2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
p.s. those trying to book tickets-- I used www.Kayak.com to compare prices
On that note, I found that booking a series of one-way flights was cheaper with priceline, but I'm not sure if it was because I had a complicated trip. My travel cost for that trip was 768 with Kayak and 568 with priceline.
 
On that note, I found that booking a series of one-way flights was cheaper with priceline, but I'm not sure if it was because I had a complicated trip. My travel cost for that trip was 768 with Kayak and 568 with priceline.

dang are you flying straight to Rochester? $500+ 😵

I used hipmunk. great visual timeline to help you pick flights. I got away with less than $250 roundtrip from CA to MSP
 
dang are you flying straight to Rochester? $500+ 😵

I used hipmunk. great visual timeline to help you pick flights. I got away with less than $250 roundtrip from CA to MSP
I'm combining it with a trip to DC. If I'd just gone to MSP from SFO, it was around 120 each way. DC definitely killed me 🙂.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On that note, I found that booking a series of one-way flights was cheaper with priceline, but I'm not sure if it was because I had a complicated trip. My travel cost for that trip was 768 with Kayak and 568 with priceline.

Oh, there's a thing at the bottom where it will pull up other sites, too! Regardless, bummed to see you didn't get good rate with Kayak, it has been spot on for me numerous times
 
Oh, there's a thing at the bottom where it will pull up other sites, too! Regardless, bummed to see you didn't get good rate with Kayak, it has been spot on for me numerous times
I know! I was shocked that there was such a difference! The only reason I checked anywhere else was because it was so expensive. Kayak has always been so good to me in the past :/
 
Curious if there are any 7/6 people still in limbo.

I'm was not complete 7/6, I'm just kinda curious if Mayo reviews you and then sticks you into an II pile or reject pile, or if there is also a "hold" pile that may receive II's at a later date.
same here. LOR complete 7/6. no news yet =/
The wait has been quite intolerable of late. I'm trying to be optimistic, but considering the interview invites for the first two batches, I'm not too hopeful
 
Finally got verified, and submitted to Mayo today. How long does it typically take for LOR requests? Assuming I don't get a silent rejection....

You'll get a fee received email.

Then depending on the strength of your application it could be up to a month or longer to hear back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I understand, they do not look at personal statement or LORs until you get the LOR request email. They screen based on ECs - not sure about GPA or MCAT. I do know they have a screen based on GPA & MCAT, but it's pretty low.
 
From what I understand, they do not look at personal statement or LORs until you get the LOR request email. They screen based on ECs - not sure about GPA or MCAT. I do know they have a screen based on GPA & MCAT, but it's pretty low.

I mean after the LOR request email.. do they still screen by GPA/MCAT or is it mainly just EC's and LORs?
 
I recently attended a campus visit at Mayo, and the Admissions Coordinator outlined the following:

First they screen based on GPA/MCAT, which is essentially a LizzyM score of 62 or higher. After the academic screen, academics are not considered "much".

Next, they look at your ECs. If they think you're a good "fit", they send the LOR request.

Only after sending the LOR request, do they look at your LOR's and personal statement.

Good luck!
 
I recently attended a campus visit at Mayo, and the Admissions Coordinator outlined the following:

First they screen based on GPA/MCAT, which is essentially a LizzyM score of 62 or higher. After the academic screen, academics are not considered "much".

Next, they look at your ECs. If they think you're a good "fit", they send the LOR request.

Only after sending the LOR request, do they look at your LOR's and personal statement.

Good luck!

I recently attended a Mayo medical school 101 workshop and the keynote speaker said the exact same thing about the initial screen being based off a number like 62. She hinted that it used to be lower not too long ago as well. She was on the admissions committee for 10 years before moving to a new role last spring.
 
Interview invite. I can't believe it. Didn't expect this at all. I can't express how grateful I am for this amazing opportunity. Thank you Mayo..

Complete 7/13
 
Interview invite. I can't believe it. Didn't expect this at all. I can't express how grateful I am for this amazing opportunity. Thank you Mayo..

Complete 7/13

Congrats 🙂

On another note. I just got the student host information/additional interview confirmation emails. Emailed for a student host!!
 
don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that they are still working on 7/13-ers, but I just want to know good or bad!! COMME ON
 
I just noticed on MSAR that Mayo doesn't accept online coursework to fulfill requirements. I took my Biochemistry class online.... does that mean I'm thrown out?>
 
Infinite congratulations to everyone receiving interview invites (and really anyone advancing in the process). It's such an honor to feel wanted by such a great school, so you guys and gals should feel great! Good luck at your interviews!

👍
 
Could you share MCAT/GPA ?

3.67c/3.55s 33 MCAT w/ 8 VR. I have so much respect for Mayo for taking such a holistic approach when evaluating applicants. I can't imagine myself getting an invite to any other school of such great caliber based largely on my numbers.

Thank you so much, everyone 🙂
 
...We wish you well in your future pursuits and offer you our best wishes for success...

Rejected post-LOR request on Thursday. I'm not surprised though; if I'd been accepted my 3.1 GPA would most likely have been the lowest in the class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like the person in the car in one of those wind tunnels, where everything visibly approaches me but is deflected away by the car... :laugh:

Sorry for all the rejections--you guys will have good fortune yet this season, I feel it!
 
Last edited:
I got the fee received email July 30, request for letters on July 31. Pretty snappy, at least up to that point. Now I'm in purgatory for who knows how long...

Have your letters been received?

There was a whole batch received this last week according to this thread.
 
Yep! Letters received as of 8/7.

Ha, it feels like I've been waiting longer than that. I've always been a patient person, but that quality seems to suddenly be eluding me this month.
 
Yep! Letters received as of 8/7.

Ha, it feels like I've been waiting longer than that. I've always been a patient person, but that quality seems to suddenly be eluding me this month.

Appears as if they're still fiddling with July's applications. I wouldn't even bother thinking about it until people from August start popping in with news.
 
Yeah, I'm just trying to put my head down & slog through the OHSU secondary, aka The Longest Secondary Ever. I can think about Mayo in a couple weeks.
 
Yeah, I'm just trying to put my head down & slog through the OHSU secondary, aka The Longest Secondary Ever. I can think about Mayo in a couple weeks.

I'd be willing to contend that Duke's is longer. Or at bare minimum, more bewildering.
 
Update:

On pace for over 5000 applicants
So far 94 interviews have been offered
Interviews every Monday and Friday.

I signed up to be a tour-guide as well as a lunch panel member; I wish you all the best of luck!
 
Update:

On pace for over 5000 applicants
So far 94 interviews have been offered
Interviews every Monday and Friday.

I signed up to be a tour-guide as well as a lunch panel member; I wish you all the best of luck!

There's still plenty of hope for me! 👍
 
There's still plenty of hope for me! 👍

1/3 of the interviews are given.

Betheltim, the time to act is now! Give 'em all we got!

cat-firing-machine-gun.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welp, got the official rejection email!

It's been a fun ride, friends! Best of luck to everyone else in the process--what an incredible opportunity many of you will have to be able to attend such a great school! See (some of) you on the rest of the interview trail.

👍

tumblr_m5xmkaccC71r03okc.gif
 
Last edited:
Welp, got the official rejection email!

It's been a fun ride, friends! Best of luck to everyone else in the process--what an incredible opportunity many of you will have to be able to attend such a great school! See (some of) you on the rest of the interview trail.

👍

No dice here either. Best of luck everybody!

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you guys...I wish you both great success with the rest of your application :luck:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.