2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are you guys thinking they will send em tomorrow night (being 235 AM saturday haha).

Also, I wonder how far they will get, like how many people from the 7/3 LOR group will get invites as opposed to the 7/6 and such. I guess at such early stages they didn't have too many apps to go through. Nothing compared to the current amount.

at least they are good about rejecting pretty much within a month after invited so you arent strung along.

If the rumors are true, then I would expect the first batch of interview invites (early) Friday morning. As for interview grouping, it's hard to determine. It really depends on how fast they're going through apps and how many interviews they want to offer at once.
 
I find it very strange that 3 people from this thread simultaneously started watching Breaking Bad.

Netflix ftw, no commercials 🙂

I wish I had all of breaking bad to watch! I hate waiting for the next episode to come out each week. Its so much better to binge watch a whole season in one day 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish I had all of breaking bad to watch! I hate waiting for the next episode to come out each week. Its so much better to binge watch a whole season in one day 😀

Dude I been staying up until 3 watching breaking bad.

The real reason is to wait for the woosh on my phone that tells me I have a new email (cos let's face it, who else sends emails at 3AM in the morning).
 
Dude I been staying up until 3 watching breaking bad.

The real reason is to wait for the woosh on my phone that tells me I have a new email (cos let's face it, who else sends emails at 3AM in the morning).

👍

Yeah, but I'm on pacific time so emails from Mayo come at 11:30 pm for me which is great, cause I can still get to bed at a decent time :laugh:
 
If the rumors are true, then I would expect the first batch of interview invites (early) Friday morning. As for interview grouping, it's hard to determine. It really depends on how fast they're going through apps and how many interviews they want to offer at once.

Did I read somewhere that they are done interviewing around December? If so, that would put it at something like an average of 90 a month...
 
Did I read somewhere that they are done interviewing around December? If so, that would put it at something like an average of 90 a month...
I read the same thing. Although, I read it was because they didn't want to scare away applicants with the cold weather after December. Although I don't know if that 's really the reason.
 
Did I read somewhere that they are done interviewing around December? If so, that would put it at something like an average of 90 a month...

True, but it really depends how they roll out interviews. They could be like Michigan and do them in bunches every few days, or like UChicago/Pitt where they give out interviews to a few people each day of the week...
 
I think someone on last years thread said they roll out interviews biweekly? It was either interviews or acceptances or rankings after the interviews. . I can't remember
 
Would love to see in interview come my way, but my LORs have still not been marked as received even though I assigned them on the 11th after getting the LOR request. 🙁
 
Would love to see in interview come my way, but my LORs have still not been marked as received even though I assigned them on the 11th after getting the LOR request. 🙁

same here. LOR request 7/10. committee letter uploaded 7/12. Still no complete and final review email.
 
same here. LOR request 7/10. committee letter uploaded 7/12. Still no complete and final review email.

I do not want to pester them so I figured I'd give them two weeks and then make a phone call or email someone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Except when it comes time to fly places for interviews. Say the interview starts at 9:00 AM at some east coast school, thats 6:00 AM for me, which probably means I'll have to get up at 5 AM 😱

See, you just have to stop sleeping altogether. I mean, you'll have to for medical school anyway--might as well start early!
 
Except when it comes time to fly places for interviews. Say the interview starts at 9:00 AM at some east coast school, thats 6:00 AM for me, which probably means I'll have to get up at 5 AM 😱

Yeah; but those are isolated/shirt term things - so still jelly. Lol, though given the opportunity to be in Rochester, MN - I'd prefer it over the coast.
 
Submitted Primary: 7/5/12
Request for fee: 7/6/12
Free received: 7/9/12
Request for LOR: 7/11/12
LOR received/in "final review phase": 7/13/12

All in less than a week. cGPA 3.86 sGPA 3.91 26Q MCAT (8 PS, 8 VB, 10 BS)
No research
I have 300+ volunteer hours
200+ shadowing hours

If you don't mind me asking. Do you happen to be an URM? Because I have a little better mcat and have a ton of research in addition to your volunteer and shadowing and still NO request yet. I sent my primary the 2nd week of june 🙁
 
Speaking of watching stuff, I've been rewatching the Batman movie series in anticipation for The Dark Knight Rises coming out tomorrow. Good way to distract yourself while waiting for either an interview or a rejection lol.
 
Speaking of watching stuff, I've been rewatching the Batman movie series in anticipation for The Dark Knight Rises coming out tomorrow. Good way to distract yourself while waiting for either an interview or a rejection lol.

Oh man. I'm so excited for this movie. anyone going tonight?
 
Tomorrow night. The joys of having a job make it so that I can't go to midnight releases anymore. Did it for Harry Potter last year, and will never do it again.
 
The average MCAT at Mayo is 33 and th average gpa is 3.8 for a LizzyM score of 71. I'd be interested to know what proportion of people who end up being invited for interview are outside of the LizzyM range of 69-73.

Has anyone been invited for interview yet? That's the proof of the pudding.

I should be quite telling here. At 3.63/32, I am at 68.3...just below the magic bracket. Non-URM. sGPA only 3.46 (although senior and post-bacc = 4.0). Will let you all know if I'm lucky enough to get an interview invite out of this.

I already consider this season a success just by unexpectedly receiving their LOR request. 😀
 
If you don't mind me asking. Do you happen to be an URM? Because I have a little better mcat and have a ton of research in addition to your volunteer and shadowing and still NO request yet. I sent my primary the 2nd week of june 🙁

I'm not a URM. I'm actually a white male from a state school. Just further evidence that Mayo has the strangest admission criteria.
 
Got the secondary e-mail this morning, getting ready to write a ton of essays, open the link--

"$100 please and thank you."

Well, at least that was easy!
 
Got the secondary e-mail this morning, getting ready to write a ton of essays, open the link--

"$100 please and thank you."

Well, at least that was easy!

I kinda wished that there was an essay; I feel like that would give the opportunity to discuss "why mayo", and relate ones-self to the values of the institution in a way that would create more directed discussion of why the student is a good fit for mayo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I kinda wished that there was an essay; I feel like that would give the opportunity to discuss "why mayo", and relate ones-self to the values of the institution in a way that would create more directed discussion of why the student is a good fit for mayo.

I disagree. I feel like the secondary essays adds little when it comes to differentiating applicants. Everyone wants to go to go to every school for just about the same reasons.

I think more and more schools are opting out of the essay and just taking your money. BU recently changed where they no longer have a real essay.
 
From the school: Interviews should be out by the end of this week.

Interviews start Sept 12ish or so and are every Monday and Friday, save for Black Friday. They continue until Dec. 17th, at which point the season ends.
 
From the school: Interviews should be out by the end of this week.

Interviews start Sept 12ish or so and are every Monday and Friday, save for Black Friday. They continue until Dec. 17th, at which point the season ends.

the end of this week: it has to be a weekday right?
 
Hello everyone! Longtime lurker, but I just became a member. MMS is my ULTIMATE dream school!

Fee Submitted 7/2, LOR 7/7

3.90cGPA, 3.83sGPA, 32M

I'm a MN resident, but I'm not sure if that'll help much for Mayo
 
I disagree. I feel like the secondary essays adds little when it comes to differentiating applicants. Everyone wants to go to go to every school for just about the same reasons.

NoDak? I have a friend from there who just got into med school not long ago, actually wrote his entire personal statement from the perspective of his father's farm. 👍


As for the interview thing, if they do go out this week it looks like the first batch will come out in almost exactly three hours Saturday morning. Unfortunately I've gotten no word back on my LOR/rejection yet. 🙁 As for the MN thing, I heard they tend to pick from the Midwestern ranks, so we can only hope...
 
Last edited:
the end of this week: it has to be a weekday right?


The way the system works (from my understanding) is they input the interview invites or any other correspondence onto their server which generates emails at 2:30 AM. In this regards, if they upload them tomorrow you will hear on Sat AM.

However, this is not saying it will be up tomorrow or saturday...could be next week. The staff is busy with our orientation so there could be a delay.
 
Does being from NoDak qualify you as an URM, or just disadvantaged? 😉

Just kidding. I have a friend from there who just got into med school not long ago, actually wrote his entire personal statement from the perspective of his father's farm. 👍




As for the interview thing, if they do go out this week it looks like the first batch will come out in almost exactly three hours. Unfortunately I've gotten no word back on my LOR/rejection yet. :( As for the MN thing, I heard they tend to pick from the Midwestern ranks, so we can only hope...

Our class has a few from MN as well as a decent amount from midwest. However, there are a few from NY, a handful of us from Cali, and some from other states in the south. I don't think they descriminate based off of location but rather want a diverse group (and it really is diverse)
 
Our class has a few from MN as well as a decent amount from midwest. However, there are a few from NY, a handful of us from Cali, and some from other states in the south. I don't think they descriminate based off of location but rather want a diverse group (and it really is diverse)

Thanks for the info, I had always heard they had a good representation from the Midwesterners. I feel bad for those Cali kids though... hope they get a trip over to the AZ campus for the winter. Have a great orientation! Mind nudging my AMCAS application onto the 'interview invite' pile? 😉
 
Thanks for the info, I had always heard they had a good representation from the Midwesterners. I feel bad for those Cali kids though... hope they get a trip over to the AZ campus for the winter. Have a great orientation! Mind nudging my AMCAS application onto the 'interview invite' pile? 😉

So are interview invites coming out Friday morning or Sat morning?
 
So are interview invites coming out Friday morning or Sat morning?

If they are to come out, I would trust the person that's already in MMS and say Saturday morning. However, if they are having orientation this week I can imagine there's an extra stress on their rather small AdCom, so as he suggested maybe it'll be delayed a week. Fine by me. 👍
 
Thanks for the info, I had always heard they had a good representation from the Midwesterners. I feel bad for those Cali kids though... hope they get a trip over to the AZ campus for the winter. Have a great orientation! Mind nudging my AMCAS application onto the 'interview invite' pile? 😉

Haha, if only I had the power to do that...

In regards to the winter, I am sure it will be a challenge for us but nothing we can't handle. It will make us stronger :meanie:

So are interview invites coming out Friday morning or Sat morning?


No one knows, accept for the deans and the admissions staff. It could be next week if unexpected delays come up, so don't get too worked up.



Also, I just wanted to say that even if you don't hear back right away, it doesn't mean you are done. Because so few get an interview....can't predict anything about here!
 
If they are to come out, I would trust the person that's already in MMS and say Saturday morning. However, if they are having orientation this week I can imagine there's an extra stress on their rather small AdCom, so as he suggested maybe it'll be delayed a week. Fine by me. 👍

1) Bah, for some reason I was getting really amped for tonight.
2) North Dakota is the best 70,762 sq miles on this planet. Only state in the union that consists of 3 straight lines and one janky line.

I saw your hate filled post before you edited it. Never cross into this territory or harm will come to you.
 
Last edited:
1) Bah, for some reason I was getting really amped for tonight.
2) North Dakota is the best 70,762 sq miles on this planet. Only state in the union that consists of 3 straight lines and one janky line.


One thing I wanted to relay about MMS; during our financial aid portion of orientation, we were asked to raise our hands if we had received more than the guaranteed $15,000 scholarship; every single hand went up.

The speaker went on to say that they like to set your expectations low and surprise you. We heard the same thing in regards to how to manage our stress.

So to all applicants I say: Set you expectations low and be ready to be surprised (Hopefully)!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing I wanted to relay about MMS; during our financial aid portion of orientation, we were asked to raise our hands if we had received more than the guaranteed $15,000 scholarship; every single hand went up.

The speaker went on to say that they like to set your expectations low and surprise you. We heard the same thing in regards to how to manage our stress.

So to all applicants I say: Set you expectations low and be ready to be surprised (Hopefully)!!!!

I love how you quoted me for that.

That's pretty incredible though.
 
I disagree. I feel like the secondary essays adds little when it comes to differentiating applicants. Everyone wants to go to go to every school for just about the same reasons.

I think more and more schools are opting out of the essay and just taking your money. BU recently changed where they no longer have a real essay.


I'm with you. The things you are doing and the things you have done should speak for themselves--you shouldn't have to explain your passions (at least, to a certain extent).
 
1) Bah, for some reason I was getting really amped for tonight.
2) North Dakota is the best 70,762 sq miles on this planet. Only state in the union that consists of 3 straight lines and one janky line.

I saw your hate filled post before you edited it. Never cross into this territory or harm will come to you.

1) Could still happen...
2) I don't know how that justifies it being a great place, but I actually have loved North Dakota upon every visit. The economy isn't in bad shape either; kudos oil boom.
3) Wasn't meant to be hateful; I did edit it though because you hadn't addressed it anyways and I needed to strike through the tonight thing to prevent misinformation (and not get people's hopes up).
4) Are you applying to UND this cycle?
5) Your avatar is about 50% of what I drank during my last visit to Grand Forks, the other 50% was coca-cola.
6) Mayo's financial aid packages are like that guy with elephantiasis, just absurdly large in all the right places.
 
Also, I don't want to put out the wrong information regarding the financial situation here.

Yes, we are taken care of very well, but that should not be the only reason to attend MMS. The opportunities are abundant (every speaker offers up now ideas) and the school is world class. But you have to be ready to be immersed in being a Mayo Physician and everything that entails; it is not for everyone. If it is for you, though, you will be taken care of here
 
Status
Not open for further replies.