2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview Invite! 1 minute ago....was not expecting that haha but had my email open from earlier....crazy!

Complete 7/13. Will be there on 9/24!

Just looked at your MDapps....I have no shot of getting in if i'm in the race with people with your stats haha
 
Just looked at your MDapps....I have no shot of getting in if i'm in the race with people with your stats haha

Actually, speaking of which, this is for FORSPARTA as well as the general public:

If I was granted an interview, do I need to worry about my below average/crappy by Mayo metrics, stats? I actually don't know much about applying to medical school and am trying to learn as I fly the seat of my pants, but my friend told me that if a school gives you an interview it means you're academically good enough for them. But at the same time, I've known a person asked to justify their grades in interviews too! (this was at Gtown I believe)

So...is there any rhyme or reason the Mayo interview?? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, speaking of which, this is for FORSPARTA as well as the general public:

If I was granted an interview, do I need to worry about my below average/crappy by Mayo metrics, stats? I actually don't know much about applying to medical school and am trying to learn as I fly the seat of my pants, but my friend told me that if a school gives you an interview it means you're academically good enough for them. But at the same time, I've known a person asked to justify their grades in interviews too! (this was at Gtown I believe)

So...is there any rhyme or reason the Mayo interview?? Thanks!

If you get an interview at Mayo they see you as academically fit. Once you get that far, your MCAT and GPA are basically null and void. Essentially, you're now as qualified as Tater up there with his 40/3.95 and eight interviews thus far. I was told this from several Mayo people.

Kill it man, that'd be one hell of a success story! Remember, you were selected for a reason. There are plenty of apps with high stats they could've interviewed instead, there's a reason they picked yours instead.

I'm just hoping for that shot as well!
 
If you get an interview at Mayo they see you as academically fit. Once you get that far, your MCAT and GPA are basically null and void. Essentially, you're now as qualified as Tater up there with his 40/3.95 and eight interviews thus far. I was told this from several Mayo people.

Kill it man, that'd be one hell of a success story! Remember, you were selected for a reason. There are plenty of apps with high stats they could've interviewed instead, there's a reason they picked yours instead.

I'm just hoping for that shot as well!

That was inspirational. I hope you're my classmate where I go!

game-of-thrones-upvote-reddit.gif
 
If you get an interview at Mayo they see you as academically fit. Once you get that far, your MCAT and GPA are basically null and void. Essentially, you're now as qualified as Tater up there with his 40/3.95 and eight interviews thus far. I was told this from several Mayo people.

Kill it man, that'd be one hell of a success story! Remember, you were selected for a reason. There are plenty of apps with high stats they could've interviewed instead, there's a reason they picked yours instead.

I'm just hoping for that shot as well!

Yeah. This is true at mayo. I think mayo is unique in this regard though. From what I've heard the same thinking doesn't apply at other schools.
 
Actually, speaking of which, this is for FORSPARTA as well as the general public:

If I was granted an interview, do I need to worry about my below average/crappy by Mayo metrics, stats? I actually don't know much about applying to medical school and am trying to learn as I fly the seat of my pants, but my friend told me that if a school gives you an interview it means you're academically good enough for them. But at the same time, I've known a person asked to justify their grades in interviews too! (this was at Gtown I believe)

So...is there any rhyme or reason the Mayo interview?? Thanks!

See below

If you get an interview at Mayo they see you as academically fit. Once you get that far, your MCAT and GPA are basically null and void. Essentially, you're now as qualified as Tater up there with his 40/3.95 and eight interviews thus far. I was told this from several Mayo people.

Kill it man, that'd be one hell of a success story! Remember, you were selected for a reason. There are plenty of apps with high stats they could've interviewed instead, there's a reason they picked yours instead.

I'm just hoping for that shot as well!



So that is 98% true. While we were interviewing there, the dean told us we were all going choices for Mayo but now they were trying to assess fit. In that case, your stats are not of MUCH importance. However, they still play a small part in the decision making process, although not enough that it should concern you. DokDakotaDok hit it on the head - kill it.
 
Yeah. This is true at mayo. I think mayo is unique in this regard though. From what I've heard the same thinking doesn't apply at other schools.

Correct, [most] other schools have a more conscious regard toward applicants' numerical components. Mayo, on the other hand, has a smallish admissions committee that knows what (MCAT/GPA) they want and who (ECs, LORs) they want. With a small admissions committee, they also have a small pool of interviews to give out, and they are not wasting it on someone that they can decide they don't want before the interview process. Like anyone else here, I just hope I am who they are looking for. 😉 But an important thing to remember is, if you are a great applicant, even if Mayo does not think you are a great fit for them, if you got to the interview stage then you are very likely going to get in somewhere. It should definitely be a confidence booster both for your Mayo interview, as well as your others. I wish you all the best! Just save a spot for me on the proverbial bus. 🙂
 
Last edited:
interview invite yesterday! i'm amazed. i was getting nervous because i was complete on 7/2 and still didnt get an invite, so i thought maybe i was getting silently rejected. 3.7/ 35 mcat
 
Last edited:
Actually, speaking of which, this is for FORSPARTA as well as the general public:

If I was granted an interview, do I need to worry about my below average/crappy by Mayo metrics, stats? I actually don't know much about applying to medical school and am trying to learn as I fly the seat of my pants, but my friend told me that if a school gives you an interview it means you're academically good enough for them. But at the same time, I've known a person asked to justify their grades in interviews too! (this was at Gtown I believe)

So...is there any rhyme or reason the Mayo interview?? Thanks!

IIRC, you're not doing too bad yourself with interviews so far Bumbl3b33:clap:. So don't worry about stats and don't compare yourself to Tater--you're definitely doing something right! Just kill it at the interview :laugh:.

Good luck to both of you !
 
interview invite yesterday! i'm amazed. i was getting nervous because i was complete on 7/2 and still didnt get an invite, so i thought maybe i was getting silently rejected. 3.75 cgpa/ 3.66sgpa/ 35 mcat

U got a LOR received email on 7/2? Hot damn that was quick.
 
Was complete 7/24. I wonder when they'll get to this batch of apps! Congrats to everyone with interview already!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hm. How long did it take for you guys to get LOR received? I submitted mine on 8/2 and haven't heard anything yet.

As long as you don't get a rejection e-mail I wouldn't be too worried. It seems that their timing is too sporadic to predict.

Goodluck!
 
Is there a confirmation for LOR received? I sent mine 7/26 and haven't received anything saying they've got it...
 
Got my rejection e-mail. Complete 7/13

Goodluck to the rest of you!

Haha lovin' the gif...but sorry to hear that..I was complete 7/14, so my rejection's probably coming soon too =/

Good luck with the rest of your application!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ugh. I was complete 7/13 and still haven't heard anything...maybe by the end of the week? lol
 
Don't get my hopes up....because I will come and steal that II from you if I don't get one.


hey Sros, off topic, but do you mind me asking fi you got a complete email at jefferson? Saying your file was udner review or something of that nature.
 
hey Sros, off topic, but do you mind me asking fi you got a complete email at jefferson? Saying your file was udner review or something of that nature.

No I was just donig my daily check of all my applications lol and I saw that the status of "Interview Invite" changed from decision pending to Interview to be scheduled. Still have yet to receive an official email for the interview though.
 
I was complete 7/6 and I still have not heard back. Did this happen to anyone last cycle? At any point should I contact the school and ask them what the status of my application is?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my letters received email. Original LOR request on 8/1. Fingers crossed the next email is an interview invite!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.