2012-2013 Florida Atlantic University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted alternate or regular alternate?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on February 11th and I was just placed on the Alternate list! Anything I should do at this point in time?
It's a waiting game at this point - however i just interviewed last week and they specifically told us "we still have open seats in the class" - this came from the new dean for admissions - so there's still hope.
Also, they said their welcome back day was Saturday April 20th - invitations would start going out the week of March 4th - so save that date. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
They made a separate list for people that would have gotten in if there were seats available, and called it "accepted alternate". The e-mail you got explaining your status would tell you if you are accepted alternate. If you are, sit tight and wait for a phone call. If you are not, I would update the school on a somewhat regular basis with pertinent news (new grades, new activity,) that can make you a better applicant. I don't know if they rank their waitlist or anything like that, but that's generally solid advice for being on a waitlist.

Sitting on the accepted alternate list; super hopeful I'll end up getting in, but the waiting is unbearable!

Sitting on the accepted alternate list; super hopeful I'll end up getting in, but the waiting is unbearable!
Some people have been accepted as soon as two weeks after getting put on that list...My understanding is that if you're on that list its only a matter of time...The waiting part definitely isn't fun though.

Do you know if they are just putting everyone interviewed as alternate or accepted alternate? Are they handing out rejections after interviews?

Do you know if they are just putting everyone interviewed as alternate or accepted alternate? Are they handing out rejections after interviews?

They do rejections after interviews. Happened to my buddy

Just got in interview invite this morning. The only date available is March 12th. Anyone know if they interview later into the month? I do not want to drive down south twice in one month. Thanks!

Interview March 12. Did not see any later dates. Maybe call the admissions office and see?

Just got in interview invite this morning. The only date available is March 12th. Anyone know if they interview later into the month? I do not want to drive down south twice in one month. Thanks!

If you don't have any other acceptances and you are seriously considering FAU, I'd go down as EARLY AS POSSIBLE! It will be worth the excessive driving!

Members don't see this ad :)
II here too! Caught me off guard this morning, but super excited!

Hope it's me!!! I was really interested in this school and I'm glad to see that they're still doing interviews. This whole thread has been really slow throughout the cycle.

hey, does anybody know how many people get put on the accepted alternate list instead of the wait list? is the alternate list really long or rather short?

When I interviewed they told us the decision would either be "Accepted, alternate list, or rejected"..There was no mention of accepted alternate list, so I am sort of lost on that.

the email said accepted alternate but it's the same as the alternate list

Withdrew from the interview. I hope someone on SDN gets lucky. :D

When did you apply? I applied very late and wondering if I still have a chance to be get an interview

Fell in love with the program and the school itslef. Went there as an undergraduate and the school continues to amaze me! It has grown so much and just continues to. Wishing future interviewees good luck and just enjoy the interview day! I t really is not stressful.

Did everyone on the alternate list get invited to second look?

When I scheduled my interview, I was told April 1st was the last day of interviews

does anyone have the match list from this year and would be willing to post it ? i believe this years class would still be considered part of UM, but I'd be interested to see where students who attended their preclincal years at fau matched to

does anyone have the match list from this year and would be willing to post it ? i believe this years class would still be considered part of UM, but I'd be interested to see where students who attended their preclincal years at fau matched to

i was under the impression that they haven't been fully accredited yet? is that not the case?

to my knowledge this incoming class is only the 3rd class so they haven't graduated a class yet

i was under the impression that they haven't been fully accredited yet? is that not the case?

to my knowledge this incoming class is only the 3rd class so they haven't graduated a class yet
They have had a medical school since 2004 but was a satellite campus of the University of Miami until 2010 that they started to operate only under FAU. It is a new school in a sense but they have a decade of experience.

They accepted their first class in 2011 so there isn't a match list yet, but the M2's are taking their USMLE soon so comparing those scores with other schools might give you an indication of where they stand.

does anyone know if they invite all accepted and alternate list applicants to second look?

Last edited:
I think it is only accepted alternate students who are invited to second look....cause that was the only alternate list option on the rsvp form

Is everyone on the accepted alternate list eventually accepted? Or does it just mean that you are higher on the alternate list?

can anyone who is holding multiple acceptances give any info as to why/why not they are/are not planning to attend FAU? thx.

can anyone who is holding multiple acceptances give any info as to why/why not they are/are not planning to attend FAU? thx.

I am holding acceptances at FAU, FIU, and UCF. Barring a full ride to FIU and UCF, I'll be attending FAU in August. Here are my reasons.

1. Location - I'm a married man. If you're single, you can probably learn to tolerate any place, but my wife's preferences played a lot into this as I want her to be in a place she enjoys, since she'll be sacrificing a lot to put up with my crazy amounts of studying. I don't know much about west Miami (FIU), it seemed like a decent place, but UCF and Lake Nona felt very isolated. Boca was the best location for us. It's safe (Miami not as much) but has enough stuff going on to not feel boring (UCF not as much).

2. Tuition - FAU and UCF are about the same, but FIU is a good bit more.

3. Feel - I got a great vibe from both UCF and FAU, FIU not so much. This is relative and everyone is different, so you've got to judge for yourself. But the M1's and M2's I met at all three places, I could see myself getting along with 1) FAU 2) UCF the best with 3) FIU lagging behind a good bit. Again, this is anecdotal so you have to judge for yourself.

4. Class Size - FAU is half the size of both UCF/FIU. I have to think I'll get more individualized attention, and coming from a small liberal arts school, I really enjoyed this in college and think I will benefit from it more in med school.

5. Interview day - I got to meet more faculty and administrators and actually have conversations with them at FAU than either of the other places. I'm sure the others would do this as well, but I'm confident Dr. Brickman, Dr. Markowitz, and Dr. Servoss (the three I talked with) have what it takes to make sure I get a great education. I felt they were really here for us. Again, FIU and UCF prob have this too, but I felt this the most at FAU.

I'm sure there's more I could write and there's probably some down sides (lack of huge research center like UM or UF, though opportunities for research are available...also Cost of Living in S. Florida is a lot more than UCF/Central Florida), but I'm really looking forward to FAU. After being accepted to these three schools, I also turned down interview invites for UF (wife and I can't bear the thought of living in Gainesville if we don't have to) and USF Select (didn't want to pay out of state tuition and having to move to PA third year). While those schools have great reputations and FAU's is definitely still yet to be determined in many ways, I believe it more depends on me working hard, and that FAU will put me in a position I need to be in for future goals.

April 4th please come faster!!! waiting for decision...

Were you a March 12th interview? April 4th is my date as well, "two week maximum" my ass -_-

Were you a March 12th interview? April 4th is my date as well, "two week maximum" my ass -_-
Yes I was the only female that day. I remember at first they said two weeks but then said write April 4th. I think it is because last interview was April 1

Is everyone on the accepted alternate list eventually accepted? Or does it just mean that you are higher on the alternate list?

It's tough to say that "everyone" will get accepted. However, if your on the waitlist "accepted alternate" you have a pretty good chance. If you read some previous posts by me you will see that a lot of our class came off the waitlist last year. I got waitlisted around this time last year and was accepted in May! I know the waiting is unbearable, trust me I've been there. Just try not to focus on it and enjoy your last couple months of freedom.

Yes I was the only female that day. I remember at first they said two weeks but then said write April 4th. I think it is because last interview was April 1

Right, I remember them saying that (I was the guy asking lots of questions who wasn't Herman). Our interview date was right before the next adcom meeting, so our files don't get looked over until the one after that, which is this week.

Are you definitely going if you get an acceptance? :naughty:

Right, I remember them saying that (I was the guy asking lots of questions who wasn't Herman). Our interview date was right before the next adcom meeting, so our files don't get looked over until the one after that, which is this week.

Are you definitely going if you get an acceptance? :naughty:
I think I remember you? What was your unique statement about yourself? And yes!!!

I think I remember you? What was your unique statement about yourself? And yes!!!

I had the one about kayaking and hating the beach - I always panic with that question and default to kayaking :laugh:

FAU is really close to home for me, so it was a tough sell at first. But if my options are that, ridiculously overpriced OOS school and one-year Masters, I'm totally fine with FAU. And you really can't argue with the small class size, lord knows I dealt with enough 300-person lectures as a UF undergrad...

I had the one about kayaking and hating the beach - I always panic with that question and default to kayaking :laugh:

FAU is really close to home for me, so it was a tough sell at first. But if my options are that, ridiculously overpriced OOS school and one-year Masters, I'm totally fine with FAU. And you really can't argue with the small class size, lord knows I dealt with enough 300-person lectures as a UF undergrad...
Lol kayaking yes I remember now. I loved FAU as an undergrad and would love to continue. It is home for me but now I actually get to be more hands on with actually medicine! Well two more days left!!! We shall see how it goes. Wish you the best and possibly see you in the very near future if all goes as planned.

Lol kayaking yes I remember now. I loved FAU as an undergrad and would love to continue. It is home for me but now I actually get to be more hands on with actually medicine! Well two more days left!!! We shall see how it goes. Wish you the best and possibly see you in the very near future if all goes as planned.

Good luck to you as well! I'm already thinking about where I want to do my preceptorship, I don't know much about South Florida hospitals above Broward county (and I'm barely sure what specialties I'm interested in!) That early clinical exposure is one of the best parts about them IMHO. Until then, I'm just going to keep refreshing this status page...

Status
Not open for further replies.