2010-2011 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I need an opinion here. For the essay prompt on your interest in choosing NYU, would it be appropriate to talk about:

-How I feel deeply connected to the school, being born in NYU/Tisch Medical center

-How NYU has been a part of my family history for generations (Dad in medical school, Grandfather undergrad)

-How I have seen firsthand what their medical education has provided my own dad... lasting friendships, a close bond with the faculty, great career opportunities...the honor of delivering me in the very own place he trained?

I tried not to make it sound "deserved" or a right of passage...just a genuine deep connection I feel because of it's history with my family. The last thing I would want to convey is "Oh I have legacy here...I should be admitted." Because that's not how I feel at all!

But I would feel ashamed if I didn't mention any of those! Is it something most people would talk about if they had that kind of connection?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I need an opinion here. For the essay prompt on your interest in choosing NYU, would it be appropriate to talk about:

-How I feel deeply connected to the school, being born in NYU/Tisch Medical center
This doesn't make any sense to me. Unless there were special circumstances related to your birth.

is the langone medical center also affiliated with the med school (and thus would it make sense to mention it in the essay?)? cuz i didnt c it in the handbook under facilities...

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't make any sense to me. Unless there were special circumstances related to your birth.

How does it not make sense to you? If you were born in a certain community wouldn't you feel some sort of desire to one day return their? Just a thought anyway...I don't have to include it.

To be honest I was looking for a more helpful and constructive criticism, not a flat remark.

And to soccer: From my understanding the affiliated hospitals pretty much connect to the medical school. I could be wrong but it would make sense. (Under the langone website there is a tab for education and the link for admissions to the medical school)

How does it not make sense to you? If you were born in a certain community wouldn't you feel some sort of desire to one day return their? Just a thought anyway...I don't have to include it.

To be honest I was looking for a more helpful and constructive criticism, not a flat remark.

And to soccer: From my understanding the affiliated hospitals pretty much connect to the medical school. I could be wrong but it would make sense. (Under the langone website there is a tab for education and the link for admissions to the medical school)

Damn, I wish I was born at Massachusetts General so I could write about my deep connection to Harvard. :rolleyes:

-How NYU has been a part of my family history for generations (Dad in medical school, Grandfather undergrad)
- Yeah, this could be worth mentioning, but only because...
-How I have seen firsthand what their medical education has provided my own dad... lasting friendships, a close bond with the faculty, great career opportunities...the honor of delivering me in the very own place he trained?
... of THIS. "I want to go to NYU because Daddy did" isn't a good explanation, but "I want to go to NYU because I've seen the associated benefits" makes sense.

- no, I wouldn't dwell on this. Maybe mention it, but no more. Even if you believe, "If you were born in a certain community wouldn't you feel some sort of desire to one day return their?" you risk sounding more like a salmon than a person who has legitimate reasons for applying.

is the langone medical center also affiliated with the med school (and thus would it make sense to mention it in the essay?)? cuz i didnt c it in the handbook under facilities...

Where can this handbook be found? I think I have looked at every link on the website twice- maybe I am missing it. Thanks!

what category would emergency medicine fall under? Public health?

I DID find that the Kahn Learning and Teaching Center features "movable tables" to improve flexibility. This will definitely be a selling point for me! Hah

Where can this handbook be found? I think I have looked at every link on the website twice- maybe I am missing it. Thanks!

I was missing it- found it now though! Nevermind!

I wouldn't base your whole essay on having those ties to NYU, but I don't see anything wrong with mentioning it. I'm planning on doing the same sort of thing for one of the schools I'm applying to.

Edit: submitted at last! pleaaaaase love me, NYU. :D

regardless of its ranking, people still recognize nyu as a a very prestigious med school.

I have a question to anyone who goes to NYU...

Is their a community type feel between students and faculty?? what about the rest of nyu? does the med school do anything with the rest of NYU

1) No
2) Definitely NOT
3) They all graduate at Yankee stadium..

Despite this, NYC> the world

Members don't see this ad :)
- Yeah, this could be worth mentioning, but only because...

... of THIS. "I want to go to NYU because Daddy did" isn't a good explanation, but "I want to go to NYU because I've seen the associated benefits" makes sense.

- no, I wouldn't dwell on this. Maybe mention it, but no more. Even if you believe, "If you were born in a certain community wouldn't you feel some sort of desire to one day return their?" you risk sounding more like a salmon than a person who has legitimate reasons for applying.

Haha thanks for the post, it was funny :rolleyes:. Exactly the reason why I posted it up here. I DO NOT want anyone reading my explanation thinking it's because "daddy" went to school there. I've seen a great amount of how the school works and I just felt it might be a unique opportunity to mention it somewhere. Definitely don't want to preach a whole essay about it. And I could honestly ditch the being born part. I'm no more entitled than anyone else!

Haha to the comment above: Mass General? Interesting. I was weak about the idea anyway but this is the point of SDN...throw up your thoughts for open criticism. Everyone's got a valid point. Now I know how most feel.

Good luck to everyone applying!!!

Last edited:
What I was trying to say, is that being born in a particular hospital really does not mean anything to most people. If you were a women who gave birth in that hospital, and the care was so great..... then that is a legitimate connection. Now, if you had special circumstances relating to your birth for whatever reasons, then that is something that might be relevant.

I think it looks bad to make things seem more than they are. I had genetic testing done at NYU (and this is something that is kind of specific to NYU), and I thought mentioning it would be weak. Focus on why the school would want you in their class. But the family thing is more than fine to mention.

"NYU Medical Center" = Tisch Hospital + Rusk Rehab Institute.

In 2008, they added "Langone" after he donated lots of $$ to make it "NYU LMC"

Bellevue is connected & a main med student/resident training ground, but a public hospital belonging to HHC.

There's also the HJD & VA affiliation w/ NYU, which are a little downtown, and thus not part of the NYU LMC.

Bottom line = baller clinical opportunities, and great views of Macy's Fireworks (when they return to the East River)

What I was trying to say, is that being born in a particular hospital really does not mean anything to most people. If you were a women who gave birth in that hospital, and the care was so great..... then that is a legitimate connection. Now, if you had special circumstances relating to your birth for whatever reasons, then that is something that might be relevant.

I think it looks bad to make things seem more than they are. I had genetic testing done at NYU (and this is something that is kind of specific to NYU), and I thought mentioning it would be weak. Focus on why the school would want you in their class. But the family thing is more than fine to mention.

I got you the first time ;) And trust me I agree. I put it out there to convince myself I wouldn't be a fool to leave it out.

just submitted today. didn't get a confirmation email or anything but it says "submitted' when i log back in, and that they'll be in touch with me in 4-6 weeks..hmmm

just submitted today. didn't get a confirmation email or anything but it says "submitted' when i log back in, and that they'll be in touch with me in 4-6 weeks..hmmm

I got a complete email like 9 days later if that helps?

i'm also curious about this.....anyone? i was thinking of putting "other" but want to make sure i don't choose the wrong option

I don't think Emergency Medicine is considered public health. If it isn't explicitly listed, I would just put other.

Are there any official postings about the new curriculum yet? I'm trying to elaborate on my "why nyu" essay and the website definitely lacks in some details about the program.

how long does it take them to receive letters after assigning them? I feel like its been kinda long and Im still incomplete because of it

how long does it take them to receive letters after assigning them? I feel like its been kinda long and Im still incomplete because of it

How do you tell if they have your letters? Does it say something on the status page? Mine currently says "Application in Process- You should hear from our office within 4-6 weeks."

How do you tell if they have your letters? Does it say something on the status page? Mine currently says "Application in Process- You should hear from our office within 4-6 weeks."

hmm I think that's what mine used to say. now mine has been updated to:

Application Complete-Under Review.

so maybe that's when they've received the letters?

hmm I think that's what mine used to say. now mine has been updated to:

Application Complete-Under Review.

so maybe that's when they've received the letters?

My app has the "Under Review" label as well.

Same here, I submitted 7/18 and am still incomplete. Mine says:

"Your current application status is: Application Incomplete-Missing Letters- Your application will be complete once we receive your letters. ."

"Your current application status is: Application Incomplete-Missing Letters- Your application will be complete once we receive your letters. ."

yeah I have that too-- and I submitted letters for this school before I did for other schools and the other schools marked them as received sooner. Ill give them a call tomorrow

Can anyone comment on the volunteer opportunities at NYU? I'm having trouble finding any information on this on the website. Is it just me or is the NYU website poorly organized and less than stellar?

where is the status page? is it the same link as the secondary?

Can anyone comment on the volunteer opportunities at NYU? I'm having trouble finding any information on this on the website. Is it just me or is the NYU website poorly organized and less than stellar?

I know that there is a free clinic, and new students have the opportunity to check it out during orientation.

The NYU website sucks, one of the worst I have ever seen.

Hey guys, was there an essay for the NYU secondary? I can't seem to figure it out and I haven't received anything from them yet!

nvm... didn't see it on the page before!

I know that there is a free clinic, and new students have the opportunity to check it out during orientation.

The NYU website sucks, one of the worst I have ever seen.
Haha, check out SLU's website, it makes NYU's website look amazingly well organized.

Just out of curiosity, is MCAT considered Academic Record?

there is info about the new curriculum in an academic newsletter you canr each from a link on their homepage I believe...it seems to be more current than the info on the website itself.

Here you go: http://newsandviews.med.nyu.edu/curriculum-21st-century

It pays to click around...

Even that is a year old.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything about the new curric on their site anywhere...my friend who is matriculating there in the fall said the class of 2014 will be the first one w/ a 1.5 year pre-clinical curric. Hopefully there'll be an August 2010 newsletter & we'll all get to find out what the deal is...

Does anyone know whether the MD office has access to the MD/PhD essays on the AMCAS? I applied MD/PhD at NYU but it seems like the MSTP office and MD office are separate, since the MSTP wants letters different from the med school. There's also a separate MSTP secondary.

The reason I ask is because of the 2nd essay on the secondary, I selected academic medicine. However, my rationale for wanting to purse a career in academic medicine has already been discussed in the "why md/phd?" AMCAS essay. Thus I was wondering if I would be able to use ideas from that essay.

On the courses part of the secondary, what is the number of credits?

Is it 4 (as in 4 hours)
or is it one (as in one class)

hours dont show up on my transcript

On the courses part of the secondary, what is the number of credits?

Is it 4 (as in 4 hours)
or is it one (as in one class)

hours dont show up on my transcript

4 as in 4 credit hours. so whatever number shows up on your transcript is the number you input on the secondary.

is any1 else still having this problem, i submitted on the same day?

My status says the same thing and my letters have been in for awhile to AMCAS.. hmm

Call them. I called them yesterday and they were like "oh yeah, we have your letters I'll mark you complete right now"

what is the message it says after your complete? is it:

Application in Process- You should hear from our office within 4-6 weeks..

I submitted 7/30 and had that message show up like right after, but my materials were sent much earlier.

Which one is further along? "Application Complete-Under Review" or "you should hear in 4-6 weeks"?

Under review is further along. I had the 4-6 week thing for awhile and it recently changed to under review.

Does anyone know whether the MD office has access to the MD/PhD essays on the AMCAS? I applied MD/PhD at NYU but it seems like the MSTP office and MD office are separate, since the MSTP wants letters different from the med school. There's also a separate MSTP secondary.

The reason I ask is because of the 2nd essay on the secondary, I selected academic medicine. However, my rationale for wanting to purse a career in academic medicine has already been discussed in the "why md/phd?" AMCAS essay. Thus I was wondering if I would be able to use ideas from that essay.
It's funny you should ask, they're in the same offices, diff't directors obv. They certainly communicate; I am not sure if both get your entire app...but I do think so.
If the essays, overlap, don't repeat verbatim but yes, it's ok to repeat a sentiment as long as it pertains to the specific question being asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.