2012-2013 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
agreed, I turned in my secondary application June 20th (secondary) this past cycle, got an interview invite on Jan 20th for a February 27th interview (dates are not exact), got a NFA letter March 26; got in May 13...so there you go; don't worry if things are taking their time.

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?
 
I know the committee met on Friday so letters should start going out tomorrow. Good luck to everyone who interviewed the past three weeks.
 
agreed, I turned in my secondary application June 20th (secondary) this past cycle, got an interview invite on Jan 20th for a February 27th interview (dates are not exact), got a NFA letter March 26; got in May 13...so there you go; don't worry if things are taking their time.
Thanks... It is encouraging to hear others that were on my same boat and got accepted..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks.. I can't help but feel nervous when some have already gotten acceptances.. But I shall play the waiting game a little longer..:xf::xf::xf:

I understand. Last year I got my invitation in February, interviewed in March, and was waitlisted until the end of the summer when I finally got a rejection letter. So I understand the waiting game. I'm trying to stay calm this cycle! Good luck!
 
I understand. Last year I got my invitation in February, interviewed in March, and was waitlisted until the end of the summer when I finally got a rejection letter. So I understand the waiting game. I'm trying to stay calm this cycle! Good luck!
Thanks and same to you.. Hopefully soon we can both celebrate our acceptances.. 😀:xf:
 
Finally an answer to what's going on with the hospital, and it's a very good one.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ss...ners.html#incart_river_default#incart_m-rpt-2

The nonprofit corporation that runs Children's Hospital and Touro Infirmary in New Orleans will take over operations at the Interim LSU Public Hospital and the new University Medical Center when it opens in two years, according to plans unveiled by state and LSU health officials Monday. The Louisiana Children's Medical Center will lease the interim hospital, better known as University Hospital, and eventually the new $1 billion facility, said Dr. Frank Opelka, head of the LSU hospital system. That new 424-bed hospital, currently under construction on Tulane Avenue, is scheduled to open in the spring of 2015.

The move is part of a broader announcement that nonprofit private hospitals also will operate the public hospitals in Houma and Lafayette. State health leaders are still in negotiations with private entities for similar arrangements at three other hospitals in southern Louisiana. Plans already exist for Our Lady of the Lake Medical Center to take over inpatient treatment from the public hospital in Baton Rouge.

In New Orleans, the plan means the public hospitals will be staffed by LSU faculty and residents, will continue to serve the uninsured, and will remain teaching hospitals, officials said.

Sorry my first response to this wasn't too helpful, but this is the first real news we've had. There were about a dozen town hall meetings with various people, and we were reassured that our rotations wouldn't be affected - the administration has been very open and supportive of the students. It's just that, while they often spoke of 'partnerships', none existed and there was concern that the new hospital would be sold to Ochsner or something.
 
Last edited:
Finally an answer to what's going on with the hospital, and it's a very good one.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ss...ners.html#incart_river_default#incart_m-rpt-2



Sorry my first response to this wasn't too helpful, but this is the first real news we've had. There were about a dozen town hall meetings with various people, and we were reassured that our rotations wouldn't be affected - the administration has been very open and supportive of the students. It's just that, while they often spoke of 'partnerships', none existed and there was concern that the new hospital would be sold to Ochsner or something.

Thanks a bunch! Very informative.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse brevity and/or typos.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't get an acknowledgment. Lol. Where did you send it to? Address it to?

I'm in DC at the moment on my iPhone and don't have access to my archived emails with the lady's address, but I sent it both to the main admission office's address and what I think was the admission's secretary's address. I'll post them when I get back Saturday afternoon. Enjoy your Friday!

Sent from my iPhone
 
I'm in DC at the moment on my iPhone and don't have access to my archived emails with the lady's address, but I sent it both to the main admission office's address and what I think was the admission's secretary's address. I'll post them when I get back Saturday afternoon. Enjoy your Friday!

Sent from my iPhone
Sorry for the delay: Hebert, Kimberly M. [[email protected]] & [email protected]
 
Hey guys, I'm desperate for an interview here and have already sent two updates. Does anyone have any advice for OOS applicants? Is there anything that LSU is particularly fond of in its OOS applicants? Also, when does LSU stop interviewing? Thanks in advance and good luck to all.
 
Hey guys, I'm desperate for an interview here and have already sent two updates. Does anyone have any advice for OOS applicants? Is there anything that LSU is particularly fond of in its OOS applicants? Also, when does LSU stop interviewing? Thanks in advance and good luck to all.

Ditto!!

I would love to be able to move back home for med school! I sent an update as well. I have lower stats tho.
 
Hey guys, I'm desperate for an interview here and have already sent two updates. Does anyone have any advice for OOS applicants? Is there anything that LSU is particularly fond of in its OOS applicants? Also, when does LSU stop interviewing? Thanks in advance and good luck to all.

I'm not sure about what they look for in OOS applicants, but they interview into April. Last year I interviewed in mid-March and was wait-listed until the end of the summer. Hoping for an acceptance this year!
 
I'm not sure about what they look for in OOS applicants, but they interview into April. Last year I interviewed in mid-March and was wait-listed until the end of the summer. Hoping for an acceptance this year!
Thanks. Are you also an OOS applicant? Would you mind sharing/PMing your stats? No worries if you're too bashful.

Has anyone been rejected pre-interview yet?
 
Just called the office and left a message attempting to check the status of my application. Hopefully this call will show more dedication and interest... I hope!
 
Thanks. Are you also an OOS applicant? Would you mind sharing/PMing your stats? No worries if you're too bashful.

Has anyone been rejected pre-interview yet?

My stats aren't great. 3.6 28. I'm in state. I don't think they do too many early rejections. Calling them will also do very little good. They're just going to tell you that you're still under review.
 
My stats aren't great. 3.6 28. I'm in state. I don't think they do too many early rejections. Calling them will also do very little good. They're just going to tell you that you're still under review.

Thanks. Yeah, out of calls to 6 schools, I only received useful info from 2. 🙁


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse brevity and/or typos.
 
hi all! i'm new here -- waiting on any word from lsu new orleans too and going absolutely crazy. i've received oddly 3 "file complete" emails but that's it. has anyone else been hearing about stats for current interviews going on?
 
hi all! i'm new here -- waiting on any word from lsu new orleans too and going absolutely crazy. i've received oddly 3 "file complete" emails but that's it. has anyone else been hearing about stats for current interviews going on?
Nothing. It's so darn quiet. I even called to try to get a status update: nada. I'm so eager to hear something. I'd also really like to attend their EM/IM dual residency, which would make attending here even better. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
adcom/advocacy meeting today according to Eubanks on January 9th.
Good to know, thank you. Hopefully some of us will be hearing about new interview invites. Does anyone know how late into the season they interview and/or the average stats of OOS students that receive interviews? Thanks...
 
Good to know, thank you. Hopefully some of us will be hearing about new interview invites. Does anyone know how late into the season they interview and/or the average stats of OOS students that receive interviews? Thanks...
Well I applied last year and was invited to interview at the end of March, and interviewed in the middle of April. I am pretty sure it was one of the last weeks of interviews.
 
Thanks, that helps. Are you OOS, too?
No I am in state, but my MCAT was seriously low! However, I took it again this summer and went up 7 points and just had my interview on Jan 15th. So, I should hear something next week! Hang in there and keep your head up. In the orientation with Dr. Eubanks, he said they haven't even come close to filling all their spots and that most people get in around the Middle of March or the middle of April.
 
No I am in state, but my MCAT was seriously low! However, I took it again this summer and went up 7 points and just had my interview on Jan 15th. So, I should hear something next week! Hang in there and keep your head up. In the orientation with Dr. Eubanks, he said they haven't even come close to filling all their spots and that most people get in around the Middle of March or the middle of April.
Awesome news, thanks! Good luck!
 
My stats aren't great. 3.6 28. I'm in state. I don't think they do too many early rejections. Calling them will also do very little good. They're just going to tell you that you're still under review.

This. They don't do early rejections at all. My first app was botched in all kinds of ways, no interview, rejected in April.
 
My friend got his letter on Tuesday or Wednesday. His was dated Oct. 30th and the committee met on the 26th.
 
Thanks! I know most of the time, it's going to be NFA but I'm still getting nervous waiting for that letter. Good to know what day to expect it.
 
Hey in case anyone is waiting on a letter, like I am, I called the office of admissions and they said they just mailed out the letters yesterday, January 30th, from their meeting on the 25th. I was getting nervous when I didn't get anything in the mail the last couple of days. Good luck to everyone! 😀
 
Hey in case anyone is waiting on a letter, like I am, I called the office of admissions and they said they just mailed out the letters yesterday, January 30th, from their meeting on the 25th. I was getting nervous when I didn't get anything in the mail the last couple of days. Good luck to everyone! 😀


I love you. And you have prevented the further harassment of my mailman.
 
Hey in case anyone is waiting on a letter, like I am, I called the office of admissions and they said they just mailed out the letters yesterday, January 30th, from their meeting on the 25th. I was getting nervous when I didn't get anything in the mail the last couple of days. Good luck to everyone! 😀

Thank you! I've been waiting anxiously by the mail, and it's getting old!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waiting on a letter today, mail passed and there was nothing. I went to the post office and they said mail was running at least a day behind in our area.

Everyone that's interviewed gets either an acceptance or an NFA this week, right?
 
Waiting on a letter today, mail passed and there was nothing. I went to the post office and they said mail was running at least a day behind in our area.

Everyone that's interviewed gets either an acceptance or an NFA this week, right?


Yes! No matter what they will send you some form of a letter!👍
 
No letter today, either. Guess the PO in New Orleans is backed up from the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras.

Oh well, we should get our letters next week. If one of you gets something, let's hear it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.