2012-2013 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be there in the fall! can't wait. Anybody know anything about financial aid?

I was wondering about that too. Anyone receive their financial aid packet yet?

Members don't see this ad.

finally updated:

As of March 15, 2013, we have .....

Received 884 AMCAS applications
Received 715 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 463 applicants
Made 100 offers
(Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

finally updated:

As of March 15, 2013, we have .....

Made 100 offers

well thats not good.

Members don't see this ad :)
well thats not good.

Try to stay positive! In years past, they have made closer to 130 offers, so that means there are still 20-30 offers to be made. That's quite a few offers! We still have a chance. :xf:

Does anyone know if they will tell you where you sit on the waitlist? Like what third?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was more of an alternate list than a waitlist (which might explain why there is no ranking).

Just got an acceptance off the waitlist in the mail!!!! I think I blacked out for a few seconds haha.

Made two more offers...

BSOM Admissions Update for the Entering Class of 2013

As of April 1, 2013, we have .....

Made 102 offers

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like they have made nine offers in the past two weeks. Anyone hear anything recently?

As of April 15, 2013, we have .....
Made 111 offers

How long does one stay on the waitlist? Is there a certain date by which they will send a rejection/acceptance or can they leave you uninformed until August of this year? I know UNC SOM said that their waitlist is active until August 5th this year. Just curious if it is the same for ECU.

How long does one stay on the waitlist? Is there a certain date by which they will send a rejection/acceptance or can they leave you uninformed until August of this year? I know UNC SOM said that their waitlist is active until August 5th this year. Just curious if it is the same for ECU.

You will remain on the alternate list at ECU until the Fall semester starts (I believe M1 orientation begins on August 5). At that point, you will get a letter that lets you know that the semester has started, so there is no more opportunity to get off the list.

Hang in there - movement should pick up as May 15 approaches!

You will remain on the alternate list at ECU until the Fall semester starts (I believe M1 orientation begins on August 5). At that point, you will get a letter that lets you know that the semester has started, so there is no more opportunity to get off the list.

Hang in there - movement should pick up as May 15 approaches!
Thanks for the response!

So...
3.6 GPA (Top 20 University on USNews)
34 MCAT
EMT-I 2 years and still active
Months of shadowing
Medical volunteer trip out of the country
2 Research publications

...REJECTED back in February LOL :D

It's ok. UNC SOM disagreed

Last edited:
So...
34 MCAT
Months of shadowing
2 Research publications

It's ok. UNC SOM disagreed.

ECU rejects tons of applicants with stats similar to yours.. as it's been said before they stress the fit of the applicant to the school far more than stats of the applicant. The interview review process is very thorough and the stat list from your primary application that you just listed is only one piece. The reputation of the school grows every year, we're a young school compared to the others in NC but proving ourselves in big ways. If I'm not mistaken, our step1 avg was higher than UNC and Wake again according to US News and our match list was fantastic.. The backgrounds our students come from never cease to amaze me and the initiatives they've started outside the classroom are groundbreaking for North Carolina. No matter what your stats are, a sense of entitlement to be accepted doesn't help your chances..

Last edited:
ECU rejects tons of applicants with stats similar to yours.. as it's been said before they stress the fit of the applicant to the school far more than stats of the applicant. The interview review process is very thorough and the stat list from your primary application that you just listed is only one piece. The reputation of the school grows every year, we're a young school compared to the others in NC but proving ourselves in big ways. If I'm not mistaken, our step1 avg was higher than UNC and Wake again according to US News and our match list was fantastic.. The backgrounds our students come from never ceases to amaze me and the initiatives they've started outside the classroom are groundbreaking for North Carolina. No matter what your stats are, a sense of entitlement to be accepted doesn't help your chances..

Well said

So...
34 MCAT
Months of shadowing
2 Research publications

It's ok. UNC SOM disagreed.

It's important to interpret your success at ECU with their unique admissions process in mind: Brody is as much about fit between candidates and the MD program as any school in the country. And ECU has to be given its legislatively-mandated mission and admissions standards. A lot of applicants with stellar scores and experiences are denied by ECU, and most end up somewhere else. I knew I would never be admitted because of my background and medical interests. But I have a lot of respect for the program they are cultivating in Greenville and their loyalty to their mission, which varies considerably from that of Duke, Wake, and even public UNC.

Congrats on being accepted to one of the best schools in the country. Take that and run - don't worry about how other schools acted on your app. You're in a great position.

Last edited:
ECU rejects tons of applicants with stats similar to yours.. as it's been said before they stress the fit of the applicant to the school far more than stats of the applicant. The interview review process is very thorough and the stat list from your primary application that you just listed is only one piece. The reputation of the school grows every year, we're a young school compared to the others in NC but proving ourselves in big ways. If I'm not mistaken, our step1 avg was higher than UNC and Wake again according to US News and our match list was fantastic.. The backgrounds our students come from never cease to amaze me and the initiatives they've started outside the classroom are groundbreaking for North Carolina. No matter what your stats are, a sense of entitlement to be accepted doesn't help your chances..

I agree MedBound1! I think our class is doing amazing things and the upcoming class is sure to follow. Brody does an excellent job at finding students who have a passion for the mission and I for one am so proud to be here. I think it's best that those who look down on Brody and have a negative perception of us and what we do don't end up here anyway.

Another nine offers have gone out. Anyone here heard anything?

As of May 1, 2013, we have .....
Made 120 offers

Another nine offers have gone out. Anyone here heard anything?

As of May 1, 2013, we have .....
Made 120 offers

ouch. nope.

Nothing here. Is it possible that those offers were just sent out today?

Nothing here. Is it possible that those offers were just sent out today?

Doubtful - I asked admissions (Lynn Coward) and she said that offers aren't sent out on the 1st and the 15th - only the website is updated on those days. This means we can expect something at any time, in the regular mail though.

I think last year they sent out a total of 130 acceptances - This means only a few more spots are left potentially!

Accepted!!! I received the letter today! It was postmarked April 30! So excited and grateful! This is amazing! Best of luck to everyone still on the waitlist!

So...
34 MCAT
Months of shadowing
2 Research publications

It's ok. UNC SOM disagreed

Been a while since I have visited this thread, but just saw this, and had to smile. MedBound1 addressed this much more diplomatically than I would have, but I wanted to chime in with a message to the accepted class of 2017.

This type of attitude is something that you will not experience when you get to Greenville. If your class is like our class, you will be among a group of people that are humbled and thrilled at the opportunity to practice medicine.

Your classmates will be supportive, encouragement, and willing to help you succeed. NO ONE cares about your undergrad stats anymore, and no one expects anything to be given to them - particularly admission.

Our admissions committee demonstrates exquisite wisdom when choosing applicants for acceptance. You'll be so happy you're here.

Good luck at UNC, LexMD.

thanks guys- will be making the short trip down to greenville in a week or two to orient myself and think about housing- this is all so much easier than moving halfway across the country!

thanks guys- will be making the short trip down to greenville in a week or two to orient myself and think about housing- this is all so much easier than moving halfway across the country!
Congratulations!! This is great!

sent a request to join the facebook group but haven't been added yet. Admin person - are you on here?

I was wondering about that too. Anyone receive their financial aid packet yet?
I have the same question. I sent an email to the financial aid office about the timeline. If I hear anything I will share. Maybe someone already heard something about the financial aid offers?

(Update) I was told that we will get the financial aid package mailed next week.

Last edited:
Wondering why no one is posting here anymore.... has everyone gotten in?!?! hahah... They don't seem to have updated their "update" page... Still sitting at 120 acceptances as of May 1, but I'm sure there was a lot of movement around the 5/15 date.

Just updated today. A few more offers have gone out...hoping a few are recent and in the mail. Anyone hear anything?

As of May 15, 2013, we have .....

Made 128 offers

Just updated today. A few more offers have gone out...hoping a few are recent and in the mail. Anyone hear anything?

As of May 15, 2013, we have .....

Made 128 offers

Seems like that's pretty much a wrap folks. Expect 2 more accepts and that's it.... 130 is the max they've sent out over these past few years.

Nah - they sent out 137 two years ago (according to their last update). There's still hope; hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement Matt...Cruising through the old threads your posts have been a lot of help. I am on my second cycle hoping to grab a spot a lot like you last year. Seems this year they are a little ahead a schedule as far as offers out at this point...but hopefully they will end out giving more than last year. Nothing to do but hold tight...

In case anyone is looking for housing in Greenville... I have a lease I'm looking to leave. Apartment is less than 5 miles from Brody. PM for details.

Thanks for the encouragement Matt...Cruising through the old threads your posts have been a lot of help. I am on my second cycle hoping to grab a spot a lot like you last year. Seems this year they are a little ahead a schedule as far as offers out at this point...but hopefully they will end out giving more than last year. Nothing to do but hold tight...
There is still hope. I just received an acceptance letter this week dated 5-24!! Totally unexpected! See y'all in a few months!

Hey everyone. I am thinking about applying to Brody for the 2014 cycle and was just wondering what some of the GPAs and MCAT scores were for the people accepted in 2013. I've obviously looked at the past averages but I'd like to get some personal answers and see what they say or if anything is said about a lower than average GPA or MCAT score.

Status
Not open for further replies.