2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
US military pays for med school, health promotion scholarship program or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats!

killer MCAT.

still waiting on my decision :xf: (also from cali, completed before you though :scared:)

Thanks very much! I worked like crazy studying for that MCAT. Ironically not as much as I worked for that 3.1 gpa, but that's a whole other story. :)

Good luck to you here and at other schools. Being from cali is tough!

I love Illinois but the tuition is crazzzzy ($70000 for OOS) :eek:

I feel you there. :( Almost tempered my excitement over the interview when I looked back and saw it was THAT school. Most private schools are cheaper I think.

Nice to hear about the interviews at UIC! Congrats and hope the interviews go well.... :) ( for the individual with the 39 MCAT, great job!) as for the rest of us, hopefully we will hear something well in the coming days.

So, I am assuming I have been screened out but I am not sure.

When I log into the applicant status page it says my status is "process complete" but I never received an email with the link to the secondary. I tried calling the phone number they provided but I get an automated system that does not answer any of my questions.

Anyone else have the same situation or at least can give me an explanation?

Hey, just a heads up to those interested (not sure if this has been mentioned yet) - UIC Chicago has done a major curriculum redesign. M1 (and M2s somewhat) have dramatically reduced lecture hours and are now encouraged to do more active and self-studying learning. They didn't tell any of us until the end of orientation a few weeks ago.

Online schedule

I don't know if this effects any of you applying - but some M1s were very upset as they wanted the old more-traditional curriculum. Now we are just guinea pigs

- and many of us M2s are totally jealous that you have so much less class! :rolleyes: They reduced it from ~76% to 58% I believe...first semester was hell. I honestly have no idea how my classmates attended all classes AND had time to study (very talented people). The curriculum is still considerably traditional imo...just less lecture = less redundancy *hopefully*

I don't like being "guinea pigs" either and completely understand that frustration from how they changed the M2 schedule. However, the amount of lecture we had last year first semester was unnecessary and needed to be reformed. Also, it wasn't a huge secret that they were keeping from everyone until enrollment was finalized. They were planning for curriculum changes and to "equalize" the 4 campuses to take place over the next few years. They've been saying that since I was applying at least and it's true. However a few months ago that timeline was reduced drastically (as you can see).

I'm personally not crazy about your afternoon lectures or mandatory activities in general...but I would trade last year's schedule for the new M1 schedule in a heartbeat.

Some of my class complain about small group requirements, but the M3s are extremely jealous that we have Fridays off. So I guess everything is relative and it's hard to appreciate how things may have changed for the better w/o knowing how badly they sucked the year before. :thumbup:

fyi - I only glanced at the last 2 pages so I'm not sure if anything else has been mentioned about this either

The admission office won't reply to any of my calls or emails, and I don't know what is meant by an upper-level biology course. The site says 200-level courses, but the only 200-level courses offered at my school are for graduate students.

Do you guys think a course entitled "Neurobiology of Behavior" qualify as an upper-level bio course, or one of their behavioral/social science requirements?

The admission office won't reply to any of my calls or emails, and I don't know what is meant by an upper-level biology course. The site says 200-level courses, but the only 200-level courses offered at my school are for graduate students.

Do you guys think a course entitled "Neurobiology of Behavior" qualify as an upper-level bio course, or one of their behavioral/social science requirements?

I think this is getting close to a time in the cycle, where the admission office needs to go through many many applications, which can be why there is a delay in a response from them to you. Typically what is meant by upper level biology courses are primarily 200 level courses at many universities and colleges. These are basically the next upper courses after Introductory Biology I and II. I know in my university, the next upper level Biology courses like Physiology, Anatomy, Genetics... etc.... all these courses are at the 200 level. The course you described, in your course catalog, do you happen to know which area of study it is from? For the behavioral/social science, I think they want to courses from the same area of study (Like two psychology courses, or two sociology courses).

I love Illinois but the tuition is crazzzzy ($70000 for OOS) :eek:

I don't understand how the average debt on the MSAR is so similar for most schools. Do the more expensive schools give out more aid?

I don't understand how the average debt on the MSAR is so similar for most schools. Do the more expensive schools give out more aid?

you cant get useful information from MSAR with average debt because it is very bimodal for in state vs out of state.

maybe even "trimodal"

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got an interview invite today:):):):):) does anyone know how many students they interview each year ??

Has anyone else not noticed their status change from 'Application is in Process'? Mine has never changed to anything else and I was complete on 7/7. What does this mean?!

Has anyone else not noticed their status change from 'Application is in Process'? Mine has never changed to anything else and I was complete on 7/7. What does this mean?!

Same here. Maybe this is a hold?

It is interesting to know that they are emailing invites as well! Best wishes to us all and hope we get an interview here.

Same here. Maybe this is a hold?

Have you been checking your status routinely? I know that it is possible to change from "applicant in process" to "application in process" based on the above post.

Have you been checking your status routinely? I know that it is possible to change from "applicant in process" to "application in process" based on the above post.

I have literally been checking my status daily, if not multiple times a day, since I was complete on 7/7 (yeah, compulsive). I've never seen my status change. I'm curious if I've just been skipped over, my status changed within hours so I never caught it, or what...? It's kind of making me nervous. I'm IS and this is my top choice school.

I have literally been checking my status daily, if not multiple times a day, since I was complete on 7/7 (yeah, compulsive). I've never seen my status change. I'm curious if I've just been skipped over, my status changed within hours so I never caught it, or what...? It's kind of making me nervous. I'm IS and this is my top choice school.

I'm IS as well. I honestly would call them on Thursday and ask them for an update. I think everyone is supposed to receive "applicant in process" status eventually.

You're not alone, I've never changed either from what I've noticed. I check quite often as well.

I check my status regularly, daily or every other day. I have never seen it change.

Hmm.... what is up with this?! It's bizarre to me - I figured they would have at least reviewed us by this point, especially since they have given II's out to people who were complete after I was. Maybe they just don't always update your status? I have no idea. But it's frustrating me.

Hmm.... what is up with this?! It's bizarre to me - I figured they would have at least reviewed us by this point, especially since they have given II's out to people who were complete after I was. Maybe they just don't always update your status? I have no idea. But it's frustrating me.

I hear you. I was complete 7/13. It's possible we missed a status update sometime in between, or maybe we just have slower reviewers.

Definitely call this Thursday. It's possible you have a slow reviewer but my status changed after 2 weeks and i was complete in early august. Applicant process only means under review based on the above post.

Definitely call this Thursday. It's possible you have a slow reviewer but my status changed after 2 weeks and i was complete in early august. Applicant process only means under review based on the above post.

Why Thursday? Did they adopt Loyola's policy?

The same thing happened to me at SUNY Upstate, Penn State and now here. I was complete after a lot of people who submitted later than I did, despite submitting every document, test grade, reference and such. I must carry bad luck or something. Anyways, I thought about this problem like I would if I was an Adcom. The biggest pile of applications have to be received within the first few days of secondary release...and the rest trickle in later on. I would forget about the big pile (all of us application in progress individuals) until I deal with the little piles. If I were to apply again, I would submit my AMCAS at least 2 weeks later than I did this year.

I also noticed the "application in process" on my status.

Submitted 8/19.

my status also says "application in process" and i've been complete since 7/14. I just called the admissions office and they said to call back on thursday. :confused:

Don't worry guys! I am sure you will hear something well! I think there should not be too much difference between Application in Process and Applicant in Process. Maybe I think this year it may not matter much. I think they may have changed the way they give invites. They may email/snail mail you to tell you that you have an interview, and then when check on the website, it will probably show dates/time on the status page.

Interview invite! It came via email, actually -- kind of surprising. I was all set to refresh the status page every day until something changed.

Stats: 36T, 3.55 sGPA, 3.75 cGPA, from Illinois, undergrad at HYP. Am really hopeful -- given my track record of interview invites/rejections so far, if my own home state school rejected me, I think that would've been indicative of death for me this cycle...

Also, I'm increasingly starting to think that this really IS a numbers game. No one gives a damn about my unusual story/world-view/vision, my URM status, the crap I've been through and made it out alive, or the talents I have that make me "diverse."

I think this is getting close to a time in the cycle, where the admission office needs to go through many many applications, which can be why there is a delay in a response from them to you. Typically what is meant by upper level biology courses are primarily 200 level courses at many universities and colleges. These are basically the next upper courses after Introductory Biology I and II. I know in my university, the next upper level Biology courses like Physiology, Anatomy, Genetics... etc.... all these courses are at the 200 level. The course you described, in your course catalog, do you happen to know which area of study it is from? For the behavioral/social science, I think they want to courses from the same area of study (Like two psychology courses, or two sociology courses).

The class is basically an introduction to neurobio, and is offered in the Molecular and Cellular Biology department.

My school is kind of silly, though, because the classes that they recommend you take to fulfill the premed requirements in bio are Introductory Molecular Bio and Introductory Genetics. There's technically no such thing as simply "Introductory Bio."

As a result, ironically, all my biology knowledge was too involved (read: useless) for the MCAT. As I prepared, I had to brush up on stuff I learned in AP bio and learn the rest from the MCAT prep book.

Interview invite! It came via email, actually -- kind of surprising. I was all set to refresh the status page every day until something changed.

Looks like they are emailing/snail mailing interview invites! (But the status page will change with dates) :)

The class is basically an introduction to neurobio, and is offered in the Molecular and Cellular Biology department.

My school is kind of silly, though, because the classes that they recommend you take to fulfill the premed requirements in bio are Introductory Molecular Bio and Introductory Genetics. There's technically no such thing as simply "Introductory Bio."

As a result, ironically, all my biology knowledge was too involved (read: useless) for the MCAT. As I prepared, I had to brush up on stuff I learned in AP bio and learn the rest from the MCAT prep book.

It seems like that neuro class would count as an advanced level course. def let the admission office know and hopefully this will be taken care

Call first thing tomorrow and speak with an admissions rep.

Yeah, I think I'm going to. Should I just ask about the status of the application, or should I also mention that I haven't noticed my status change since I was marked complete? Hmm

Yeah, I think I'm going to. Should I just ask about the status of the application, or should I also mention that I haven't noticed my status change since I was marked complete? Hmm

Either or: they both deal with the same question. You have IS preference, so I would have at least expected a status change if you submitted your app in early July.

Originally Posted by QuinnWatson
Hi everyone! I decided to post this time line (posted on past years' threads) that was of great service to me this past cycle. I hope that it finds you well.

START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page.

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C.

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.
D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.
M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.
N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.
S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.
X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

FINISH

---

*** PLEASE BEAR IN MIND that this info came from last year's thread! Therefore, the whole process may have changed since then, and there is no guarantee to this information. But it worked for me (even though I was given the same warning) and the time line was accurate.

Good look to all of you class of 2015 applicants!!

I saw this on last year's thread.

I remember seeing that post earlier in this thread, which is why I hadn't called about the "application in progress" status. I assumed they were just going to re-review me later.

Either way, if you do call tomorrow, einstein, let me know what they say! I'm at work during their call hours on Thursdays!

I remember seeing that post earlier in this thread, which is why I hadn't called about the "application in progress" status. I assumed they were just going to re-review me later.

Either way, if you do call tomorrow, einstein, let me know what they say! I'm at work during their call hours on Thursdays!

Will do. Does anyone know their call hours on Thursdays, Chicago time? I can't find them anywhere! Is there a special #, too?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](312) 996-5635

I would call in the morning hours.

I just called the Admissions Office. They said it's not unusual to not have a status change, that my file is complete, and is either in line to be reviewed or under review, and that they hadn't heard anything back. Pretty general information.

Any idea on how to indicate preference for a campus, pre-interview/post-interview? I'm at UIUC but would love to be in Chicago for med school

Wondering if anyone else has checked their status lately and a list of interview dates has come up??

I havent gotten an email or anything saying that I've been selected for an interview but it says "Interview date not selected" in my status box!

Update: Just called the number listed above and although I didn't get an email or anything I just gave them my AMCAS number and they scheduled it! --- so anyone else that didn't get an email but sees the interview dates - try calling!

Last edited:
I have had the "Applicant in Process" status since 8/24...what's taking so long? Anyone have any idea, has anyone had this status for 3 weeks or so?

I had the applicant in process since 8/19 and finally it changed today...so it may take as long for you!

I have had the "Applicant in Process" status since 8/24...what's taking so long? Anyone have any idea, has anyone had this status for 3 weeks or so?

I have been the same since August 9th. Nevertheless, I got my new MCAT score on August 30th.

Status
Not open for further replies.