2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have any idea how many of those 700 LOR-requested applicants will get interviews? It sounds like the odds are very slim...I just want to hear back soon :xf:

Nope.... She just told me to wait and see


Sent using SDN app, please excuse typos and brevity.
 
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant. I received my MCAT score very late and so applied on Sep 29 2012 ! I know it is late but my question is is that too late to ruin all the possible chances ?
My MCAT is 34 and my GPA is 3.8+. I haven't heard from Mayo yet and I really love this school 🙁 Any idea ? should I just wait longer or should I write a letter of interest?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant. I received my MCAT score very late and so applied on Sep 29 2012 ! I know it is late but my question is is that too late to ruin all the possible chances ?
My MCAT is 34 and my GPA is 3.8+. I haven't heard from Mayo yet and I really love this school 🙁 Any idea ? should I just wait longer or should I write a letter of interest?

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Mayo doesn't accept interest letters pre-interview. So all you can do right now is wait..Sorry 🙁

Hopefully you'll hear back soon though, good luck!
 
In all honesty, I'd imagine they've already given out all their December interviews, considering it's the end of November. Having such an early end to the season really hurts people who apply even a little later (why does AMCAS even offer the MCAT in June through September if it puts people at such a substantial disadvantage?), but nothing much else to do.

Hopefully it'll work out for some of us 🙂
 
In all honesty, I'd imagine they've already given out all their December interviews, considering it's the end of November. Having such an early end to the season really hurts people who apply even a little later (why does AMCAS even offer the MCAT in June through September if it puts people at such a substantial disadvantage?), but nothing much else to do.

Hopefully it'll work out for some of us 🙂

+1


Sent using SDN app, please excuse typos and brevity.
 
In all honesty, I'd imagine they've already given out all their December interviews, considering it's the end of November. Having such an early end to the season really hurts people who apply even a little later (why does AMCAS even offer the MCAT in June through September if it puts people at such a substantial disadvantage?), but nothing much else to do.

Hopefully it'll work out for some of us 🙂
I completely agree with you. Rolling admission shouldn't be this much determinative
 
No longer in LOR received/pre II limbo! I got the II email yesterday and can't wait until December 🙂 I hope those still in limbo hear back soon!! :luck:
 
In all honesty, I'd imagine they've already given out all their December interviews, considering it's the end of November. Having such an early end to the season really hurts people who apply even a little later (why does AMCAS even offer the MCAT in June through September if it puts people at such a substantial disadvantage?), but nothing much else to do.

Hopefully it'll work out for some of us 🙂

Because lots of people, including myself, really benefit from having the whole summer to study for the exam, which we then proceed to use the following May.
 
Rejected Post-Lor..... Complete 10/30.... This day will live in infamy....Mayo you will regret this **drops mic**


Sent using SDN app, please excuse typos and brevity.
 
Anyone from 8/29 hear anything? 🙁 sigh...

But congrats on getting the interview! 🙂

Complete 10/18, so we're sorta in the same boat now that a rejections after our dates have gone out.

According to Gina when I called a few weeks ago, interview decisions should go out anywhere from this coming Tuesday to next Tuesday (3-4 weeks from my earlier post here).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As much as I love Mayo, is anyone else getting annoyed about this whole process? This seems like a special brand of torture, even compared to the regular brand of excruciating waiting this whole application process entails.

Sigh... what else can we do aside from neurotically checking our email every 2 minutes in hopes of a II?
 
As much as I love Mayo, is anyone else getting annoyed about this whole process? This seems like a special brand of torture, even compared to the regular brand of excruciating waiting this whole application process entails.

Sigh... what else can we do aside from neurotically checking our email every 2 minutes in hopes of a II?

The process is super annoying. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. All we can do is try to relax and hope for the best! :luck:
 
As much as I love Mayo, is anyone else getting annoyed about this whole process? This seems like a special brand of torture, even compared to the regular brand of excruciating waiting this whole application process entails.

Sigh... what else can we do aside from neurotically checking our email every 2 minutes in hopes of a II?

Unfortunately, Mayo's brand of admissions torture is no different than anyone else's. Think how difficult it will be to interview in September and then wait until every single person finds out in March whether or not they got in? Some schools do it this way, so everyone has their own version of what the "least painful" way of going about it is.

For everyone who has yet to hear, hold in there. Worrying doesn't change anything - it just makes you miserable. I know my saying that isn't going to change a single thing about how you are all behaving (because I was in your shoes a year ago, so I know the feeling), but I just want to put it out there to try and calm your nerves a bit.

Good luck to all, and if anyone has any questions about Mayo, throw them out here and I'll definitely do my best to answer them!
 
Good luck to all, and if anyone has any questions about Mayo, throw them out here and I'll definitely do my best to answer them!

I'll bite....

1. How do you like the class size? Is there a sense of community? Is the class pretty close?

2. How do you like living in Rochester? What does everyone do with their free time? Do you guys have free time 😛?

3. What is the standard week like?(Ie Monday: Class 8-5, Tue:... or w/e)

If you could provide some insight into any of these questions that would be fantastic. I know you are probably busy so no pressure if they are not easy to answer/explain.
 
I think is has been asked before, but for those on hold is it possible to get accepted directly from the hold list before the end of the year (when they will have filled all 41 spots) just like they later interviewees that have been ranked and not put on hold, or is it that you have to get on the waitlist first? I was put on hold mid-October and haven't heard anything else since. Also, I know they're receptive to update letters but how about a LOI?
 
I think is has been asked before, but for those on hold is it possible to get accepted directly from the hold list before the end of the year (when they will have filled all 41 spots) just like they later interviewees that have been ranked and not put on hold, or is it that you have to get on the waitlist first? I was put on hold mid-October and haven't heard anything else since. Also, I know they're receptive to update letters but how about a LOI?

I believe that you can be accepted at any time since they review hold applicants as well every week (or 2 weeks?).


Hoping for some good news today (Wednesday!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also rejected pre-interview (at 1:30 in the morning, really Mayo?). Was completely expecting it but still stings a little.

LOR request 9/24, complete 10/5, rejected 11/28.

Good luck to the rest of you!
 
I'll bite....

1. How do you like the class size? Is there a sense of community? Is the class pretty close?

2. How do you like living in Rochester? What does everyone do with their free time? Do you guys have free time 😛?

3. What is the standard week like?(Ie Monday: Class 8-5, Tue:... or w/e)

If you could provide some insight into any of these questions that would be fantastic. I know you are probably busy so no pressure if they are not easy to answer/explain.

1. The class size is really a personal preference thing, but I love it. Having a small class size means it is completely possible (and almost unavoidable) that you will know everyone much better than you did your classmates in undergrad. There is a HUGE sense of community among the first year class, and we do a lot of things together. People will throw out on the Facebook page invitations to go out to dinner, to come over and watch football games, to make trips to the Twin Cities, etc. and then anyone who is interested goes. It's very inclusive and great for finding something to do when you have a bit of free time.

2. I like living in Rochester a lot. As you all probably know already, Rochester IS NOT a city. It's not a hick town, either, but it isn't Chicago, LA, or New York. If you need there to be 50 restaurants to choose from each night and 10 dance clubs, you're going to be out of luck. Minneapolis (about a 1 hour and 15 minute drive away) has all of those things and more, but Rochester has fewer restaurants and places to dance. They do, however, have a decent number of things like concerts, shows, and art. There are not any sports teams based out of Rochester except for a low-division baseball team, whose games are pretty fun despite their lack of any appreciable skill. If you're an outdoors person, there are A TON of things to do in Rochester - hiking, biking, kayaking, tubing, canoeing, camping are all available in the area. There is also a kickass Mayo gym that is free for medical students in their 1st and 2nd years. My classmates take advantage of all of these things, in addition to making trips to the Cities and other nearby areas that have the things Rochester lacks. As for how much free time we have, it depends on which block we are in and how you study, but I haven't felt very often as though I have no time at all. I don't have as much time as my friends that are not in medical school, or the amount of time I had in undergrad, but I still feel like I have balance and time to do things I enjoy.

3. Standard week: You're pretty much in class from 8:00am-12:00pm Monday through Friday. Two hours of that is typically lecture and two hours is typically group learning or dissection or microscope or something interactive. Then, about one or two afternoons a week, you will have something like Basic Doctoring (where you learn to do a patient interview and physical exam) or another "accessory class". Otherwise, your afternoons are free. There are no weekend obligations.

I hope this all helps! Let me know if you need anything clarified.
 
Good luck to all, and if anyone has any questions about Mayo, throw them out here and I'll definitely do my best to answer them!
Are exams at the end of each block? Do you typically have "off" weekends after exams? How similar are they to STEP 1?


Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Are exams at the end of each block? Do you typically have "off" weekends after exams? How similar are they to STEP 1?


Thanks!

Yes, there are final exams at the end of each block. They typically include a section that are Boards questions (i.e. exactly question from the STEP that fit the class you just took) and then another section that is written by the professor, which are very similar to Board-style questions. Mayo exams also prepare you for the Boards because they are all taken on a computer, just like your Board exams will be. They also get you familiar with the program the STEP is taken on.

Mayo actually has "off" weeks after each block exam, called Selective. There are 31 weeks of selective over your first two years, and 12 of them can be used for straight up vacation - nothing required. The other 19 have to be used for some kind of educational enrichment, but you get to pick it. You can shadow, go do service work, travel the world, do research - whatever you dream up that you can get approved for its education purpose. This is a completely unique program that only Mayo offers, and I can tell you from personal experience that they are phenomenal for career planning, staying involved in what you are interested in, and reminding yourself that at the end of this first two years of book study, there are patients waiting 🙂
 
Yes, there are final exams at the end of each block. They typically include a section that are Boards questions (i.e. exactly question from the STEP that fit the class you just took) and then another section that is written by the professor, which are very similar to Board-style questions. Mayo exams also prepare you for the Boards because they are all taken on a computer, just like your Board exams will be. They also get you familiar with the program the STEP is taken on.

Mayo actually has "off" weeks after each block exam, called Selective. There are 31 weeks of selective over your first two years, and 12 of them can be used for straight up vacation - nothing required. The other 19 have to be used for some kind of educational enrichment, but you get to pick it. You can shadow, go do service work, travel the world, do research - whatever you dream up that you can get approved for its education purpose. This is a completely unique program that only Mayo offers, and I can tell you from personal experience that they are phenomenal for career planning, staying involved in what you are interested in, and reminding yourself that at the end of this first two years of book study, there are patients waiting 🙂

Ahhhhhh! It is sooo good! It hurts so good to hear about it and not know that I will be there in the future. I want to matriculate here so badly! 😀 Mayo is incredible. 😍 On hold since October 2nd.

----
Mayo place of dreams

thirst for opportunity

patiently I wait
-dgsilvervid
----
 
Ahhhhhh! It is sooo good! It hurts so good to hear about it and not know that I will be there in the future. I want to matriculate here so badly! 😀 Mayo is incredible. 😍 On hold since October 2nd.

----
Mayo place of dreams

thirst for opportunity

patiently I wait
-dgsilvervid
----

Right there with ya :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just spoke to Gina...apparently several hundred applications are still pending. They are hoping to have have them done over the next week, and will email applicants as decisions are made. Until then, I guess several of us will still be dangling in the wind.
 
I interviewed there on Monday and Gina said that they usually make 60-80 appointments per year and this far they've made about half of those. They did say though that by the end I January, everyone will be notified of whether they're accepted, rejected, or wait listed. However, if you interviewed a while back, I'd assume you'd hear before then for sure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.