2010-2011 University of Hawaii Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any rec. on the cheapest hotel?

Members don't see this ad.

It's official. I need to go to bed and stop looking at admissions websites:
Does everyone receive a secondary application or supplemental materials?
No. Upon receipt of your verified AMCAS application, your application will go through a screening process. Applicants who make the secondary screening cut will proceed through the admissions process and requested to submit supplemental materials and invited for interviews.

Is it just my tired mind but does that sentance make it sound like everyone who recieves a secondary gets interviewed? :p Logically I know that's not true but I want it to be! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Applicants who make the secondary screening cut will proceed through the admissions process and requested to submit supplemental materials and invited for interviews.

Is it just my tired mind but does that sentance make it sound like everyone who recieves a secondary gets interviewed? :p Logically I know that's not true but I want it to be! :D

I understood it the same way, but it is a poorly written sentence, so who knows what they mean.

I'm so confused with this whole is/oos I hope someone can shed some light on this. I am a HI resident for tuition purposes, it took a long year out of my life where I could not take more than 6 credits, had to work and pay taxes, register to vote, not being claimed by my parents on their taxes, etc. Thankfully it paid off and I was granted residency. However, I'm still confused about the whole 3 out of 6 points system. The only things I have going for me is the fact that I am a legal resident and went to UHM for my undergrad. I really don't get why they ask me questions like where I was born and where my family lives and where I went to high school. As a matter of fact, I was born and raised in a different country and most of my family still lives there, my mother lives in WA. So just by these factors they are going to classify me as a non-resident although I am a legal resident of this state? One of the current med school students told me that as long as you are a HI resident your chances of getting into med school at JABSOM are much higher, and when I asked him about the whole point system he seemed like he didn't know at all what I was talking about. Just said that being HI resident helps.
So which one is it? Is it possible for them to classify me as an oos although I'm a legal resident here? I believe I clearly made my intent to live and study medicine in HI when I spent a year of my life taking one class the whole year here. If I really wanted to go to school in CA, for instance, I could have moved there upon graduating and became a resident there which would greatly increase my chances in getting into a CA school. But clearly I didn't because I found home away from home here.
Also about the whole strong ties thing, I'm an immigrant, basically I don't have strong ties to any of the 50 states. I think the strongest tie I have right now is being a legal resident of this state.

Sorry this is so long but its been bothering me forever!!! I am tired of hearing different things so hopefully somebody will clarify this for me once and for all!!!!

Mahalo!

You will be more likely to stay here and practice medicine if you have strong ties here. I'm sure they think that if you parents are from or live in Hawaii, you'll be more likely to stay. They may just want to make sure you intend to stay here. If you can convey that to them, you'll probably have a better chance.

Unless they've changed things recently, then it is true. Secondaries are not automatic, so if you received a secondary it means you passed the "secondary" screen, and you should be given an interview invite. The admissions office does move a bit slowly, so it might not be immediately.

Sorry this is so long but its been bothering me forever!!! I am tired of hearing different things so hopefully somebody will clarify this for me once and for all!!!!

Mahalo!

If you have only 2 of the points but you are sincerely dedicated to living and practicing medicine in Hawaii, I would suggest contacting the admissions office and politely explaining your situation. There is a chance they may be able to give you an extra point somehow. If they choose not to, bear in mind that it is at their discretion, and they are not obligated to do anything for you.

Last edited:
Unless they've changed things recently, then it is true. Secondaries are not automatic, so if you received a secondary it means you passed the "secondary" screen, and you should be given an interview invite. The admissions office does move a bit slowly, so it might not be immediately.

I *really* hope this is true. As an OOS, I applid here as sort of a hail mary, hoping that they would take into consideration WICHE (I"m from Colorado).:oops: It's been a long appliation cycle and I applied late so I have had literally nothing besides rejections thus far (and 2 secondaries from schools that screen which made me pretty happy).

any suggestions for a hotel/rental condo/etc to stay at? UH doesn't mention any student host opportunities but have people done that as well?

any suggestions for a hotel/rental condo/etc to stay at? UH doesn't mention any student host opportunities but have people done that as well?

http://www.eastwestcenter.org/

all you have to do when you book is fax a copy of your student card. It's on the main campus and a bit of a hike to the MEB but still bus-able. The rates are definitely worth it though.
i LOVED this school. My gosh, I'd definitely hail mary too if i got in :)

I can vouch for Lincoln hall being a good place to stay. It's not a five star hotel by any means, but it's nice enough to hold you over. Anyone with any questions just pm me. I don't know much about hotel rates, but I do know my way around town and the island. :)

i withdrew from my interview at Hawaii. Good luck to whoever getting my spot :)

Interview invite today. OOS 30P 3.9 cGPA. OMG so excited. FIrst interview invite. YAYAyyayay

Members don't see this ad :)

Mahalo!

Hi,
I am not applying this year, but I asked the admissions office the same questions because I am in a similar (frustrating) situation. Basically, if you have 2/3 residency points they will put you through to the academic screening both as a resident and a non-resident. If you have enough points (8 for resident based on GPA, ECs, research, service, etc...; 16 for non-resident), they will send you a secondary application. This is what she wrote about the secondary:

"If an applicant meets the Academic Second Screen cut-off either as a resident or nonresident, the individual will be sent a two-part essay, "why medicine?" and "why UH JABSOM?" *On the "why UH JABSOM?" essay, an applicant has the opportunity to provide additional information as to ties to Hawaii, and/or future commitment to the State of Hawai'i. One discretionary point may be awarded in the Residency Screen based on this additional information to be considered a resident for application purposes. (Note: Only one discretionary point is awarded in the screening process and only in the Residence Screen)."

Based on your response to the secondary, they will decide if they will award a discretionary point to you, thus granting you residency for APPLICATION purposes. If you get that, then they will invite you for interviews based on the resident criteria. If you don't get the discretionary point, you will be held to the non-resident criteria. However, I have heard that they DO give priority to out of state people who live in Hawaii (UHM students) and have more ties than some other applicants, but it is only something I have heard, not a fact.

I understand how frustrating it is, but we also have to understand that Hawaii has a shortage of doctors (especially on neighbor islands), and even those that are trained here AND have ties to Hawaii often leave. JABSOM is the only medical school in the state, and they believe it is their responsibility to do whatever possible to ensure that the doctors they train will stay here.

Hope this helps!

anyone know the average step 1 scores? are they above or below the national average?

anyone know the average step 1 scores? are they above or below the national average?

Only have data from 07 and 08, but for 08 it says Mean JABSOM score is 225 (National 221). 07 JABSOM 223 (National 222). Hope that helps.

i'm working on booking my trip and am trying to figure out hotel stuff. For the east west center, does being granted an interview alone make that an option? Or any cheap hotels near campus?

Last edited:
you might wanna look at the ala moana hotel. its centrally located, right next to the biggest mall in hawaii, and is pretty close to the kakaako jabsom campus.

you might wanna look at the ala moana hotel. its centrally located, right next to the biggest mall in hawaii, and is pretty close to the kakaako jabsom campus.

Thanks! I just ended up booking the cheapest one that was closeish to campus . ~$600 for 3 days in hawaii (flight from denver), I'll take it! :love:

I keep telling myself that even if I don't get in, at least I get to spend a few days on Oahu but secretly, i'd be really sad if I don't get in. :cool:

Wow that is a really good price! :thumbup:
Good luck on your interviews and I hope you like it here in Hawaii!

Thanks! I just ended up booking the cheapest one that was closeish to campus . ~$600 for 3 days in hawaii (flight from denver), I'll take it! :love:

I keep telling myself that even if I don't get in, at least I get to spend a few days on Oahu but secretly, i'd be really sad if I don't get in. :cool:

are both of your interviews within those 3 days you are in hawaii?

are both of your interviews within those 3 days you are in hawaii?

Yep. They may actually both be on the 11th, depending on which date my second interviewer wants to meet up. She's a 4th year, flying around doing residency matches (boston this week, NY the next, etc) so it was the earliest either of us could do it and she's leaving out the 14th for another trip to WA I believe. Other interviewer is a AIDS researcher. :D I'm kind of an immunology buff so it should be fun and through all of our email exchanges my student interviewer seems nice as well. :xf:

Countdown till the end of March/Early April notices.... Good luck =)

Countdown till the end of March/Early April notices.... Good luck =)

Just wondering if anyone knows if JABSOM ever notifies OOS applicants of acceptance in March - better yet, early March - any info/input is greatly appreciated...I just recently interviewed, so it's fresh on my mind...

Thanks a bunch =)

Just wondering if anyone knows if JABSOM ever notifies OOS applicants of acceptance in March - better yet, early March - any info/input is greatly appreciated...I just recently interviewed, so it's fresh on my mind...

Thanks a bunch =)

JABSOM sends out a few acceptances on a rolling basis if the admissions committee ranks them high enough (including OOS applicants), but the rest (majority) of the applicants are given their decisions in late March.

Good luck-- and I hope you hear back soon!

Quite a nerve-racking last month here for me. OOS, been done since October and have been planning my life on two paths after having deferred at another program the year before. Albeit my odds aren't favorable plainly given the OOS acceptance rate and emphasis on strong ties to the state (mine are weak). But there's always another bright light at the end of the tunnel: internship/residency. I believe if I want to be practicing medicine in Hawai'i badly enough, I'll get it eventually. Life's showed me this principle to be true many a time before. Best of luck to everyone and huge congrats on getting interviews/acceptance--- what a spectacular place on this Earth -- both the land and the people! ~aloha~

Cool Down: "And everybody else you know what to do -go grab your Ohana - its so nice outside we're living in Hawai'i with Aloha and pride"

sure wish we had your radio stations here!!!!! :)

Wow SurfDoctor, I think you really do embody the Hawaiian spirit/attitude!
I hope you do get a shot here because I think you would make a great fit.

On a strange note, today I just got a "File Complete" email-- when I interviewed in Sept/October. Did anyone get that just recently? It just seems weird because it was sent so much later and decisions will already be made by the end of the month. :confused:

JABSOM sends out a few acceptances on a rolling basis if the admissions committee ranks them high enough (including OOS applicants), but the rest (majority) of the applicants are given their decisions in late March.

Good luck-- and I hope you hear back soon!

Thank you HawaiiDoc!

Wow SurfDoctor, I think you really do embody the Hawaiian spirit/attitude!
I hope you do get a shot here because I think you would make a great fit.

On a strange note, today I just got a "File Complete" email-- when I interviewed in Sept/October. Did anyone get that just recently? It just seems weird because it was sent so much later and decisions will already be made by the end of the month. :confused:
Hey HawaiiDoc.

Don't worry. That complete file notification just means that they finally received the interview form from your interviewer. The Doc/Prof may have just sent it in late. It doesn't really mean anything bad...I don't think. Plus I think ADCom meets sometime after 03/01 and reviews all of the applicants at once.

Good luck!

Hey HawaiiDoc.

Don't worry. That complete file notification just means that they finally received the interview form from your interviewer. The Doc/Prof may have just sent it in late. It doesn't really mean anything bad...I don't think. Plus I think ADCom meets sometime after 03/01 and reviews all of the applicants at once.

Good luck!

Is it bad if we did not receive one? I interviewed in December and didn't get an email...

On another note, its finally March! :) Countdown begins...

I got the complete file email the week after my interview... Odd.

i got my complete file email yesterday too, but i interviewed in feb

Is it bad if we did not receive one? I interviewed in December and didn't get an email...

On another note, its finally March! :) Countdown begins...
Hmm, I think you are suppose to get a "complete file" notification. I would wait a couple of days since the admissions office is probably compiling everyone's application right now. I would follow-up at the end of the week if you haven't heard anything. Can't hurt right?

Hmm, I think you are suppose to get a "complete file" notification. I would wait a couple of days since the admissions office is probably compiling everyone's application right now. I would follow-up at the end of the week if you haven't heard anything. Can't hurt right?

I got a complete file notification today :) thanks to everyone that replied !

Got a complete file notification as well two days ago!! :):) I am super hyped about the count down finally! :)

I just received a completed file notice also :)
...I was starting to get nervous as I read this thread! Good Luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Hi guys,
so I'm also waiting to hear back from JABSOM, and had a few questions regarding the school.

Is JABSOM pass/fail during the first 2 years?

I'm a bit skeptical about the PBL curriculum; I know there has been several discussions on PBL in general, but anyone have an insight on how JABSOM's PBL system is?

One promising information is that JABSOM's average USMLE 1 average is above the national average. But does anyone have information on the actual average and HOW they calculate the average? (I heard different schools calculate it differently)

Thanks for all the help and g'luck to all those who are waiting!:thumbup:

I asked my student interviewer a lot about PBL and sadly, he/she didn't really sell me on the idea. Truth be told, I was rather underwhelmed with JABSOM in general. PRobably because I didn't get to do a tour and just had to rush from one interview to another across waikiki (obnoxious to say the least in a suit when it's 80 degrees out). And my interviewer was very candid and basically said that the his/her class was *very* clicky. I'm sure they were just being honest with me but it turned me off and sadly, I"m kinda disappointed.

That being said, I'm not going to be picky. I've had 3 interviews. if I only get into JABSOM, i'll absolutely go there and probably be really happy for the next x years of my life :p

hello! did you attend either information session in Aug or Dec? they covered a lot of this and gave handouts with info on it....

1.) Is JABSOM pass/fail during the first 2 years?
Yes: it's solely P/F for the first two years of core curriculum and then I believe also P/F with a sort of honors designation alotted for clerkships

2.) I'm a bit skeptical about the PBL curriculum; I know there has been several discussions on PBL in general, but anyone have an insight on how JABSOM's PBL system is?

Firstly, I heard the same thing about the class being a little clicky at my second interview with a fourth year student. He didn't have any serious complaints about it though and all of the students and alumni I encountered seemed genuinely satisfied with their experience and training at the school.

Secondly, wherever you end up, you'll more than likely be using a PBL curriculum as the AAMC has recently mandated use of the curriculum for all US med schools. The scramble to convert is happening now at all schools that aren't already utilizing PBL. My personal opinion of the PBL-based curriculum at JABSOM is that it is well-established, flexible, and quite strong relative to other programs that have been utilize a similar curricular structure. JABSOM was the first medical school to employ this curriculum in the United States in 1989 (they actually got the idea from McMaster University in Ontario, Canada as explained by the dean at the Info Session in August and this webpage: http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/facdev/FacHandbook/ProbBasedLearning.asp?tab=FacHandbook). I personally had a very positive impression of the PBL curriculum at JABSOM because I prefer working independently/small-groups and learning through active discussion rather than listening to didactic lectures in a more passive fashion. I think your evaluation here should be based on your personal preference for learning modalities. I should note that the PBL mandate by the AAMC does not require conversion to a "PBL-based" curriculum but rather some percentage amount of courses that are offered in a PBL format. I have been told that the aim with the mandate is to promote teamwork in medicine because of PBL's small-group structure.

3.) One promising information is that JABSOM's average USMLE 1 average is above the national average. But does anyone have information on the actual average and HOW they calculate the average? (I heard different schools calculate it differently)

Sorry, I don't have any info about how they calculate the average scores. To be candid, I think you're not looking at the big picture here with regard to this school. While board scores are important, do they necessarily reflect the quality of the education at a particular school? This is debatable.....I think the bottom-line/big picture with JABSOM is the commitment to serving Hawai'i and the specific health needs of its population - and the role of this school in training you to meet these demands. There have been several articles published recently that highlight the demand for physicians in lieu of a projected physician shortage within the next ten years (the time most of us will be done with residencies/fellowships etc and practicing on our own).

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/sto...to-be-in-critical/4jnWw_D0w0Owi04Z8Fy7Hw.cspx

Hawaii's physician shortage to be in critical condition in 10 years

The status of Hawaii's physician shortage could reach critical condition in the next 10 years.
A conference being held in Waikiki aims to identify the reasons why doctors are leaving the state, and what to do about it.
"Yes, there's a 22% shortage statewide," said Dr. Josh Green with the Independent Physician Association.
Statistics show Hawaii is at least 500 doctors short compared to the national average and the numbers are forecast to triple in the next decade.
"So you can expect at 30-40% shortage across all disciplines, primary care, cardiology, orthopedics, it's really quite serious," said Green.

(cont'd)

So I think the big picture here is simply how willing you are to commit to serving as a physician in Hawai'i in the long-run.

I know I threw in a bunch of opinions here rather than facts; nonetheless, I hope this helps if you are fortunate enough to have your choice of schools! :luck:

I didn't get to do a tour and just had to rush from one interview to another across waikiki (obnoxious to say the least in a suit when it's 80 degrees out).

Damn!! lol It's too bad that you missed the tour-- one of my favorite things about JABSOM was their new facilities at Kakaako. Well I'm glad that you made the interviews on time though-- since it must have been a scramble to learn all the different areas around Honolulu. I would have thought they would give you more convenient locations for your interview since you are out of state.

The good thing if you decide to attend JABSOM, is that you can hang up that suit in the closet back at home (and not have to pack it for Hawaii) since it's way too hot for that here! For my interview I wore a fancy, but very comfortable aloha shirt-- which I must say was a lot easier to interview with than in a suit (when I interviewed in the mainland).

Although I agree that JABSOM has a lot of people who knew each other from high school (since like half the class comes from two of Hawaii's top private schools-- Punahou and Iolani), I feel there are still a bunch of people who are very friendly-- and many are open to forming study groups and get to know everyone equally. My friend who is an MS3 at JABSOM told me how there are quite a bit of socials/study groups/ activities that are all sent out through their class list serve-- which helps to bring more cohesiveness.

Thanks for all the information! Unfortunately I was not able to attend the information session that was offered in august or december. Glad to hear that the students at JABSOM are satisfied with there experience with PBL though! :D

Yeah. I have a really strong idea that if I had had more time and gotten to talk to more people, I would've liked the school more. THe biggest problem was I gave myself 3 days in hawaii. I was supposed to get in at 10am on monday, tuesday interviews and wednesday, leaving 10pm. But Vegas airport is really stupid. I had an hour long layover but apperently Hawaiian Airlines leaves out of a different terminal that requires you to leave security etc etc. Long story short, I missed my flight and didn't get in till 2am (ended up sitting in vegas airport for 8 hours). By the next morning , I was exhausted. My final day was awesome, I spent the day wondering around waikiki and honolulu but it was kinda lonely :p . If it wasn't so damned expensive, I'd love to get another opinion when everything isn't so hectic.

PS> if anyone cares, the bus system is actually pretty good around honolulu. I was able to get from A to B easily.

Well looks like the adcoms made the decsion for me. Rejected email this morning.

Sorry to hear that, stephbee. In my case, got the waitlist email from UH.

Just got the acceptance email this afternoon :D

Sorry to hear about the status updates-- the waitlist does move a lot though in the past years-- so that definitely is not a bad spot to be in. Good luck!

got the acceptance letter as well. yay

I am new to SDN. I also was accepted to JABSOM. Is there a Facebook Group for Class of 2015? I am so excited to meet everyone!

I got in as well!!! :D Are you guys deciding between different places, or are you set on JABSOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.