2011-2012 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not get the email, but I have sent in updates so maybe that's why. Best of luck to everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think sending in updates has anything to do with it because I think I actually did send one in after submitting. But I could be wrong. Good luck to you too!
I did not get the email, but I have sent in updates so maybe that's why. Best of luck to everyone :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

i also didn't get the email, but also did submit updates

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided it was worth a gander at 2010-2011 UF Thread, and I found where people spoke of this email. It appears as though a few people who got the email and sent in updates ended up getting an interview. However, people could have not received the email, got the invite, and not posted anything. So, I think time will only tell.

Reference post: #317 (pg7) and #343 (pg8)

Basically the take-home message that I got is that at this point we need to send in whatever updates we can and pray for the best! Good luck everybody! :luck:

I got it as well. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much substance to it. I went ahead and edited my last update though. I actually saw that I put "UM" as a typo once where I meant "UF". Hope they didn't/don't hold that against me :laugh:. :xf::xf:

I think they understand typo's, I mean the email was as general as it gets. Even down to the fact they couldn't even grab our names from the list haha. "Dear [[FIRST]]" :laugh: . Oh wells, good luck y'all! Time to send an update letter!

does the message state to send updates via email, or the online status page? thanks for the help!

Got one but application was submitted two weeks ago because peer letter was late. They haven't really had time to review anything.

Was everyones letter addressed to...."[[First]]" on the update email we just got?? Way to make me feel like a nobody UF haha.

I had sent an update through their application about two weeks ago and still got the email. Already put in my falls grades/updates so hopefully they dont want anything new since then!
Crossing fingers for a phone call!

Hi everyone! Quick question here, does UF COM teach to the boards (Step 1). For example, are the course exams structured similar to the USMLE 1 (I'm quite ok with that)? Thank you!

UF teaches heavily to the boards. Most of the slides that you see in class will have the same or similar information to that in First Aid (with more explanation obviously). The class average for Step 1 always hovers around 231 or so, at least when looking at the data the school has provided to us.

Most of the exams have a similar style of question to that on the Step. For example, Pt presents with syncope and a microcytic anemia on lab work, blah blah blah what treatment would you recommend giving to this patient. Makes you not only figure out the diagnosis but also figure out what Tx you would expect to provide. That being said, the professors themselves write their own questions, which can make them hit or miss sometimes, so it's just one of those things that you can't really control at any school.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, had an exam on Friday. Hope that helps!

II today. they offered me Feb 10th, but I had another interview scheduled already, so I had to take the 24th (which sucks, bcuz I hate getting this pushed back when I'm so antsy already). Still really glad I got this one, especially how late I submitted my secondary - I almost just gave up, thinking I'd waited too long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I just submitted my update so hopefully I will hear back soon.
II today. they offered me Feb 10th, but I had another interview scheduled already, so I had to take the 24th (which sucks, bcuz I hate getting this pushed back when I'm so antsy already). Still really glad I got this one, especially how late I submitted my secondary - I almost just gave up, thinking I'd waited too long.

Congratulations! Are you a UF student?

Same, except I am working in Tampa now (did master's program at USF). Did you receive a phone call from Leila?
Thanks. I was. I graduated last Spring and am working in Gainesville now.

I got this email too about the five interview dates left. I submitted my additional info and am hoping for the best - whatever happens is meant to be! :)

I am a non-traditional student as well... considering how many of you are non-trads, I'm wondering if they leave us til the very end. ;) I'm a certified yoga instructor, liberal arts major, trilingual, and super science nerd.

To submit the additional info, do you just press 'SAVE' at the bottom of the page? Whenever I press this it just says 'Additional information has been saved' but I'm not sure it has been submitted.

That is correct. I called about this yesterday. If it says 'Additional information has been saved', and you can see it upon logging back in, then they can also see it (it has been saved).

To submit the additional info, do you just press 'SAVE' at the bottom of the page? Whenever I press this it just says 'Additional information has been saved' but I'm not sure it has been submitted.

If one has been waitlisted, and they send updates, does that mean they are progressively re-ranked on the wait list as time goes by? When I spoke to the admissions coordinator, they told me there was a ranked waitlist (but they do not give you any indication of rank).

Just curious if anyone knew. Thanks.

Same, except I am working in Tampa now (did master's program at USF). Did you receive a phone call from Leila?

Yep. Did you do that 1-year biomed masters? I have some friends who did that the year prior to matriculating, so I wonder how much it helped them, though I guess you did it the year before applying, so do you think that helped you a lot?

Hello everyone!

I've noticed there are a lot of accepted students looking to find roommates in other disciplines (dental, vet, etc.) I just created a "UF Professional Students Seeking Roommates" facebook group to give students of all kinds a place to connect. If you're interested, please join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/354152051269294/

GO GATORS! :soexcited:

I think it has given me an edge on pharmacology and neuroscience, which has lead me to my current research interests. I definitely did very well at USF with regards to medical sciences. My grad science gpa is >3.8. However, seeing as though I have not received anything from FL schools thus far, and have only had 1 MD interview, I am now thinking it did not help me as much as I had hoped. I just wish the adcom sees that I buckled down and did much better in the medical science courses during grad school. Alas, we shall see...still keeping my fingers crossed for an interview here!! Hopefully this next week will bring good news.

Yep. Did you do that 1-year biomed masters? I have some friends who did that the year prior to matriculating, so I wonder how much it helped them, though I guess you did it the year before applying, so do you think that helped you a lot?

I got the email about sending updates today. Looks like they were just sending them out in batches.

Anthro, I'm currently in the USF med science program and I am hoping to hear some good news of an II soon. I completely agree that you are prepared for whatever the first year of medical school can offer. The USF program is very strenuous and the professors are great. Do you mind me asking what the specific reason was for you taking that route? Congrats on having an interview.

I think it has given me an edge on pharmacology and neuroscience, which has lead me to my current research interests. I definitely did very well at USF with regards to medical sciences. My grad science gpa is >3.8. However, seeing as though I have not received anything from FL schools thus far, and have only had 1 MD interview, I am now thinking it did not help me as much as I had hoped. I just wish the adcom sees that I buckled down and did much better in the medical science courses during grad school. Alas, we shall see...still keeping my fingers crossed for an interview here!! Hopefully this next week will bring good news.

For anyone trying to figure out the emailing thing...
I got both emails? Im hoping thats a good sign? This one said my name though, instead of [first]

I'll PM you.
Anthro, I'm currently in the USF med science program and I am hoping to hear some good news of an II soon. I completely agree that you are prepared for whatever the first year of medical school can offer. The USF program is very strenuous and the professors are great. Do you mind me asking what the specific reason was for you taking that route? Congrats on having an interview.

That's cool. I haven't seen people getting 2 emails... Did you send in an update after the first email and before the second?

For anyone trying to figure out the emailing thing...
I got both emails? Im hoping thats a good sign? This one said my name though, instead of [first]

I got the email about sending updates today. Looks like they were just sending them out in batches.

Yeah I received an email too, does it hold any significance or just a random email to all applicants?

I got the email too on 1/27. I just got a call inviting me for an interview, but I declined. Good luck to all those that are waiting!

Has anyone heard back from the school about financial aid/grants/scholarships from UF yet?

Congrats! and thank you for declining ;) I just added something to my previous update so hopefully that will land me an invitation. :xf:

I got the email too on 1/27. I just got a call inviting me for an interview, but I declined. Good luck to all those that are waiting!

Neeeeevvveeeerrrmind....just got the access to the UF financial aid forms....

II today for 3/2/2012. :soexcited:

Keeping the hope alive :luck:

II today for 3/2/2012. :soexcited:

Keeping the hope alive :luck:
Way to go, my FAV SDN sister!!!!!!!!! I am rooting for you! If you get in here, I'd strongly suggest you attend over all other schools. I'm waiting to see if their financial aid can match the sweetheart deal from Miller - If it does, and JHU is stingy with the cash, then we can be classmates...lol.:thumbup:

Wasn't yesterday supposed to be a response day? Has anyone heard anything?

Wasn't yesterday supposed to be a response day? Has anyone heard anything?

They said we would definitely hear from them today the 15th. they made it sound like the person responsible for contacting us had the right to call or not call right after the meeting which should have been yesterday, and from the feed it looks like very few people get calls versus an email the day after the meeting. so todays the day according to what they told us when i interviewed! fingers crossed!

Still waiting to hear back as well. I think it will be today. =)

Waitlisted a bit ago. Guess that's it for me.

Way to go, my FAV SDN sister!!!!!!!!! I am rooting for you! If you get in here, I'd strongly suggest you attend over all other schools. I'm waiting to see if their financial aid can match the sweetheart deal from Miller - If it does, and JHU is stingy with the cash, then we can be classmates...lol.:thumbup:

Thanks so much for the kind words, and right back at you :biglove:

Hopefully we'll see each other again during second look :luck:

Does UF reject at all? or do they waitlist everyone and reject in July?

Personally I expect the invites to stop end of next week. The email 2 weeks ago said about 5 interview dates left. So with the 1-2 week buffer before actual interview date would result in next week being the final week. Lots of assumptions, I know. But I need something to keep hope haha.

No kidding, it's like I am blowing on the lit fuse that is approaching ever so gradually.

Personally I expect the invites to stop end of next week. The email 2 weeks ago said about 5 interview dates left. So with the 1-2 week buffer before actual interview date would result in next week being the final week. Lots of assumptions, I know. But I need something to keep hope haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.