2011-2012 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected email =(. I am just really surprised considering i am a graduate of UF with not amazing stats but certainly competitive stats that has letters of rec from people very interwoven in the school of medicine. I got accepted a few other places and am waiting on a few more waitlist but shoot..I kind of feel betrayed by UF. Cant wait to take it out on the next person who calls me about alumni donations >=).

Members don't see this ad.

Cant wait to take it out on the next person who calls me about alumni donations >=).

:laugh: Congrats on your other acceptances. I felt the same way about my graduate institution since I am currently doing research there after graduation. I know all about the UF donation calls, I just got one recently. I signed up for the alumni association so that's probably why! Not to mention my whole family is going/has gone there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected email =(. I am just really surprised considering i am a graduate of UF with not amazing stats but certainly competitive stats that has letters of rec from people very interwoven in the school of medicine. I got accepted a few other places and am waiting on a few more waitlist but shoot..I kind of feel betrayed by UF. Cant wait to take it out on the next person who calls me about alumni donations >=).

Rejected as well. I feel a bit betrayed by a handful of FL schools. Congrats on your other acceptances though :).

Congrats Shazam!!!!!!!

Got the waitlist email this morning... Bummer

Finally accepted at my top choice!!!!! =]

Congrats to those accepted today.

Think they'll fill up whatever seats are left over 2 weeks from now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was one of your others Tufts!?!?!? If so, looking at the USF thread, we may be rejection twins ;). Three in one day is rough, especially from two IS schools...

Yeah buddy. I still have an acceptance to snuggle with at night though. Wouldn't choose UF over that school anyways.

Thank you for all the kind words and congratulatory notes. You guys are awesome :D

I had some questions for a current med school student at UF:
1. What is a typical day like during the first year? I have heard that it's lecture from 8-5 PM, but I am not sure if the curriculum overhaul is going to change that or has already tackled this schedule.
2. Is attendance mandatory?
3. Are lectures available online (both audio and video)?
4. Where do most medical students live and what is the average rent [I know this varies, but maybe you can just speak from your experience]?
5. Is having a car necessary?
6. Do most students do preceptorships at Shands or with physicians around the community?
7. Do first years typically participate in the Mobile clinic [I think this community initiative is awesome!] and if yes, what is their level of participation?

Thanks and :luck:

Thank you for all the kind words and congratulatory notes. You guys are awesome :D

1. What is a typical day like during the first year? I have heard that it's lecture from 8-5 PM, but I am not sure if the curriculum overhaul is going to change that or has already tackled this schedule.
4. Where do most medical students live and what is the average rent [I know this varies, but maybe you can just speak from your experience]?
6. Do most students do preceptorships at Shands or with physicians around the community?
7. Do first years typically participate in the Mobile clinic [I think this community initiative is awesome!] and if yes, what is their level of participation?

Interesting questions! I would like to know as well. I also have two more questions.

1. Does UF provide incoming students with laptops and/or PDA's?
2. I remember during the interview it was said that a new building for the medical school is planned. Any idea when it will be completed?

Last edited:

Like you pointed out, the curriculum is getting a major overhaul, so I don't know how true my answers will be in the coming year, regardless:

1. An 8-5 day for a first year is really, really uncommon. A "bad day" for first semester is 10-5, and that is two or three times a week. A lot of the time you'll only have 10-12 or 10-2. First semester is really pretty cushy. You're eased into things. Currently, first years cover neuroscience in Jan/Feb, and that's more of an 8-5 schedule. It's when first year students really cut their teeth.

2. With a few exceptions, attendance is not mandatory. Small group sessions are mandatory, however, and you have two to three of these a week. Probably less in first year. I don't remember.

3. All lecture pdfs and recordings are available online.

4. Really hard to say for this one. You can think of housing as having two main variables: how nice the place is and location. If you want a nice place close to campus, be prepared to spend more. The nicest place within a 10 minute walk is Wildflower, but I think you'll end up paying ~$650/mo for a 2/2. I rent a townhome three miles from campus for $400/mo. Housing in Gainesville is plentiful and generally very cheap, even by Florida standards.

5. Depends a lot on where you live, how much time you're willing to blow waiting for public transit and if you have a bike. You can certainly get around without a car, but be prepared to melt in the summer if you're biking.

6. The first year preceptorship takes place entirely with physicians in the surrounding areas. You'll work with some physicians associated with Shands, however. For instance, I worked with an IM doc at an outpatient clinic in Shands Jax in my first year.

7. Typically? No, but that's entirely up to you, and as far as what you're doing, that's also up to you. It's whatever you feel comfortable with. I went maybe during my second month here, before I had learned how to use an otoscope, and of course, my patient had ear complaints. I had to call in a fourth year to help me out; I didn't want to hurt the guy, after all. But that's what's great about the Mobile Clinic/EAC: help is always there, and it's an environment that encourages inquiry and learning.

Interesting questions! I would like to know as well. I also have two more questions.

1. Does UF provide incoming students with laptops and/or PDA's?
2. I remember during the interview it was said that a new building for the medical school is planned. Any idea when it will be completed?

1. Ha! I wish.
2. I've heard this too, but I'm not sure. Assume it'll be around the time Tebow rises from the dead and returns to be head coach of the football team.

Congrats on your acceptances!

I'm going to be a first year vet student next year and I'm looking for a couple of (preferably female) roommates for a house. It is north of campus 1 block off 13th between the Office Depot and CVS. There is a bus that runs straight down 13th to the medical building on Archer. The house is pet friendly (no extra fees) with a huge fenced in backyard. I currently have a small dog and cat. The house was renovated in 2006 and the floors were refinished in 2009.

Pictures can be seen at www.nw14thave.com.Please contact me at [email protected]for more information.

View attachment house5 (640x298).jpg

View attachment house2 (640x429).jpg

View attachment house3 (640x429).jpg

Congrats to those of you that were accepted! My sister and I lived together while she was in UFCOM and now we are moving out. For rent. Located at 2508 SW 35th Pl, 5 minute drive (2.4mi) to UF/Shands. Convenient townhouse/condo recently updated, with 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, $850+u/mo. On 3 bus routes to campus. Partially furnished. Recently repainted, new wood flooring, base boards, appliances, carpet upstairs. 975sq.ft., very quiet area, never hear neighbors, very spacious, private upper suite, great landlord. Comes with all appliances including washer/dryer. Storage patio. This unit is perfect for couples or students wanting a carefree and secure style of living close to the school, publix, and many restaurants and stores. Come visit this well maintained community with a code entry/gated single entrance, pool, racketball court in Grantwood. Availble fall. Pets okay pending approval. If interested, contact Jerry at email: [email protected]
See pictures: http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums/o578/lmaass/

5. Depends a lot on where you live, how much time you're willing to blow waiting for public transit and if you have a bike. You can certainly get around without a car, but be prepared to melt in the summer if you're biking.

6. The first year preceptorship takes place entirely with physicians in the surrounding areas. You'll work with some physicians associated with Shands, however. For instance, I worked with an IM doc at an outpatient clinic in Shands Jax in my first year.

7. Typically? No, but that's entirely up to you, and as far as what you're doing, that's also up to you. It's whatever you feel comfortable with. I went maybe during my second month here, before I had learned how to use an otoscope, and of course, my patient had ear complaints. I had to call in a fourth year to help me out; I didn't want to hurt the guy, after all. But that's what's great about the Mobile Clinic/EAC: help is always there, and it's an environment that encourages inquiry and learning.

Just wanted to add to these:

5. You need a car for MS3 and MS4. MS1 and MS2 are doable with bike/public transit, but it's essential to have a car during the clinical years.

6. Like Neatloaf said, you can work with a physician associated with Shands, or not (like me). I worked with a FM doc in the Panhandle who saw patients Tues-Friday and worked in the small town hospital (less than 3,000 people in town) from Sunday night to Monday night in a 24 hr shift.

7. Mobile Clinic and EAC is a great place to learn the physical exam and practice your history taking skills. Learn by doing!

Does anyone know if UF has already started making financial award offers or when they will start making them?

Does anyone know if UF has already started making financial award offers or when they will start making them?

seems like they won't be offering anything until May 5, if my memory serves me correctly...

seems like they won't be offering anything until May 5, if my memory serves me correctly...

Ah, thanks. I see some other schools have already made offers...was just wondering..May 5 seems relatively late to make offers.

Agreed...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Another acceptance I have isn't giving offers until "around May 15th". Kinda sucks.

I heard the financial aid committee was meeting this week-- but that doesn't really tell us when packages will come out...

Anyone going to the second look?

I will be there! Anyone know what type of clothes you wear to this sort of thing? I know they're having a shadowing experience that requires professional clothes, but what about the rest of the day(s)?

Thanks.

I will be there! Anyone know what type of clothes you wear to this sort of thing? I know they're having a shadowing experience that requires professional clothes, but what about the rest of the day(s)?

Thanks.

Someone called the admissions office and they said business casual for both Friday and Saturday. (See the Facebook group)

Thanks.

7543-2T.jpg

Just got my award notice in!! Anybody else?? Btw anyone at second look weekend please feel free to share the main points of the meaning. That would be awesome :)

Second Look was awesome!

Most of the stuff on Friday was just mingling, nothing new.

Saturday, the only really big news was about the new curriculum (which you might be able to find online now, not sure).

The changes:
only 1 1/2 years pre-clinical
Now organ systems based
3 preceptorships (which might have already been something UF did): Dec. and Spring first year, fall of second year
More time for clinical rotations
Internship 101 capstone course to prepare for residency at end of year 4

It sounded pretty great. They said they reduced redundancy and tried to make it more applicable to clinical practice.

Second Look was awesome!

Saturday, the only really big news was about the new curriculum (which you might be able to find online now, not sure).

The changes:
Now organ systems based
3 preceptorships (which might have already been something UF did): Dec. and Spring first year, fall of second year

It sounded pretty great. They said they reduced redundancy and tried to make it more applicable to clinical practice.
Thanks for the info

Do you know how the timing regarding taking step 1 will be affected?

Second Look was awesome!

The changes:
Now organ systems based

Hey there, I'd like to thank you as well...I'm going to look at there website to see if they've posted any new information about the curriculum.

Hey there, I'd like to thank you as well...I'm going to look at there website to see if they've posted any new information about the curriculum.
I couldn't find anything new on the website...

Thanks for the info StitchinUp. Just curious, did you get any idea of what a typical week will be like? Will the new curriculum be predominantly lecture based? Or a mixture of PBL/group work with lectures?

It looks like we will have almost two months to study for and take step 1 and have a little vacation. But I imagine we will be taking it earlier in the year, since clinicals will start in May.

Typical day for Mon-Thurs looks like 9-3, lectures in the mornings, lab or small group in the afternoon, looks like a good mixture. Usually we'll have friday afternoon off. You meet with your small group for about 3 hours Tuesday or Wednesday.

They said they were putting the information online, but maybe they didn't do that yet, sorry!

Is it me or has it been an eternity on waiting about the waitlist movement

This has been my main complaint about the last two years. The redundancy has really been pretty staggering. I think I've literally had over five lectures on the major systemic fungal infections.

More step study time sounds pretty great too. Good deal for you all.

This has been my main complaint about the last two years. The redundancy has really been pretty staggering. I think I've literally had over five lectures on the major systemic fungal infections.

More step study time sounds pretty great too. Good deal for you all.

Yeah but sometimes we really gloss over some important info. Like Cholera, for instance!

I doubt any movement occurs before the 15th
^^ This. Apparently, there has not been any wait-list movement yet... ugh...

Does anyone happen to know if UF over-accepts students? I've spoken with two people about it and have heard two very different responses: (1) that they do not over-accept at any point-in-time and (2) that they do over-accept students by a considerable amount.

Also, does anyone know if they will tell you the shortcomings in your application as some schools apparently do (e.g. UCF)?

Finally, does anyone happen to have the data from US News and from the AAMC that gives information about the number of students that interviewed, were accepted, and matriculated? I know that they said that they ultimately end up accepting ~2/3 of the ~400 interviewees, but from what I read of last years' applicants, the WL movement was very slow. Which would make sense if they over-accept, but would not make as much sense otherwise.

Thanks for any and all help! Best of luck! :)

UF does over accept students. I called the admissions office last week to ask about waitlist movement. As of last week when I called I was told that there are still 155 people holding acceptances. The goal class size is 135 students. So he said 20 more students would have to withdraw before anyone would be moved from the waitlist. He suspects that most of the withdrawls will come on May 15th, but there is still no gurantee that they will need to go to the waitlist. Hopefully we will see some movement soon!:)

^^ This. Apparently, there has not been any wait-list movement yet... ugh...

Does anyone happen to know if UF over-accepts students? I've spoken with two people about it and have heard two very different responses: (1) that they do not over-accept at any point-in-time and (2) that they do over-accept students by a considerable amount.

Also, does anyone know if they will tell you the shortcomings in your application as some schools apparently do (e.g. UCF)?

Finally, does anyone happen to have the data from US News and from the AAMC that gives information about the number of students that interviewed, were accepted, and matriculated? I know that they said that they ultimately end up accepting ~2/3 of the ~400 interviewees, but from what I read of last years' applicants, the WL movement was very slow. Which would make sense if they over-accept, but would not make as much sense otherwise.

Thanks for any and all help! Best of luck! :)
Yes, If you are planning to reapply to Florida they will discuss your application with you. The instructions on how are on the Rejection letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.