2012-2013 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted! Got the letter today. Interviewed 10/23

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of December 15, 2012, we have .....

Received 884 AMCAS applications
Received 715 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 378 applicants
Made 67 offers
(Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

Looks like they have received more applications than this time last year and are releasing acceptances faster. Hopefully that will mean good news for us soon. Good luck!

Has anyone received any acceptances this week? Because if they accepted more applicants on the 15th, then people should've started receiving letters, right? Unless they mailed out acceptances early this week.

As of December 15, 2012, we have .....

Interviewed 378 applicants
Made 67 offers

Looks like they have received more applications than this time last year and are releasing acceptances faster. Hopefully that will mean good news for us soon. Good luck!

Has anyone received any acceptances this week? Because if they accepted more applicants on the 15th, then people should've started receiving letters, right? Unless they mailed out acceptances early this week.
MD from ECU or DO from top DO school?

I would think MD from one of the least expensive schools in the country would win hands down. But by all means, go DO- perhaps I can have your seat ;)

Edit: PS- did you get into ECU recently?

Checked my mail today and found a rejection letter. Very disappointed with this one.

Interviewed on 9/25. 32S/3.65 cumulative.

MD from ECU or DO from top DO school?

Seriously? Our step scores are equal or better than the other schools in NC every year. We match students of all specialties to places like Mayo, Mass Gen, NY Pres, etc. every year in addition to improving the quality of health care in NC for the many students who have made it their mission to stay. This is a premium education, if you don't want the seat give it to one of the 9 other talented NC residents that get turned down for every one acceptance.. We are also the most affordable medical school in the country.. I happen to enjoy the idea that I'll come out of medical school with nearly no loans/debt as opposed to the average of a quarter Million..

If you want to go into DO because you enjoy the principles of osteopathic medicine, by all means do it. Your comment just sounds like you are implying that you will not get a good MD education at ECU, which is pretty offensive and so far from the truth.

Last edited:
are all rotations conducted at Vidant?

Most 3rd year rotations are done within the Vidant family of hospitals in Eastern NC. 4th year, its your choice. Most students choose to do 1-3 rotations at institutions they are interested in doing their residency at to impress them.

Last edited:
Anyone here get an email about the Brody scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah best of luck. The Carolina schools are torturing you. :(

seriously- it's brutal- I'm glad to be in somewhere but I was really really hoping for IS tuition given my non-trad life status. I have the stats for both of these schools but they were my first two interviews and I think I was still learning how to interview well at that time. . .

+1, only I (foolishly) declined my interview offer to Tulane and haven't gotten in anywhere yet. Good news is that the NC schools love re-applicants.

+1, only I (foolishly) declined my interview offer to Tulane and haven't gotten in anywhere yet. Good news is that the NC schools love re-applicants.

eep I'm sorry- I got my Tulane II just before mid-October, and remember thinking, "I'll wait a few days to book a flight, just in case one of the NC schools accepts me on the 15th". HAHAHHAHAHAH (sarcastic laughter of borderline insanity). Maybe I jinxed the whole process by being overly optimistic.

PS- anyone know if ECU is receptive/responsive to LOIs? I'd still go there over almost any OOS school given the cost difference.

As of January 15, 2013, we have .....

Interviewed 416 applicants
Made 80 offers

wow, that's a lot of movement for them- wonder when they met and if my LOI got there in time!

wow, that's a lot of movement for them- wonder when they met and if my LOI got there in time!

Probably met yesterday because it was January 15. They try to meet the 1st and 15th of every month. Best of luck to you!

how much time is there between the website update and when they actually mail out letters? Anyone know?

seriously? Our step scores are equal or better than the other schools in nc every year. We match students of all specialties to places like mayo, mass gen, ny pres, etc. Every year in addition to improving the quality of health care in nc for the many students who have made it their mission to stay. This is a premium education, if you don't want the seat give it to one of the 9 other talented nc residents that get turned down for every one acceptance.. We are also the most affordable medical school in the country.. I happen to enjoy the idea that i'll come out of medical school with nearly no loans/debt as opposed to the average of a quarter million..

If you want to go into do because you enjoy the principles of osteopathic medicine, by all means do it. Your comment just sounds like you are implying that you will not get a good md education at ecu, which is pretty offensive and so far from the truth.

#truth

As of January 15, 2013, we have .....

Interviewed 416 applicants
Made 80 offers
Interviewed December 10th, still waiting on a response. They said it would be sometime in February! Did anyone else interview in December and still waiting/or got a response?

Hoping for the best. Really fell in love with ECU after the tour and interviews!

Interviewed December 10th, still waiting on a response. They said it would be sometime in February! Did anyone else interview in December and still waiting/or got a response?

Hoping for the best. Really fell in love with ECU after the tour and interviews!

Yeah, my gf, she's still waiting.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone, but I hate that you have to feel the same kind of frustration I feel haha

at least we're still in the running? the waiting definitely sucks- between them and UNC (9/12) I'm beginning to think the state has some sort of conspiracy against me (maybe they figured out I'm a damn yankee at heart)!

at least we're still in the running? the waiting definitely sucks- between them and UNC (9/12) I'm beginning to think the state has some sort of conspiracy against me (maybe they figured out I'm a damn yankee at heart)!

I feel you on that. I interviewed at UNC a week after you and haven't heard a peep from them either.

Made six offers today.

As of February 1, 2013, we have .....

Interviewed 463 applicants
Made 86 offers

How many times do you think the committee will meet before April? I'm thinking about 3 more times...do they meet in April as well? I wonder if anyone knows?

How many times do you think the committee will meet before April? I'm thinking about 3 more times...do they meet in April as well? I wonder if anyone knows?

I would imagine so.. Feb 15, March 1, March 15. I think after that, they'll just send out letters to everyone informing them their status: accepted, waitlisted, rejected.

I would imagine so.. Feb 15, March 1, March 15. I think after that, they'll just send out letters to everyone informing them their status: accepted, waitlisted, rejected.
Thanks!

I would assume that the few they admitted last meeting have been notified and are just not on sdn

I guess the committee did not meet today...or they forgot to update the website.

I guess the committee did not meet today...or they forgot to update the website.

Sometimes it takes them one or two business days to make the site updates. I bet it will be updated early next week.

Someone who was accepted or rejected, was the letter mailed the same day of the committee meeting? In other words, was it post marked on either the 1st or 15th? Does anyone know for sure whether the committee met on February 15th?

does anyone know where we should send updates (transcripts, activities, etc)? like to their regular mailing address?

I just called the admissions office for my file status and they said they're in the middle of making final decisions so everyone will hear back in the next 2-3 weeks. SO NERVOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.