You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Anyone applying EDP?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any LSU students that used the LSU pre-med committee LOR? That is the last thing I am waiting for to complete my AMCAS and was wondering if anyone's letters have already been received on AMCAS
I sent you a PM
Any LSU students that used the LSU pre-med committee LOR? That is the last thing I am waiting for to complete my AMCAS and was wondering if anyone's letters have already been received on AMCAS
Yes - they write and submit students' LORs in the order in which their committee apps were completed. That includes when you turned all your stuff in, and when your professors actually submitted their letters to the committee.
I turned in my packet about 5 days before the deadline, but one of my profs turned in her letter right before the letter deadline. My letters were posted by the committee to AMCAS about 2 weeks ago.
Has anyone gotten a "complete" e-mail? All I've received is a receipt for my secondary in snail mail. Does that mean I'm all good to go, with nothing missing?
When did you snail mail your secondary? And when did you receive a confirmation of receipt?Has anyone gotten a "complete" e-mail? All I've received is a receipt for my secondary in snail mail. Does that mean I'm all good to go, with nothing missing?
When did you snail mail your secondary? And when did you receive a confirmation of receipt?
I believe I put my secondary in the mail around 7/13 or 7/14. The receipt (for the $50) is marked 7/18 (which I received via snail mail, if that wasn't clear in my original post). I haven't received anything besides that receipt in the mail. LSU-NO really does things old school, haha.
Last edited:
Just posting for people who like to see these kind of things:
Class of 2014 average Step Score: 228
Class of 2013 average Step Score: 228
LSUSOM 5 yr Average Step Score: 217
National 5 yr Average Step Score: 221
Class of 2014 Percent Passing First Time: 97%
Class of 2013 Percent Passing First Time: 97%
LSUSOM 5 yr Ave Percent Pass 1st Time: 91.6%
National 5 yr Ave Percent Pass 1st Time: 92.8%
Students with a Step Score greater than 230: 79
Sent Secondary 7/18
Completed 7/20
No word since then
Completed 7/20
No word since then
Just posting for people who like to see these kind of things:
Thanks. I was curious.
Deleted
Last edited:
A friend of mine who applied early decision got an II a few days ago via email. So it has begun...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A friend of mine who applied early decision got an II a few days ago via email. So it has begun...
Who has applied EDP?
Anyone else recieved an interview invited?
I am trying to complete the questionnaire and as I type, the letters keep getting smaller to the point where they are almost impossible to see (in particular in the section asking for volunteer work) and then it won't let me continue to type, but it asks for detailed responses. Has anyone had this problem? Also, in the several of the sections when you go to the next question and check the "yes" or "no" it erases the prior answer. If anyone has any advice or answers regarding these issues, I would really appreciate any information. Thank you.
I am trying to complete the questionnaire and as I type, the letters keep getting smaller to the point where they are almost impossible to see (in particular in the section asking for volunteer work) and then it won't let me continue to type, but it asks for detailed responses. Has anyone had this problem? Also, in the several of the sections when you go to the next question and check the "yes" or "no" it erases the prior answer. If anyone has any advice or answers regarding these issues, I would really appreciate any information. Thank you.
I had the same issue. Last year I filled out as much as I could without the letters getting too small, and I got an interview. Although the check-boxes are erasing on the screen they will be there once you print. Just go through it once you print ascertaining that they are all checked.
Has anyone else heard back? It seems like they are moving slower than last year according to last year forum.
nothing here..
nothing here..
Nothing here, either. I'm not ED. I guess the ED crew has to get their interviews over with first before the regular pool even gets glanced at.
Nothing here, either. I'm not ED. I guess the ED crew has to get their interviews over with first before the regular pool even gets glanced at.
thats what I'm thinking
goodluck to all applicants! Me and kehlsh are classmates right now (I know who he is, I wonder does he know who I am yet!?) lol!
the application and interview processes may get discouraging, but don't give up hope! Make sure you check up with the secretaries about applications and if everything is in the file because things can get potentially messy.
First semester of med school classes at lsu are:
Gross anatomy and developmental anatomy w/ lab (embryology)
Science and Practice of medicine (teaches me how to be a good doctor yay!)
Histology w/ lab
the application and interview processes may get discouraging, but don't give up hope! Make sure you check up with the secretaries about applications and if everything is in the file because things can get potentially messy.
First semester of med school classes at lsu are:
Gross anatomy and developmental anatomy w/ lab (embryology)
Science and Practice of medicine (teaches me how to be a good doctor yay!)
Histology w/ lab
goodluck to all applicants! Me and kehlsh are classmates right now (I know who he is, I wonder does he know who I am yet!?) lol!
the application and interview processes may get discouraging, but don't give up hope! Make sure you check up with the secretaries about applications and if everything is in the file because things can get potentially messy.
First semester of med school classes at lsu are:
Gross anatomy and developmental anatomy w/ lab (embryology)
Science and Practice of medicine (teaches me how to be a good doctor yay!)
Histology w/ lab
That sounds like an awesome first semester!
Are there any MS3s or MS4s lingering around this thread? I'd love to hear some opinions regarding the quality, location, and ease of landing rotations at this school. Any takers?
Deleted
Last edited:
That sounds like an awesome first semester!
Are there any MS3s or MS4s lingering around this thread? I'd love to hear some opinions regarding the quality, location, and ease of landing rotations at this school. Any takers?
Yeah, there's 2 or 3 of us that hang around here. I've only got a couple minutes before I need to leave to go the hospital, so I can expand on some things or answer any questions you have in particular later today or tomorrow or next week, lol.
LSU NO does their rotations in NOLA, BR, Lafayette, with the majority being in nola. The exception is family medicine which can be done all over (like bogalusa for instance).
3rd year is split into 4 12 week blocks. OB/GYN(6weeks)/PSYCH(6weeks), Medicine, Surgery, and Family Medicine (4 weeks)/Peds(8weeks).
Basically at the end of 2nd year, you'll sit down and rank every order that you would like your 3rd year schedule to be. Essentially, you rank location (BR, laffy, nola), the order of the major blocks (medicine first, or ob/gyn/pysch first, etc.), and then each block contains sub-sites and you rank the order of that as well (wards first or clinic, or psych first then ob/gyn, etc.).
They feed this into a machine and try to get everyone the schedule they want. You can then swap blocks, rotation sites, etc. with other students if you don't think yours is perfect.
With that said, it typically it ends up being ok for everyone. Obviously, if you are from BR and want to request all BR rotations, you will more than likely get the majority of those. There's a lot of people who request all of NOLA, but don't get it all and end up with a rotation in another city.
With that said, the quality of the sites are more or less the same. You'll hear that certain sites are known for being more hands-on. Or that if you want to do a particular field, you should go here, but if you don't, avoid it, etc. Granted I'm only on my 2nd rotation right now, but I've haven't really heard of any complaints from anybody that I know.
Alright, gotta go. Ask more questions or what-not and I'll get to them when I can (or one of the other 3rd years will).
Yeah, there's 2 or 3 of us that hang around here. I've only got a couple minutes before I need to leave to go the hospital, so I can expand on some things or answer any questions you have in particular later today or tomorrow or next week, lol.
LSU NO does their rotations in NOLA, BR, Lafayette, with the majority being in nola. The exception is family medicine which can be done all over (like bogalusa for instance).
3rd year is split into 4 12 week blocks. OB/GYN(6weeks)/PSYCH(6weeks), Medicine, Surgery, and Family Medicine (4 weeks)/Peds(8weeks).
Basically at the end of 2nd year, you'll sit down and rank every order that you would like your 3rd year schedule to be. Essentially, you rank location (BR, laffy, nola), the order of the major blocks (medicine first, or ob/gyn/pysch first, etc.), and then each block contains sub-sites and you rank the order of that as well (wards first or clinic, or psych first then ob/gyn, etc.).
They feed this into a machine and try to get everyone the schedule they want. You can then swap blocks, rotation sites, etc. with other students if you don't think yours is perfect.
With that said, it typically it ends up being ok for everyone. Obviously, if you are from BR and want to request all BR rotations, you will more than likely get the majority of those. There's a lot of people who request all of NOLA, but don't get it all and end up with a rotation in another city.
With that said, the quality of the sites are more or less the same. You'll hear that certain sites are known for being more hands-on. Or that if you want to do a particular field, you should go here, but if you don't, avoid it, etc. Granted I'm only on my 2nd rotation right now, but I've haven't really heard of any complaints from anybody that I know.
Alright, gotta go. Ask more questions or what-not and I'll get to them when I can (or one of the other 3rd years will).
Wonderful reply, thank you! You answered all of my questions.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As of Wednesday the interview process may include a swimming test. Dress accordingly.
As of Wednesday the interview process may include a swimming test. Dress accordingly.
...oh you sooo funny
I'm OOS, they sent me the secondary on July 26th and they notified me of its arrival on July 30th. Apparently they highly recommend the Masters program I am currently enrolled in at Mississippi College, I hope it gets me an interview lol
stats? IS? when did they get your secondary?Interview invite here too (non-ED)! Calling in tomorrow and scheduling.
Good luck, everyone! Hope to see you there.
Hey guys I know it is a bit late to be throwing my hat in now but after speaking with different people I think it maybe worth it.
I am OOS and I know LSU already wants to punch me in the face for that however I am enrolled at Mississippi College's Medical science masters program like the above applicant. I will be adding this school on the 4th when I get money to do so and submitting the secondary as soon as I get it.
So is it worth it at this point or am I just flushing money down the toilet?
I am OOS and I know LSU already wants to punch me in the face for that however I am enrolled at Mississippi College's Medical science masters program like the above applicant. I will be adding this school on the 4th when I get money to do so and submitting the secondary as soon as I get it.
So is it worth it at this point or am I just flushing money down the toilet?
Hey guys I know it is a bit late to be throwing my hat in now but after speaking with different people I think it maybe worth it.
I am OOS and I know LSU already wants to punch me in the face for that however I am enrolled at Mississippi College's Medical science masters program like the above applicant. I will be adding this school on the 4th when I get money to do so and submitting the secondary as soon as I get it.
So is it worth it at this point or am I just flushing money down the toilet?
I'd say anything after August is a little late. With that and especially being OOS, you might be out of luck since you won't get SMP grades til mid-december. Who knows though man.
I'd say anything after August is a little late. With that and especially being OOS, you might be out of luck since you won't get SMP grades til mid-december. Who knows though man.
While all of this is true, I can send mid term uptakes by October and final grades and letters of rec from Dr. Reiken and Baldwin that contain my NBME Shelf exam scores by December. If I land an interview invite by December I maybe able to interview by late January/ early Febuary which could mean top part of the wait list or last of the acceptance seats. I feel it maybe worth it.
While all of this is true, I can send mid term uptakes by October and final grades and letters of rec from Dr. Reiken and Baldwin that contain my NBME Shelf exam scores by December. If I land an interview invite by December I maybe able to interview by late January/ early Febuary which could mean top part of the wait list or last of the acceptance seats. I feel it maybe worth it.
Yea, that could work but check with Dr. Baldwin first about getting the rec letters from MC in December, because they have a funny way of doing them.
Yea, that could work but check with Dr. Baldwin first about getting the rec letters from MC in December, because they have a funny way of doing them.
Yeah I have notice that about MC... nothing is a straight forward as it seems. I will most likely have to get him a case of shipleys donuts with all his favorite SEC teams iced on them.... Ha.
I will check with him well in advance about LORs... Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah I have notice that about MC... nothing is a straight forward as it seems. I will most likely have to get him a case of shipleys donuts with all his favorite SEC teams iced on them.... Ha.
I will check with him well in advance about LORs... Thanks for the heads up.
haha that might just work, no problem
i'm wondering if anyone applied to or been accepted into lsu-no? If so what have your experiences been like?🙂
lsu?
No.
I was accepted yesterday via EDP! The buildup to the interview was way more stressful than the actual interview itself. Good luck everyone. 🙂
that's awesome, congrats! mind posting up your stats?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just remember, EDP is far more selective than the general applicant pool; so those stats won't be very reflective for those of us applying to the regular program.that's awesome, congrats! mind posting up your stats?
If anybody has any questions about LSU-NO and what it's like, etc, feel free to PM me.
Good luck everybody.
Good luck everybody.
Has anyone OOS heard anything since sending in the secondary or are they like other schools I've heard waiting until November/December before they look at those files?
I haven't heard anything, just that it's been received, complete, and forwarded to the committee.Has anyone OOS heard anything since sending in the secondary or are they like other schools I've heard waiting until November/December before they look at those files?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.