2011-2012 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding, it's like I am blowing on the lit fuse that is approaching ever so gradually.
Yup, I've started filling out forms for the committee letter again. Going to turn that in next week. In two weeks I'm starting a job search. It's reached that point. Who wants a beer?

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup: Hit me. I'll take a Shock Top if you have one!

Yup, I've started filling out forms for the committee letter again. Going to turn that in next week. In two weeks I'm starting a job search. It's reached that point. Who wants a beer?

Delirium Tremens, Duvel or La Fin du Monde if you're buyin'. *Outs self as beer snob*

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: you mean connoisseur? They should have a "cheers!" smiley. That would be perfect right now.... Prost!

Delirium Tremens, Duvel or La Fin du Monde if you're buyin'. *Outs self as beer snob*

Sure thing my man. All good beers. At least you didn't ask for a Framboise hahaha. Personally I'm feeling Tucher tonight.

duvel-beer-21494566.jpg

For Anthro:

shock.jpg

Sure thing my man. All good beers. At least you didn't ask for a Framboise hahaha. Personally I'm feeling Tucher tonight.

duvel-beer-21494566.jpg

For Anthro:

shock.jpg
this question is for beer drinkers

Many Many years ago when I was your age I tended bar. Most people drank Bud, Bud Lite, Busch, or Miller Lite and they always drank the same thing. Do you stick to one brand or do you try different beers.
BTW I have drank Shock Top but but I have never heard Vandy Premed's favorite beers

Many Many years ago when I was your age I tended bar. Most people drank Bud, Bud Lite, Busch, or Miller Lite and they always drank the same thing. Do you stick to one brand or do you try different beers.
BTW I have drank Shock Top but but I have never heard Vandy Premed's favorite beers
Well I've recently been learning a lot about beers as I live across the street from a World of Beer. I try many different beers every time I go there. Problem is most of the time I forget what beers I order, which is why I save my receipts. For a good cheap ($4.00 at WoB) beer or two lost coast is a good brewery. If my options are the Bud lights, Millers, ect. I usually interchange them unless PBR is available. It is my favorite of the crap beers (Bud, Heineken, Miller, Coors, ect.). I refuse to drink Heineken. For my average beer to buy at a grocery store and drink I get Amber Bock. For ciders I'm a huge fan of woodchuck granny smith. But I'll definitely drink Strongbow and enjoy it greatly. Magners is aight, not my favorite but way better than Peckers. I could keep going, oh dear have I drank a lot of beer recently haha.

They really need to build a WoB in Gainesville... That place would be constantly packed. Especially if they place it in Midtown across from North campus. Great beer selection for sure. Only problem is that I have lost track of which ones I've tried and liked. Need to start writing them down!

There's this place in Gainesville called The Laboratory that I never got the chance to go to during undergrad but I hear they serve drinks in erlenmeyers or beakers! They serve food too, not sure how good it is but how cool is that?
Well I've recently been learning a lot about beers as I live across the street from a World of Beer. I try many different beers every time I go there. Problem is most of the time I forget what beers I order, which is why I save my receipts. For a good cheap ($4.00 at WoB) beer or two lost coast is a good brewery. If my options are the Bud lights, Millers, ect. I usually interchange them unless PBR is available. It is my favorite of the crap beers (Bud, Heineken, Miller, Coors, ect.). I refuse to drink Heineken. For my average beer to buy at a grocery store and drink I get Amber Bock. For ciders I'm a huge fan of woodchuck granny smith. But I'll definitely drink Strongbow and enjoy it greatly. Magners is aight, not my favorite but way better than Peckers. I could keep going, oh dear have I drank a lot of beer recently haha.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
They really need to build a WoB in Gainesville... That place would be constantly packed. Especially if they place it in Midtown across from North campus. Great beer selection for sure. Only problem is that I have lost track of which ones I've tried and liked. Need to start writing them down!

There's this place in Gainesville called The Laboratory that I never got the chance to go to during undergrad but I hear they serve drinks in erlenmeyers or beakers! They serve food too, not sure how good it is but how cool is that?
Isn't the Laboratory fairly new? I don't remember it being around for that long. And there is Stubbies for worldwide beer, though that place is more expensive. I was definitely a fan of WoB when I went, though there was a lack of seating which was kinda annoying.

It depends where I am and how much I want to spend. If I'm going cheap and decent I get Blue Moon or Yazoo Dos Perros. The beers I mentioned before are quite expensive and high gravity, so those are more for enjoying, hopefully not drinking more than 2 or 3 in one night ;). I highly recommend you try some of those more obscure beers. Even Hoegaarden is very good and available at many stores (not bars so much). It's a bit more expensive, but you'll never want to drink a Bud Lite again after drinking that. You also cannot go wrong with anything made by New Belgium Brewery (from Colorado), and it's affordable.

I don't remember the first time I heard about it. Probably a couple years ago. Next time I'm in Gainesville I'll have to try and go... I'm there like every other weekend lol. I've heard the same about Stubbies but never went. Comparable to Sharab? That place is also decently pricey.
Isn't the Laboratory fairly new? I don't remember it being around for that long. And there is Stubbies for worldwide beer, though that place is more expensive. I was definitely a fan of WoB when I went, though there was a lack of seating which was kinda annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would love Mother's on University. PBR is ~$2 per tall boy!

Try having one in England, warm. Or any beer served warm for that matter. Harp is pretty good though.

My stand-by:

Guinness.jpg

I don't remember the first time I heard about it. Probably a couple years ago. Next time I'm in Gainesville I'll have to try and go... I'm there like every other weekend lol. I've heard the same about Stubbies but never went. Comparable to Sharab? That place is also decently pricey.
I've only been to Sharab once a while ago, but that's pretty small and crowded - I wasn't thrilled by it, but some poeple seem to like it. Stubbies is bigger, a lot more space and more relaxed, low key atmosphere.

Yeah the upstairs of Sharab is pretty small. I tried finding my girlfriend in there one time and it was nearly impossible, but I found her lol. I don't like small and crowded myself, which is why I prefer to stay away from places like Balls and Salty Dog. Gator City/ XS is pretty good, they have many rooms which makes it seem more spread out. If you want the true "Swamp" experience in every literal sense of the word, go to Grog after football games.

For more relaxed atmospheres, I always like going to Hogan's (few of my friends are bartenders there), and Court of Hero's.

I've only been to Sharab once a while ago, but that's pretty small and crowded - I wasn't thrilled by it, but some poeple seem to like it. Stubbies is bigger, a lot more space and more relaxed, low key atmosphere.

For anyone who wants an actual beer...I recommend you go to Tall Pauls downtown. They have a great selections of all sorts from local, country wide, and international. I would not try to order a bud though unless you enjoy the bartender laughing at you. I only wish this place opened before I was a senior at UF!

Does anyone know how generous UF financial aid is? Is there an average amount of scholarship given statistic out there or from the current MS1s, the class financial status?

For anyone who wants an actual beer...I recommend you go to Tall Pauls downtown. They have a great selections of all sorts from local, country wide, and international. I would not try to order a bud though unless you enjoy the bartender laughing at you. I only wish this place opened before I was a senior at UF!

Gator SDN meet-up!

I got a surprising phone call this morning for an interview invite... yay!!!

Ahh really?! Congratss! What r ur stats if you don't mind sharing? Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from UF ("still under review") supposedly, but its great to know that they are still sending out invites :D Best of luck to you!! :luck:

so today or tomorrow some of us are supposed to be getting responses back. anyone else going crazy right now?

Oh wow, congrats! I didn't think any more invites were going out. If they heard the things I was saying about UF at last night's basketball game, they'd probably reject me immediately ;).

Invited for interview finally!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy :)

complete since 9/4!

So the January 27th email update said there was 5 remaining interview dates. I'm seeing invites for Feb. 10, Feb. 24, March 2, and March 9. Did I overlook a date and that's it? Or is there one remaining interview date?

Ahh really?! Congratss! What r ur stats if you don't mind sharing? Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from UF ("still under review") supposedly, but its great to know that they are still sending out invites :D Best of luck to you!! :luck:

I have around ~3.5 GPA and >28 MCAT

But it seems like they were send out more invites though!

So the January 27th email update said there was 5 remaining interview dates. I'm seeing invites for Feb. 10, Feb. 24, March 2, and March 9. Did I overlook a date and that's it? Or is there one remaining interview date?

I believe you are correct. Not sure what the 5th date was but they definitely said that March 9 was the last interview date of the season.

I believe you are correct. Not sure what the 5th date was but they definitely said that March 9 was the last interview date of the season.
So if the 9th is the last interview date, do you think we can expect them to take some people off the waitlist on the 14th? (the last adcom meeting was the 28th, so the 13th is 2 weeks later, which should be their next meeting)

Hi everyone! Quick question here, does UF COM teach to the boards (Step 1). For example, are the course exams structured similar to the USMLE 1 (I'm quite ok with that)? Thank you!

Medical school's primary goal should not be to teach you how to beat a test. Their goal should be to teach you how to be a good physician. For any and all premeds, please remember this. What you should be learning in medical school is so much more important than any one test. Also, please remember that all averages for Step 1 are not reported officially ANYWHERE. Schools can do whatever they want to their statistics (like not incorporating people that fail) and say whatever they want about them to incoming students.

Before someone tries to bite my head off: I am not trying to imply UF will not teach you how to be a good doctor as they are an excellent medical school. And I am also not saying UF or its students are being untruthful about their Step 1 averages. I am just warning applicants to take all "reported" averages with a grain of salt, because absolutely no one outside the school, in any peer-reviewed meaningful way, can check up on that data.

So if the 9th is the last interview date, do you think we can expect them to take some people off the waitlist on the 14th? (the last adcom meeting was the 28th, so the 13th is 2 weeks later, which should be their next meeting)

Sephiroth, you are correct. Leila mentioned on Friday's interview the next adcom meeting is the 13th :luck:

So the 9th is the last interview date for sure? This would mean that the last invites went out last week...

So the 9th is the last interview date for sure? This would mean that the last invites went out last week...

I've received an invite on a Monday for Friday of the same week for another school. You don't think UF would do that on Monday? It's probably a shot in the dark but hey, it could happen.

I've received an invite on a Monday for Friday of the same week for another school. You don't think UF would do that on Monday? It's probably a shot in the dark but hey, it could happen.

If last week were the last set of invites, I would say that they would only do that in the event of a cancellation or if someone declines the interview. I certainly wouldn't care either way. They could invite me Wednesday and I'd be on a plane the next day.

If last week were the last set of invites, I would say that they would only do that in the event of a cancellation or if someone declines the interview. I certainly wouldn't care either way. They could invite me Wednesday and I'd be on a plane the next day.

That's also what I was thinking... I'm hoping someone cancels because I really want a chance. Plus I only live an hour and a half away.

i have my interview on friday and i was wondering if there is anyone in here going from miami to uf. i dont want to go all by myself. :(

During interview day I remember them talking about changes to the curriculum this coming year but for the life of me I can't remember what all of the changes were. Looking over the M1 & M2 schedules from current and previous years it looks like they follow the traditional med school curriculum with 4-8 hours of lecture per day. I am wondering if the new curriculum for the incoming class will meaningfuly change this since I am not one who learns well in lectures and may go mad sitting through very many 8 hour lecture days. I really appreciate any input.

During interview day I remember them talking about changes to the curriculum this coming year but for the life of me I can't remember what all of the changes were. Looking over the M1 & M2 schedules from current and previous years it looks like they follow the traditional med school curriculum with 4-8 hours of lecture per day. I am wondering if the new curriculum for the incoming class will meaningfuly change this since I am not one who learns well in lectures and may go mad sitting through very many 8 hour lecture days. I really appreciate any input.

I think they are going to fully integrate the curriculum. I had one fourth year student say that most of the information and lectures will be similar to what is given now, but they will be realigning it by system. Further, there will be more clinical experience during the first two years. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we will all have to wait until second look weekend to get a complete overview of the changes. Luckily, that is approaching quickly!

I think they are going to fully integrate the curriculum. I had one fourth year student say that most of the information and lectures will be similar to what is given now, but they will be realigning it by system. Further, there will be more clinical experience during the first two years. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we will all have to wait until second look weekend to get a complete overview of the changes. Luckily, that is approaching quickly!
Hey for anyone out there that is going to second look weekend....would you be so kind as to post what they say about the curriculum changes and anything else that seemed especially interesting/poignant/awesome/terrible :)

Hey for anyone out there that is going to second look weekend....would you be so kind as to post what they say about the curriculum changes and anything else that seemed especially interesting/poignant/awesome/terrible :)

+1. That would be really helpful

+1. That would be really helpful

When is it again (sorry, the 'search this thread' funstion isn't working' and I don't feel like sifting through all of it)? I'm living in gville right now, so if I can go (I think I have to be accepted by then?) I'd be happy to take some notes on that and post them.

When is it again (sorry, the 'search this thread' funstion isn't working' and I don't feel like sifting through all of it)? I'm living in gville right now, so if I can go (I think I have to be accepted by then?) I'd be happy to take some notes on that and post them.

27th and 28th, as corrected by StitchinUp.

Last edited:
Rejected today pre-interview, via email. They were sitting on my file for so long, I had my hopes up. Good luck to those interviewing/accepted!

P.S. Email also stated that no more II's were going out.

rejected today pre-interview, via email. They were sitting on my file for so long, i had my hopes up. Good luck to those interviewing/accepted!

P.s. Email also stated that no more ii's were going out.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.