does emphasize research, they should make it obvious without me having to turn to pubmed.
 
Fair enough. I just wish they'd improve their website a bit to reflect that. If a school really does emphasize research, they should make it obvious without me having to turn to pubmed.

I'm glad that you are so concerned about research. I would hate for someone to have to search for information about it. Searching for research information should be obvious and easy - like finding the cure for cancer, for instance.
 
Just thought I'd chime in for anyone getting disheartened: I'm 3.34, 30R, with good research. Fee received 9/17, LOR request 10/6. I guess I won't expect a LOR confirmation for a while longer.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about that "bad" MCAT score of a 30 😛

It's exciting going through this process with you guys! Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE! (anyone? Texans? come on.)
So true. My MCAT is around 30 with GPA < 3.6 and I got an interview invite. There is so much more to an applicant than numbers and Mayo must be looking for exactly that.

I'm a dork and an unapologetic Katy Perry fan, so whenever I need a little boost I listen to "Firework" (this is an awesome cover BTW)

Hope it will help someone else too ...

http://youtu.be/4pV0rqqrBAA
 
I'm glad that you are so concerned about research. I would hate for someone to have to search for information about it. Searching for research information should be obvious and easy - like finding the cure for cancer, for instance.

Okay, okay, okay. Interview season is not fun, but can we please not make this worse than it has to be? I'm not stoked about an 8-hour plane flight, that's all I was saying. (Plus Mayo is unranked on USNWR, not that I put that much stake in it, but it was a bit confusing.) I don't mean to insult anyone.
 
Okay, okay, okay. Interview season is not fun, but can we please not make this worse than it has to be? I'm not stoked about an 8-hour plane flight, that's all I was saying. (Plus Mayo is unranked on USNWR, not that I put that much stake in it, but it was a bit confusing.) I don't mean to insult anyone.

Mayo chooses to be unranked.
 
Okay, okay, okay. Interview season is not fun, but can we please not make this worse than it has to be? I'm not stoked about an 8-hour plane flight, that's all I was saying. (Plus Mayo is unranked on USNWR, not that I put that much stake in it, but it was a bit confusing.) I don't mean to insult anyone.

Ok, I forget that I'm dealing with kids barely out of their teens here.

For the historically challenged, if the history of medical advances were a sandwich, it would be a Mayo sandwich with a little Harvard and Hopkins on the side.

Mayo is the place in the U.S. where people want to be if they have the most challenging pathologies and want the most up-to-date treatment. The students there are taught by world-renowned doctors who are healing people while teaching students, not some egg-head MD/PhD who happens to look at a patient occasionally.
 
Wasn't Mayo ranked 22 the year before? Why did they choose to be unranked this year?

Here it is in a nutshell:

The system by which USNews ranks schools is completely biased against what it is that Mayo medical school offers due to the fact that, unlike most other schools, MMS is basically incorporated into the clinic rather than being its own entity or being a part of or connected with a large undergraduate institution. This sets the school up for being slammed come rankings time for things that have little to nothing to do with the reality of the quality of the medical school.

For example, library space for students is considered, and while the library space within the actual medical school building is rather small, students have access to MUCH more library space in other parts of the clinic. As a result, Mayo gets punished because only space within the walls of the "school" are considered.

Also, Mayo doesn't really need the rankings. Just like it doesn't need AOA. Just like it doesn't depend primarily on government funding like some places. Etc., etc.

You can search the forum for more info, but let's just say that the Clinic gave its blessing when the school admin. wanted to leave the rankings system. And it hasn't hurt them one little bit. I was proud when Mayo went through with this decision, and I don't think it will do anything but help the school to attain it's mission.
 
Ok, I forget that I'm dealing with kids barely out of their teens here.

I would like to point out that some of my most mature, intelligent, and capable classmates (I'm a 29 year old former teacher) are straight out of school.

Let's keep it clean. 🙂
 
I would like to point out that some of my most mature, intelligent, and capable classmates (I'm a 29 year old former teacher) are straight out of school.

Let's keep it clean. 🙂

Ok, I'm sorry. The maturity that would teach someone to at least do a google search on a school before applying isn't age dependent.
 
For example, library space for students is considered, and while the library space within the actual medical school building is rather small,

But I liked the library. It had everything it needed: Every season of scrubs, every season of House MD, every season of Grey's Anatomy...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But I liked the library. It had everything it needed: Every season of scrubs, every season of House MD, every season of Grey's Anatomy...

Yeah, but you've got to remember that the people who make these decisions are more into ER during the Clooney years. They may have even taken a couple of points off for having all of House...
 
Fair enough. I just wish they'd improve their website a bit to reflect that. If a school really does emphasize research, they should make it obvious without me having to turn to pubmed.

There are two objects of medical education: To heal the sick and to advance the science.

&#8212; Charles Mayo

Collected Papers of the Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation (1913).
 
I would like to point out that some of my most mature, intelligent, and capable classmates (I'm a 29 year old former teacher) are straight out of school.

Let's keep it clean. 🙂


Really, you shouldn't have. You flatter me. Stop it.

Haha, this coming from the chick who skipped out on the histology final review to (successfully) stalk out Patch Adams. At this point I guess I'm better at comedy than I am at histology. Maturity at its finest.
 
Really, you shouldn't have. You flatter me. Stop it.

Haha, this coming from the chick who skipped out on the histology final review to (successfully) stalk out Patch Adams. At this point I guess I'm better at comedy than I am at histology. Maturity at its finest.

Well, I did say SOME of the most mature...

😀
 
Okay, okay, okay. Interview season is not fun, but can we please not make this worse than it has to be? I'm not stoked about an 8-hour plane flight, that's all I was saying. (Plus Mayo is unranked on USNWR, not that I put that much stake in it, but it was a bit confusing.) I don't mean to insult anyone.

I still think you're a troll, not deserving of attention. However, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll answer you.

First of all, why the hell did you apply to a program that you're not even sure you would bother interviewing at if invited? Secondly, once you got an invitation, and began to have your doubts, did you try, for example, typing "mayo research" into google, and seeing what came up? Did you really just look at US News and World Report's rankings, find nothing, and then start asking people on an anonymous internet forum? You didn't look at their website, talk to a mentor, read one of their brochures? Did you even read through any previous posts in this very thread before spewing your lazy drivel into it, expecting complete strangers to do everything for you?

Given that you clearly haven't made the slightest semblance of an effort to figure this out for yourself, I'll give you my advice. Mayo is terrible for research. It was a mistake for you to ever apply. It's bad enough that you already wasted money on the secondary fee - don't waste your time or the money for a plane ticket.
 
Well, I did say SOME of the most mature...

😀

Bamtuba and Nerday Shortay : i was excited for Mayo before but now that I've been following this thread more closely, you guys are making me so much more super duper excited for my interview!!! 😀
 
Ok, I'm sorry. The maturity that would teach someone to at least do a google search on a school before applying isn't age dependent.

I really wanted to let this go, but you're making it tough. You don't know anything about me, so it's fairly insulting that you think you can judge my maturity based on fewer than 100 words in an internet forum. I was hoping for a quick opinion, not an arraignment.

On the other hand, you've convinced me. Maybe I'll run into you when I'm on camus for interviews.
 
I'll just say that before my Mayo interview I really didn't know THAT much about the place, and even told this to my interviewers.

Things have worked out for me fairly well, so if anyone is interested in checking the place out, then by all means do it. And don't let random internet squabbles among interviewees put a bad taste in your mouth. Come meet the students and then make up your mind.

I mean, there is a reason people come to interviews in person...

:luck: everyone!
 
Bamtuba and Nerday Shortay : i was excited for Mayo before but now that I've been following this thread more closely, you guys are making me so much more super duper excited for my interview!!! 😀

Just don't set yourself up for a let down once you actually meet us in person. We're much more non-interesting than we act here. Totally boring people in real life. Just sayin'

🙂
 
Just don't set yourself up for a let down once you actually meet us in person. We're much more non-interesting than we act here. Totally boring people in real life. Just sayin'

🙂

I didn't meet anyone who knows you, Bam. But the reports about the short one make her sound fun and interesting.
 
I really wanted to let this go, but you're making it tough. You don't know anything about me, so it's fairly insulting that you think you can judge my maturity based on fewer than 100 words in an internet forum. I was hoping for a quick opinion, not an arraignment.

On the other hand, you've convinced me. Maybe I'll run into you when I'm on camus for interviews.

@KPCOFGS: I promise you it's an amazing place, unlike anywhere else. Heh, once you get there you'll see why people are this proud to work/go to school at Mayo. Please be assured, the students there are incredibly welcoming. I spent some time there this summer, and 1st years through 4th years, MD and MD/PhD alike, they all rock. The school's philosophy of care and education, too, is really special.

Maybe I shouldn't be talking it up since I haven't been accepted yet and technically you're my competition, but that's kind of the spirit of Mayo. Let's all hug.
 
Folks, its not really a big deal if KPCOFGS asked whether mayo is known for research. I know, it strikes deep to me as well when someone asks me what is my top choice for medical school, and I say mayo, and am faced with a blank stare. People expect me to say Harvard or Hopkins, or Penn, but many people don't know about Mayo, (at least the medical school, and some of the really ignorant ones don't even know of the institution as a whole). I think that it also has to do with the region. I'm in the Northeast (NJ/NY area), and Mayo is quite a distance away, so when most people think of a hospital here, its Mass General or the Hopkins hospital. So just forget it if someone asks what i thought was an innocuous question, really. That's not the attitude Mayo espouses anyway, right? 🙂
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Folks, its not really a big deal if KPCOFGS asked whether mayo is known for research. I know, it strikes deep to me as well when someone asks me what is my top choice for medical school, and I say mayo, and am faced with a blank stare. People expect me to say Harvard or Hopkins, or Penn, but many people don't know about Mayo, (at least the medical school, and some of the really ignorant ones don't even know of the institution as a whole). I think that it also has to do with the region. I'm in the Northeast (NJ/NY area), and Mayo is quite a distance away, so when most people think of a hospital here, its Mass General or the Hopkins hospital. So just forget it if someone asks what i thought was an innocuous question, really. That's not the attitude Mayo espouses anyway, right? 🙂

That's one of the only "down sides" of Mayo, at least for me. Coming from the east coast I got ridiculed for turning down biggies like Jizzles Hopkizzle, but I favored the Mayo hugs over the cut throat fun at other schools. We are like a family here, and that is coming from a cynical person (would not say it if it weren't true). Also, Mayo seems to attract more level headed people who are able to turn down the allure of more popular names in favor of an arguably better education (but I'm not trying to start a fight over which school has the best education, so don't go there!).
 
Also, Mayo seems to attract more level headed people who are able to turn down the allure of more popular names in favor of an arguably better education (but I'm not trying to start a fight over which school has the best education, so don't go there!).

I think if people did their research, it would not even be a contentious point about Mayo being a better school. During my interview there, I asked Dr. Joseph Grande, who is the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, about Mayo M2 students' USMLE step 1 average, and he said its 239. That's in the ninetieth percentile, far above the national average of around 220. And that's just looking at the numbers, which Mayo tries to go beyond. So certainly, Mayo's unique method of education is just proving itself, and I think it is only a matter of time before it becomes just as well known as the big East Coast schools.
 
Just don't set yourself up for a let down once you actually meet us in person. We're much more non-interesting than we act here. Totally boring people in real life. Just sayin'

🙂


😍 Wow. And you're humble too!

Hahaha - all jokes aside, Mayo does sound like an awesome place to be and an amazing medical school. I am so, so unbelievably excited to have the chance to interview here!
 
My LOR were received 9/23... and still nothing. Any one from then (or beforehand) in a similar situation? I'm trying to be patient 🙂
 
Don't worry too much Bulldog. There are a bunch of us with 9/9 LOR received that still haven't heard back, so I believe they are just backed up. I can totally understand your desire to hear something though! I woke up early this morning to check if they sent anything-- but just random club/school emails. 🙁

Here's to hoping to hearing something soon (and hopefully good)! :luck:
 
Got the rejection just now. LORs received sept 23 or so. Best of luck to all those waiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the rejection just now. LORs received sept 23 or so. Best of luck to all those waiting.
same here They are going throuhg it so fast now that they have few spots oh well... its the end of the road...Still love the school but will love the one i will attend better lol
 
LOR request was sent on 9/10 but haven't received a LOR receipt email yet. :xf:that i'll hear soon.

I talked to Marcy on Wednesday....I had a 9/14 LOR request, and she said that those would be in the next batch *probably* to be downloaded next week. She said there were ~200 letters in front of it. (I would assume that the next batch would be the early to mid-September requests)
I'm hoping for next week, but it didn't sound like an absolute thing.
:luck:!
 
They confirmed my letters were received and my app was in the review pile on August 31st, but still no word. They said it would be 4-6 weeks from the 31st til I heard back but nada thus far. Any reason to worry?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.