2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected. Complete 8/29. Saw it coming. At least i was able to get an lor request. Oh well....
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No it does not tell you your rank oranything really, just that you were ranked. I do not really see the point of this at all.
 
Any other 8/29ers hear anything? Any chance of invites going out tonight (technically tomorrow) in the early am hours??
 
well, if someone from the 8/29 pool has heard back... does that mean anything for those who haven't? (do rejections come out before interview invites, for example?)
 
well, if someone from the 8/29 pool has heard back... does that mean anything for those who haven't? (do rejections come out before interview invites, for example?)

Not sure. Have they sent information out Friday nights before? I feel like they have, but I really don't want to dig back through the thread to check and see.
 
II! Complete 8/29. I am so humbled and honored to even be considered.

Bravo! And congrats 🙂 You will love love love it


As a side question:

Anyone know how much aid they will be offering this year?


I heard that they didn't have as much from donors.

Nonetheless, this school is amazing. I wish just I could get ing
 
Anyone know how much aid they will be offering this year?

I heard that they didn't have as much from donors.

Nonetheless, this school is amazing. I wish just I could get ing

Even Mayo doesn't know how much aid they will be offering next year. The numbers never come in this early. What I can tell you is that the scholarship awards at Mayo are very generous, and it is definitely more affordable BY FAR than any other school I interviewed at when I was in the process. I wouldn't give a single thought to affordability as far as Mayo is concerned.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed about a month ago, no email on ranking or anything after that...should I be worried?

I wouldn't be concerned. The later it is in the interview cycle, the longer it takes them to get to your application and give you a rank. They will rank you and they will get back to you - the amount of time it takes for them to do that is not necessarily indicative of your performance in the interview or their desire to have you as a part of the Mayo family.

Less stress, more breaths, everyone!
 
I interviewed about a month ago, no email on ranking or anything after that...should I be worried?

It could also be that your file may have not gotten ranked at the last two meetings if either of your interviewers weren't able to make them.
 
My interview is in a couple weeks! I am wondering where you guys stayed, if you stayed in a hotel. I have a student host for one night, but I am staying an extra night in Rochester and am looking for a cheap place to sleep. Also, did you guys take the GoRochester direct shuttle from Minneapolis? Is it reliable?
 
My interview is in a couple weeks! I am wondering where you guys stayed, if you stayed in a hotel. I have a student host for one night, but I am staying an extra night in Rochester and am looking for a cheap place to sleep. Also, did you guys take the GoRochester direct shuttle from Minneapolis? Is it reliable?

I stayed with a student host, but I would have stayed in the Grand Kahler because of how nice it was for the price with the Mayo discount. I believe it's $85. You usually can't get cheaper than that for a luxury hotel.

The GoRochesterDirect is very reliable and comes I believe every hour or 45 minutes. Just be sure to tip a dollar or two afterwards since it is a 1.5 hour drive for them. There's free wifi on the shuttle too, which was weird to me that they could do that.
 
My interview is in a couple weeks! I am wondering where you guys stayed, if you stayed in a hotel. I have a student host for one night, but I am staying an extra night in Rochester and am looking for a cheap place to sleep. Also, did you guys take the GoRochester direct shuttle from Minneapolis? Is it reliable?

2nd Street Inn is about $35 and right down the road from Mayo. They have a shuttle as well. For the price, it wasn't bad at all. Continental breakfast was included...
 
Been on hold status since 10/19. All I want is you Mayo Medical School! <3 I would love to hear something before christmas but I am willing to wait as long as it takes. 😍
 
I have no idea what's going on with acceptances, but I'm getting on a plane to Minneapolis on Thursday. Finally I get to see for myself if this place really is made of rainbows and unicorns like everyone says.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What happened to the Pizza Rolls, anyway?

I am not sure actually. That was in the long long ago. I wish there was more activity on this thread though it is kinda sad, not much is posted anymore. Could you give us an update on any numbers you get on interview day?
 
When are the next round of II coming out? My LORs were confirmed at the beginning of oct.

It looks like right now the 8/29 people haven't heard anything yet, so it could be quite awhile if you were complete in October.
 
For some reason, I think they're selecting low stat, extraordinary story individuals now....... If you think about it, each school has an average for mcat and gpa.,... Most high stat applicants apply early so those spots get filled....then they start "looking" for low stat, extraordinary story individuals..... I think this makes sense to me


Sent using SDN app, please excuse typos and brevity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nah, you get used to it! (Complete early July here....) Just hoping they hang onto a spot for me at the end. 😀

Oh, whoa, I did not realize that they left people hanging from previous "cohorts."

Still have not heard anything, and it appears they've moved on to the 9/10 group already... this is confusing.
 
For some reason, I think they're selecting low stat, extraordinary story individuals now....... If you think about it, each school has an average for mcat and gpa.,... Most high stat applicants apply early so those spots get filled....then they start "looking" for low stat, extraordinary story individuals..... I think this makes sense to me


Sent using SDN app, please excuse typos and brevity.

This makes sense in a way, if they establish "quotas" for people with top scores (or simply ran out of top-scored people). Only 300ish people a year have 40+ MCATs, and I don't know how many of them apply to Mayo.

Oh, whoa, I did not realize that they left people hanging from previous "cohorts."

Still have not heard anything, and it appears they've moved on to the 9/10 group already... this is confusing.

It sounds as though they reject people any given day of the week, but give out IIs on specific days (Saturday at 3 am?). Might be good news for people in that app window (8/29 ~ 9/10) or there's a bunch of people in that group on pre-interview hold now. I guess we'll see 🙂👍
 
Another 3 AM passes without an email from Mayo...
Have any 9/10 people gotten interviews? Or any other 8/29ers who haven't heard anything?
 
Another 3 AM passes without an email from Mayo...
Have any 9/10 people gotten interviews? Or any other 8/29ers who haven't heard anything?

Maybe 3AM will be on Thursday as Monday was a holiday. Hang in there 🙂🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.