2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does UIC screen or no? Because someone told me they look for 7 or 8 minimum MCAT subsection and composite of 26??

I'm very worried because this was a UIC GPPA student/UIC medical student now.
If they do screen, it's most likely an MCAT subsection score below 7. No one has ever reported being screened out of UIC and not received the application - so it's difficult not to pass the screen. I could be wrong. But if you have an MCAT subsection of 7 or 8, you should still apply and apply early. Your chances are diminished at all MD schools, but it is still worth trying.

I would take what you hear from a GPPA student with a grain of salt. That is a HS early acceptance program to med school and does have a required ACT score to even be considered for the program. They also might have different requirements to remain in the program compared to you typical applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted. Awaiting Admissions Officer review of my LOR.

Well, I'm not sure if I'll be applying here now because I'm not sure if I will meet the course requirements. It's a real shame because it is my only state school that gives preference to IL residents (other than SIU, but I am not from southern IL). :(

Well, I'm not sure if I'll be applying here now because I'm not sure if I will meet the course requirements. It's a real shame because it is my only state school that gives preference to IL residents (other than SIU, but I am not from southern IL). :(
regarding the behavioral sciences? DO IT still.

One option is to submit "behavior science - like" coursework -- send them the syllabi. tell them why you think it is behavioral science like. I can tell you the person to get into contact with if you are really worried about it. The first year I applied I recalled sending in a syllabus for a modern french history class i took [i took alot of current event history classes]

The other option is to take a course or two this fall, spring, or next summer to complete the coursework. You could potentially do it online.

Honestly - i got accepted and they emailed me to let me know I was missing one of the pre-reqs afterwards. I had it on my transcript... I just listed it wrong on AMCAS... and they accepted it. I'm sure they would take over courses too that fit the description.

regarding the behavioral sciences? DO IT still.

One option is to submit "behavior science - like" coursework -- send them the syllabi. tell them why you think it is behavioral science like. I can tell you the person to get into contact with if you are really worried about it. The first year I applied I recalled sending in a syllabus for a modern french history class i took [i took alot of current event history classes]

The other option is to take a course or two this fall, spring, or next summer to complete the coursework. You could potentially do it online.

Maybe I will! Yes, I need one more behavioral science course. I called in and they said philosophy would not suffice, but perhaps my one course called "Social and Political Philosophy" will do it. There is one other issue: advanced level biology. I only have one course that might remotely be considered advanced biology. It really seems like a long shot for them to acknowledge my courses as meeting their requirements.

Yeah, what is this Behavioral Sciences crap? I was nowhere NEAR aware that there was such a requirement (and especially that two of them be in the same department)... does anyone know if AP credits can count for this, e.g. AP Psychology and AP US History?

Yeah, what is this Behavioral Sciences crap? I was nowhere NEAR aware that there was such a requirement (and especially that two of them be in the same department)... does anyone know if AP credits can count for this, e.g. AP Psychology and AP US History?

UIC is not a fan of AP credit; they like seeing advanced coursework in the area if you use it. You could always call and ask though

Maybe I will! Yes, I need one more behavioral science course. I called in and they said philosophy would not suffice, but perhaps my one course called "Social and Political Philosophy" will do it. There is one other issue: advanced level biology. I only have one course that might remotely be considered advanced biology. It really seems like a long shot for them to acknowledge my courses as meeting their requirements.
I would still recommend applying. Put in the coursework you want them to consider as acceptable. Once you get accepted/interviewed, they will let you know if it counts or not. If it doesn't or if you are worried it won't, just plan ahead now. I'm assuming you are still in school so this fall maybe take a anthro course (does your school have med anthropology??) and maybe a fun advanced biology course (I assume 300+ levels??)

If you aren't in school or have a full course load, sign up for a night class at a local college (or CC). I took one 300+ microbiology + lab at a local college in my area in 6-weeks.... this was in Chicago and ended before July 15th [Loyola to be specific]. So worse case scenario you just go there. You could probably find 6-week social science summer courses at Loyola or Roosevelt U too (probably even UIC - never looked into summer courses there).

The Pre-reqs don't need to be complete when you apply -- just be the time you matriculate. There is a lot of time to get all the coursework done and lots of places you can do it -- it doesn't need to be at your home University.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would still recommend applying. Put in the coursework you want them to consider as acceptable. Once you get accepted/interviewed, they will let you know if it counts or not. If it doesn't or if you are worried it won't, just plan ahead now. I'm assuming you are still in school so this fall maybe take a anthro course (does your school have med anthropology??) and maybe a fun advanced biology course (I assume 300+ levels??)

If you aren't in school or have a full course load, sign up for a night class at a local college (or CC). I took one 300+ microbiology + lab at a local college in my area in 6-weeks.... this was in Chicago and ended before July 15th [Loyola to be specific]. So worse case scenario you just go there. You could probably find 6-week social science summer courses at Loyola or Roosevelt U too (probably even UIC - never looked into summer courses there).

The Pre-reqs don't need to be complete when you apply -- just be the time you matriculate. There is a lot of time to get all the coursework done and lots of places you can do it -- it doesn't need to be at your home University.
I am running into the same problem...altho I have 3 behavioral science/social science classes 2 are not from the same subject...I graduated college but i will go going to CC this fall for a statistics class...if I add another social science will I have to add that to my amcas and then have to spend 6 weeks reverifying?

can someone please post the secondary questions? good luck to all and I'm praying for a miracle. :'(

I am running into the same problem...altho I have 3 behavioral science/social science classes 2 are not from the same subject...I graduated college but i will go going to CC this fall for a statistics class...if I add another social science will I have to add that to my amcas and then have to spend 6 weeks reverifying?
You don't have to add future coursework to AMCAS -- nothing you do next year needs to be on the AMCAS. It's not on a transcript yet, nor does it have a grade.

Just take the course (maybe let UIC know via an update letter in the fall), and be prepared to send them the transcript with the coursework come next May if you are accepted or on the waitlist. You can also send them a new transcript in December. Nothing has to be done with AMCAS though... as it is all future work. For UIC, just leave it blank (if you can) or mark it with classes that sound "correct" [i did that last year just to get passed that page]

Thanks for all the help. Taking an additional class probably isn't an option for me. However, it looks like my one bio class will suffice. I just need to find out if that particular philosophy class of mine will suffice as well.

I hate the question "Are you now enrolled in a college or university" cuz im enrolled in summer but will be graduating in august and then going to a CC for like 2 classes...i called them up but the counselor was kind of unhelpful...id hate for them to look at my app in like sept and see that im not enrolled full-time or something

I hate the question "Are you now enrolled in a college or university" cuz im enrolled in summer but will be graduating in august and then going to a CC for like 2 classes...i called them up but the counselor was kind of unhelpful...id hate for them to look at my app in like sept and see that im not enrolled full-time or something

I graduated with my bachelors in may and will be starting a one year masters in august. I said that I was enrolled and listed my graduate school, just so they'd have an idea of what my plans are for the next year.

I graduated with my bachelors in may and will be starting a one year masters in august. I said that I was enrolled and listed my graduate school, just so they'd have an idea of what my plans are for the next year.
I just listed my current school...its in my amcas ill be at my community college for a few courses...but its not like its dishonest because at time of submission I am currently at my university

Has anyone else had problems entering activities into the secondary? It tells me that like half of the email address I entered for contacts are invalid...but they are actual email addresses

Has anyone else had problems entering activities into the secondary? It tells me that like half of the email address I entered for contacts are invalid...but they are actual email addresses

It gave me this error when I had a space after the email address (I had copy/pasted from my AMCAS).

So I was considering this option again. Would it be acceptable to mention on my secondary that I would only do this if I were offered acceptance? I mean, it would be really silly to enroll in a class before having been offered a spot at the school, no? If that's the case, then I am definitely doing this. Hopefully my "social" philosophy class will suffice though!

So I was considering this option again. Would it be acceptable to mention on my secondary that I would only do this if I were offered acceptance? I mean, it would be really silly to enroll in a class before having been offered a spot at the school, no? If that's the case, then I am definitely doing this. Hopefully my "social" philosophy class will suffice though!
You don't have to mention future coursework in your amcas application (i didn't), nor do you have to tell UIC your plans on completing your pre-req. They know that you know that it's conditional upon your acceptance that you complete these requirements. If they like you, they will interview you regardless of how many pre-reqs you need to complete -- otherwise the pre-reqs would be required completed before your application, not before matriculation. They will inform you via email if you are missing one or more requirement. That would be the time to say, well hey, I took this class - here's the syllabus and transcript [I just resent my transcript then saying that I had mislabeled it on my AMCAS and AMCAS didn't catch it].

I got accepted in early November. By end of Novemeber, I had received an email letting me know that they thought I was missing some coursework. If I had been missing the coursework, it would have given me plenty of time to complete the pre-reqs.

I wouldn't tell them you are only going to do the pre-reqs if accepted. Not worth it. Just don't mention missing any pre-reqs in your application.

You don't have to mention future coursework in your amcas application (i didn't), nor do you have to tell UIC your plans on completing your pre-req. They know that you know that it's conditional upon your acceptance that you complete these requirements. If they like you, they will interview you regardless of how many pre-reqs you need to complete -- otherwise the pre-reqs would be required completed before your application, not before matriculation. They will inform you via email if you are missing one or more requirement. That would be the time to say, well hey, I took this class - here's the syllabus and transcript [I just resent my transcript then saying that I had mislabeled it on my AMCAS and AMCAS didn't catch it].

I got accepted in early November. By end of Novemeber, I had received an email letting me know that they thought I was missing some coursework. If I had been missing the coursework, it would have given me plenty of time to complete the pre-reqs.

I wouldn't tell them you are only going to do the pre-reqs if accepted. Not worth it. Just don't mention missing any pre-reqs in your application.

Great advice. Now I have to check if they ask about pre-reqs in the secondary like some other schools do. If not, I will just apply away. Thanks for the help, sir. This has really calmed me down since this is my (our) state school and all.

EDIT: You are a girl. Sorry for addressing you as a guy haha. Thank you, ma'am.

Last edited:
Great advice. Now I have to check if they ask about pre-reqs in the secondary like some other schools do. If not, I will just apply away. Thanks for the help, sir. This has really calmed me down since this is my (our) state school and all.

EDIT: You are a girl. Sorry for addressing you as a guy haha. Thank you, ma'am.
No worries. :)

They do ask about pre-reqs... they did last year. I can't recall if you can submit if one are empty... but I'm sure you can. I do recall that since I missed labeled my BESS, I couldn't get all 3 filled out last year... so I just placed another course as fulfilling the BESS requirement. They caught on that it didn't, but hey, the application was submitted and I was accepted.

I decided to post this time line (posted on the 2009 and 2010 threads) that was of great service to me this past cycle. I hope that it finds you well.

START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page. (hit NEXT button)

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C.

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.
D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.
M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.
N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.
S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.
X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

FINISH

---

*** PLEASE BEAR IN MIND that this info came from 2009. Therefore, the whole process may have changed since then, and there is no guarantee to this information. But it worked for me (even though I was given the same warning) and the time line was accurate.

Good look to all of you class of 2016 applicants!!

I still don't have the bloody secondary and was verified june 6

I still don't have the bloody secondary and was verified june 6
I got mine today so they truely screen..well least that means my gpa meets the cut tho i dunno wut it was
just keep waiting itll come...

I got mine today so they truely screen..well least that means my gpa meets the cut tho i dunno wut it was
just keep waiting itll come...

I have a pretty high GPA and >30 MCAT, and am quickly becoming paranoid parrot that I got screened out.

I have a pretty high GPA and >30 MCAT, and am quickly becoming paranoid parrot that I got screened out.
im OOS with a 3.42 scigpa 3.3 cgpa (w/ upward trend going from engineering-->bio major) and a 32Q (10PS 11VR 11BS) mcat just to give u a picture...the only thing i got working for me is my service in the IDF so unless that pushed me thru I think ull get it in due time. im sure if ur IS itll come...

im OOS with a 3.42 scigpa 3.3 cgpa (w/ upward trend going from engineering-->bio major) and a 32Q (10PS 11VR 11BS) mcat just to give u a picture...the only thing i got working for me is my service in the IDF so unless that pushed me thru I think ull get it in due time. im sure if ur IS itll come...

I'm guessing you'll get screened in.

Yeah, i'm IS and really banking on this school.

The requirements are just prior to matriculation...not application. I wouldn't say "I'll take this class if I'm accepted" lol, however your application won't be penalized because you haven't already taken a pre-req at the time you apply. You technically have 3 semesters to get that figured out.

if there really is a screen...it's EXTREMELY low. I think they just send out their secondaries in batches so just be patient. It's still early!

Good luck everyone!

(current M2 here)

Can anyone clarify what this last part means?

Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words) If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate 'Not Applicable'

What are some examples of "advantages"? Also, is Dean's List considered a "noteworthy achievement"?

3500 characters seems like a lot to talk about what we're doing with our lives. I'm close to 2000 and I feel like anymore is just going to be extraneous...
Thoughts?

Can anyone clarify what this last part means?

Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don't exceed 150 words) If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate 'Not Applicable'

What are some examples of "advantages"? Also, is Dean's List considered a "noteworthy achievement"?

I took this question to mean any advantages/notable achievements that gave you a boost in your education, such as being part of a program like college POSSE, High Sight in HS (you would only know of this program if you attended a private Chicago HS), or even getting accepted into the full IB program or a magnet HS. Getting into those programs is a notable achievement and provides a leg up in your education. Dean's List isn't an advantaged that improved your education.

Complications during your education are similar to the list that they provide above -- it's anything that was detrimental to your education.

I hope we both do...if u got a high mcat/gpa and in state theres no reason u wont...just sit back and wait

I would recommend just sitting back and waiting post-secondary, but I would not so assuming you necessarily are all but guaranteed an interview.

My MCAT and GPA are decent, I'm IS, and am a reapplicant who did not get an interview last year despite applying early.

Moral of the story: just like all schools, interviews are given out at UIC for more than just numbers! MSAR data says only ~1/3 IS get interviewed :xf:

I would recommend just sitting back and waiting post-secondary, but I would not so assuming you necessarily are all but guaranteed an interview.

My MCAT and GPA are decent, I'm IS, and am a reapplicant who did not get an interview last year despite applying early.

Moral of the story: just like all schools, interviews are given out at UIC for more than just numbers! MSAR data says only ~1/3 IS get interviewed :xf:
we were referring to the secondary not interviews....cuz the poster hasnt gotten the secondary yet and was getting kind of panicky

as the poster in question, yup
lol I like to watch finding nemo at times like this "just keep swimming just keep swimming just keep swimming" *sigh* no adcom is gonna believe I was in a military hahaha

!!!ALERT!!!:

Sorry to be alarmist, but if you try to copy and paste your essays into the designated fields with Microsoft Word, some of the punctuation (especially apostrophes) get turned into weird characters (after pasting your essay click to a different page and go back and you'll see what I mean - it will also show up in the summary page). To avoid this simply retype the punctuations within the designated fields and it will be good. I found this out after calling Admissions. Best of luck!

!!!ALERT!!!:

Sorry to be alarmist, but if you try to copy and paste your essays into the designated fields with Microsoft Word, some of the punctuation (especially apostrophes) get turned into weird characters (after pasting your essay click to a different page and go back and you'll see what I mean - it will also show up in the summary page). To avoid this simply retype the punctuations within the designated fields and it will be good. I found this out after calling Admissions. Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for the heads up!

!!!ALERT!!!:

good call. I submitted last year with the funny characters... made me paranoid that I wouldn't get an interview for awhile. haha.

Submitted application Tuesday (7/5) and received secondary today (7/8) - I'm guessing the screen is very minimal

Submitted mine last night. Now it says 'Application is in Process' woohoo! Happy to see it changed! Fingers crossed.

we were referring to the secondary not interviews....cuz the poster hasnt gotten the secondary yet and was getting kind of panicky

lol woops, my bad. I must not have read that very thoroughly. In that case................

......................disregard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.