2012-2013 Florida Atlantic University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an admissions officer, so don't hold me to this, but as a general rule people can be taken off of waitlists up until the day class starts...I know people who have gotten their only acceptance (not FAU, but still) a couple of weeks before school, and have heard of people who got the call the day before. Most waitlist movement should start happening next week though...Hang in there!

Right..but how can one know whether to apply again for next year or not, I mean the application opens in June? I am on the alternate list..and I don't know if I should start planning now to apply for next year again..any thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Right..but how can one know whether to apply again for next year or not, I mean the application opens in June? I am on the alternate list..and I don't know if I should start planning now to apply for next year again..any thoughts anyone?
My view is that your best option is to hope you get in but start making plans as though you won't. I don't mean to be at all harsh, and obviously this is just general information without knowing any particulars about your application, but if it turns out that your application was not strong enough to garner an acceptance this cycle you should ask how it needs to be strengthened before you re-apply. Sometimes skipping a cycle and taking time to improve your application is the best way to go...even though that sucks to do. It worked for me. I'd recommend talking to schools that did not accept you, and asking their advice as to how to strengthen your application. If its something you've already done, great! If not, the extra year may totally transform your application.

Good luck!

My view is that your best option is to hope you get in but start making plans as though you won't. I don't mean to be at all harsh, and obviously this is just general information without knowing any particulars about your application, but if it turns out that your application was not strong enough to garner an acceptance this cycle you should ask how it needs to be strengthened before you re-apply. Sometimes skipping a cycle and taking time to improve your application is the best way to go...even though that sucks to do. It worked for me. I'd recommend talking to schools that did not accept you, and asking their advice as to how to strengthen your application. If its something you've already done, great! If not, the extra year may totally transform your application.

Good luck!

Yea that sounds good..thanks a lot man..so as far as asking advice to skools that did not accept you..I can just email them, or should I call? I e-mailed one of them and never heard back..

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this webpage to be very good regarding the decision process: http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/Applicants/ongoing.process.html

Over here it says if you are placed on a waitlist it is a good idea to send a letter to the school ( I suppose to the admissions dean?)..unfortunately I did not read this at the time I was placed on the waitlist..did any of you send a letter? And is it too late to send a letter now ( I was placed on the waitlist in March)? I know the waitlist at FAU is ranked..so I don't know if sending a letter now will be beneficial..

Thanks!

Yea that sounds good..thanks a lot man..so as far as asking advice to skools that did not accept you..I can just email them, or should I call? I e-mailed one of them and never heard back..
No doubt. Better to call...some schools will help you, others won't, so call several. I know usf and uf are real helpful, so if you applied there those would be good schools to start with!

Accepted off the waitlist this morning!!!! I'm sooooo excited!!!! woohoooo!

If anyone is interested (I'm sure all of you future medical students are), the Step 1 scores for the 2015 class are coming in now and we are looking REALLY good as a class. I'm sure that stats will get posted soon because we've already started M3 and the stragglers who waited until the very end to take the boards should get their scores back next week. I hope and expect the class average is higher than the national average of a 224.

In retrospect, I feel like the curriculum did a great job of preparing us. Even better news is that the kinks that we dealt with in our first 2 years should be fixed by the time the next batch of M1s step on campus.

Good luck to everyone still on the waiting list.

Last edited:
Just got the call from Betty Monfort this morning (lovely woman by the way), and apparently I'm ACCEPTED!!!!:D:D:D

For those of you still on the alternate list, hang in there! Pretty sure they just opened up the second round of seats after the big May 15th cutoff. My interview was 3/12, I got waitlisted on 4/4, and I didn't get a spot until 5/21. It takes a while, but it's worth the wait :laugh:

Just got the call from Betty Monfort this morning (lovely woman by the way), and apparently I'm ACCEPTED!!!!:D:D:D

For those of you still on the alternate list, hang in there! Pretty sure they just opened up the second round of seats after the big May 15th cutoff. My interview was 3/12, I got waitlisted on 4/4, and I didn't get a spot until 5/21. It takes a while, but it's worth the wait :laugh:
Congrats !!!! We made it!!! See you in fall!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations!! I hope you're right about the rest of us on the alternate list! Every day without a phone call makes me panic a little more. Lol

If anyone is interested (I'm sure all of you future medical students are), the Step 1 scores for the 2015 class are coming in now and we are looking REALLY good as a class. I'm sure that stats will get posted soon because we've already started M3 and the stragglers who waited until the very end to take the boards should get their scores back next week. I hope and expect the class average is higher than the national average of a 224.

In retrospect, I feel like the curriculum did a great job of preparing us. Even better news is that the kinks that we dealt with in our first 2 years should be fixed by the time the next batch of M1s step on campus.

Good luck to everyone still on the waiting list.

That's great to hear! One of my only reservations with FAU was not having any info on Step scores or residency placement, but I guess that's the tradeoff with a newer school. Where would Step 1 stats be posted once they're officially released?

Congratulations!! I hope you're right about the rest of us on the alternate list! Every day without a phone call makes me panic a little more. Lol

+1. I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping that I'll hear soon.

+1. I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping that I'll hear soon.

Thanks! It's never too late to send them an update and let them know they're a high priority for you. Based on the few admissions directors I've talked to candidly, Florida students are in a weird position for med school - adcoms know we all applied to every Florida medical college, so they sometimes base their rank order on whether they think you'll actually take the acceptance.

My call came conspicuously soon after I sent them an email to the effect of "FYI if you accept me, I'm going fur shur". Don't be afraid to express some extra interest, this is MED SCHOOL we're talking about :)

Got the phone call this morning!! Waiting does pay off!

For all of you still on the waitlist, don't give up just yet!

Got the phone call this morning!! Waiting does pay off!

For all of you still on the waitlist, don't give up just yet!

Congrats!!! See, patience is a virtue :p

I know anecdotal evidence doesn't hold much weight, but everyone I've talked to got their call on a Tuesday, myself included. If you're thinking about sending them a letter of intent or anything like that, getting it in before the weekend might be your best bet of having it make a difference. Might be overthinking, but considering the profession we're going into, can you really blame me? :D

Congrats!!! See, patience is a virtue :p

I know anecdotal evidence doesn't hold much weight, but everyone I've talked to got their call on a Tuesday, myself included. If you're thinking about sending them a letter of intent or anything like that, getting it in before the weekend might be your best bet of having it make a difference. Might be overthinking, but considering the profession we're going into, can you really blame me? :D

Thank you! I agree though, I sent another letter just to remind them about me last week and got the phone call today. So there is no harm is resending a letter to let them know how much you want it!

withdrew from the waitlist, goodluck to those still waiting!

Congratulations to all accepted students. I'm an incoming 21 years old male and I'm looking for a place to live. Let me know if someone has a place or is interested in looking for a place together. You can email me at [email protected]

Thank you and I will be seeing you all on August.

Has anyone received an email from a military recruiter offering HPSP accompanying their acceptance?

Last edited:
Anyone else on the accepted alternate list who still hasn't heard back yet?

I haven't heard back yet--I'm somewhat surprised because at second look I was essentially told "we expect to see you in the fall!"

Not certain whether I should even bother giving them a call to check up on things at this point--pretty disappointing.

Oh, and I got the letter from the military recruiter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.