2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got the LOR request over the weekend! Very surprised after seeing some of the numbers that were rejected. Definitely seems that Mayo is more than just numbers. Mine were 3.9 and 32 MCAT. Have some pretty unique ECs though.

Payment Request July 6
Payment Received July 11
Intermediate Screening email July 12 (had a question about biochemistry)
LOR request July 14
 
Last edited:
first rejection (._.)

Same here, but looking at this thread, I am in good company, which makes me feel much better. Maybe we're just getting all the bad news out of the way first so we can rake in all our good news later 😛


Good luck to everyone who is still in the running! 😀
 
Submitted the fee on the 11th and still no LOR request.

I'm a re-applicant and got one last year with what I feel was much less impressive app; 35 and 3.80 GPA.
 
Hey guys, I submitted my LORs on the 11th after being requested and have not received a LOR received email. Anyone else in the same/similar situation?
 
Hm. My LORs were requested on the 9th. I got the email that they were received on the 13th.

Granted, I had already assigned them in AMCAS when I submitted the primary in June, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
 
You sir, are helpful.

Any idea the time gap between II and LOR requests rather than the concrete date?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but from what I've seen it's usually only a couple of days to a week to get a LOR request after submitting "II". My fee was received the 9th and I got a request for LOR on the 11. From most people I've seen, it's been a pretty quick turn around.
 
I'm asking about how many days were in between the first interview invites and the first LOR requests from last year.

Since this year applicant information was held until June 29th there might be a skew if you look at just the hard date. I'm guessing it will take them the same amount of time as last year to review those LOR-requested folks and offer interview invites.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm asking about how many days were in between the first interview invites and the first LOR requests from last year.

Since this year applicant information was held until June 29th there might be a skew if you look at just the hard date. I'm guessing it will take them the same amount of time as last year to review those LOR-requested folks and offer interview invites.

Oh, I see. I think I saw it was about 2-3 weeks until the first rounds were offered. Don't remember the exact dates though.
 
If I had to put money on a time and date for the first interview invite, I would say 2:33 AM EST on July 28th
 
I got my LOR request 7/10. I didn't have my committee letter uploaded to AMCAS till 7/12. Still haven't gotten the final review email yet. I called the admissions office and they said that it could take 2-5 weeks! ("HIGH VOLUME"). Hoping for the best!
 
Rejected 7/16 8:13 AM - BCPM 3.87 Overall: 3.88, 34R ... Sigh..

Rejected, 4.0, 35Q...🙁

first rejection (._.)

Same here, but looking at this thread, I am in good company, which makes me feel much better. Maybe we're just getting all the bad news out of the way first so we can rake in all our good news later 😛


Good luck to everyone who is still in the running! 😀

[YOUTUBE]rY0WxgSXdEE[/YOUTUBE]

Don't worry guys, you clearly have excellent shots elsewhere. Good luck in your cycle! I'm sure I'll be playing this song soon too 😀 Mayo is very particular! Still crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath...
 
Post LOR request does Mayo issue interview invites to the ones they like and reject the ones they don't. Or do they put you on hold and rereview you laterif you don't get an interview invite the when your time comes ?
 
Don't bet your life savings.

First interview invites are going out this week!

Which day? (so I can freak out only the day before and not the entire week)

Post LOR request does Mayo issue interview invites to the ones they like and reject the ones they don't. Or do they put you on hold and rereview you laterif you don't get an interview invite the when your time comes ?

Also would like to know this..
 
In orientation today we were told late this week for interviews and that they have recieved 1200 apps (or have reviewed 1200 apps) so far
 
I was verified last week and I got the e-mail to pay the fee. I paid it on Friday but I haven't received any e-mail with a receipt or that they received the payment. I checked on my credit card payment and it's there. I am getting really worried now. Did anyone get any delays like this?
 
I was verified last week and I got the e-mail to pay the fee. I paid it on Friday but I haven't received any e-mail with a receipt or that they received the payment. I checked on my credit card payment and it's there. I am getting really worried now. Did anyone get any delays like this?

Takes like 2 or 3 days to get the "fee received" email. Don't worry man. And you submitted Friday so give it at least till Thursday.
 
Takes like 2 or 3 days to get the "fee received" email. Don't worry man. And you submitted Friday so give it at least till Thursday.
thanks!

EDIT: Just got the e-mail, I guess I spoke too soon. I'm so excited!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also got mine today.

:xf:

I feel like my body is going to wake up at 2:30 AM to Mayo's rejection email, haha. Their automated system loves the late night emails.
 
Don't bet your life savings.

First interview invites are going out this week!

Oh wow! I am giddy with anticipation... Here we go folks!

I'm trying not to be too anxious, but it's been so long since I had an interview invite...

Good luck to everyone being considered!

Wisco1--thanks for your continued support and feedback even though you've gone on and graduated from the pre-med forums, haha...
 
Last edited:
Well, nothing on my end 🙁

lol @ the others that may have checked at 11:30ish (PST)
 
Those of you who were rejected/LoR requested/interview invited, can you post your MCAT/GPA/EC strength? It could be helpful to see who they're taking and who they aren't this early on. This is arguably the most selective school in the country (based on raw percentage this is fact), so it'd be interesting to see.
 
Those of you who were rejected/LoR requested/interview invited, can you post your MCAT/GPA/EC strength? It could be helpful to see who they're taking and who they aren't this early on. This is arguably the most selective school in the country (based on raw percentage this is fact), so it'd be interesting to see.

Its all over the board. Mayo is sending LOR requests to those with 3.6/30 and rejecting those with 4.0/40 and vise versa. Mayo takes who they want and rejects the others. Comparing stats and subjective ECs is what makes SDN neurotic.
 
Its all over the board. Mayo is sending LOR requests to those with 3.6/30 and rejecting those with 4.0/40 and vise versa. Mayo takes who they want and rejects the others. Comparing stats and subjective ECs is what makes SDN neurotic.

👍
I think SDN stands for "Super Duper Neurotic", not a flame you want to carry.

I have a 3.72sci/29MCAT 7VR and got a LOR request, but I have some big EC's. It seems that schools approach applicants holistically a lot more than SDN gives them credit for...
 
Those of you who were rejected/LoR requested/interview invited, can you post your MCAT/GPA/EC strength? It could be helpful to see who they're taking and who they aren't this early on. This is arguably the most selective school in the country (based on raw percentage this is fact), so it'd be interesting to see.

34 MCAT and 4.0/4.0 GPAs

ECs: Thousands of hours of non-clinical/lots of leadership, chess tutor, ~50 hours of shadowing, ~60 hours of clinical volunteering, no research
 
34 MCAT and 4.0/4.0 GPAs

ECs: Thousands of hours of non-clinical/lots of leadership, chess tutor, ~50 hours of shadowing, ~60 hours of clinical volunteering, no research

3.94 cGPA/3.96 sGPA, 40S MCAT
ECs: Shadowing (~15 hours), Clinical Volunteering (~100 hours), Community volunteer leader (~120 hours), 4+ years research in 3 labs (1 middle author pub), Peer Adviser during college (~80 hours), Paid tutor at children's learning center (~50 hours)
 
  • Like
Reactions: LFF
3.94 cGPA/3.96 sGPA, 40S MCAT
ECs: Shadowing (~15 hours), Clinical Volunteering (~100 hours), Community volunteer leader (~120 hours), 4+ years research in 3 labs (1 middle author pub), Peer Adviser during college (~80 hours), Paid tutor at children's learning center (~50 hours)

You were rejected?
 
What I basically said would be useless information is even more useless as people are not even saying if they received a LOR invite or if they were rejected.

C'mon guys....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guys from this point with no interview invites yet the people getting rejected are Pre-LOR. Based on last years thread mayo will send out batches of interview invites and then after they have sent a couple II will begin rejecting post-LOR. The rejections now are all Pre-lot I'm pretty sure.
 
This has been said before but here it goes:

Yes, Mayo may be looking for some minimum number of hours doing X and Y, but you can do all the things in the world and if you didn't explain on AMCAS what you learned from those things, then they were useless in Mayo's eyes.

I keep seeing people say "I did this for 1000 hours" and "I did that for 5000 hours with a 10.0 GPA and 80 MCAT." My guess is that your application seemed choppy. Did you briefly mention what led you to an activity, briefly describe what you did if it wasn't obvious, then talk about what you learned about each activity? Did you try to connect your activities with your reason for pursuing medicine?
 
this has been said before but here it goes:

Yes, mayo may be looking for some minimum number of hours doing x and y, but you can do all the things in the world and if you didn't explain on amcas what you learned from those things, then they were useless in mayo's eyes.

I keep seeing people say "i did this for 1000 hours" and "i did that for 5000 hours with a 10.0 gpa and 80 mcat." my guess is that your application seemed choppy. Did you briefly mention what led you to an activity, briefly describe what you did if it wasn't obvious, then talk about what you learned about each activity? Did you try to connect your activities with your reason for pursuing medicine?

+1
 
This has been said before but here it goes:

Yes, Mayo may be looking for some minimum number of hours doing X and Y, but you can do all the things in the world and if you didn't explain on AMCAS what you learned from those things, then they were useless in Mayo's eyes.

I keep seeing people say "I did this for 1000 hours" and "I did that for 5000 hours with a 10.0 GPA and 80 MCAT." My guess is that your application seemed choppy. Did you briefly mention what led you to an activity, briefly describe what you did if it wasn't obvious, then talk about what you learned about each activity? Did you try to connect your activities with your reason for pursuing medicine?

I hate Mayo and everyone associated with it!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.