2010-2011 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said there wasn't; I went to undergrad in Tucson, I know there are things to do. I simply said there was more/better things to do in Phoenix, as explained above.

Let's find some common ground guys- Phoenix and Tucson are both waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Flagstaff!!!!!

*Cue Brrroooother explosion in 5...4...2...1...*

(just kidding I like Flagstaff better than Tucson lolololololol)

Members don't see this ad.

I never said there wasn't; I went to undergrad in Tucson, I know there are things to do. I simply said there was more/better things to do in Phoenix, as explained above.

I know you didn't say that. This whole discussion is pointless, because "better" in this situation is completely subjective. Its like people saying how awesome California is, when I think it completely sucks. That's just my opinion. Anyways, there is more than enough things to do in Tucson for me, and frankly that's all I care about. More on topic with this thread, I was also trying to say that for applicants trying to decide which campus to apply to, that it is absolutely worth it to apply to Tucson. They may come down here and choose it over the Phoenix campus like I did. Or they may decide Phoenix is better for them, like Shep did. Hell, this is the same reason some people out there choose their state school over a med school ranked in the top 5. Its all about the right fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's find some common ground guys- Phoenix and Tucson are both waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Flagstaff!!!!!

*Cue Brrroooother explosion in 5...4...2...1...*

(just kidding I like Flagstaff better than Tucson lolololololol)

HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY wait a sec (sorry, Shep, late on the explosion)!!!!! FLAGSTAFF IS WWWWAAAAAAYYYYY BETTER than any other place in this state! I can't wait to get out of central/southern AZ and back to the north, or I'll leave the state completely! Sure, more stuff to do down here if you have no love of nature and need all the city crap!! I LOVE FLAGSTAFF!!! (Thanks, Shep, now I'm awake and ready for the school day!)

I know you didn't say that. This whole discussion is pointless, because "better" in this situation is completely subjective. Its like people saying how awesome California is, when I think it completely sucks. That's just my opinion. Anyways, there is more than enough things to do in Tucson for me, and frankly that's all I care about. More on topic with this thread, I was also trying to say that for applicants trying to decide which campus to apply to, that it is absolutely worth it to apply to Tucson. They may come down here and choose it over the Phoenix campus like I did. Or they may decide Phoenix is better for them, like Shep did. Hell, this is the same reason some people out there choose their state school over a med school ranked in the top 5. Its all about the right fit.

Oh my god, you guys are saying the same thing, LET IT GO! ;)

I got my invite today, too and really like the information provided on the website to plan the day. Maybe it's me, but I feel "warm and fuzzy" with the invitation, very welcoming. Looking forward to the interviews (multiple med interview)...how much is "multiple"? :confused:

Oh my god, you guys are saying the same thing, LET IT GO! ;)

We weren't saying the same thing. Slack3r was saying Phoenix is better, and I was saying that such assessments are completely subjective and thus pointless to make. Regardless, I've let it go. The only reason I come to this thread is to see how the application process is proceeding at UA and give any advice I may have from last year (also the occasional BS post). I don't have the time or energy to waste on pointless SDN debates.

Yea...I just got it, too.

Finally got a Phoenix interview! complete 7/21, invite today

I got my invite today, too and really like the information provided on the website to plan the day. Maybe it's me, but I feel "warm and fuzzy" with the invitation, very welcoming. Looking forward to the interviews (multiple med interview)...how much is "multiple"? :confused:

What's your guys' residency status?

A hearty congratulations to everyone who received an interview today and I'm sure for those of you who didn't it's on its' way. I'm glad that you've detected the first trace of the "warm-n-fuzzies" in the interview invite alone, and just know that it's a feeling that is magnified times a jabillion once you actually show up here on campus. We all WANT you to be here with us. If you guys want to chill or anything after/before your interview feel free to PM me or flag me down on your interview day. I'm the unofficial school mascot, so I'm dressed up as our class animal for lecture every day. It's hard to miss me.

Yaaaaaaay Phoenix! Go Fighting Mongooses!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone tell me what is the closest hotel to the UMC in Tucson? Don't matter if its pricey. Too young to rent a car, so I need to be in walking distance to my interview.
Thanks!

Could someone tell me what is the closest hotel to the UMC in Tucson? Don't matter if its pricey. Too young to rent a car, so I need to be in walking distance to my interview.
Thanks!

I'm not sure where the nearest hotel is, but I'm sure you can call up admissions and ask them. Also, you may be able to rent a car and not know it. I rented a car last year when I interviewed at Iowa, and I was 22 that point in time (although I think the minimum was 21). I was also surprised to find out that they did not charge a fee for me being under 25, so it may very well be worth it to look in to depending on your situation. Are you flying to Tucson, or catching a shuttle down from Phoenix? I don't know how OOS people usually do it since I lived in Tempe and just drove.

Oh and I forgot to say congrats earlier to the people with the recent Phoenix interview invites, so congrats. Do those start around September 6th?

Last edited:
Thanks!

I was able to rent a car for my Phoenix interview last year and I was under the age of 25. I suspect you would be able to do the same for Tucson. I must say, though, it was quite pricey (I don't remember the exact number) and I remember wishing I had asked my friend to shuttle me around instead. Look up some car rental places and give them a ring.

For the PHX secondary question...

"We are interested to know if you have previously applied to The University of Arizona College of Medicine (Phoenix or Tucson) and how you have remained focused on your pursuit of becoming a physician during the time in between applications."

Do you think that this question is ONLY for reapplicants, or do they want people who are taking a gap year to answer the latter part, as well?

I would assume it's only for reapplicants since it concludes with "between applications," but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

The four points sheraton on Speedway and Campbell is a five minute walk away. It is definately the closest.

The four points sheraton on Speedway and Campbell is a five minute walk away. It is definately the closest.

It's literally across the street. The Arizona Inn is way nicer and is less than 0.5 mile away. There's also the Marriott on University and Park which isn't too bad of a walk.

And don't forget about the nice motels around miracle mile (just in case you are looking for a cheaper place to stay :D).

Hey guys! New to SDN, so I just wanted to say congrats to everyone who has been invited for an interview so far. I too will be interviewing at Tucson and Phoenix in September! The only bummer is that I have to fly out from DC for each individual interview....getting so broke.

Hey guys! New to SDN, so I just wanted to say congrats to everyone who has been invited for an interview so far. I too will be interviewing at Tucson and Phoenix in September! The only bummer is that I have to fly out from DC for each individual interview....getting so broke.

Hey! Welcome to the coolest thread on SDN. Arizona's a long way to come from DC but I think you'll be very happy you did :) Good luck!

Congrats to everyone with interview invites! I think I'm getting nostalgic . . . :cool: Those were good days.

I just wanted share some info from the previous round to anyone who's a first time applicant. The WL moved 73 spots. Come the end of March I'll be asking for a volunteer to keep track of WL movement. Good luck to everyone! If you have any interview questions/concerns, make them known.

2010+WL_22.jpg

Congrats and welcome! Are you in-state?

Thanks mymembernames and shepardson! Yes, I am in-state. I grew up in AZ and attended ASU. I am doing a post-bacc in Washington, DC throughout this cycle.

Thanks for posting that graph MIR. Good to know that the WL moved that much.

It's literally across the street. The Arizona Inn is way nicer and is less than 0.5 mile away. There's also the Marriott on University and Park which isn't too bad of a walk.

Arizona Inn is kind of pricey though...

Thanks for the hotel advise! I'll look into the car rental. I hope I get a phx interview soon too so I can kill two birds with one stone :)

Congrats to everyone with interview invites! I think I'm getting nostalgic . . . :cool: Those were good days.

I just wanted share some info from the previous round to anyone who's a first time applicant. The WL moved 73 spots. Come the end of March I'll be asking for a volunteer to keep track of WL movement. Good luck to everyone! If you have any interview questions/concerns, make them known.

2010+WL_22.jpg

The header says "tucson" - is this the case?

The header says "tucson" - is this the case?

Yes. Unfortunately for you all as applicants Phoenix does not rank its waitlist or release much information about it. Having an unranked waitlist is easier on the school though, and it gives them more freedom to decide who they want to replace a particular individual with. On the other hand as an applicant it just sucks because you don't know if you even have a chance of getting off the list. With a ranked waitlist you can almost consider yourself accepted if you have a low number, or conversely if your number is really high you can pretty much treat it as a rejection.

2010+WL_22.jpg

Do they really offer acceptances all the way up until orientation? That seems like a huge pain in the ass to find out last minute like that.

Thanks for posting that graph MIR. Good to know that the WL moved that much.

Be careful, numbers can be deceiving. Keep in mind that only 88 IS students were accepted this year, as opposed to 115 the previous years, and there were a decent amount of OOS students on the waitlist. Also Tucson does not separate out IS and OOS students on the waitlist like phoenix does.

Be careful, numbers can be deceiving. Keep in mind that only 88 IS students were accepted this year, as opposed to 115 the previous years, and there were a decent amount of OOS students on the waitlist. Also Tucson does not separate out IS and OOS students on the waitlist like phoenix does.

I'm pretty sure more than 88 IS people were accepted this year. Considering that 88 instaters ended up with the final class, I'd say it's an easy bet that at least 40-50 other people were accepted and turned it down. So it would be more correct to say around 130 IS which certainly is less than last year but not 88. So yeah, numbers can be deceiving, including yours :)

Is anyone else headed to the medical mock interview morning in Phoenix next Saturday or has anyone attended in the past? I'm just wondering what's in store and how I can prepare myself so that I get the most out of it. Thanks!

Is anyone else headed to the medical mock interview morning in Phoenix next Saturday or has anyone attended in the past? I'm just wondering what's in store and how I can prepare myself so that I get the most out of it. Thanks!

I am attending the 3-hr workshop this Sat - is anyone else?

The next Sat event is a "mock" of a normal interview by the multicultural/diversity staff, not admissions. So...I am placing my bets on this Sat since it is hosted by the actual admissions office. A great opportunity to meet the people who make a difference in my application!!!!

I went to the one in Phoenix last year and I thought it was great. They had us do 2 interviews, and after each one they gave us feedback and constructive criticism. After that they fed us and talked to us about the admissions process, if I recall correctly. The feedback is great, because they are completely honest with you. You won't get that on the actual interview trail. In fact, the feedback you get at actual interviews is at best useless and at worse serves as a false hope. Case and point, I was told unsolicited that I did "fabulous" at one interview and "fantastic" in another, and I did not get accepted at either of those schools.

As for preparation, I'd say try to prepare for it like you would a real interview. Take a look at your application, and see what aspects of it you'd like to bring up to them. Keep in mind that since this is a closed file interview (like the actual UA interview) you'll want to provide all the details that they wouldn't otherwise have. Also, I'd suggest looking at some information about the school, so you can have a specific answer to why you want to go to UA. Other than that, I don't think there is a whole lot you need to do to prepare. Just relax and treat it like a real interview, so you know that the feedback you receive is representative of what an actual interviewer would think.

I went to the one in Phoenix last year and I thought it was great. They had us do 2 interviews, and after each one they gave us feedback and constructive criticism. After that they fed us and talked to us about the admissions process, if I recall correctly. The feedback is great, because they are completely honest with you. You won't get that on the actual interview trail. In fact, the feedback you get at actual interviews is at best useless and at worse serves as a false hope. Case and point, I was told unsolicited that I did "fabulous" at one interview and "fantastic" in another, and I did not get accepted at either of those schools.

As for preparation, I'd say try to prepare for it like you would a real interview. Take a look at your application, and see what aspects of it you'd like to bring up to them. Keep in mind that since this is a closed file interview (like the actual UA interview) you'll want to provide all the details that they wouldn't otherwise have. Also, I'd suggest looking at some information about the school, so you can have a specific answer to why you want to go to UA. Other than that, I don't think there is a whole lot you need to do to prepare. Just relax and treat it like a real interview, so you know that the feedback you receive is representative of what an actual interviewer would think.

So Tucson is a closed file interview? Who interviews?

I'm pretty sure more than 88 IS people were accepted this year. Considering that 88 instaters ended up with the final class, I'd say it's an easy bet that at least 40-50 other people were accepted and turned it down. So it would be more correct to say around 130 IS which certainly is less than last year but not 88. So yeah, numbers can be deceiving, including yours :)

Well with 88 vs 115 I was referring to numbers accepted be4 waitlist rolled out on march 12. Yes u are right there were backfills for ppl who were accepted to both phx and tucson be4 march 12. But it is safe to assume those backfills between this year and last year were similar. So they still accepted 27 more IS students last year than this year be4 march 12. So technically the first 27 ppl on the waitlist would have been directly accepted, which makes 73 look like an inflated number. And yes its safe to assume that 130 IS were prolly acceptes this yeat regardless of whether or not they matriculated with UA, but last year 55 students were taken off the waitlist and plus with the backfills they prolly accepted around 170-180. My whole point about mentioning numbers are deceptive is even thoufh UA accepted the most kids off the waitlist ever, this year was prolly rhe hardest for IS students to apply due to great number of oos student that applied this year.

Hi all,
Congrats to everyone that has an interview invite.

I received an e-mail four days after my application was complete stating:

2011 University of Arizona College of Medicine Application-No Interview.

I was actually very disappointed and am curious to know if this has only happened to me. I am wondering why I got rejected so soon and suddenly :(

Does anyone know if UA Phoenix tells you early in the process if you've been rejected or are being re-reviewed? My secondary got verified about 10 days ago, I'm OOS and haven't heard back about any interviews from Phoenix even though they started handing them out this week. I know some schools will tell you on their application track site that you didn't get selected this interview round and you're being re-reviewed or rejected. Does anyone know if Phoenix does this? It still just says your application is being reviewed when I go to my tracking site...does this mean they still haven't made any decisions about my application?

sidenote: I already heard back from Tucson about a week ago with an interview invite but still no word from Phoenix. I can't stop obsessively checking my e-mail!

Last edited:
Hi all,
Congrats to everyone that has an interview invite.

I received an e-mail four days after my application was complete stating:

2011 University of Arizona College of Medicine Application-No Interview.

I was actually very disappointed and am curious to know if this has only happened to me. I am wondering why I got rejected so soon and suddenly :(

Sorry to hear you didn't get an interview. Were you OOS? Stats competitive?

So Tucson is a closed file interview? Who interviews?

I believe Tucson is closed file. It was last year. In case there are any of you out there thinking, "closed file, what the heck does he mean?" Closed file means the interviewer has not seen your application at all.

As for interviewers, its faculty in Tucson, like professors and deans. I think that's also mostly the case in Phoenix, though I do remember hearing from people who were interviewed by the librarian, although I don't that librarian is her only role at the school.

Hey, lrkoehle thanks for the quick reply. That was very helpful. I'm really looking forward to both the workshop tomorrow and the mock interviews next week. (Well, actually I'm quite nervous for the mock interviews just because of the brutal honesty factor.) Like others I received my invite from Tucson a week or so ago but am still waiting to hear back from Phoenix. Could those of you with a PHX invite state when you were able to submit your secondary? Thank might be helpful to those of us playing the waiting game. Thanks!

I believe Tucson is closed file. It was last year. In case there are any of you out there thinking, "closed file, what the heck does he mean?" Closed file means the interviewer has not seen your application at all.

As for interviewers, its faculty in Tucson, like professors and deans. I think that's also mostly the case in Phoenix, though I do remember hearing from people who were interviewed by the librarian, although I don't that librarian is her only role at the school.

I think you are mixed up - last yeat, I had several friends interview at both campuses. All but 1 of the Tucson interviews were done by 4th yr students. I was hoping this changed. Phoenix even uses the dean to interview.

disclaimer: my sister is in a grad program for library studies and once finished and employed, most libriarians are considered faculty. They do a lot more than our HS librarians.

I think you are mixed up - last yeat, I had several friends interview at both campuses. All but 1 of the Tucson interviews were done by 4th yr students. I was hoping this changed. Phoenix even uses the dean to interview.

disclaimer: my sister is in a grad program for library studies and once finished and employed, most libriarians are considered faculty. They do a lot more than our HS librarians.

No, Lrk isn't mixed up. Every single person that I know that interviewed at Tucson, including yours truly interviewed with PhD/MD faculty. I did interview with Dean Flynn at Phoenix. Several of my current classmates interviewed with the librarian, who yes, is considered to be a pretty integral part of the staff of the school (if not faculty).

Never heard of applicants being interviewed by students at the school. I don't even think the students are involved in the admissions process. Well, except for just being around to give us tours, answer questions, and eat lunch/breakfast with us. :D

No, Lrk isn't mixed up. Every single person that I know that interviewed at Tucson, including yours truly interviewed with PhD/MD faculty. I did interview with Dean Flynn at Phoenix. Several of my current classmates interviewed with the librarian, who yes, is considered to be a pretty integral part of the staff of the school (if not faculty).

My Tucson interview was with a fourth year med student. I didn't know the librarian interviewed people at Phoenix. That's pretty cool, actually. One of them leaves copies of the NYTimes crossword puzzle for me. It's very sweet. Make friends with the librarians wherever you go.

The interviewers in Phoenix are pretty stellar, if I do say so myself.

Shep, you're lack of social networking has lured me back to SDN. Just seeing you in my dreams isn't enough anymore. Also, how was that Michael Cera movie?

Oh, and now I'm getting serious. Bringing the logo and everything. Maybe I should update it. It needs black and gold. And maybe a triforce. Aha! Something to do with my new found free time besides laundry and cleaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.