2012-2013 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Limit: 1200 characters (with spaces)

1. Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?

2. What makes you a unique individual? How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body at the College of Medicine?

3. Provide an example of a situation in which you have had a challenge working with a peer in school or a colleague in a work setting. What did you learn from this?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
11-12 Withdrew off the wait-list in May after being accepted to UMiami.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another top choice medical school. My best friend landed a full tuition scholarship here so I would love just to be able to go here.

I also received a full tuition scholarship at FIU. Beautiful campus, approachable faculty, integrated curriculum, community outreach and involvement from the beginning.

Good luck!

Just had my AMCAS app verified today! Taking MCAT on June 21...I am currently here at FIU as an undergrad..I'm applying with a 3.6 GPA, 3.5 sGPA...Hope to be a part of the class of 2017! What are everyones stats?

AMCAS primary submitted on 6/6. Hoping for the best! Good luck everyone applying! :xf:

Jackson, Miami Children's, Mount Sinai, Mercy, Baptist, Cleveland Clinic, Memorial, Broward, and Leon

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know the secondary from last year? I can't find it in the thread.

anyone know the secondary from last year? I can't find it in the thread.

Last years prompts

1. Provide an example of a situation in which you have had a challenge working with a peer in school or a colleague in a work setting. What did you learn from this?

2. Why are you specifically interested in the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine? Do you have a connection or bond to South Florida?

3. What makes you a unique individual? How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body at the College of Medicine?

4. Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?

When you look in last years threads you have to scroll down... most are not posted at the top for some reason.

Last years prompts

1. Provide an example of a situation in which you have had a challenge working with a peer in school or a colleague in a work setting. What did you learn from this?

2. Why are you specifically interested in the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine? Do you have a connection or bond to South Florida?

3. What makes you a unique individual? How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body at the College of Medicine?

4. Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?

When you look in last years threads you have to scroll down... most are not posted at the top for some reason.

On this years application 1 and 4 and identical. Both ask what the above number 1 does. Anyone know anything? :luck:

I really don't understand your question could you rephrase it?

Yes sorry, I will try to be more clear. I started filling out the secondary for this year. Question 1 and 4 on the essay page are duplicates. they both ask the same quesiton of, "Provide an example of a situation in which you have had a challenge working with a peer in school or a colleague in a work setting. What did you learn from this?" I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this or contacted them...

Sorry for the confusion... Thanks!!!!

I contacted them but no reply yet..

EDIT: Problem has been resolved.

Last edited:
On this years application 1 and 4 and identical. Both ask what the above number 1 does. Anyone know anything? :luck:

I may have missed this somewhere in the thread but are all the questions the same as last year? Thanks.

For the 4 prompts last year, does anyone know the character or word limit for each?

For the 4 prompts last year, does anyone know the character or word limit for each?

This year it's 1200 characters with spaces and the question:

"Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?"

was replaced with

"Of the experiences listed on your AMCAS application, which one activity challenged you and/or your thinking and strengthened your desire to be a physician and why?"

I submitted this one yesterday, and after spending some time thoroughly going through their website, I'm really excited for this school! Hopefully I'll hear some good news from them soon..

No status update yet. Just says Application Complete. Submitted on 7/12

Submitted my secondary today!! Good luck to all applying!!!

My status changed to "Preliminary Review Completed." I hope this means we'll know about interviews pretty soon. Last year they started sending them out 8/4 so they can't be too far off.

Last edited:
That's good news Syfte3. When did your status change and when were you complete?

That's good news Syfte3. When did your status change and when were you complete?
Thanks! I hope it means more good news in the future. I turned in my secondary on 7/17 and my status changed a few hours ago.

Hey all, I'm a M2 here at FIU HWCOM. If you have any questions I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. I'm not online all the time, since we just started classes again this past Monday, but I'll try to respond in a timely fashion.

Good luck! :luck:

Hey all, I'm a M2 here at FIU HWCOM. If you have any questions I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. I'm not online all the time, since we just started classes again this past Monday, but I'll try to respond in a timely fashion.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of FIU? What's your favorite aspect of the school?

What was your most challenging interview question? Thanks for the input ahead of time, and good luck with classes!

"Preliminary review completed"

Submitted 7/16 Complete 7/16

Status changed to "Preliminary Review Completed" on 7/28. Submitted and Complete on 7/12

What are the strengths and weaknesses of FIU? What's your favorite aspect of the school?

Strengths:

Faculty & staff is nice, friendly, and cares about the student body. I felt it during my interview, and I've continued to feel it throughout my first year in many ways. It also doesn't hurt that they are very well-known. :)

On this note, for girls that might want to start a family in med school: We've already had one female student have a child during her 3rd year, and she is right on track and ready to graduate next year. Two girls in my class (including myself) are currently pregnant, and although we were both asked if we wanted to take a year off, the faculty has been very supportive of our choice to stay on track. I think it's helpful that the upper ranks of our school are loaded with obgyns. ;)

Immediate patient contact: We are given ER shifts and start Family Medicine preceptorships from the 2nd month of school. I had already performed CPR on more than one patient before finishing my 1st year. I also think one of the big highlights for me was being taught how to do a central line. Many students have already sutured up patients, dealt with gun shot victims, etc during their ER shifts. We rotate through the ERs we are affiliated with throughout the 1st and 2nd years, and there is always the option to do more on your own time. It's nice to get an idea of how different hospitals function.

Also, while the school's goal to help the underserved/underinsured and promote primary care specialties shows through in many of the classes, it is obvious that the faculty is committed to helping you match in whatever field you hope to go into. Our 4th years are applying in everything from IM to Optho. It also doesn't hurt that our first graduating class ended up with a USMLE average 10 points above the national average. Some of my friends were in the 260s, and they are sitting in a very nice place for the upcoming match.

Cons:

Honestly, I've been pretty happy with the school and don't have much to complain about. However, since the classes are still expanding (moved to 120 this year, but will be staying at 120 from now on), juggling scheduling/class dynamic of the growing class is probably the issue I see most often. Our class was double any other class they'd dealt with in the past, so growing pains were to be expected. I imagine 120 will be a new challenge for them this year. However, your class will be the 2nd of 120, so things should be ironed out pretty well after the c/o 2016 finished their M1 year. :)

The order and presentation of the curriculum is not set in stone. You can see that as a pro or a con depending on who you are. It's nice to know what's coming months ahead of time, but it's also nice that they take student input so seriously and try to work towards addressing our concerns. I guess you can't really have it both ways.

Summer break is a little short. We had about 6.5 weeks, and I think most other med schools have 8-9 if I remember right. Honestly though, I had plenty of time to work under an oncologist for a month on a grant, go to disney for a week, and still be bored before school started last week.

Hopefully that helped a bit.

What was your most challenging interview question? Thanks for the input ahead of time, and good luck with classes!

Oh wow, most challenging question? I don't even remember. The interview ran mostly like a nice conversation. I enjoyed it. Oh, but there was this one part where one of the interviewers asked me where I wanted to be in 5 years, and then kept upping it by 5 years asking me what type of doctor I wanted to be then. I believe we got to me being about 60, and finally I just said, "I'd hope I'd be the same type of doctor as 5 years before. I don't know what else to say." That's the only thing that went bad in the entire interview, and I honestly have no idea how I would have fixed it other than saying, "I'd be retiring." :laugh:

Oh wow, most challenging question? I don't even remember. The interview ran mostly like a nice conversation. I enjoyed it. Oh, but there was this one part where one of the interviewers asked me where I wanted to be in 5 years, and then kept upping it by 5 years asking me what type of doctor I wanted to be then. I believe we got to me being about 60, and finally I just said, "I'd hope I'd be the same type of doctor as 5 years before. I don't know what else to say." That's the only thing that went bad in the entire interview, and I honestly have no idea how I would have fixed it other than saying, "I'd be retiring." :laugh:

Thanks again for your input!

Strengths:

Faculty & staff is nice, friendly, and cares about the student body. I felt it during my interview, and I've continued to feel it throughout my first year in many ways. It also doesn't hurt that they are very well-known. :)

On this note, for girls that might want to start a family in med school: We've already had one female student have a child during her 3rd year, and she is right on track and ready to graduate next year. Two girls in my class (including myself) are currently pregnant, and although we were both asked if we wanted to take a year off, the faculty has been very supportive of our choice to stay on track. I think it's helpful that the upper ranks of our school are loaded with obgyns. ;)

Immediate patient contact: We are given ER shifts and start Family Medicine preceptorships from the 2nd month of school. I had already performed CPR on more than one patient before finishing my 1st year. I also think one of the big highlights for me was being taught how to do a central line. Many students have already sutured up patients, dealt with gun shot victims, etc during their ER shifts. We rotate through the ERs we are affiliated with throughout the 1st and 2nd years, and there is always the option to do more on your own time. It's nice to get an idea of how different hospitals function.

Also, while the school's goal to help the underserved/underinsured and promote primary care specialties shows through in many of the classes, it is obvious that the faculty is committed to helping you match in whatever field you hope to go into. Our 4th years are applying in everything from IM to Optho. It also doesn't hurt that our first graduating class ended up with a USMLE average 10 points above the national average. Some of my friends were in the 260s, and they are sitting in a very nice place for the upcoming match.

Cons:

Honestly, I've been pretty happy with the school and don't have much to complain about. However, since the classes are still expanding (moved to 120 this year, but will be staying at 120 from now on), juggling scheduling/class dynamic of the growing class is probably the issue I see most often. Our class was double any other class they'd dealt with in the past, so growing pains were to be expected. I imagine 120 will be a new challenge for them this year. However, your class will be the 2nd of 120, so things should be ironed out pretty well after the c/o 2016 finished their M1 year. :)

The order and presentation of the curriculum is not set in stone. You can see that as a pro or a con depending on who you are. It's nice to know what's coming months ahead of time, but it's also nice that they take student input so seriously and try to work towards addressing our concerns. I guess you can't really have it both ways.

Summer break is a little short. We had about 6.5 weeks, and I think most other med schools have 8-9 if I remember right. Honestly though, I had plenty of time to work under an oncologist for a month on a grant, go to disney for a week, and still be bored before school started last week.

Hopefully that helped a bit.

I love it when people answer that question because it gets me really excited about the school. Thank you for your input!

I just read over my submitted secondary application and I hate it! Oh well, Preliminary Review Complete on 8/4.

What if I submitted 7/16 and am still on secondary application completed?

What if I submitted 7/16 and am still on secondary application completed?

I logged in to the secondary and thats where I saw my status change. They have not sent an email out yet. I think submitted about two weeks ago.

According to last year's thread, they could start sending out invites this week. Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.