-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
All these post-LOR rejections are making me queasy 🙁 Are there even any interview dates left to give out considering they're supposedly done with interviews by mid-December?
You're referring to post-interview decisions correct? Not post-LOR/pre-interview?
Just spoke to Gina...apparently several hundred applications are still pending. They are hoping to have have them done over the next week, and will email applicants as decisions are made. Until then, I guess several of us will still be dangling in the wind.
You're referring to post-interview decisions correct? Not post-LOR/pre-interview?
Just spoke to Gina...apparently several hundred applications are still pending. They are hoping to have have them done over the next week, and will email applicants as decisions are made. Until then, I guess several of us will still be dangling in the wind.
Yeah... 8/29, still nothing 🙁 Better than a rejection, but it seems like there aren't even any more interview dates, so why keep us all hanging?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All these post-LOR rejections are making me queasy 🙁 Are there even any interview dates left to give out considering they're supposedly done with interviews by mid-December?
You're referring to post-interview decisions correct? Not post-LOR/pre-interview?
No, to post-LOR/pre-interview.....I have a feeling alot of heads will be rolling over next few days...mine included....
Wow ! So all interview dates are all ready filled? If it's correct then there is almost no hope for us. How do u know about the interview positions?Yeah... 8/29, still nothing 🙁 Better than a rejection, but it seems like there aren't even any more interview dates, so why keep us all hanging?
Wow ! So all interview dates are all ready filled? If it's correct then there is almost no hope for us. How do u know about the interview positions?
Mayo interviews only through December. I don't know how many interview days there are in December... but... I mean, it can't be that good. Several hundred is a lot of people to cut, considering they've already accepted half their class. Should've applied earlier, but oh well..
Wow ! So all interview dates are all ready filled? If it's correct then there is almost no hope for us. How do u know about the interview positions?
I dont think the spots have been filled. I alluded to Gina this morning I was hoping to plan my December schedule around an interview if I was gonna be selected for one, so it would be helpful to know sooner rather than later if I was selected. She indicated they still have lots to of applicatios to go through, so I am pretty sure there are interview spots left...they just have to comb through and see to whom they wish to extended them to.
I dont think the spots have been filled. I alluded to Gina this morning I was hoping to plan my December schedule around an interview if I was gonna be selected for one, so it would be helpful to know sooner rather than later if I was selected. She indicated they still have lots to of applicatios to go through, so I am pretty sure there are interview spots left...they just have to comb through and see to whom they wish to extended them to.
I agree with you. Intuitively speaking they should reserve some spots for those who apply in October/November as they know they will receive lots of application in these two months. The trend is almost the same every year so they probably know how to distribute the interviews
Oh wow... I didn't realize the ranked and hold emails were separate things. So far I have only been ranked.
don't understand how you can be interviewed 10/2 and still not ranked/hold yet.
Anyone know what the hold e-mail looks like and around when we can expect that? 🙂
Was wondering how these adcoms distribute these decision making days, also considering how many more apps must be combed through.

don't understand how you can be interviewed 10/2 and still not ranked/hold yet.
Anyone know what the hold e-mail looks like and around when we can expect that? 🙂
Was wondering how these adcoms distribute these decision making days, also considering how many more apps must be combed through.![]()
I have been ranked.... However from the post that I read above it sounded like being ranked and being put on hold are two separate events. So I have been ranked, but I never received any other type of correspondence saying I have been placed on hold.
I am assuming ranked and hold are actually the same thing.
Last edited:
I have been ranked.... However from the post that I read above it sounded like being ranked and being put on hold are two separate events. So I have been ranked, but I never received any other type of correspondence saying I have been placed on hold.
I am assuming ranked and hold are actually the same thing.
I don't think so. You get ranked by the committee and then that is translated into a decision a couple weeks after I believe.
I don't think so. You get ranked by the committee and then that is translated into a decision a couple weeks after I believe.
Ah silly me! Thanks Tots
Had to scour my gmail a bit more
Dear dgsilvervid,
On behalf of our Admissions Committee, I would like to thank you for taking the time to visit Mayo Medical School and grant us the opportunity to meet you and discuss your future career in medicine. I sincerely hope that you enjoyed your time at our school.
Your application is currently in hold status. The Admissions Committee will continue to periodically review all of our ranked applicants until all interviews are completed. We assure you that you will be notified as soon as action is taken on your application.
We thank you for your patience with this process.
Sincerely,
Susan A. Romanski, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Mayo Medical School
Ah silly me! Thanks Tots
Had to scour my gmail a bit more
Dear dgsilvervid,
On behalf of our Admissions Committee, I would like to thank you for taking the time to visit Mayo Medical School and grant us the opportunity to meet you and discuss your future career in medicine. I sincerely hope that you enjoyed your time at our school.
Your application is currently in hold status. The Admissions Committee will continue to periodically review all of our ranked applicants until all interviews are completed. We assure you that you will be notified as soon as action is taken on your application.
We thank you for your patience with this process.
Sincerely,
Susan A. Romanski, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Mayo Medical School
Ok ;p I'm sure I'll get that soon, they seem to have so few spots left as is and everyone here (except Tots) had gotten the hold of death. A nice opportunity it swas though 🙂
I don't think so. You get ranked by the committee and then that is translated into a decision a couple weeks after I believe.
Just curious btw, is these decisions (the appointments) a unanimous vote? I would guess that in contrast to interview selection, which seems odd how only one person selects who interviews as per mayo website:
"The Associate Dean of Student Affairs reviews completed applications and selects qualified applicants for on-campus interviews in Rochester, Minnesota."
http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/admissions/interview
I dont think the spots have been filled. I alluded to Gina this morning I was hoping to plan my December schedule around an interview if I was gonna be selected for one, so it would be helpful to know sooner rather than later if I was selected. She indicated they still have lots to of applicatios to go through, so I am pretty sure there are interview spots left...they just have to comb through and see to whom they wish to extended them to.
Yes, but I don't understand why they'd send out interview invites for December, IN DECEMBER... such a short notice, and I'm sure many applicants (at least, the college seniors) have to deal with final exams, and the last week of December isn't even a real interview week due to the holidays. So realistically, if Mayo's interview season only goes through December... I don't see how many people could be interviewed. 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, but I don't understand why they'd send out interview invites for December, IN DECEMBER...
I had one school give me an interview invite only two weeks before the interview. I was annoyed at first but then they accepted me & that definitely made up for it.
I very much see your point...luckily for me, I am not currently in university. I suppose if you are invited, you have to weigh your options, and see if it is worth compromising your schedule for a potential acceptance at such a selective program....Yes, but I don't understand why they'd send out interview invites for December, IN DECEMBER... such a short notice, and I'm sure many applicants (at least, the college seniors) have to deal with final exams, and the last week of December isn't even a real interview week due to the holidays. So realistically, if Mayo's interview season only goes through December... I don't see how many people could be interviewed. 😕
I had one school give me an interview invite only two weeks before the interview. I was annoyed at first but then they accepted me & that definitely made up for it.
mm.. not to mention the pricier plane tickets due to short notice...
At my interview this week they said that 27 of 42 MD spots were filled. My host also said last year they added an extra interview day because there were so many qualified applicants.
Whoa. Fifteen spots left. Are they basically adding just one or two people per interview date at this point?
Whoa. Fifteen spots left. Are they basically adding just one or two people per interview date at this point?
Hm, I'm hoping I misunderstood. Maybe she actually said 27 left? But it was two weeks ago that you guys reported 26 spots left so maybe some people withdrew? I do remember her saying that they eventually appoint 70-80 per year, so half the class is from the waitlist. Sorry I'm not being more helpful.
EDIT: just checked my notes and they did indeed fill 27 of the 42 spots.
Last edited:
D
deleted127837
I had one school give me an interview invite only two weeks before the interview. I was annoyed at first but then they accepted me & that definitely made up for it.
I had a school across the country offer me an interview for the next day. Thankfully they let me shift the time to something a few weeks later, though the school was so competitive I sometimes wonder if I should have taken them up on their offer.
Hm, I'm hoping I misunderstood. Maybe she actually said 27 left? But it was two weeks ago that you guys reported 26 spots left so maybe some people withdrew? I do remember her saying that they eventually appoint 70-80 per year, so half the class is from the waitlist. Sorry I'm not being more helpful.
EDIT: just checked my notes and they did indeed fill 27 of the 42 spots.
Everyone seems to be forgetting the fair amount of turnover in their class.
Knowing what I know now after my interview. I would walk to Rochester from Illinois all smiles if they offered me an interview next day just sayin.
No 3 am rejections this weekend? There is probably a big final cut coming Monday. Mayo must be sharpening it's ax over the weekend? Gulp! Before I go, I would just like to say......Another Saturday 3AM passes.
Art of medicine
Rochester Minnesota
Snow white hills surround
Rochester Minnesota
Snow white hills surround
D
deleted329605
Art of medicine
Rochester Minnesota
Snow white hills surround
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
I'll be interviewing here in a week! This is the only one I've gotten which is strange considering its probably the most selective school I applied to. Anyone else joining me on the Dec. 10 interview date? When I signed up for my interview there were just two dates open in December (10 and 17) if that is useful information to anyone.
Good luck to all waiting to hear about the II.
Good luck to all waiting to hear about the II.
I'll be interviewing here in a week! This is the only one I've gotten which is strange considering its probably the most selective school I applied to. Anyone else joining me on the Dec. 10 interview date? When I signed up for my interview there were just two dates open in December (10 and 17) if that is useful information to anyone.
Good luck to all waiting to hear about the II.
Good luck to you and congrats on your II! Greatly appreciate the information. Could you report back on any stats they give out ? Thanks ^_^
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys think that those of us that are still in the post-LOR, pre-II limbo will get an email tonight?
D
deleted127837
Where did that rumor come from?
Complete 10/18, so we're sorta in the same boat now that a rejections after our dates have gone out.
According to Gina when I called a few weeks ago, interview decisions should go out anywhere from this coming Tuesday to next Tuesday (3-4 weeks from my earlier post here).
I was remembering this ^
D
deleted127837
Oh. Well, to answer your question: not sure at all. But maybe. 🙂
I called again today...Gina said that she hopes to have all the ii and post LOR/Pre interview rejections sent out within the next week....if we consider the last day to interview is 17 Dec according to premed529...then this makes sense......so it looks like we could be dangling a bit longer...lack of an ii doesn't mean rejection at this point i would thinkI was remembering this ^
Have there been any acceptances since 11/14?
I think some probably went out last Wednesday (11/28), but that no one on SDN got one of them (or at least posted about it).
Nothing came my way tonight, guess ill keep waiting until tomorrow night..
Last edited:
D
deleted127837
Did you guys send thank you letters or emails to your interviewers? I am having a hard time finding the email address of one of my interviewers.
Send it to Gina, she can forward it along?
Did you guys send thank you letters or emails to your interviewers? I am having a hard time finding the email address of one of my interviewers.
I sent a letter--only because at my interview they mentioned that they "handed out" thank you letters before adcom meetings. Either way, email or snail mail, you can just send the letter to Gina! 🙂
Well I just got the rejection email. Almost sounded like they are done giving out interviews by the wording of the email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your application and interest in Mayo Medical School. The medical school admissions committee has recently concluded a thorough review of a large number of applications received from interested individuals.
That's why I think they finished.
Will do! And thanks 🙂Good luck to you and congrats on your II! Greatly appreciate the information. Could you report back on any stats they give out ? Thanks ^_^
Rejected POST LOR complete 10/30....Good luck to those still in the running!
good luck!! If they held you on for this long I'm sure you had a very good primary app 🙂Rejected POST LOR complete 10/30....Good luck to those still in the running!
still nothing on my end... mayooo...
anyone else who still hasn't heard anything?
Last edited:
good luck!! If they held you on for this long I'm sure you had a very good primary app 🙂
still nothing on my end... mayooo...
anyone else who still hasn't heard anything?
Nope. I've been complete since late September. Just waiting to get the e-mail from Gina "there were an unusual number of qualified applicants this year...sorry mayo doesn't want you"
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K
How sure are we that tomorrow is the last day for ii??