-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Also complete today, I saw that typo too.
But now our applications are all under review...
Best of luck everyone, I hope we all get a shot at an interview!
Hopefully they see in me what they saw in bumblebee 😉
But now our applications are all under review...

Best of luck everyone, I hope we all get a shot at an interview!
Hopefully they see in me what they saw in bumblebee 😉
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry guys...I was told yesterday that there would be news last night/today; I just didn't know it would be rejections
Do you know if more rejections are going out tonight? I think I'm in the next batch =/
Hopefully they see in me what they saw in bumblebee 😉
Of course they will! You are more beautiful than Cinderella. You smell like pine needles and you have a face like sunshine!
Sorry guys...I was told yesterday that there would be news last night/today; I just didn't know it would be rejections
How serpentine! 😉Sorry to those who have been getting rejections... Good luck in the rest of the process!
Sorry guys...I was told yesterday that there would be news last night/today; I just didn't know it would be rejections
EEK. fingers crossed for tonight!
How serpentine! 😉
Sorry to those who have been getting rejections... Good luck in the rest of the process!
I have to ask....how did you not get in 2x before? your application seems strong.....
I have to ask....how did you not get in 2x before? your application seems strong.....
If I had to guess (from info on his MDApps) it's because he's been trying to stay in the Minnesota/Wisconsin region so didn't apply broadly his last two cycles. Correct me where I'm wrong, just speculating 😉
I have to ask....how did you not get in 2x before? your application seems strong.....
If I had to guess (from info on his MDApps) it's because he's been trying to stay in the Minnesota/Wisconsin region so didn't apply broadly his last two cycles. Correct me where I'm wrong, just speculating 😉
Unfortunately it was not solely because I did not apply broadly (that was part of the problem during my first cycle)... Although I wouldn't mind staying in the region (I love the Midwest a lot--and I've traveled quite a bit throughout the country), I am more than willing to move outside the region.
In any case, I've had a couple people ask me this in the past few weeks, so I'll copy paste a lot of what I've said and edit appropriately:
I first applied three years ago--7 schools, 2 interviews, 1 waitlist (at my state school). I spoke to the dean of admissions at the school regarding my application, and he said it was mostly that I had limited clinical experience. At that time, I had only shadowed two physicians and volunteered for four months on an oncology floor at a hospital. He said I should get more clinical experience and consider retaking my MCAT (31 was two points lower than the average matriculant there)
Perhaps the most significant advice he gave me was to sit out a cycle, as it is nearly impossible to show the necessary improvement from one year to the next (in his words, to allow [me] ample time to demonstrate that had significantly improved [my] application).
Of course, being young and restless, I didn't take his advice and applied the next year. Both schools that interviewed me rejected me pre-interview, and I didn't get any interviews until the end of the school (just one). I emailed the dean again and he basically said, "Well, you did these things [getting clinical experience], but not to the level we wanted to see."
The reality is that he was serious--a year isn't enough time, and if you're a re-applicant, you have a significantly lower chance unless you are really impressive.
It makes sense, but at the time I was pretty skeptical, and I've paid for it. HOWEVER, I've had a TON of incredible opportunities since then in a number of areas, and looking back I'm glad I was rejected--I wasn't ready then (my thoughts were, I need to get in as fast and young as possible or Ill be OLD when I get out! rather than I need to adequately prepare myself and know what Im talking about), and was pretty bitter, as many of my friends got in, and even some people I mentored on how to prepare for medical school (even people I personally TUTORED!). However, as time has passed I've realized how qualified many applicants are (including my friends and the people I mentored), and am happy they were accepted, because they are truly incredible people with great potential.
But I'm ready now, and more eager than ever to get started on my medical career. Ive been so blessed with all these other opportunities and feel so much more prepared, and I'm incredibly grateful and happy to be where I am. I can only hope admissions committees see that and give me a shot!
I have a feeling this will be the year for you 🙂
Unfortunately it was not solely because I did not apply broadly (that was part of the problem during my first cycle)... Although I wouldn't mind staying in the region (I love the Midwest a lot--and I've traveled quite a bit throughout the country), I am more than willing to move outside the region.
In any case, I've had a couple people ask me this in the past few weeks, so I'll copy paste a lot of what I've said and edit appropriately:
I first applied three years ago--7 schools, 2 interviews, 1 waitlist (at my state school). I spoke to the dean of admissions at the school regarding my application, and he said it was mostly that I had limited clinical experience. At that time, I had only shadowed two physicians and volunteered for four months on an oncology floor at a hospital. He said I should get more clinical experience and consider retaking my MCAT (31 was two points lower than the average matriculant there)
Perhaps the most significant advice he gave me was to sit out a cycle, as it is nearly impossible to show the necessary improvement from one year to the next (in his words, to "allow [me] ample time to demonstrate that had significantly improved [my] application").
Of course, being young and restless, I didn't take his advice and applied the next year. Both schools that interviewed me rejected me pre-interview, and I didn't get any interviews until the end of the school (just one). I emailed the dean again and he basically said, "Well, you did these things [getting clinical experience], but not to the level we wanted to see."
The reality is that he was serious--a year isn't enough time, and if you're a re-applicant, you have a significantly lower chance unless you are really impressive.
It makes sense, but at the time I was pretty skeptical, and I've paid for it. HOWEVER, I've had a TON of incredible opportunities since then in a number of areas, and looking back I'm glad I was rejected--I wasn't ready then (my thoughts were, "I need to get in as fast and young as possible or I'll be OLD when I get out!" rather than "I need to adequately prepare myself and know what I'm talking about), and was pretty bitter, as many of my friends got in, and even some people I mentored on how to prepare for medical school (even people I personally TUTORED!). However, as time has passed I've realized how qualified many applicants are (including my friends and the people I mentored), and am happy they were accepted, because they are truly incredible people with great potential.
But I'm ready now, and more eager than ever to get started on my medical career. I've been so blessed with all these other opportunities and feel so much more prepared, and I'm incredibly grateful and happy to be where I am. I can only hope admissions committees see that and give me a shot!
I really do admire your attitude. This is the year!
I was complete 7/6 and I still have not heard back. Did this happen to anyone last cycle? At any point should I contact the school and ask them what the status of my application is?
Same here.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, thanks for all your support guys and gals! I really do feel fortunate to be where I am, and it's so hard to be upset when I see so many qualified people around me, both in my friend groups and even on relatively anonymous online forums. 
Although I'd love to go to Mayo, I would feel fortunate and blessed to go anywhere!
👍

Although I'd love to go to Mayo, I would feel fortunate and blessed to go anywhere!
👍
I'd advise you guys not to inquire about status of application prior to being offered an interview...you don't want to come off as desperate or pesky. Also, the office does occasionally follow posts here on SDN and they have been known to associate SDN users with applicants based on 'coincidence' of phone calls and posts, etc. This is the busiest time of the year for the the admissions committee, as there are tons of applications pouring in. Be patient 🙂
I'd advise you guys not to inquire about status of application prior to being offered an interview...you don't want to come off as desperate or pesky. Also, the office does occasionally follow posts here on SDN and they have been known to associate SDN users with applicants based on 'coincidence' of phone calls and posts, etc. This is the busiest time of the year for the the admissions committee, as there are tons of applications pouring in. Be patient 🙂
This is why I am not bothering to call. 🙂 I am actually happy that they are considering me this long! It is helping to boost my confidence. Just a LOR request at Mayo makes me feel like I have already had a successful season! 😍
Thanks for the heads up. So far from what I've gathered in the posts, here's the Interview Invites timeline:
1'st batch: July 22 and a trickle on August 2, both ~2:30-3am EST.
2nd batch: TBD
For those 7/6ers and 7/13ers, hope is still in the air 🙄
If your LORs were received on 7/13 and did not receive a rejection....yet. Is this good or bad?
no news?
If your LORs were received on 7/13 and did not receive a rejection....yet. Is this good or bad?
Good. You haven't been rejected yet.
no news?
Patience... you are all going to have serious anxiety conditions at this rate. News will come, give them time. Checking this forum constantly won't help. Enjoy what's left of summer!
INTERVIEW INVITE!!!
Omg. I can barely believe it! If it wasn't midnight here I would be running and screaming. First interview this cycle!!! Wow such a relief I was so terrified of this cycle, being a reapplicant and all...
I'm gonna be there 10/1!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!
Omg. I can barely believe it! If it wasn't midnight here I would be running and screaming. First interview this cycle!!! Wow such a relief I was so terrified of this cycle, being a reapplicant and all...
I'm gonna be there 10/1!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!
INTERVIEW INVITE!!!
Omg. I can barely believe it! If it wasn't midnight here I would be running and screaming. First interview this cycle!!! Wow such a relief I was so terrified of this cycle, being a reapplicant and all...
I'm gonna be there 10/1!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!
Congrats!!
INTERVIEW INVITE!!!
Omg. I can barely believe it! If it wasn't midnight here I would be running and screaming. First interview this cycle!!! Wow such a relief I was so terrified of this cycle, being a reapplicant and all...
I'm gonna be there 10/1!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!
Congrats 🙂
D
deleted470713
INTERVIEW INVITE!!!
Omg. I can barely believe it! If it wasn't midnight here I would be running and screaming. First interview this cycle!!! Wow such a relief I was so terrified of this cycle, being a reapplicant and all...
I'm gonna be there 10/1!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!
when were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete 7/13 and haven't heard anything. Anyone else stuck in limbo?
Yep. So does that mean our time has passed and we probably won't be receiving an II?
Yep. So does that mean our time has passed and we probably won't be receiving an II?
The way I choose to see it: If Mayo doesn't think you're a good fit, they will send you a rejection ASAP. The fact we haven't been rejected just yet probably means they like our applications but they have more competitive applicants they must interview first.
when were you complete?
7/13! Anyone know if we have to email and ask for a student host?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile
Yep. So does that mean our time has passed and we probably won't be receiving an II?
I'm thinking the same thing..
Interview invite! Complete 7/13. Anyone know the best way to get to campus from out of state? Flights look pricey!!
I'm coming from California, so I think I'm going to fly into MSP. Flying into Rochester is for some reason almost double the cost. I think they have a shuttle that runs from MSP into Rochester so it should be easy once you touch down in Minnesota.
Anyone book a hotel already? I think there was mention of student hosting but I don't really see that information online anywhere. I think bumblebee on this thread said they got an email about student hosts but I wasn't clear if we have to reach out to the admissions office first.
Anyone else from California!? I'm excited I've never really been to Minnesota/that part of the country before!
D
deleted470713
Wow, congratulations on all the interview invites! The office must have been busy this week, haha...
yeah...busy ignoring me and my need for an interview...
I'm coming from California, so I think I'm going to fly into MSP. Flying into Rochester is for some reason almost double the cost. I think they have a shuttle that runs from MSP into Rochester so it should be easy once you touch down in Minnesota.
Anyone book a hotel already? I think there was mention of student hosting but I don't really see that information online anywhere. I think bumblebee on this thread said they got an email about student hosts but I wasn't clear if we have to reach out to the admissions office first.
Anyone else from California!? I'm excited I've never really been to Minnesota/that part of the country before!
I am from California! I got the student host email(and an email that details the interview day) two days after my interview invite. Hang tight it will come!
I am from California! I got the student host email(and an email that details the interview day) two days after my interview invite. Hang tight it will come!
+1 Hurray thanks! 🙂
By complete do you guys mean LOR received or Fee received?
By complete do you guys mean LOR received or Fee received?
LOR received.
slowly working toward the 7/24 complete peeps 🙂
is 7/24 after 7/13? if so, ahhh im in that group!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whoaaaaaa CONGRATS <insert names here>!!!
In the next two or three days you're going to get an e-mail informing you about the hosting situation.
I didn't read all the posts up there but I'm flying in to MSP instead of RST (260 vs ~500 difference in price) and taking the GoRochesterShuttle to Grand Khaler (sp?), it's about 1.5 hour ride IIRC. The ticket is $50 round trip. I haven't bought my ticket for the shuttle yet but if any of you are on my shuttle...SHOTGUN (if applicable).
In the next two or three days you're going to get an e-mail informing you about the hosting situation.
I didn't read all the posts up there but I'm flying in to MSP instead of RST (260 vs ~500 difference in price) and taking the GoRochesterShuttle to Grand Khaler (sp?), it's about 1.5 hour ride IIRC. The ticket is $50 round trip. I haven't bought my ticket for the shuttle yet but if any of you are on my shuttle...SHOTGUN (if applicable).
Whoaaaaaa CONGRATS <insert names here>!!!
In the next two or three days you're going to get an e-mail informing you about the hosting situation.
I didn't read all the posts up there but I'm flying in to MSP instead of RST (260 vs ~500 difference in price) and taking the GoRochesterShuttle to Grand Khaler (sp?). The ticket is $50 round trip. I haven't bought my ticket for the shuttle yet but if any of you are on my shuttle...if applicable (i'm guessing its a normal van)...SHOTGUN.
+1 gotta see the van before you can call shotgun! 😀
You're right....how could I have made such a heinous mistake.+1 gotta see the van before you can call shotgun! 😀
"There is no crime greater than calling Shotgun on Monday in reference to the ride to the concert on Friday. Some people choose to play this way, and they are fools." [source: http://www.shotgunrules.com/] I am but a fool....
dang flying into MSP is WAY cheaper than RST. craziness.
p.s. those trying to book tickets-- I used www.Kayak.com to compare prices
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K