2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This has been said before but here it goes:

Yes, Mayo may be looking for some minimum number of hours doing X and Y, but you can do all the things in the world and if you didn't explain on AMCAS what you learned from those things, then they were useless in Mayo's eyes.

I keep seeing people say "I did this for 1000 hours" and "I did that for 5000 hours with a 10.0 GPA and 80 MCAT." My guess is that your application seemed choppy. Did you briefly mention what led you to an activity, briefly describe what you did if it wasn't obvious, then talk about what you learned about each activity? Did you try to connect your activities with your reason for pursuing medicine?

700 characters. 🙄

I did this the best I could though, we'll see if Mayo thinks so.

I asked about stats because from what I've seen stats seem to have little correlation with Mayo. And nice work DrDestroy, wish ya luck. Still waiting on my rejection after they told me they got my payment, haha.
 
This has been said before but here it goes:

Yes, Mayo may be looking for some minimum number of hours doing X and Y, but you can do all the things in the world and if you didn't explain on AMCAS what you learned from those things, then they were useless in Mayo's eyes.

I keep seeing people say "I did this for 1000 hours" and "I did that for 5000 hours with a 10.0 GPA and 80 MCAT." My guess is that your application seemed choppy. Did you briefly mention what led you to an activity, briefly describe what you did if it wasn't obvious, then talk about what you learned about each activity? Did you try to connect your activities with your reason for pursuing medicine?

Definitely did not do that... I doubt that plays that much of a role. my guess is they look at a number of things on top of what you actually did or how you describe it--for example, continuity of experiences, variety of experiences, uniqueness of experiences, trends, etc.

If they have a small admissions committee, I would guess they would want concise, clear descriptions of activities, as there isn't a ton you can learn from shadowing that isn't clear to them already.

I could be wrong, but just throwing out a guess. 😀

Good luck everyone!
 
Definitely did not do that... I doubt that plays that much of a role. my guess is they look at a number of things on top of what you actually did or how you describe it--for example, continuity of experiences, variety of experiences, uniqueness of experiences, trends, etc.

If they have a small admissions committee, I would guess they would want concise, clear descriptions of activities, as there isn't a ton you can learn from shadowing that isn't clear to them already.

I could be wrong, but just throwing out a guess. 😀

Good luck everyone!

I do not think it matters as you did it the concise way and got a LOR request and I did it the more drawn out way explaining why I got involved/what I learned and got a LOR request.

They obviously know what THEY are looking for in a class so I think they can read it both ways and know who they would like to learn more about via the PS, LORs, and interview.
 
I do not think it matters as you did it the concise way and got a LOR request and I did it the more drawn out way explaining why I got involved/what I learned and got a LOR request.

They obviously know what THEY are looking for in a class so I think they can read it both ways and know who they would like to learn more about via the PS, LORs, and interview.

Absolutely--I'm glad they took my LORs and PS, because those really explain me pretty well.
 
I got my LOR request on 7/9, submitted my letters via AMCAS on 7/10, and still have not received the "final review" email.... Anyone else in the same boat?? Was hoping to be in consideration for that first batch of interviews!

Good luck everyone! :luck:

3.6/3.6/33Q


EDIT: Nevermind, lost it in the flood of emails in the inbox. It was sent 7/13.
 
Last edited:
I got my LOR request on 7/9, submitted my letters via AMCAS on 7/10, and still have not received the "final review" email.... Anyone else in the same boat?? Was hoping to be in consideration for that first batch of interviews!

Good luck everyone! :luck:

3.6/3.6/33Q


EDIT: Nevermind, lost it in the flood of emails in the inbox. It was sent 7/13.

So, do you think 3.3/3.3/36 will yield comparable results? Hehe...
 
God I hate that LizzyM crap...it clearly has no bearing on any school except hers

Clearly, a school that matriculates only 42 MD students is going to be very, very picky about interview invites. It would waste everyone's time to invite 1,000 applicants to Rochester, MN only to admit <100 of them (to assemble a class of 42 MD students).

The average MCAT at Mayo is 33 and th average gpa is 3.8 for a LizzyM score of 71. I'd be interested to know what proportion of people who end up being invited for interview are outside of the LizzyM range of 69-73.

The LizzyM score is at its essence a way for applicants to narrow their list of potential schools to those that are a good fit with respect to academic achievement. It is not a guarantee that one will be selected for interview or admission. People who have used it have reported that the schools that invite them for interview are most often the schools that are close to their own LizzyM score.
 
God I hate that LizzyM crap...it clearly has no bearing on any school except hers

Funny, because IIRC Mayo has a policy to screen out LizzyM scores < 63 using that exact same formula....

Literally, the AdCom has stated this (though not attributed to LizzyM)

Edit: And seriously Lizzy, how do you always beat me to the punch =(
 
Last edited:
Clearly, a school that matriculates only 42 MD students is going to be very, very picky about interview invites. It would waste everyone's time to invite 1,000 applicants to Rochester, MN only to admit <100 of them (to assemble a class of 42 MD students).

The average MCAT at Mayo is 33 and th average gpa is 3.8 for a LizzyM score of 71. I'd be interested to know what proportion of people who end up being invited for interview are outside of the LizzyM range of 69-73.

The LizzyM score is at its essence a way for applicants to narrow their list of potential schools to those that are a good fit with respect to academic achievement. It is not a guarantee that one will be selected for interview or admission. People who have used it have reported that the schools that invite them for interview are most often the schools that are close to their own LizzyM score.

okay that sounds great , BUT you're missing my point: to say that just because you have the same LizzyM scores that you should expect the result is crap. I have a 3.72/29R 7VR non URM and people with several std deviations higher score haven't gotten an LOR request whereas I have. I'm sure lizzym is fine for picking schools but to make this koolaid that everyone is drinking is obnoxious.
 
okay that sounds great , BUT you're missing my point: to say that just because you have the same lizzym scores that you should expect the result is crap. I have a 3.72/29R 7VR non URM and people with several std deviations higher score haven't gotten an LOR request whereas I have. I'm sure lizzym is fine for picking schools but to make this koolaid that everyone is drinking is obnoxious.

Has anyone been invited for interview yet? That's the proof of the pudding.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think its a great tool. I picked my school list based off of the LizzyM Scores, and am planning to make a thread at the end of the season for others to see how my interview invitations matched up.Its obvious though that there are many other factors that come into play during the app season. Anyone who takes this score as a definite thing, rather than a guide, is misusing it.
 
Considering we have no idea what adcom LizzyM a part of, I wouldn't really want to have a debate on admissions topics. maybe just me XD

Reminds me of this:

Marshall: Are you sure about this? [the marriage law that states you have to wait 3 days to get married]
Wedding Chapel Worker: Am I sure about the marriage laws in the state in which I work in a wedding chapel? Yeah. Pretty sure.
 
Considering we have no idea what adcom LizzyM a part of, I wouldn't really want to have a debate on admissions topics. maybe just me XD

Reminds me of this:

Marshall: Are you sure about this? [the marriage law that states you have to wait 3 days to get married]
Wedding Chapel Worker: Am I sure about the marriage laws in the state in which I work in a wedding chapel? Yeah. Pretty sure.

👍 love HIMYM
 
Clearly, a school that matriculates only 42 MD students is going to be very, very picky about interview invites. It would waste everyone's time to invite 1,000 applicants to Rochester, MN only to admit <100 of them (to assemble a class of 42 MD students).

The average MCAT at Mayo is 33 and th average gpa is 3.8 for a LizzyM score of 71. I'd be interested to know what proportion of people who end up being invited for interview are outside of the LizzyM range of 69-73.

The LizzyM score is at its essence a way for applicants to narrow their list of potential schools to those that are a good fit with respect to academic achievement. It is not a guarantee that one will be selected for interview or admission. People who have used it have reported that the schools that invite them for interview are most often the schools that are close to their own LizzyM score.

Given that mayo is arguably the most selective school in the country, and interviewee LizzyM range is (assuming, per the above quoted) 69-73, is it a safe bet that a LizzyM of 69 is adequate enough to cut it, at least for an interview, at a fair proportion of the middle and low-upper tier schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure. But don't think this will guarantee anything.

Especially regarding Mayo, they seem to be regarded as one of the most 'holistic' schools of them all. As in they look for students that are extremely diverse, as well as qualified. So going in, you never know whether they will love your application, or think you're trash. Regardless of whether you have a 3.9/30 (69 LizzyM) or a 4.0/40 (80 LizzyM).
 
I think you got your LOR request and letters received. I meant that I haven't gotten anything (including LOR request). xD

oh. hang in there! it took about a week for me to go from fee received to LOR request...and that was in the first week of July, so I'm assuming things might be a bit slower now...it's only been 5 days for ya! 🙂 Goodluck!
 
oh. hang in there! it took about a week for me to go from fee received to LOR request...and that was in the first week of July, so I'm assuming things might be a bit slower now...it's only been 5 days for ya! 🙂 Goodluck!

Patience is not a strong suit in these parts....SDN = super duper neurotic.
 
Patience is not a strong suit in these parts....SDN = super duper neurotic.

haha hey its OK I'm waiting on other secondaries from other schools as well and I'm just as neurotic about those (constantly checking SDN, refreshing my status page...). Trying to keep a positive head through all this!
 
👍👍👍

my favorite show right now, can't wait for season 8

HIMYM is still going on?? I stopped watching once Marshall's dad died-ish time period. It really lost its glam

EDIT: I am obligated to suggest you watch Breaking Bad if you haven't seen it 🙂
 
Just got back from a panel discussion hosted by the Minnesota Medical Association and Minnesota Hospital Association where the Mayo CEO spoke... I can't even explain how excited one could get (read: I get) when listening to him speak about the work they do down there. What an opportunity for anyone who gets to study there!

(Sorry to break up the discussion about some great TV shows...)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview anticipation neurosis... Welp, guess I'll go watch some Breaking Bad (Season 2!) to calm myself!
 
are you guys thinking they will send em tomorrow night (being 235 AM saturday haha).

Also, I wonder how far they will get, like how many people from the 7/3 LOR group will get invites as opposed to the 7/6 and such. I guess at such early stages they didn't have too many apps to go through. Nothing compared to the current amount.

at least they are good about rejecting pretty much within a month after invited so you arent strung along.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.