2012-2013 Albert Einstein of Yeshiva Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Einstein but is it just me or does the list look a little disappointing? Especially orthopedic surgery

I think if you compare Einsteins match results to other schools, you'll find that the number of people who match into specialties is pretty good, and also the locations at which they match as well..

(Ortho and ED are both fields I am considering)

Members don't see this ad.

I love Einstein but is it just me or does the list look a little disappointing? Especially orthopedic surgery

This is a very strong list, in terms of specialties, but mostly in terms of programs. A good majority of the students are going to top hospitals in the country, regardless of the field. A spot at a top program for internal medicine (for example) is just as competitive, if not more so, than a non-top program in a more competitive field. Ortho is very competitive, and the mere fact that eight people matched into it (not to mention 4 rad onc, 6 derm, optho, ent, etc) means that Einstein graduates are well-trained and desirable for top programs and top fields.

Last edited:

8 orthopedic residencies and that's dissapointing? I'm sorry, that is a bit idiotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm no expert in reading match lists - thanks for the feedback!!

I hope we receive interview invitation or pre-interveiw rejection by next Friday.

yea i am very impressed with einstein's 2013 match list, particularly given that i am interested in radiology

Would any current Einstein student happen to know what the average step 1 score for Einstein was in any of the recent past years?

I am not quite sure, but they keep telling us that Einstein students score above average on every topic. Given our match list, I am assuming that we are doing really well.

So do many students skip lectures and watch at home? How many classes have mandatory attendance?

Small groups and labs are mandatory. Lectures are not mandatory. There are students in my class that never go to class, while others consistently go everyday. It just depends on your study habits. Classes have range from 25 students to all 180ish students. All of that depend on the block that we are on as well as the professors that are teaching. But, I think having Panopto allows students to control their schedules a lot better. It helps when you want to take a day out for shadowing or relax from a night of drinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! I loved this school and the area.

We should hear back by this Thursday because this Friday is the Good Friday.

i really believe that they tier you before the interview now.

i contacted my interviewer after getting a waitlist (non high priority) and he told me that he gave me a great interview score :/ guess its my numbers that're keeping me out for now :(

I interviewed a little bit over a month ago, and I've seen that others who interviewed in my group have already been either rejected or wait listed. I haven't received any notification, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that no news is good news! :D

Btw Is it taboo to call the admissions office post-interview and ask about a status update on their decision (after a month has passed without any word)?

Btw Is it taboo to call the admissions office post-interview and ask about a status update on their decision (after a month has passed without any word)?

I personally don't believe it would affect your application either way. That said, depending on the school, they may be unwilling to tell you anything. [if they do, please post]

OMG, seriously? I am so sorry to hear that. What is the point of making an applicant to spend money, time, and effort for an interview if they were not gonna accept him/her anyway? That is very frustrating!

i really believe that they tier you before the interview now.

i contacted my interviewer after getting a waitlist (non high priority) and he told me that he gave me a great interview score :/ guess its my numbers that're keeping me out for now :(

So did anyone hear anything about remaining interview invites? Isn't this the last week?

OMG, seriously? I am so sorry to hear that. What is the point of making an applicant to spend money, time, and effort for an interview if they were not gonna accept him/her anyway? That is very frustrating!

Actually I know someone who interviewed here and was rejected (last cycle) because they felt his numbers were too low (gpa & mcat) even though his mcat and gpa are actually just fine to get into a school. Verbatim that was the post-rejection feedback given.. to take more classes and retake mcat. :confused:

Actually I know someone who interviewed here and was rejected (last cycle) because they felt his numbers were too low (gpa & mcat) even though his mcat and gpa are actually just fine to get into a school. Verbatim that was the post-rejection feedback given.. to take more classes and retake mcat. :confused:

Yikes! How low is low? Because when I went for my interview back in November, my interviewer stressed that it isn't just a numbers game and that I shouldn't be too worried about my stats even though they are low (29, 3.65) for Einstein.

has anyone here applying this cycle gotten on to the high priority waitlist or know someone who has?

If the last interview invites have already been given out then why haven't I received a pre-interview rejection yet?

Yikes! How low is low? Because when I went for my interview back in November, my interviewer stressed that it isn't just a numbers game and that I shouldn't be too worried about my stats even though they are low (29, 3.65) for Einstein.

I actually got kinda similar numbers and I got accepted here. I also know of a few others that have gotten accepted with similar numbers.

Disclaimer: Anecdotal evidence!!

I know of an African guy that came here to the US, worked hard and got a 24 on his MCAT. They really wanted him so they sent him to this master's program for people with low stats. He retook his MCAT and got a 28 and after the first year of the master's program he was accepted.

I don't think Einstein is one of those schools who truly care about numbers. I believe their main priority is fit and if your app. exudes what they feel is a good applicant, then I'm sure you'll have a great chance!

Einstein has a P/F grading scale, but are students internally ranked?

Nope, it's one of the few that is truly p/f. It makes for a totally different educational atmosphere-- no competition, only collaboration.

A question about residencies in general. I was wondering how difficult it is to get into residencies in Cali because I know it's super hard to get into med school there if you are from out of state. But, I love the sunshine and I'd like to have to option of moving out there in the future.

Hi, just wondering if any accepted students have received any word regarding their financial aid package from Einstein yet? Best of luck to those who are waiting for an acceptance!

Einstein is NOT internally ranked until you are in the third year. Unlike P/F at other schools where you are internally ranked, Einstein is a true Pass/Fail school!

Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of the normal wait list that came out in Jan (when they told us that the waitlist wasn't ranked) and the sudden emergence of the HP list? I really wanna go here but am pretty confused what my chanes are on the "normal" wait list. There was also some mention of pre-interview stratification of applicants, since no early interviewees made the HP... Bueller?

Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of the normal wait list that came out in Jan (when they told us that the waitlist wasn't ranked) and the sudden emergence of the HP list? I really wanna go here but am pretty confused what my chanes are on the "normal" wait list. There was also some mention of pre-interview stratification of applicants, since no early interviewees made the HP... Bueller?

I would also like some clarification, I was interviewed before December and when the January decisions came out I do not remember anyone saying they got onto the HP waitlist. Anyone have more information about this?

Interviewed 2/11....haven't heard a thing. Anyone know if this is good or bad news? I know some people have been rejected or put on waitlists from around my interview date.

Interviewed 2/11....haven't heard a thing. Anyone know if this is good or bad news? I know some people have been rejected or put on waitlists from around my interview date.

seeing as you are at 8 weeks right now I would call them today and right from the get-go say it's been 8 weeks since your interview and you thought you would get a decision by now.

I was told via email it usually takes 6 weeks.. so I don't know why yours has taken this long (i'm at ~5 weeks no decision)

Status
Not open for further replies.