2011-2012 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted! Got my letter today, interviewed on 11/28. I live in Boston, MA so letters must have been sent awhile ago. Good luck to everyone still applying- this was my third time applying to KU, so persistance definetly helps. While I hope you all get in, if you don't get into KU but still want a school in the area I would really recommend KCUMB in Kansas City, MO. Otherwise, see you at KU in August!

I just received the mail! Accepted!! First acceptance and I could not be happier. Lysase, congratulations! We just might be future classmates!

Congrats!

MMPman, when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Since I have been living out of the country, they set up an interview day for me on Dec 13th, so I am assuming everyone who has interviewed so far will hear within a day or two.

Well looks like I won't be headed to KU. Tough getting a rejection but I am grateful to already have an acceptance somewhere else. Good luck to everyone still waiting on their letters!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright boys and girls, finally coming out of the woodwork after a 2 months hiatus : /

Any one else doing the 2nd round of early decision interviews here in the next couple of weeks?

Otherwise, has anyone in the thread been accepted by KU in the 2nd interview? Any advice?

Accepted! Greatest birthday and Christmas present ever. :D

Interviewed 11/30 (afternoon). Invited 11/4. Completed 11/2.

Congratulations to all those who have received the good news as well. See you guys in July.

Last edited:
Congratulations to those who have been accepted, and good luck to those who haven't heard yet...

Last edited:
I'm starting to look for apartments for next year. My fiancee is going to grad school at KU in Lawrence, so between the two cities we decided it would be easier to live in Lawrence and I would commute. Anyone else making this drive?

Does anyone know when we get the information binders from KU regarding dates/financial aid/etc? and if anyone may be interested in putting together a carpool from Lawrence, send me a message

I'm starting to look for apartments for next year. My fiancee is going to grad school at KU in Lawrence, so between the two cities we decided it would be easier to live in Lawrence and I would commute. Anyone else making this drive?

I did this drive for a while in pharmacy school and I-70 is surprisingly easy to take to the med center (compared to driving I-35 at rush hour). I would try to stick to the north side of Lawrence and take I-70 rather than living further south and taking K-10. K-10 and I-35 during rush hour will make you pull your hair out...not worth it when trying to wind down from traffic. (this is assuming you don't already know all of this)

On another note, carpooling may be interesting b/c it may be difficult to find someone who will keep the same schedule as you. I suppose one could always study at the library for a while until the other is ready to go home.

Lyase, I used to live in Lawrence so this was a concern of mine, but have since moved. I have heard from students that it is definitely doable to commute for the first 2 years. However, I heard it gets a little more difficult for years 3 & 4 but i have no personal experience with this.

Does anyone know when we get the information binders from KU regarding dates/financial aid/etc? and if anyone may be interested in putting together a carpool from Lawrence, send me a message

In the email sent last month it said that they should be sent out later this month or early February.

Thanks for the info. I did not receive an email, just the mailed acceptance letter.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and rather than combing through 12 pages of text I was wondering if anyone could tell me approximately how long it takes for your secondary to be processed? My file was "completed" 11/22 and I'm OOS.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I'm new to this forum and rather than combing through 12 pages of text I was wondering if anyone could tell me approximately how long it takes for your secondary to be processed? My file was "completed" 11/22 and I'm OOS.
Thanks!
You could always ask them and follow up. I turned mine in December 11 and was complete December 18th. I am in state though, but I know there are some people in this forum who are OOS and were complete sooner than you have stated. So I would just call the admissions office.

Krismd2016,
Hey, just wondering if you have been invited for an interview? I called the admissions office and they said they would likely send invitations for the feb interviews this week. I interviewed like a month after my file was complete last year, but it's been over 2 months since my current app file has been complete and I've still not heard from them.

Archersterling, I was wondering the same thing! I was complete on 11/17, and am OOS. I spent the latter half of this week obsessively checking my email. So if I understand correctly, an invitation will be sent via email. What should I expect to receive if I don't even qualify for an interview? A rejection email? I'm extremely anxious.

Thanks for your help guys!

I was invited back in 2010 and was wondering if out there reinterview acceptance rates exist?

Interview invite finally! Sent 6 pm CST. OOS w/ KS ties (KU undergrad) 27S, 3.7 gpa, good EC's. Interviewing Feb 10- the last day!

Also got my interview invite today! Interviewing Feb. 9th, early in the AM. So stoked I don't know what to do with myself. I'm OOS (Missouri) with lots of volunteering/research at KU.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

Good luck and congrats to all!

Just got my II as well yesterday for Feb 10th. Became OOS this year (Florida has more schools, so my odds are better as a FL resident, haha), but very strong ties to the state (went to HS in KCK burbs, parents still live there). 3.78/35Q, complete late august.

WIll you guys also be attending this optional 'reception?'

Also got my interview invite today! Interviewing Feb. 9th, early in the AM. So stoked I don't know what to do with myself. I'm OOS (Missouri) with lots of volunteering/research at KU.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

Good luck and congrats to all!

Same! OOS (KC, Missouri) and I'm also interviewing on the 9th! Looks like I'll be seeing ya! Good luck to everyone interviewing on the 9th & 10th!! :)

Krismd2016,
Hey, just wondering if you have been invited for an interview? I called the admissions office and they said they would likely send invitations for the feb interviews this week. I interviewed like a month after my file was complete last year, but it's been over 2 months since my current app file has been complete and I've still not heard from them.
Yeah I interviewed back in November and was accepted in December. I believe they just sent out interviews for Feb...the last interviews dates. Good Luck to you :)

ufl,
I will be attending the Feb. 9th reception. I briefly considered attending the one on the 8th, but I'll probably be too nervous about the next morning.

AllAmerican15,
See you then!!

Third time applying (first two as OOS, now In-state). Current Master's student and EMT working in EMS. Invite sent yesterday evening.

Anyone know what the financial aid situation is like for OOSers? I heard that u cant get state residency after 1st yr so basically have to pay OOS tuition all 4 yrs. Do they give many grants or scholarships?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Any other MO residents getting interviews here? I live on the Missouri side of Kansas City, but would definitely attend KU. Sadly, I don't have ties to the state or school, and I'm pretty sure I won't be getting an II at this point.

Is OOS tuition 50K + fees? Just making sure cuz the website says "semiannually."

Just wanted to update that I received a packet in the mail from KU. And I also have a shiny new @kumc.edu email address :)

Good luck to those interviewing and/or awaiting a decision! :luck:

Any other MO residents getting interviews here? I live on the Missouri side of Kansas City, but would definitely attend KU. Sadly, I don't have ties to the state or school, and I'm pretty sure I won't be getting an II at this point.

I live on the MO side of KC as well (Lee's Summit, to be specific) and received an II on the 19th for 2/9/12. There is hope! Although, I must admit, I wasn't expecting to hear from them bc of their harsh OOS acceptance rates.

cham, thanks for the update. Did you get your packet in the mail? I have not received the packet but did get the secure email from KU for the kumc email address.

I live on state line, but on the MO side also. I got an interview invite 1/20/12 for 2/9/12. I think I need to stop reading these threads though! Anyone know what percentage of us late interviewers they accept? I read that they leave OOS interviews for Jan/Feb, is this true or are some of you who've already been accepted OOS?

I have a weak GPA, so I'm really freaking out about this interview!

I live on state line, but on the MO side also. I got an interview invite 1/20/12 for 2/9/12. I think I need to stop reading these threads though! Anyone know what percentage of us late interviewers they accept? I read that they leave OOS interviews for Jan/Feb, is this true or are some of you who've already been accepted OOS?

Good to know at least some of us Missourians are getting KU interviews! I have a weak mcat, so I'm kind of in the same boat (though no interview invite...)

Well good luck!

For anyone who has already gone or is going to the reception, what's the attire? It doesn't say in the "invitation" so assume most people will wear their suits?

I am an OOS from North Eastern Oklahoma, I had an interview on 11/8 and was accepted on 11/17.

Did anyone list Salina or Wichita as their top choice?

Same. Haven't received the packet yet but already set up my e-mail account with the e-mail they sent. One of my classmates did receive a packet but not the e-mail. She said the packet does include info for setting up the e-mail amongst other things such as placing a deposit and such.

Well good luck!

For anyone who has already gone or is going to the reception, what's the attire? It doesn't say in the "invitation" so assume most people will wear their suits?

I am probably going to call them...I was thinking more business casual?

According to the admissions office, letters regarding the status of the applicants who interviewed earlier this month have been sent out.

Well good luck!

Got an email back, business casual is suitable, no need to be in a full suit.

Hey all, I'm trying to find interview questions that were asked this year at KU interviews. I've found the general page (the one with the pie graph which tells you how stressful people though it was and what type of interview) and one specific page that listed questions about what troubled them the most about a clinical experience ect. Are there more of these somewhere? I really have looked but I'm am terrible at navigating this site!

What reception are you referring to? Haven't been on here in a while...
It's a reception for students interviewing at the end of this week. They have one Wednesday night before the interviews and Thursday after.

Interviewed this morning, and am very pleased with the experience overall. The students and faculty were all so warm and helpful. Good luck to those of you interviewing tomorrow!

(rock chalk).

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those still waiting! I will also be starting at KU Med in the fall and will be looking for a roommate. I own a townhome a few blocks west of KU Med (mission cliff townhomes). 5-10 minute walk to campus. My place is a 3 stories, 2 bedroom, 3.5 bath, over 1600 sq ft. Pretty awesome setup for a med student... place is already furnished and everything set up (cable, internet, electricity, etc). Really all you would need to move in is bedroom furniture, etc. Second room is really large, big enough to have plenty of room for desk/study space with own bathroom. I'm a male, but really no preferance to a male or female roommate...just looking for someone with same schedule and lifestyle as me. If anyone is interested in more info please feel free to PM me. I also posted in the Facebook Class of 2016 page, feel free to get on there and message me as well. Let me know if anyone has questions!

...waiting...

I interviewed last week and KU put on a great show for us OOS candidates. Everyone was super nice and there was an incredible hot lunch (much better than the sandwich/chips at other schools) with cake for dessert! Mmmmmmm. Then the reception afterward had a great fruit and cheese spread. Met an M2 who drove me down to tour the JDOC clinic and that was awesome as well. Very glad I attended the interview.

I interviewed last week and KU put on a great show for us OOS candidates. Everyone was super nice and there was an incredible hot lunch (much better than the sandwich/chips at other schools) with cake for dessert! Mmmmmmm. Then the reception afterward had a great fruit and cheese spread. Met an M2 who drove me down to tour the JDOC clinic and that was awesome as well. Very glad I attended the interview.

Bravo for the OOS spectacle,,,I am waiting to be called to interview here and have forgotten about this, too late and all, but our post is encouragin. Good luck to you and everyone! ANd congrats to others!

Status
Not open for further replies.