2012-2013 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone going to be there Sep 21? :)

I am going to be there to interview that day.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats! When did you guys submit and when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
My status just changed from Prelimenary Review Complete to Review Pending. Does that mean anything significant?

I would call and find out gbc85. My status went from Preliminary Review Completed to Interview Invite. Review Pending might just mean that they have placed you on hold and will review it again in the future. But I'm not sure so like I said before I would call and find out.

I would call and find out gbc85. My status went from Preliminary Review Completed to Interview Invite. Review Pending might just mean that they have placed you on hold and will review it again in the future. But I'm not sure so like I said before I would call and find out.

No a hold they just leave your status as prelim review complete but they email you to tell you will be re-reviewed at a later date once you send them an update on grades or scores they are waiting for. FIU asked that I send them to sets of grades, one at midterm and one after this semester. If you are on hold they email you. This is because the ball is in your court again and until you move in a way they like you get nothing. People in special masters programs are often put on hold pending grades.

How long did it take for your status to change from Preliminary Review Completed to Interview Invite?

Does anyone know the percent of people accepted who attend an interview? I just got an invite and I have below avg stats. I can't believe it!

Congrats to everyone else as well.

Congrats on the interviews!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Thank you! :))

My status still says "Secondary Application Complete" for the past month and a half. Anybody else in the same boat? I submitted mid-July.

My status still says "Secondary Application Complete" for the past month and a half. Anybody else in the same boat? I submitted mid-July.

Mine has said "Preliminary Review Completed" for about the same time. Not sure what to think anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the interviews going to be like? and, so is there no student hosting options?

Interview invite yesterday afternoon!!! Stats ~3.6/32, OOS. They only have one date currently available on their scheduling system (october 5th), so I called to schedule. They said they will be opening up more interview days this week, possibly Thursday earliest, and that I should keep checking the site to schedule a date.

For students (or those that have interviewed), where is the most convenient lodging location? I'll be driving 8 hours to get there on a sunday for a monday interview... on the school site, it lists the couryard, hilton, best western, and marriott..should I just go with one of those... any tips?
No student housing?

Have a good day guys!

Would anyone who interviewed this week be willing to share general feedback? I'll be interviewing Friday and would love an overview of what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I interviewed on Monday, and it was very relaxed. The presenters and other staff were extremely nice, and kept telling us to relax and be ourselves. Both my interviewers were similarly nice - no intimidating questions at all, and the interview seemed to be over before we had a chance to talk about much. Oh there was this - "if you could bring three people back from the dead and ask them one question, who would they be, what would you ask?"

It's a great school - def my top choice and the interview day just reaffirmed that.

Wow, that's a tough one. I think I have something intelligent to say now; "on the spot", I probably would have strewn something together about Hendrix and Einstein. I'm glad the interview went well for you and that it was a low-stress day. FIU has always been at the top of my list due (in part) to the staff's relaxed nature and personability. Thanks for the reply!

interview invite today! so excited as this is my first!
complete 8/29, prelim review complete 9/5, II today (9/14)

Some info they gave us at the interview you guys might appreciate:
1. there are two separate interviews now, 20 min each. still closed file
2. They said our status changes would reflect what's going on with our application interview scheduled--> interview complete--> adcom committee scheduled--> adcom committe complete (which means they've decided on your app)
3. >50 % of entering class is from waitlist
4. ~600 interviewed
5. we receive scores for interviews which is added to our app score and you are put on a list from which acceptances to those on the top of the list are given out. Acceptances are given out in batches ~10 at a time.

Fantastic interview today- very low stress and quite informative. Everyone was extremely knowledgeable and welcoming. You'll probably be stuck with an ethics question of two, but it's not a big deal. Most people had "conversational" interviews. Good experience.

Fantastic interview today- very low stress and quite informative. Everyone was extremely knowledgeable and welcoming. You'll probably be stuck with an ethics question of two, but it's not a big deal. Most people had "conversational" interviews. Good experience.

Some info they gave us at the interview you guys might appreciate:
1. there are two separate interviews now, 20 min each. still closed file
2. They said our status changes would reflect what's going on with our application interview scheduled--> interview complete--> adcom committee scheduled--> adcom committe complete (which means they've decided on your app)
3. >50 % of entering class is from waitlist
4. ~600 interviewed
5. we receive scores for interviews which is added to our app score and you are put on a list from which acceptances to those on the top of the list are given out. Acceptances are given out in batches ~10 at a time.

Thanks for the info!

Interviewing this Friday!! Did anyone get silly questions like "If you could bring someone back from the dead and ask them a question, who would it be?" If so, how in the world do you come up with an answer to that?!?!? Those are the only questions I am afraid of!!

Interviewing this Friday!! Did anyone get silly questions like "If you could bring someone back from the dead and ask them a question, who would it be?" If so, how in the world do you come up with an answer to that?!?!? Those are the only questions I am afraid of!!
I'll be there this Friday too! Very excited :D Those questions are definitely stressing me too though, just think of some of the most influential people......in the history of the world haha. Interviews are only 20 minutes, so I think you can for the most part direct where you want that time to go. At least that's what my plan is. See ya Friday ;) even though I won't know who you are

Good luck to you guys this Friday! I may try to come up and say hello. I would like to say that I don't think we do enough to describe how great our clinical training is at FIU to interviewees (I remember the curriculum/mission being the main focus on my interview day). If you have time you should look up our deans as well. So, if you feel like you need more information after interview, feel free to PM me. Remember to have fun and relax as much as possible :).

It was good to see the interview group today. Hope you guys liked the school and felt that you fit in well. Good luck hearing back and good luck to those awaiting invites!

to those who've interviewed already, what were they like and what were some of the standardized questions? any insight appreciated! :)

I found these interviews to be extremely casual. The interviews are closed file; both interviewers had about 7 or 8 question blocks, with about 10 questions per block. They picked one question from each block to ask you. So essentially, theres a pool of about 75 questions and they pick 7 or 8 of those to ask. The interviews were only 20 minutes and were at the end of the day. Both of my interviewers asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and why FIU, so I would definitely prepare for those. Otherwise, almost everything I was asked came from a secondary (not necessarily FIU`s), so the questions are pretty standard. I had no ethical or healthcare related questions, but other people on my day did.

It was good to see the interview group today. Hope you guys liked the school and felt that you fit in well. Good luck hearing back and good luck to those awaiting invites!

We got a great vibe and really appreciated the lunch session and tour. Honestly made us feel really comfortable and took a lot of the nervousness out of the day

to those who've interviewed already, what were they like and what were some of the standardized questions? any insight appreciated! :)

I found these interviews to be extremely casual. The interviews are closed file; both interviewers had about 7 or 8 question blocks, with about 10 questions per block. They picked one question from each block to ask you. So essentially, theres a pool of about 75 questions and they pick 7 or 8 of those to ask. The interviews were only 20 minutes and were at the end of the day. Both of my interviewers asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and why FIU, so I would definitely prepare for those. Otherwise, almost everything I was asked came from a secondary (not necessarily FIU`s), so the questions are pretty standard. I had no ethical or healthcare related questions, but other people on my day did.

+1 at everything accmd said. However, my first interviewer was actually a lot little less casual than most, it started off with "why medicine" "why FIU" "what can you bring to FIU" so make sure you practice being able to succinctly but effectively convey what about FIU attracts you most and why you will make a great fit. Sessions are about 20 minutes long - they will FLY by so make the most of each minute but don't stress! You can easily direct the session by the responses you give.

My second interviewer had a completely different personality and was very casual. In the middle of our conversation he said "well.. I should at least ask one question...". I really feel that they're honestly just trying to get to know you, so just be yourself and you'll be fine. You'll get to meet a few of the M1s before you interview and you'll see how happy, friendly, and helpful everyone is.

Unlike accmd, I did have a healthcare & ethics question. Another girl interviewing that day said she just literally had one ethics question after another. Just remember, there aren't any right or wrong answers. Just know yourself and make your answers as personable and sincere as possible. And remember, just because you're having more of a conversation than a traditional interview does not mean you're not on stage ;)

Does anyone know if its possible to obtain Florida residency and pay in-state tuition for years 2-4? I'm an OOS applicant and looking at 70k in tuition and fees for 4 years is a lot to swallow...

Does anyone know if its possible to obtain Florida residency and pay in-state tuition for years 2-4? I'm an OOS applicant and looking at 70k in tuition and fees for 4 years is a lot to swallow...

Florida is a really rough state to become a resident "for tuition purposes". During my interview day, we were told that you had to have documentation (driver's license, voter registration, car registration, etc) dated one calendar year prior to matriculation to receive that classification. The only reclassification were those due to marrying a Florida resident or joining the military, if I recall correctly.

Florida is a really rough state to become a resident "for tuition purposes". During my interview day, we were told that you had to have documentation (driver's license, voter registration, car registration, etc) dated one calendar year prior to matriculation to receive that classification. The only reclassification were those due to marrying a Florida resident or joining the military, if I recall correctly.

I was afraid of that, bummer. Thanks for the info!

during interview day, is there a place to store luggage if you flew in and shuttled there?

during interview day, is there a place to store luggage if you flew in and shuttled there?

When you sign in the coordinator can store it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I was afraid of that, bummer. Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. Unfortunately, the legislature here doesn't object to raising tuition, so it could be even more by the time we've graduated from medical school. How exiting, right? :(.

You're welcome. Unfortunately, the legislature here doesn't object to raising tuition, so it could be even more by the time we've graduated from medical school. How exiting, right? :(.

Haha absolutely. Its absurd how expensive state schools can make tuition for OOS students, and how private schools can make it for all students. Debt will definitely be a big factor for me in choosing a school. The HPSP scholarships keep looking better and better as I stare at the tuition rates :laugh:

"Admissions Committee Review Completed" 10/2

Decision's already made!! I just hope I find out soon after the 15th!

Based on interview day, I think you will find out ON the 15th. Do you remember when you got the "admissions committee scheduled" status? GOOD LUCK!!

Based on interview day, I think you will find out ON the 15th. Do you remember when you got the "admissions committee scheduled" status? GOOD LUCK!!
On the 15th would be awesome! "admissions committee scheduled" was on 9/18

So, I was complete with my secondary on 8/26, but my status has not changed. It still says "

Application Status: Secondary Application Completed

Other people are talking about how their preliminary review is completed. Should I contact the admissions office?

That is so exciting! Good Luck! Mine just changed to Admissions Committe Review Scheduled today, I guess they meet every two weeks! If my calculations are correct then they should make a desicion on my status by October 16th! :)

Interviewing this Friday! :eek:

I'll let you guys know how it went. It's my first interview so I'm very nervous.

just interviewed today so I'm sure I saw you there, Whovian!
great stuff - I really loved the whole experience and it really got me excited about the school!!

Status
Not open for further replies.