2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick logistical question: It appears that flying into Minneapolis is a lot cheaper than into Rochester, so is there a shuttle bus that I can take from the Minneapolis to Mayo? If someone could post the best (and cheapest) way to get to the med school, I'd really appreciate it! Also for a Monday interview, would flying in Sunday and flying out Tuesday give me enough time to get a feel for the school and city? Thanks so much!
 
Quick logistical question: It appears that flying into Minneapolis is a lot cheaper than into Rochester, so is there a shuttle bus that I can take from the Minneapolis to Mayo? If someone could post the best (and cheapest) way to get to the med school, I'd really appreciate it! Also for a Monday interview, would flying in Sunday and flying out Tuesday give me enough time to get a feel for the school and city? Thanks so much!

I have a interview scheduled for Monday 10/1, and I'll be flying to MSP on Sunday, then taking the Go Rochester Direct shuttle from MSP to Kahler. The shuttle costs about $27 one way, while flying directly to RST would've cost me about $150 more each way plus a cab trip from the airport to my student host's apartment.
 
Quick logistical question: It appears that flying into Minneapolis is a lot cheaper than into Rochester, so is there a shuttle bus that I can take from the Minneapolis to Mayo? If someone could post the best (and cheapest) way to get to the med school, I'd really appreciate it! Also for a Monday interview, would flying in Sunday and flying out Tuesday give me enough time to get a feel for the school and city? Thanks so much!


GoRochester Direct or Rochester shuttle are both good options and have Mayo discounts *not sure if you guys are eligible though but its worth a shot*

Flying in on sunday is a must and leaving on tuesday would give you time to explore the city.
 
Thanks forsparta and collegestud2013 for the advice! Yeah, it's much cheaper for me to fly into Minneapolis also so I'll take that shuttle to Mayo's campus. Good luck with your interviews!!!
 
Well.. this is my stop. I had fun.

May this train take you to faraway places!

Best of luck to you all!

C: 7/24
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think 7/24 has been fully processed yet. I mean, we've seen 2 II's and 2 rejections. That's not a whole lot for how many 7/24 people are probably represented on this thread.

I'm 7/24 and still no word over here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile.
 
I don't think 7/24 has been fully processed yet. I mean, we've seen 2 II's and 2 rejections. That's not a whole lot for how many 7/24 people are probably represented on this thread.

I'm 7/24 and still no word over here.

C: 7/6 and no news 😕
For Sparta, do you recommend calling the admissions committee or are you guys busy this week with orientation?
 
I am 8/6.
I am also 8/6.

8/6 is for Pacific (11:30 PM) emails and is the same as 8/7 Mountain (12:30 AM), Central (1:30 AM) and Eastern (2:30 AM). I am assuming that's the mix up for you Westerners?

I don't think 7/24 has been fully processed yet. I mean, we've seen 2 II's and 2 rejections. That's not a whole lot for how many 7/24 people are probably represented on this thread.

I'm 7/24 and still no word over here.

In no way do they have to go chronologically either. I believe it was either Wisco or Sparta that mentioned the processing of your application really ends up coming down to whose pile it ends up on. Reading into the dates too much is not helpful.

C: 7/6 and no news 😕
For Sparta, do you recommend calling the admissions committee or are you guys busy this week with orientation?

What do you intend to say?

If you've received no word, you're still in the running. They won't leave you hanging if they don't have an interest in your application. They may be waiting to see what other types of applications they get to determine if they want to give you a shot with an II. Keep calm and carry on!
 
In no way do they have to go chronologically either. I believe it was either Wisco or Sparta that mentioned the processing of your application really ends up coming down to whose pile it ends up on. Reading into the dates too much is not helpful.

Yeah, I know. I just think they haven't really gotten into the 7/24 group as no one past that has heard anything yet either (at least those on this forum). Maybe being busy with orientation has slowed some of the reviewers or something as notifications in general have been down the last week or so.

Hopefully things pick up here this week or next :xf:

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile.
 
Payment request - August 12
Payment received - August 14
LOR Request - August 16
File complete and under review - August 20
 
I have a interview scheduled for Monday 10/1, and I'll be flying to MSP on Sunday, then taking the Go Rochester Direct shuttle from MSP to Kahler. The shuttle costs about $27 one way, while flying directly to RST would've cost me about $150 more each way plus a cab trip from the airport to my student host's apartment.
How did you get a student host, did they assign you one after you picked which interview date you wanted?
 
Rejected today 🙁

Best of luck to the rest of you still in the running!

Complete 7/24
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I had a lot of free time after I graduated, but before I found a job lol

PS: because of your comment my view count is going to skyrocket today 😀


Who am I supposed to eat Pizza Rolls with in Rochester now? 🙁

And psh, I'm going to set a script to F5 your page for the next hour and outpace NickNaylor's MDApps 😉

You will kill it at your WF interview, good luck! :luck:
 
Who am I supposed to eat Pizza Rolls with in Rochester now? 🙁

And psh, I'm going to set a script to F5 your page for the next hour and outpace NickNaylor's MDApps 😉

You will kill it at your WF interview, good luck! :luck:

I'll find someone for you to each pizza roles with after I get off work this evening 😉 (interpret this as image pending)

LOL. If only I had the stats of NickNaylor 😍

Thanks! I'm really excited about my WF interview and extremely interested in their MD/MS program!

That is one cool profile 👍

Thanks!
 
I'll find someone for you to each pizza roles with after I get off work this evening 😉 (interpret this as image pending)

One second before you find me that special 'someone'.

mylifeistopgun.tumblr.gif


Alriiiiight, good to go. 👍



:laugh:
 
... Removed via request

Sorry PreMedOrDead. The image I made for you I took down. I may work on something else for you, but I do not really have any other ideas at this point.
 
Last edited:
... Removed via request

Sorry PreMedOrDead. The image I made for you I took down. I may work on something else for you, but I do not really have any other ideas at this point.

You can always PM it to me... I don't believe that violates TOS if that's the problem.

I tend to enjoy candlelight dinners, romantic comedies, and sunset horseback rides on the beach... oh wait, uh, admissions, Mayo, uh, yeah.

Hey guys! ... I think there will be updates in about 23 minutes...

Yeah. That's what I was getting at.

:xf::luck:
 
You can always PM it to me... I don't believe that violates TOS if that's the problem.

I tend to enjoy candlelight dinners, romantic comedies, and sunset horseback rides on the beach... oh wait, uh, admissions, Mayo, uh, yeah.

Hey guys! ... I think there will be updates in about 23 minutes...

Yeah. That's what I was getting at.

:xf::luck:

I can always rely on this thread to put a smile on my face. You guys (and girls) are awesome.

I also booked my flight yesterday. Can't wait. 🙂
 
Day 53: I haven't been able to sleep before 2:33 AM EST in almost two months now. Delirium is slowly settling in. Must. Achieve. Acceptance.

I can always rely on this thread to put a smile on my face. You guys (and girls) are awesome.

I also booked my flight yesterday. Can't wait. 🙂

I do my best to be both informative and lighthearted in their respective doses.

Either way, I'm so much cooler online.
 
Day 53: I haven't been able to sleep before 2:33 AM EST in almost two months now. Delirium is slowly settling in. Must. Achieve. Acceptance.

I do my best to be both informative and lighthearted in their respective doses.

Either way, I'm so much cooler online.

Haha well your efforts are much appreciated. Plus, I think we're all a little more boring in person than real life 😉

Also, it's been 2 months for me haha! But the past couple of weeks, I've been sleeping at 6-7am 😳
 
I have a theory:

It's called the Mayo test. If you receive the LOR request from Mayo, this is generally a good indicator that you will likely gain an acceptance somewhere.


Here's to hoping it's at MMS:luck:

I really hope you are right. 🙂 :xf:

I am a little late to the party.

Paid fee - 8/10
LOR Request - 8/23

So it took me 13 days to get that LOR request (lucky number 13 :luck:).

Others may not think that getting that LOR request is a big deal, but for me, it is a HUGE honor. I am humbled that they were even willing to take a second look at me. :soexcited: It means a lot that a top school at least did a double take.
 
I really hope you are right. 🙂 :xf:

I am a little late to the party.

Paid fee - 8/10
LOR Request - 8/23

So it took me 13 days to get that LOR request (lucky number 13 :luck:).

Others may not think that getting that LOR request is a big deal, but for me, it is a HUGE honor. I am humbled that they were even willing to take a second look at me. :soexcited: It means a lot that a top school at least did a double take.

Congrats!

Your avatar, your name, your humility... I like you.

If you bring Pizza Rolls* you may have a shot at the leadership committee here in the "Come on, Mayo, give me a shot!" club. We're a highly prestigious organization that is nationally recognized by admissions committees. Can you say resume inflation?

*Note: Meetings, due to budget constraints, are now BYOPRs. Be aware that's bring your own Pizza Rolls, not Puerto Ricans (looking at you, DAPI). However, we at COMGMAS! actively seek diversity and those of Puerto Rican descent will be welcomed with open arms.
 
Last edited:
Congrats!

Your avatar, your name, your humility... I like you.

If you bring Pizza Rolls* you may have a shot at the leadership committee here in the "Come on, Mayo, give me a shot!" club. We're a highly prestigious organization that is nationally recognized by admissions committees. Can you say resume inflation?

*Note: Meetings, due to budget constraints, are now BYOPRs. Be aware that's bring your own Pizza Rolls, not Puerto Ricans (looking at you, DAPI). However, we at COMGMAS! actively seek diversity and those of Puerto Rican descent will be welcomed with open arms.

Thank you. You seem like a very chill person too.

Can I bring my friends? I attached a pic of them, and snu snu isn't the only thing that they like. 😀
 

Attachments

  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 166
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received LOR request... does anyone know approximately what percentage of people they request LORs from get interviews? i.e. like 50% ?

I think more like 20%, from a post by forsparta on page 1: ~1300 LOR and ~300 interviews, ~70 acceptances for 42 MD-only spots!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.